PDA

View Full Version : Sam Dower Notes from TCC

MississppiZag
07-14-2008, 04:09 AM
From Rivals-

This evening the playoff round began in the Twin Cities Summer Classic sponsored by Best Buy. The top teams in the event advanced and there are some interesting match-ups on the docket for tomorrow. As far as the stars go, guys like Trent Lockett stepped up in the playoffs to make a sizable impact.

Michael J Much
Dower made several jumphooks
Through pool play in Saturday and Sunday morning competition the winners of the four pairings were the top 43 Hoops squad, the Illinois Wolves, Net Gain, and Big Game Sports. And in round two action tomorrow morning its shaped up to be Net Gain vs. the MSB Roadrunners, the Illinois Wolves vs. 94 Feet of Game, 43 Hoops vs. the MN Comets Elite, and Big Game vs. Team Missouri.

Net Gain easily handled the Minnesota Mustangs in round one and they played a solid team game all around. The big attraction was Sam Dower who had Rick Majerus and Todd Lickliter watching closely. The 6-foot-9 Dower had a nice showing and the majority of his makes came off jumphooks from varying positions. Dower loves to dip the shoulder right and finish left and against the smaller Mustangs he did it at will.

One thing to take notice of in this game was Dower's incredible hands. He was able to reach and snatch a few boards that were well out of his area and then ultimately finish plays or ignite the offense in the other direction. And the best showing of his hands was a steal on the wing where he tapped the ball away and then tapped it to himself with opponents scurrying. He then preceded upcourt as a big in transition crossing-over one defender and continuing his push. Sam would then lose the ball for a second but regain it and then continue in motion to softly lay the ball in the rim. It was a very impressive play for a 6-foot-9 player.

Net Gain ran some four out motion and Dower handles himself well on the perimeter. Now what coaches are looking for more is the physical part. Can he handle himself on the glass against high major size and competition?

MZ- I am slightly wondering why none of our coaches are ever mentioned in Dower's articles? Hopefully they don't cool down too much.

spudzag
07-14-2008, 07:04 AM
I would be surprised if Few has cooled on Dower, but you never know. He appears to fit the bill pretty well, lots of upside, but needing a little more time to develop and refine his game. The kind of kid the BCS will pass over.

Butler Guy
07-14-2008, 07:08 AM
I would be surprised if Few has cooled on Dower, but you never know. He appears to fit the bill pretty well, lots of upside, but needing a little more time to develop and refine his game. The kind of kid the BCS will pass over.Both Iowa and Indiana have offered Dower. I am actually "premium" at both team's Rivals sites, so I get to read some of the "privileged" info on this particular player. At this point, I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't become a Hawkeye.

spudzag
07-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Both Iowa and Indiana have offered Dower. At this point, I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't become a Hawkeye.

Hum, Dower out, that narrows the list somethat unpleasently.

MississppiZag
07-14-2008, 11:21 AM
I don't see any truth to that. He has said that George Mason and Gonzaga are his leaders, and the two teams that are recruiting him the most. I don't see him going anywhere besides one of two. I would be shocked if his choice was not us.

ZagNative
07-14-2008, 11:32 AM
I'm getting ready to call in the Raising Arizona crew (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1ygicB5y-0) for help, because it's obvious Few & Co. ain't getting it done. We need to get Ed on the job, because she won't take "no" for an answer in the recruiting wars ...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Misc/RaisingArizona.jpg

ED: You go right back up there and get me a verbal! I
need a recruit, Hi; they got more'n they can handle!

HI: Aw honey I-

ED: Don't you come back here without a verbal!We ain't lookin' for Nathan, Jr. here. That would be too much to ask, but Sam Dower would be plenty good enough.

GUZag08
07-14-2008, 01:08 PM
how are Few & co. not gettin it done? So according to one source Iowa and Indiana offered. That has nothing to do with GU recruiting...other schools are allowed to offer him.

This just shows that Few was getting the job done, as he put GU in the position to be in the top 2 of a player who is now getting High-Major offers.

MississppiZag
07-14-2008, 01:15 PM
Nice:D Welcome aboard.

We are in the top 2, and i am sure TKR will stay in contact with Dower and Coach Watts. The board will know where he stands after another intereview from Dower or his coach, if he has changed his mind with in the last week or so. As of now we are in the driver's seat.

theothegreat21
07-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Here is a link to a blog that has been covering this tournament. There are numerous mentions of both Sam Dower and Kevin Noreen. Should Net Gain go undefeated today, the championship game will be tomorrow

http://tchoops.blogspot.com/2008/07/sunday-action-at-twin-cities-summer.html

ZagNative
07-15-2008, 07:32 AM
Rivals – GophersIllustrated.com – Ryan James – TC Summer Classic Day 3 (http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=826918)

The Twin Cities Summer Classic event hosted by the 43 Hoops Basketball Club is down to tomorrow's championship contests. At the 17s level it will be a match-up between Net Gain and 43 Hoops featuring a great post battle of Wisconsin commit Mike Bruesewitz against Sam Dower. Overall the Monday games produced excitement at the 43 Hoops Basketball Academy

.…

Dower made a couple shots today where MSB's bigs bodied Sam hard but he still extended with that pterodactyl like wing span to finish and the contact didn't seem to have an effect. Exclusively Dower went to the right shoulder dip, left-handed hook and on that move he has great footwork. It will be interesting to see his counter off that combination set tomorrow when he faces players of greater length. Inside Sam did a fine job of swatting shots but his rebounding numbers were not that high.
….

NET GAIN vs. ILLINOIS WOLVESThe pair of top 150 kids on Net Gain (Lockett and Dower) were much better today then the Wolves top 150 pair of Diamond Taylor and Joseph Bertrand as Net Gain was victorious 65-55.

Lockett's early buckets were creatively made off the dribble and they included an up-fake step-through finished at the rim and a multi-fake move finished with a fading jumper. Trent then did a strong job of making several more attempts in the paint. As far as Dower goes he was quiet offensively until the second half. Sam would then hit a three, score a lay-in pushing the ball from mid-court, and then Dower made two game clinching buckets in the final minute
.….
Diamond Taylor seems to be a trusted defensive player as the Wolves coaches put him on Cole Stefan to shadow the top Nets shooter. He worked hard on both ends but once again Taylor made only a pair of field goals shooting less then 20 percent for the game. He had a number of shots blocked particularly by Sam Dower who pinned a couple of them on the glass
.…
Attending today's games were head coaches Tubby Smith, Rick Majerus, and Matt Doherty. Coaches from Oral Roberts, Valpo, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Drake, Arizona State, Wisconsin, Western Illinois. Southern Illinois, Northern Iowa, and many others were present.

Tubby Smith was present at both of Sam Dower's games today as the Gophers are evaluating the top 150 forward. Dower said today that Marquette has not yet offered from what he knows and the teams he likes the most right now are Gonzaga, Saint Louis, George Mason, and Iowa. Rick Majerus has been at all but one of Dower's games.

ZagNative
07-15-2008, 07:44 AM
It is only fitting that ZN's 4,000th post should be a pic. Hope Pterodactyl Sam will be swooping down on the campus on Boone in 2009:

http://www.copyrightexpired.com/earlyimage/pterodactyl_tdu_1902_john_unknown.gif

BroncoZAG615
07-15-2008, 07:48 AM
Both Iowa and Indiana have offered Dower. I am actually "premium" at both team's Rivals sites, so I get to read some of the "privileged" info on this particular player. At this point, I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't become a Hawkeye.

I'm curious to know what sort of "priviliged" and "premium" coverage you get from Rivals?

I am premium on a couple of Rivals pages (I wouldn't waste money on the Big Ten though ;) ) Either my Rivals pages suck or the only add on premium information I get is from message boards which can be trusted but should be taken with a grain of salt. Other than that I can view anything about any player no matter what schools look at them. Unless you and Jerry Meyer are meeting for some bagel sandwiches I don't quite buy that he is virtually a hawkeye lock (why would someone lean Hawkeye).

I hope you can give us a little snippet of your premium information. That would be super.