PDA

View Full Version : Lute: "No More One-and-Done Players"

Angelo Roncalli
07-11-2008, 11:08 AM
"It's a situation now that if someone's a 'one-and-done,' we're not going to pursue them anymore, no way," Olson told the Los Angeles Times on Thursday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3483221

MickMick
07-11-2008, 01:44 PM
You can't predict such things. An agent can change a kids mind in a short while.

Look how outside influences changed Brock Osweiler's mind. Young people are volatile in their decision making.

HillBillyZag
07-11-2008, 01:53 PM
A man after my own heart. We are NOT simply a developmental league for the NBA.

BroncoZAG615
07-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Lute three months from now:

"That was not what I said, that comment was taken out of context, we are trying to win a championship at Arizona"

zag67
07-11-2008, 02:18 PM
I think that the statement that he is making, is that some incoming players are already planning on going pro the next year. Knowing this, I would have to agree with him, that this is a person that I do not want to spend hours trying to recruit and then teach how to play our system. Especially when he knows the player is leaving the next year.

Now, there will be execptions, like where a player comes in and does such a great job, that he now recognizes that he will be a top lottery pick. At this time I think he should talk to the coach, but most would realize that this is OK. Or you might have a team that is one type of player short and the rest are all upper class members. So you grab this one player to create the nucleus. I would not want to keep recruiting 1 year players to try and mold into our system. It would mean that each year the system would be built around a player that would leave the next year.

MedZag
07-11-2008, 02:28 PM
I think that the statement that he is making, is that some incoming players are already planning on going pro the next year. Knowing this, I would have to agree with him, that this is a person that I do not want to spend hours trying to recruit and then teach how to play our system. Especially when he knows the player is leaving the next year.

Now, there will be execptions, like where a player comes in and does such a great job, that he now recognizes that he will be a top lottery pick. At this time I think he should talk to the coach, but most would realize that this is OK. Or you might have a team that is one type of player short and the rest are all upper class members. So you grab this one player to create the nucleus. I would not want to keep recruiting 1 year players to try and mold into our system. It would mean that each year the system would be built around a player that would leave the next year.

Just to play a little devils advocate... its easy to demonize the "one and done"ers after this years excessive crop, the Mayo scandal, all the hoopla about Jennings, etc.

But what about athletes like Kevin Durant or Greg Oden? Great, humble guys who got good grades, really bought into their team's system, bonded with the student body, continue to take classes at their institutions, and for all intents and purposes were great ambassadors for their programs? Personally I would have loved to have had Oden at GU for a year, not just for the skills he brought on the court, but for the goofy smile, sense of humor, and the "nicer than heck" attitude.

My problem with Lute's proclamation is it throws all recruits with a certain level of talent under a certain stereotype. Is the hoopla, the agents, the egos, etc of certain "one-and-done"ers cancerous to a team or program? You bet it. But there are still players would there I would love to have at GU even if I knew we would only have them for a year. But that has more to do with how they carry themselves off the court than on.

CDC84
07-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Meanwhile, guys like Roy Williams, John Calipari, Thad Matta, and Tim Floyd are privately celebrating this decision by Coach Olson......

BTW...he's got a guy on his own team in Chase Budinger who most felt was a one and doner. I did as well. It ended up not being the case. He's also had guys bail who he thought would stay.

zagfan24
07-11-2008, 02:54 PM
A man after my own heart. We are NOT simply a developmental league for the NBA.

We weren't...until the NBA made us one.

In any case, a very small fraction of players go to the NBA, and an even smaller fraction go after one year. I agree that I would have welcomed Oden, Durant, Love, Rose, etc. to GU in a heartbeat. They elevated their programs and all of them left their teams better off for having played there.

If a player is coming only because he has to, and lets his attitude about that be very clear, that would be another issue. I don't see that type of player coming to Gonzaga, anyway.

zag67
07-11-2008, 04:33 PM
So ZagFan, this time I get to be the devil's advocate. Suppose that a player like Rose was available this year. Would you bring him in and bench Pargo? How about Adam Morrison for Durrante? Love or Oden and bench Batiste or Ronnie? I think that bringing one of them in that fits the right situation would be fine, but if the timing was wrong, it could really hurt your program in the long run.

But I do understand what you are saying and I do agree when the timing is right.