PDA

View Full Version : Honeycutt

BobZag
07-11-2008, 09:06 AM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/768563.html

Tyler Honeycutt, 6-7 SF Sylmar (Calif.) High. After dominating the first session of camp, Honeycutt picked up right where he left off, as he was dazzling in a game Thursday night. Honeycutt showed everything you’d want to see from a prospect, whether it was rebounding, shooting, great passing, blocking shots…he was all over the court. He also had the play of the summer so far when he threw down a reverse dunk off a rebound.

Anthony Stover, 6-8 C La Canada (Calif.) Renaissance. Stover is easily the best shot-blocker in the West Coast class of 2009 and he was swatting everything in an afternoon game. Stover has great timing and his length frequently surprises opposing shooters who don’t realize he’s going to get their shot. Stover also showed off improved footwork in the post. It’s just a matter of time before all the West Coast high major coaches realize how good this kid will be some day.

-------------------------

”Honeycutt is similar to Josh Childress at the same age,” said one scout sitting courtside. “Both play as posts on their high school team, they play “big” inside and have the skills to play on the perimeter at the next level.”

Honeycutt was followed around by ASU assistant Scott Pera, Washington assistant Paul Fortier and UCLA assistant Scott Garson.

[BZ: Zags have three (3) coaches out on the recruiting trail. Obviously, they ain't following Honeycutt.]

MississppiZag
07-11-2008, 09:17 AM
I have a feeling they are following Burton, Dower, and Bak, with any other bigs. Anthony Marshall, too, maybe. It is just my opinion and nothing more, but it seems like these four players are the main targets being talked about with our program. Maybe they have a short list of who they are going after. Glad they are doing it and not me.:D They will get the bigs that we need and any other players that we need, they have proven time after time.

I do not see any scenario where we get Honeycutt or Hill as of now. Since Bob mentioned it, i like the idea of Bak playing as a combo forward. Maybe they are after him more than the other two. Seems like it to me.

spudzag
07-11-2008, 10:01 AM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/768563.html

Honeycutt was followed around by ASU assistant Scott Pera, Washington assistant Paul Fortier and UCLA assistant Scott Garson.

[BZ: Zags have three (3) coaches out on the recruiting trail. Obviously, they ain't following Honeycutt.]

Wonder who's trail they are on? Probably better we don't know. ;)

Since Bob mentioned it, i like the idea of Bak playing as a combo forward.

MS, Interesting idea. May depend on Kong's status. I like the idea of getting a player or 2 strong enough, properly proportioned and skilled at the 4 and 5 spots.

BobZag
07-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Good points.

Remember, too, that Mangisto Arop AND Bol Kong would make excellent wings at 6'6" and athletic. Arop led the Albert Schweitzer Games in rebounding with over 11rpg. If we were to get Bak Bak at 6'9", the wing spot would have lots of flexibility........and would be all Sudanese. :)

This begs the question: Is an '09 wing needed? I don't know.

theothegreat21
07-11-2008, 10:55 AM
Thats kind of been my thought to Bob......lets get 2 bigs in Dower and Bak Bak and then go for a PG/SG in Anthony Marshall. I don't think that a true wing like Honeycutt or Hill is necessary for this class

MississppiZag
07-11-2008, 10:59 AM
I agree with theo. by the way has TKR's correspondent gotten anywhere with the Bak interview?

This is from Rivals-

This weekend through Tuesday the 43 Hoops Basketball Club hosts the Twin Cities Summer Classic sponsored by Best Buy. This four-day event will take place in the western suburbs of the Twin Cities and feature local stars like Marc Sonnen, Mike Bruesewitz, Trent Lockett, and Sam Dower plus several top athletes from the state of Illinois.

Sam Dower of Net Gain
POOL A

All Iowa Elite
Minnesota Comets Stars
Net Gain Sports
94 Feet of Game

Dower now holds offers from Marquette, Iowa, Gonzaga, Saint Louis, Colorado State, George Mason and others plus several division ones are interested. The curiosity of Dower's game will be one of the biggest reasons high majors will make it to these games. At 6-foot-9 Sam is a three star forward ranked 130th in the nation overall.

This will be another great weekend for Dower. Hopefully he will play good, and we will hear more about his recruitment.:D

BroncoZAG615
07-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Hey Theo, how about that Josh Childress comparison? I'm sure you love that :)

As far as the Bak interview, patience. Our correspondant is working on securing it but it has taken a little long than we originally thought. We'll get it to you soon.

theothegreat21
07-11-2008, 11:39 AM
If Honeycutt really is anything like Josh Childress then I change my views completely and say we need to go fully after Honeycutt :). What a great player Childress was.

However, I have my doubts on Honeycutt, because if he really was another Austin Daye or Josh Childress....then I would have thought that UCLA would have offered him a long time ago

zag67
07-11-2008, 02:04 PM
I also have to agree with BZ about the wing. If we have Kong and Arop, then there will not be many minutes left. And the key question at this time is Kong. The big key then is to find a couple of solid bigs and then find the best athlete available. This has been an interesting year. It seems like nothing is in the open and everything that is happening is behind the scenes. That means we have to sit and wait. Not fun.:(

BobZag
07-11-2008, 03:32 PM
I also have to agree with BZ about the wing. If we have Kong and Arop, then there will not be many minutes left. And the key question at this time is Kong. The big key then is to find a couple of solid bigs and then find the best athlete available. This has been an interesting year. It seems like nothing is in the open and everything that is happening is behind the scenes. That means we have to sit and wait. Not fun.:(

I hear ya, 67. When the staff wants to keep things quiet, one has more of a chance of robbing the Bellagio than finding out what's really going on. But it never stops us from trying. :)

Honeycutt and Hill are very good, there's no questioning that, and I'd certainly be thrilled to have either one, especially Honeycutt, but I just have to wonder if Arop and/or Kong are just as good. As CDC pointed out in another thread, Daye was ranked #25 or so by Rivals and/or Scout while Honeycutt is below 100 on Rivals, and the 2007 class was better. It might mean zilch (see Morrison) but Honeycutt is in LA, Morrison was in Spokane; a slight difference in exposure and hype. Arop, Kong and Bak would be nice at the 3...and some 4 with Bak.

Nevtelen
07-11-2008, 04:34 PM
I see Bak as a better fit then some think. He will be in the same situation as Daye is in now. He will be able to play the 3 or 4, hopefully an athletic 4. He can shoot 3's, play exceptional D, and can throw it down. I like what he would bring to GU.

We got Arop and HOPEFULLY Kong. With the addition of Bak we would have two wings, and a player that can play as a wing/forward. Hopefully Bak will gain some weight and play the 4. I think Arop and Kong can handle the wing position. Kong is a big question mark and most will be relieved when this visa issue is over with. Hope it works in GU's favor.

I know you love Bak, MississippiZ, but isn't he supposed to still be a bit raw? I'm not sure he's necessarily quite the player you're making him out to be.

Kong would be a monster, I think. I hope he makes it to GU.

MississppiZag
07-11-2008, 04:51 PM
I have not been saying that he is great, now, just to clear that up. I absolutely know that he is raw on the offensive end. No question. He does do some positive things as he shoots well from outside and he can rebound. He has had nothing but great reviews from the defensive end. Scouts have said that he is a good defender who blocks tons of shots. That is exactly why i like him and talk so much about him. We have not been lacking scoring, and a great shot blocker is something that we could use when Heytvelt is gone. He is mostly potential, and i can see why most people are hesitant. IMO we can get a good defender in Bak, and maybe in 2 or 3 yrs, he will be a good scorer. We can get a scoring big man in Dower or Burton. I think with the coaching of Few he can be a good scorer, while playing consistent D. Just my opinion

Honeycutt would have been great, but the Daye comparision might be to much.

whatazag
07-11-2008, 05:01 PM
I am obviously not privy to everything the coaches are, but from what I've seen we would be crazy to pass up on Honeycutt if we had a chance at him. So I am guessing there is either something we don't know, or the coaches feel the need for a big in '09 is so desperate that they've allocated all of their resources to that right now.

MississppiZag
07-11-2008, 05:27 PM
I agree. it seems that Honeycutt is interested in the pac-10 more so than us. It would have been great to get him, but i am sure that the coaches aren't sweating it. They'll pull something off i am sure. This is one of those years that nothing can really be predicted. It will work out for the best though.

Arop and maybe Kong is a great start.

BroncoZAG615
07-13-2008, 06:04 AM
http://www.beloblog.com/Pe_Blogs/collegesports/2008/07/vote-should-ucla-offer-tyler-h.html

Maybe the GU boards should flex their muscle and take over this poll as well :)

sittingon50
07-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Did my part, 615.;)

cjm720
07-13-2008, 11:40 AM
I am obviously not privy to everything the coaches are, but from what I've seen we would be crazy to pass up on Honeycutt if we had a chance at him. So I am guessing there is either something we don't know, or the coaches feel the need for a big in '09 is so desperate that they've allocated all of their resources to that right now.

Or maybe the coaches don't want to waste their time...too bad they can;t tell us what's in their heads! go zags!!!

zag67
07-13-2008, 12:10 PM
So suppose that you were the coaches talking to someone like Honeycutt about coming here in 2009. How can you talk to him about playing time at a wing? That position is totally up in the air. You might have Austin come back. You might be getting Kong. If Kong is as good as people say, the playing time if Austin stays is going to be hard enough at that position. Therefore the coaches would bring someone in and have potentially an immediate bench problem.

Now, in September (according to what BZ is predicting, because Kong has to be at GU), we and the coaches will know what the status is for Kong. If he is coming and with Arop coming in as a freshman, then I think that the wing and guard positions are solid for 2009. Then for 2009, they need to be looking for 2 bigs to back up what we have and start preparing for the following years.

In 2010, then we should be looking for wings and guards. That way they can learn during the junior/senior years of the existing GU players. But that is IMO.