PDA

View Full Version : IMG Signs Bulldogs To 10-Year Agreement

ZagNative
07-10-2008, 01:52 PM
From the Bulldogs official site (http://gozags.cstv.com/genrel/071008aac.htIMG Signs Bulldogs To 10-Year Agreementml), with an assist from Jim Meehan's blog:

IMG Signs Bulldogs To 10-Year Agreement
IMG will manage Gonzaga athletics multimedia rights and sales of corporate sponsorships

July 10, 2008

LEXINGTON, Ky. - IMG College, a division of IMG, the world's premier sports, entertainment and media company, announced today that it has reached a 10-year agreement with the Gonzaga University Athletics Department to exclusively manage its multimedia rights and sales of corporate sponsorships. The new deal goes into effect July 1, 2008.

Under terms of the agreement, IMG College will represent the University through a comprehensive rights package encompassing corporate partnership sales, website management, and the management and expansion of all printing and publishing rights for game programs and other athletic related publications. The hub for this new partnership will be housed in the McCarthey Athletic Center where IMG College will have a full-time Spokane-based staff working on behalf of Gonzaga Athletics.

Additionally, IMG College will manage television and radio broadcast rights and distribution for baseball and men's and women's basketball. IMG will also facilitate the continued relationships with existing Gonzaga Athletics broadcast partners Liberty Sports Group (Fox Sports Northwest), KHQ-TV, Mapleton of Spokane, LLC (Flagship Radio Station KGA 1510 AM), and Brett Sports & Entertainment Inc. All on-air broadcast talent is expected to remain the same.

"The Gonzaga Athletic Department has done a phenomenal job of building a top-notch program and exposing the University to a national audience," said Tom Stultz, Senior Vice President & Managing Director, IMG College. "We are excited to partner with Gonzaga and look forward to using the global resources of IMG College to help continue to grow the program through a successful rights partnership."

"We're excited about the opportunities, services, and exposure IMG College can provide Gonzaga University Athletics," said Mike Roth, Athletic Director, Gonzaga University. "We feel the consolidation of our marketing rights with a strong partner will allow for the best opportunities for growth."

Gonzaga University joins Oregon as IMG College's second partner in the Pacific Northwest.

About IMG College

IMG College is the leader in developing integrated licensing, marketing, and multi-media opportunities for the nation's top collegiate brands across local, regional, and national platforms. IMG College partners include the NCAA and its 88 championships, NCAA Football, leading conferences, some of the most prestigious universities, and licensing for nearly 200 institutions. IMG College is a division of IMG, the world's premier sports, entertainment and media company. IMG employs more than 3,000 people in 30 countries. For more information visit www.imgworld.com. For more information visit www.imgworld.com.

Zagdawg
07-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Just as long as we can still get the foot long hotdogs and the nachos-- it's fine by me. :)

ZagNative
07-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Yeah, I don't have a clue of what this all means to fans or the program. Here's another link (http://www.imgcollege.com/index.php/story/collegiate_marketing_and_ncaa), which shows some of the universities IMG represents.

Named by the SportsBusiness Journal as America's Top Sports Marketing Agency, IMG College (formerly HOST) provides extensive, yet varied sports marketing services for several NCAA® Division I universities and conferences. IMG College represents Arizona, Furman, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Rice, Tennessee, Texas, Western Kentucky and several conferences, including the Southeastern Conference, the Ohio Valley Conference and the Southern Conference.
Additionally, IMG College holds the distinct position of having the longest consecutive relationship with the National Collegiate Athletic Association® (NCAA), over and above any other contractor. Having originally contracted with IMG College in 1976, the NCAA has trusted the Company for nearly 30 years to lead the industry in delivering the power of the collegiate market to consumers nationwide. Through an agreement with CBS Sports, IMG College oversees select NCAA rights including licensing, printing & publishing and special event promotions, like the NCAA Hoop City® interactive events.

75Zag
07-10-2008, 04:15 PM
IMG offers the most recognized names in on-air talent.

IMG Broadcasting represents accomplished professionals in sports, live and non-scripted programming, and network, cable and local news. Our strong relationships across sports, entertainment and media provide nearly unlimited on-air opportunities along with speaking engagements, national and local endorsements, and other promotional activities. In addition to representing the best in the business, IMG grooms and guides up-and-coming talent to reach their full potential.

Our prestigious client roster includes:

* Charles Barkley, Turner Sports
* Tom Bergeron, Host of "Dancing With The Stars" and "America's Funniest Home Videos"
* James Brown, CBS Sports
* Mary Carillo, CBS Sports, NBC Sports, ESPN, HBO
* Gretchen Carlson, Co-Host of "Fox and Friends"
* Bob Costas, NBC Sports, HBO
* Julie Foudy, ESPN
* Greg Gumbel, CBS Sports
* Elisabeth Hasselbeck, Co-Host of "The View"
* Kirk Herbstreit, ESPN
* Phil Keoghan, Host of "The Amazing Race"
* Armen Keteyian, CBS News
* John Madden, NBC Sports
* Jim Nantz, CBS Sports
* John Saunders, ESPN and ABC Sports
* Ming Tsai, Celebrity Chef
* Dick Vitale, ESPN

Esteemed company indeed.

75Zag
07-10-2008, 04:35 PM
IMG Models works aggressively for clients and customers to deliver a full spectrum of marketable opportunities. Prominent retailers, publishers, designers, and corporate brands turn to our top roster of talent, including: Gisele Bundchen, Kate Moss, Heidi Klum, Gemma Ward, Stephanie Seymour, Carolyn Murphy and Daria Werbowy and high-profile personalities like Hilary Duff, Mischa Barton and Liv Tyler. ... IMG stands apart in its ability to offer revenue generating opportunities for a diverse and global base of talent.

In my mind I can imagine the overall quantity and quality of sideline hotties at K2 might be greatly enhanced if IMG can multi-task between their modeling division and their sports management division. The occasional sideline shot of Fr. Spitzer sitting between Gisele Bundchen and Heidi Klum would greatly increase my level of attention to GU televised games.

freezer12
07-10-2008, 05:47 PM
75Zag, you're underestimating how huge of a company IMG Worldwide is. They also have sport specific academies, like the Chris Evert Academy in FL (Boca Raton, I think).

Honestly, the two premier media rights holders are ISP Sports and Learfield Communications. They specialize in the industry, where as this is just a small part of what IMG Worldwide does.They're all quality and this is probably just the best offer that GU received.

Essentially, IMG guarantees revenue for GU (i.e. $2 mil per year), while also permitting the Marketing & Promotions department to focus on the game day experience, midnight madness, etc. It is now IMG's responsibility to generate whatever money they owe GU every year. If they exceed the revenue, GU probably receives a small percentage.

75Zag
07-10-2008, 05:58 PM
I could care less about any of this. I was trying (but failing as usual) to be irreverent, funny, or whatever. But in reality I am actually intrigued that little old GU will now be part of the same worldwide marketing organization that includes Charles Barkley, Dick Vitale, the guy from "Dancing with the Network Stars" and two-thirds of the models in the last Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue. Not sure what sort of house of fun (or sarcasm ) can be made of all this, but in any event, "this is not your grandfather's GU basketball marketing program".

P.S. Anything that causes a Google Search result to link GU basketball with Gisele Bundchen is more than ok with me.

Akzag
07-10-2008, 08:39 PM
fwiw 75, I got it.

RenoZag
07-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Maybe it means the GU Hoops web site put out by the athletic dept will get a significant makeover. . .it needs it.

ZagNative
07-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Maybe it means the GU Hoops web site put out by the athletic dept will get a significant makeover. . .it needs it.Call me cynical, but I smell money, maybe more revenue generation from ads on the site?

Gonzaga's basketball page = here (http://gozags.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/gonz-m-baskbl-body.html).

My imagination? Is it already looking a little different?

Here's the corresponding page for Kansas' site (http://kuathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/kan-m-baskbl-body.html), one of IMG's other clients. Definitely slick looking.

It would be nice if we got more news stories on the site, but if I were to hazard a guess about changes IMG might make, I'd look for more advertising and revenue generating opportunities than for improved information.

As an aside, Kansas' website also uses cstv.com, which, on the Zags site, has some of the most annoying popups on the internet (aside from that wretched Lexus popup that blocks the view on guboards some times.) That lousy blimp that floats across the screen in gametracker needs to be brought down in flames at the earliest opportunity.

RenoZag
07-11-2008, 05:41 PM
This horse has been beaten before, ZN. The GU Athletic Dept does the best they can on a limited budget. If you look at the hoops sites for some of the top tier programs, they are slicker, feature more archival materials, and are easier to navigate. Mr. Pierce and his colleagues can only do so much.

And I'm sure there are some serious Benjamins involved.

ZagNative
07-11-2008, 06:10 PM
I didn't mean to sound like I think the Gonzaga athletic dept. are a bunch of money grubbers. I only meant that I get all excited about how great something is going to be and then need to stick a little pin in my balloon and hope I'll descend slowly back to earth and not land too hard.

RenoZag
07-11-2008, 06:20 PM
I didn't mean to sound like I think the Gonzaga athletic dept. are a bunch of money grubbers. I only meant that I get all excited about how great something is going to be and then need to stick a little pin in my balloon and hope I'll descend slowly back to earth and not land too hard.

Didn't take it that way at all. . .the GU Hoops web site has been a half-hearted, under funded mess for several years. They have a habit of leaving moldy oldy stories on the front page, the archives are bleak, and and the site shows no imagination whatsoever. I don't think they give a rat's behind about the web site.

75Zag
07-25-2008, 07:50 PM
I made fun of an earlier post regarding IMG signing a rep agreement with GU basketball, and then today I saw this in the paper. Yikes! While GU does not have a football team or Pac 10 exposure, GU should have gotten a sweet deal from IMG since U of O basketball pretty much sucks right now compared to GU. Since GU is private I doubt anybody outside the athletic dept or administration knows how much GU got, but if Oregon is worth 60 million, what is GU BB worth?

Posted July 25, 2008

EUGENE, Ore. — The University of Oregon has completed a 10-year agreement worth more than $65 million from sports advertising, promotions and endorsements.

The deal with the Oregon Sports Network and IMG Communications was announced last February. The contract was signed last month. The university released details after a public records request by the Eugene Register-Guard.

The agreement is the university's most lucrative ever.

IMG is one of the country's largest sports, media and entertainment companies and represents 11 other large universities.

All told, the UO will receive $58.7 million in guaranteed payments, capital improvement payments and naming rights for its new baseball field.

The OSN+IMG joint venture will be responsible for production costs, video board programming, ticket purchases and other costs and services.

—The Associated Press

azzagfan
07-26-2008, 04:06 PM
There's only so much web production money to go around at GU, and a good chunk of it is surely sitting with the "Ask Spike" application (there is a lot of tongue and cheek there for those who know who the VP of Sales is for the company who developed Ask Spike).

maineblackbear
07-26-2008, 06:28 PM
but is this an opportunity to contact IMG and explain that those red jerseys are so awful? . . . maybe they can fight with Nike over that . . . if I never see those red jerseys again it will be too soon. all right, i know its a cheap shot, but, sometimes repetition is the heart of persuasion. (see any of george bush's presidential debates for further examples:)

mbb

ZagNative
07-26-2008, 06:44 PM
From what I've read, the players choose which uniform they wear on road games. Hard to believe they'd deliberately choose the red ones, but they apparently do.

TexasZagFan
05-08-2017, 05:14 AM
There's only so much web production money to go around at GU, and a good chunk of it is surely sitting with the "Ask Spike" application (there is a lot of tongue and cheek there for those who know who the VP of Sales is for the company who developed Ask Spike).

Anyone with insight on the contract with IMG? There's one year left on the contract, and it appears that it's been good for both parties.

IMO, there will be almost as much activity off the court as on the court in the near term, as this contract expires next year, and the WCC contract expires the year after that. Combine that with ESPN's direction to NFL football and Power 5 conferences, and we will be living in interesting times.

Gonzaga will have a great deal of leverage, and the decision makers in Zagland have publicly discussed their displeasure with the level of effort put forth by several schools in the WCC.

Zagcity
05-08-2017, 07:19 AM
Call me cynical, but I smell money, maybe more revenue generation from ads on the site?

Yes, the ad costs more than doubled for the program after the first signing years ago. As well as the size of the basketball program was reduced to half the size. Both WSU and Gonzaga's have that middle man (IMG) and we all know what happens to costs with a middle man.

TravelinZag
05-08-2017, 07:31 AM
TZF, several ?s. What have they done for GU? If its dollars, what did GU give up? Much has changed in 9 years; has IMG improved on it West/ PNW presence? Does Oregon's excellent results in NCAA men's basketball last season diminish GU's importance to IMG?

You state, "Gonzaga will have a great deal of leverage, and the decision makers in Zagland have publicly discussed their displeasure with the level of effort put forth by several schools in the WCC." Can IMG do anything to improve that effort?
Are you suggesting GU employ that "great deal of leverage" as an ultimatum? GU or WCC, but not both?

Don't know whether this contract has a significant, or minimal impact. Too many lines to read between; can you fill in some blanks for the visionary impaired? Thanks.

DixieZag
05-08-2017, 07:53 AM
I think, having done some work in this area, that the biggest "task" covered under the IMG contract is the broadcast network, radio - and it seems to me that the school has ample reason to be pleased with the radio coverage and its direction.

Universal opinion here is hard to come by, but there is near universal opinion that Hudson does a great job, Santangelo is just fine. The network is growing, our games are now live in both the Seattle and Portland areas, along with the Tri-Cities, the pre-game broadcasts are excellent and now extend 2 hours prior, and the post game show is so good that our "Court Reporter" Section 116 transcribes them for us.

At least with respect to the radio coverage, there'd be very few reasons to want to change much beyond the numbers.

billyberu
05-08-2017, 08:14 AM
IMG Models works aggressively for clients and customers to deliver a full spectrum of marketable opportunities. Prominent retailers, publishers, designers, and corporate brands turn to our top roster of talent, including: Gisele Bundchen, Kate Moss, Heidi Klum, Gemma Ward, Stephanie Seymour, Carolyn Murphy and Daria Werbowy and high-profile personalities like Hilary Duff, Mischa Barton and Liv Tyler. ... IMG stands apart in its ability to offer revenue generating opportunities for a diverse and global base of talent.

In my mind I can imagine the overall quantity and quality of sideline hotties at K2 might be greatly enhanced if IMG can multi-task between their modeling division and their sports management division. The occasional sideline shot of Fr. Spitzer sitting between Gisele Bundchen and Heidi Klum would greatly increase my level of attention to GU televised games.
😂

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

TexasZagFan
05-08-2017, 09:37 AM
TZF, several ?s. What have they done for GU? If its dollars, what did GU give up? Much has changed in 9 years; has IMG improved on it West/ PNW presence? Does Oregon's excellent results in NCAA men's basketball last season diminish GU's importance to IMG?

You state, "Gonzaga will have a great deal of leverage, and the decision makers in Zagland have publicly discussed their displeasure with the level of effort put forth by several schools in the WCC." Can IMG do anything to improve that effort?
Are you suggesting GU employ that "great deal of leverage" as an ultimatum? GU or WCC, but not both?

Don't know whether this contract has a significant, or minimal impact. Too many lines to read between; can you fill in some blanks for the visionary impaired? Thanks.

Wish I could help more, but I'm not good with the "vision thing." I just revived an old thread for potential discussion.

Although the Zag hierarchy has never expressed "ultimatums", Ms. Holzman would be ill advised to disregard the Zags' contributions to WCC coffers and prestige. Take away the Zags, and it goes from a top 10-12 conference to one in the twenties. Not sure that would look good on her resume.

Good questions, though, TZ. Perhaps one closer to the program can shed some light.

I found the article interesting, considering the turmoil coming in the business of college sports, at least for non-Power 5 schools. A true 4-8 team playoff is coming in football, which will further diminish the college bowl system. Bowl games outside of the playoffs are merely exhibitions now, and you can expect more players to focus on the draft, than one more game for their alma mater.

I continue to believe that WCC basketball will be on a major cable network, as they provide an inexpensive source of live programming, and the Zags bring a national brand to the league.

ZagnetitForce
05-08-2017, 10:35 AM
Hold on....so we have had this in place for 9 years now and I STILL have not met Heidi Klum? Now Im just angry.

jbslicer
05-08-2017, 05:11 PM
From what I've read, the players choose which uniform they wear on road games. Hard to believe they'd deliberately choose the red ones, but they apparently do.

Too bad there isn't a royal blue option.

TravelinZag
05-09-2017, 04:55 AM
Wish I could help more, but I'm not good with the "vision thing." I just revived an old thread for potential discussion.

Although the Zag hierarchy has never expressed "ultimatums", Ms. Holzman would be ill advised to disregard the Zags' contributions to WCC coffers and prestige. Take away the Zags, and it goes from a top 10-12 conference to one in the twenties. Not sure that would look good on her resume.

Good questions, though, TZ. Perhaps one closer to the program can shed some light.

I found the article interesting, considering the turmoil coming in the business of college sports, at least for non-Power 5 schools. A true 4-8 team playoff is coming in football, which will further diminish the college bowl system. Bowl games outside of the playoffs are merely exhibitions now, and you can expect more players to focus on the draft, than one more game for their alma mater.

I continue to believe that WCC basketball will be on a major cable network, as they provide an inexpensive source of live programming, and the Zags bring a national brand to the league.

Thanks for your candor, TexasZagFan. I also hope "one closer to the program can shed some light." If IMG's sole focus is on-air talent and getting the games telecast live in the Tri-Cities (as Dixie suggests), I'm less than convinced of the value. OTOH, and selfishly, if IMG has anything to do with the fact that I can watch all Zag games live on the east coast, then where do I send the money.

As to your side points, how could the college football bowl games be further diminished than they are now? Any team in a power conference with 6 wins (including powderpuff opponents from OOC) gets to go to a stadium less than full in a location less than winter resort to play in one. If I were a senior w/o NFL possibilities or certain of them, I'd tell the coach let the underclassmen get the experience. I have better things to do with one of my final months in college than another month of practice just to play a totally meaningless game. Second, even including insomniacs, how many rating points could a Pepperdine versus Pacific game generate 2-3 time zones away?

TexasZagFan
05-09-2017, 05:18 AM
Thanks for your candor, TexasZagFan. I also hope "one closer to the program can shed some light." If IMG's sole focus is on-air talent and getting the games telecast live in the Tri-Cities (as Dixie suggests), I'm less than convinced of the value. OTOH, and selfishly, if IMG has anything to do with the fact that I can watch all Zag games live on the east coast, then where do I send the money.

As to your side points, how could the college football bowl games be further diminished than they are now? Any team in a power conference with 6 wins (including powderpuff opponents from OOC) gets to go to a stadium less than full in a location less than winter resort to play in one. If I were a senior w/o NFL possibilities or certain of them, I'd tell the coach let the underclassmen get the experience. I have better things to do with one of my final months in college than another month of practice just to play a totally meaningless game. Second, even including insomniacs, how many rating points could a Pepperdine versus Pacific game generate 2-3 time zones away?

I feel your pain, living in the Central Time Zone. Those 9/10 PM start times often force me to hit "record".

As to the college bowl game situation, you're spot on. Coaches will never give the seniors/departing players the option, too many losses in bowl games (no matter how meaningless) will mar their resumes.

The Sun Bowl in El Paso was once one of the best postseason bowl games, in terms of fan experience and quality of teams. It's been relegated to this:

Since 2014, the Sun Bowl Football Selection Committee has shared the third through sixth selections from the ACC with the Belk Bowl, the Pinstripe Bowl and either the Taxslayer Bowl or the Music City Bowl. The Orange Bowl has the ACC champion or the first selection, followed by the Russell Athletic Bowl. On the Pac-12 side, the Sun Bowl has the fourth selection, following the College Football Playoff.

The city still puts on a great event for visiting teams, and their swag includes custom made Tony Lama boots.

75Zag
05-09-2017, 08:17 AM
Nice to still be alive in 2017 to see some of my nonsensical comments from 2008.
The big issue for me is the radical change to ESPN. I doubt anybody here knows whether their recent slashing of costs and on-air talent will lead to greater exposure for GU games or less exposure for GU games. So-called "cord cutting" and the transition of major advertising dollars from broadcast television to other media (U-Tube, etc.) is changing the world as we know it. With all respect to Root Sports and their affiliates, the world seems to be moving beyond regional sports networks and I do not see it as a good thing if more GU games return to Root and leave the ESPN family. Time will tell.

Go Bulldogs!

Colbyspapa
05-15-2017, 04:35 PM
I worked for IMG many years ago (1996-1999). This is the most powerful entity in sports marketing. They have reach into every sport, every media outlet, and control many things that you would never guess. Having them represent GU means we have the absolute best representation of any sports marketing company worldwide. I maintain friendships with people in the IMG Academies division, IMG Golf, IMG Football and IMG Tennis (the areas I worked with) and they tell me the company is a monster with influence I wouldn't believe. While I do not have specifics on the workings of IMG College Sports, there is no way this company does anything 1/2 way. My guess is IMG sells our apparel rights, advertising for GU events (radio) and TV. Companies like IMG routinely work with TV and Internet to sell ads. They buy packaged time/exposure and resell it. Again, I do not know how college sports structures their deals as that division started after I left, but I am sure this was not a small deal. GU has seen a massive increase in revenue and exposure since this deal was signed. My guess is the GU Brand has been developed through IMG for the past 9 years. Building brands is what they do. Someone listed some major tv personalities represented above. When I was at IMG, our marque players were Alex Rodriquez (Scot Boras was an IMG agent who quit to start his own company), Kobe Bryant, Anna Kournikova, Nomar Garciapara, Grant Winstrom, Joe Montana, Charles Woodson, Andre Agassi, Pete Samprass, Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, etc... pretty much the best players in every sport. Superagents Jeff Schwartz, Scot Boras, David Godsick, Gavin Forbes and David Falk. When I got my job there, people were still talking about how David Falk quit IMG and put Proserv on the map after only working at IMG for a year. Then he signed Michael Jordan. The bottom line is, IMG is a good thing for GU. They only do things that make them money.