PDA

View Full Version : OT - CHN on the Big East - Rising or Falling?

ZagNative
07-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Here's an interesting analysis of the Big East on CollegeHoopsNet.com (http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/new/rise-and-fall-big-east-program-review-42491), part of a series they are running:

Rise and Fall: Big East Program Review
July 8th, 2008 by Shawn Siegel

Like civilizations, all great basketball programs eventually fall.. replaced by an upstart newcomer. In this week's Rise & Fall series, we'll take a look at which BCS programs are rising, falling, or merely treading water. Up today, the:

BIG EAST

*Note that the Big East is ridiculously big so commentary for each team will be a bit shorter than other leagues.. ZN's arbitrary selections:

CONNECTICUT - STATUS QUO (BARELY)

Similar to Duke in the ACC, UCONN is still chugging along.. but there are definitely signs of slippage. Recent big time recruits either bolted for the pros, haven't panned out, or got into extracurricular troubles. While the Huskies should be a Final Four contender in Detroit, I get the sense that Coach Calhoun's biggest glory days are in the past.

DEPAUL - DECLINING (SLOWLY)

At multiple points in the past decade, it looked like DePaul basketball would get back on the map in a big way, but it just hasn't happened. While there's some hope here, Mac Koshwal has All-Big East potential, sub .500 records are likely the next two seasons.

GEORGETOWN - RISING (QUICKLY)

The Hoyas RPI has risen each of the last 5 years from 142nd in '04 to 7th last year. While a slight step back is expected, the future is still extremely bright. JT3 now has the ability to bring in big time talent, and he's already proven that his system wins games.

LOUISVILLE - STATUS QUO

This was a tough one.. because unlike UCONN above, the Cards still have positive momentum and could reach new heights in coming seasons. What's worrisome is how so many big-name, top-level prospects have fizzled out since committing. For every success, there's been an NBA exit, academic issues, transfers, unhappiness, etc. While this year's group looks like a Final Four contender, not once in the past decade have the Cardinals finished with a Top 10 team (RPI-wise).

ST. JOHN'S - STATUS QUO

Call it the Perfect Storm, but its been one long string of horrendous seasons in NYC. They haven't been above 130th in the RPI for quite some time, and though that plateau might be met this year, I wouldn't expect much more than that.
I note that CHN has started its 144 Teams in 144 Days (http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/preview/2008/) series and has St. John's at #142.

SYRACUSE - DECLINING (SLOWLY)

This is somewhat misleading, because the Orange are one of my national sleepers this season, and could also be very good next season as well. But just in terms of the overall direction of the program, things aren't coming quite as easily as they used to. The Big East has gotten better and deeper and Top 25 teams are no longer a given for Coach Boeheim.

VILLANOVA - STATUS QUO

Jay Wright's obviously done a great job with the program and helped it get back into Top 25 contention. But I don't see the program breaking out into the stratosphere anytime soon. Thus they remain in the status quo.

WEST VIRGINIA - RISING (QUICKLY)
I'll simply call this the Bob Huggins effect. When he joins your program, things tend to move in the right direction.. just ask Joe Alexander and his newly inked NBA contract.

- up next is the Big 12 -

CDC84
07-09-2008, 10:31 AM
GEORGETOWN - RISING (QUICKLY). The Hoyas RPI has risen each of the last 5 years from 142nd in '04 to 7th last year. While a slight step back is expected, the future is still extremely bright. JT3 now has the ability to bring in big time talent, and he's already proven that his system wins games.

CHN is wrong about this. G'Town's status should read "status quo."

The system that Thompson uses doesn't bring out the best in the players he recruits. It's an offensive system designed for slow, unathletic skilled players to compete with teams who possess more height and athleticism. Thompson gets pro level recruits and puts them in a system where they cannot enforce their will on a game. He might as well not recruit guys like Greg Monroe...it's a waste of their talent.

I wouldn't be surprised if Thompson never wins a national title so long as he uses the Princeton Offense. He needs to chuck it. The elite teams all play systems which allow the talent of their players to shine. Until he chucks the offense, Thompson's teams are likely going to keep running into a brick wall at some point in the NCAA tournament. When you get talent like he can get, the goal is to win national titles, and that's not going to happen with Roy Hibbert standing out at the halfcourt line reversing the basketball and setting up a play when G'Town is down by 8 with under 2 minutes to go in the Big East title game.

Rubbadub
07-09-2008, 10:43 AM
CHN is wrong about this. G'Town's status should read "status quo."

The system that Thompson uses doesn't bring out the best in the players he recruits. It's an offensive system designed for slow, unathletic skilled players to compete with teams who possess more height and athleticism. Thompson gets pro level recruits and puts them in a system where they cannot enforce their will on a game. He might as well not recruit guys like Greg Monroe...it's a waste of their talent.

I wouldn't be surprised if Thompson never wins a national title so long as he uses the Princeton Offense. He needs to chuck it. The elite teams all play systems which allow the talent of their players to shine. Until he chucks the offense, Thompson's teams are likely going to keep running into a brick wall at some point in the NCAA tournament. When you get talent like he can get, the goal is to win national titles, and that's not going to happen with Roy Hibbert standing out at the halfcourt line reversing the basketball and setting up a play when G'Town is down by 8 with under 2 minutes to go in the Big East title game.

Agree completely.