PDA

View Full Version : Daye Injured

Snagglezag
07-09-2008, 07:51 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=katz_andy

This would be bad...

Daye gets injury scare at LeBron camp

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 | Print Entry

AKRON, Ohio -- The Gonzaga coaches were in Akron's gym for only a few minutes Tuesday before they nearly saw their potentially top-10 team fizzle in front of their eyes.

Austin Daye, the Zags' 6-foot-10 rising sophomore wing who is a potential player of the year candidate in the West Coast Conference, buckled to the court during the afternoon's drill sessions at the Nike LeBron James Skills Academy.

Daye stayed on the floor for a number of minutes while trainers worked on what appeared to be a right knee injury.

"My heart sank into my stomach," said Zag assistant Leon Rice, who was watching the action with head coach Mark Few.

Daye averaged 10.5 points and 4.7 rebounds in 18.5 minutes a game for the Zags last season.

"When I fell, I thought it was my knee, but it was my hamstring, Thank God," said the lanky Daye. "I heard a loud noise and I was scared. But the trainer said it was my tendon in my hamstring. I always get hurt, but I pop right back up and play through injuries. The trainer said to stay off my leg. I'm glad it's not my knee and that I'm walking away."

The camp's college counselor game was canceled Tuesday night after the counselors played with NBA stars James and Chris Paul Monday night. Had the game been played, Daye wouldn't have participated. But he still wants to play in a "Say No League" summer-league game Saturday back in Los Angeles.

"Those are important to me," Daye said.

Not as important as the Zag season, though. Even though Daye wants to play in a summer-league game, it was clear that the Zag coaches want him to be checked out again this weekend. The Zags are a projected top-10 team next season with the return of Daye, WCC Player of the Year Jeremy Pargo, leading scorer Matt Bouldin, center Josh Heytvelt and scoring wings Steven Gray and Micah Downs.

Salsageek
07-09-2008, 07:56 AM
oh man. :eek: Get well soon Austin.

MedZag
07-09-2008, 08:19 AM
Knee injury = 8-12 months off
Hamstring injury = 1-4 weeks off

Whew.

gamagin
07-09-2008, 08:28 AM
you think maybe AD should be stretching more ?

I know the heat can cause problems, too, but the big dogs, like Stock, spent as much time, almost, stretching, as practicing.

BobZag
07-09-2008, 08:37 AM
It better just be a hamstring and nothing more.

23dpg
07-09-2008, 08:42 AM
This is absolutely why players consider jumping to the NBA when they are projected to be picked in the first round. They are all one devastating injury away from never making the league.

If AMMO had suffered the knee injury before his junior year instead of last year, he probably would not have been picked in the draft, at least not that year.

JohnOGU
07-09-2008, 08:54 AM
you guys dont think they're just saying its a hamstring injury when its really something more severe, do you? that would be such a devastating blow...

ZaggyStardust
07-09-2008, 08:59 AM
you guys dont think they're just saying its a hamstring injury when its really something more severe, do you? that would be such a devastating blow...

Considering there were tons of spectators and media around, I highly doubt it! We must be the unluckiest team in all of CBB as far as injuries to our stars go! Get well soon Austin! We need you....

MedZag
07-09-2008, 09:09 AM

"I'm glad it's not my knee and that I'm walking away."

If its an ACL/PCL/MCL no way in hades the trainer lets Austin go walking around on it directly after the injury.

There's a few tests a trainer can perform that instantly tell you whether the structural integrity of the knee is intact (the McMurray test and the drawer test most commonly), with a fairly high degree of sensitivity and specificity. Similarly, a simple stretch of the hamstrings can tell you if there was a strain or tear.

75Zag
07-09-2008, 09:09 AM
Sending out my best positive vibes for Daye. Here's hoping this is a low level injury followed by a quick and complete recovery, and a great season ahead.

ZagNative
07-09-2008, 09:10 AM
This is absolutely why players consider jumping to the NBA when they are projected to be picked in the first round. They are all one devastating injury away from never making the league.

If AMMO had suffered the knee injury before his junior year instead of last year, he probably would not have been picked in the draft, at least not that year.Absolutely.

BroncoZAG615
07-09-2008, 09:18 AM

If AMMO had suffered the knee injury before his junior year instead of last year, he probably would not have been picked in the draft, at least not that year.

This is why I wonder why people hate Kwame Brown so much.

The man is absolutely brilliant. He's making money doing something that he is very bad at, but teams keep giving him a chance.

Had he gone to college he could have risked injury or someone could have found out that he's never played basketball before in his life :D

zagco
07-09-2008, 09:21 AM
Good Lord. This steady, omni-present stream of injuries we suffer is just mind boggling.

CDC84
07-09-2008, 09:21 AM
Austin, BTW, has been terrific at the camp.

Salsageek
07-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Would this injury weaken his leg so that his knee/ankle/joint could get damaged even more in the future?

If its an ACL/PCL/MCL no way in hades the trainer lets Austin go walking around on it directly after the injury.

There's a few tests a trainer can perform that instantly tell you whether the structural integrity of the knee is intact (the McMurray test and the drawer test most commonly), with a fairly high degree of sensitivity and specificity. Similarly, a simple stretch of the hamstrings can tell you if there was a strain or tear.

sittingon50
07-09-2008, 09:40 AM
Just goes to show us how quickly a Top 10 ranking & a teams whole season can go bye bye.

We found out after the fact that Kuso ( & Downs?) were hurt for the Davidson game & we know Josh was never 100%. You gotta' be good for a deep run, but you also have to be LUCKY!!

MDABE80
07-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Wrap it up, rub some dirt on it and get thee to an MRI Magnet . Stay off it till the Dx is secure. Hamstrings are pretty common but a moderate to major tear can slow an athlete down for an awful long time. Prompt diagnosis and management is critical. Till then, stay off that thing young Jedi.

MedZag
07-09-2008, 09:55 AM
you think maybe AD should be stretching more ?

I know the heat can cause problems, too, but the big dogs, like Stock, spent as much time, almost, stretching, as practicing.

In short: Yes. Proper stretching is very, very good for you, and any NBA team physician can tell you that few if any of these kids are taught the importance or the techniques of proper stretching growing up. But its also a very time consuming endeavor, and doesn't feel "productive" when you are doing it, so convincing these young athletes the discipline of extensive stretching before and after every workout or game when they already feel 120% is a difficult endeavor. No college athlete stretches properly. Heck, most pro athletes don't either. Most athletes don't learn the benefits of it until they start to age and some of the nagging pains of an imbalanced body come up.

Would this injury weaken his leg so that his knee/ankle/joint could get damaged even more in the future?

Like Abe said, as long as he stays off it and gives it time to heal, there's no risk of long term injury or instability to his leg. Soft tissue injuries can be nagging, but there's nothing to keep them from getting back to 100% given proper rest and rehabilitation.

ZagNut08
07-09-2008, 10:04 AM
wow, what a terrible thread to wake up to this morning. Hope he heels up and is fully healthy for the start of the season

CarolinaZagFan
07-09-2008, 10:15 AM
When I was in high school, I heard the same loud noise and thought I had broken a bone or something bad, but it was the same thing, a tendon or something in my hamstring. I sat in the hot tub for 30 minutes every day and stretched and iced, but I played the next day. So thank god, my heart sank when I first saw the thread.

Ezag
07-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Scary Scary Scary

mnzag24
07-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Austin, BTW, has been terrific at the camp.

can you elaborate at all?

thx

BroncoZAG615
07-09-2008, 11:44 AM
http://slamonline.com/online/2008/07/lebron-camp-report/

Austin Daye of Gonzaga scraping the rafters with lovely high-arcing jumpers.

Very big report on the camp with small Austin mention.

It sounds like USC's Derozan is going to be an absolute stud. Every report is just filled with praise

pbriz
07-09-2008, 11:48 AM
http://slamonline.com/online/2008/07/lebron-camp-report/

Very big report on the camp with small Austin mention.

It sounds like USC's Derozan is going to be an absolute stud. Every report is just filled with praise

It says Craig Ehlo was one of the evaluators.... seems like Austin would get a little more press.

mnzag24
07-09-2008, 12:33 PM
funny mention of what appears to be ehlo's kid covered in Jordan gear from head to toe. " donít have a comparison to this in my own professional life, but if my son ever wore the clothes of a guy who had publicly disgraced me, I donít think Iíd appreciate it."-author

MickMick
07-09-2008, 12:43 PM
I had a sports related hamstring injury that lasted months. There are varying degrees of pulls and tears.

I couldn't run full speed for about 6 months. Hamstring injuries can put players out or make them less than 100% for an entire season.

duper
07-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Stretching is overrated as a way of injury pervention. Proper warm up of the muscles is way more important. Old school coaches have long pressed stretching as a way to prevent injuries but the facts are not there. Stretching is an important part of overall fitness but studies show it has little to no value in injury pervention.

Zaghuatanejo
07-09-2008, 12:54 PM
funny mention of what appears to be ehlo's kid covered in Jordan gear from head to toe. " donít have a comparison to this in my own professional life, but if my son ever wore the clothes of a guy who had publicly disgraced me, I donít think Iíd appreciate it."-author

While I'm not a big fan of Ehlo's as a commentator, if that "author" would go back and watch that game he would see that Ehlo wasn't publicly disgraced. He actually played really well, hit a huge shot late, had a sprained ankle, and still nearly blocked Jordan.

ZagNative
07-09-2008, 02:24 PM
From Jim Meehan, posted at 2:14 pm July 9 (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=7940), sounding pretty reassuring:

More on Daye, scheduling

Talked via telephone with Gonzaga assistant coach Leon Rice to get an update on Austin Daye, who hurt his hamstring at the LeBron James Skills Academy (see previous post).

Click below for more on Daye and an update on a couple of games that we've mentioned previously on the blog.

First, on Daye...

It looked worse than it turned out. Gonzaga sophomore-to-be Austin Daye went down in a heap of bodies Tuesday at the LeBron James Skills Academy in Akron, Ohio. It was an unsettling sight for Gonzaga head coach Mark Few and assistant coach Leon Rice, who had just arrived at the gym.

ďIt was on the second possession after we walked in,Ē Rice said. ďAustin got crumpled amongst a bunch of bodies and got spun around and it didnít look good for his knee. He went down hard, but heís kind of bendable. He usually just pops back up, but he didnít this time. The Akron Zips trainer did a tremendous job with him.Ē

Daye, one of 24 players at the James camp, apparently tweaked a tendon in his hamstring, Rice said. ďAustinís pretty good about that stuff. He said, ĎIím fine, Iím fine.í Ē

Daye averaged 10.5 points and 4.7 rebounds last season. He was honorable mention All-WCC and made the conferenceís All-Freshmen team.

Daye was traveling home Wednesday. "We'll see how he feels when he gets back," Rice said. "...tweaked a tendon .." Here's hoping he recovers quickly, because I'll bet a team of wild horses couldn't keep him from that Say No Classic game this weekend ...

75Zag
07-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Positive Vibes.

Positive Vibes.

Positive Vibes.

siliconzag
07-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Subluxed patella. Its quite common in kids who are skinny. That is an injury which recurs and there is specific resistance training for it. It is also not season ending. Can't figure why hamstring makes a dramatic noise. In general it just gives dramatic pain. Sounds as if his serum NSAID level will be a little higher during the next few weeks.

Sil

ZagSlug
07-09-2008, 02:41 PM
I think that it is good news, he must have gained some muscle.

I wasn't even sure if Daye even had hamstrings last year.

ZagNative
07-09-2008, 02:44 PM
I think that it is good news, he must have gained some muscle.

I wasn't even sure if Daye even had hamstrings last year.:lmao: