PDA

View Full Version : LaRev on USS Pargo

ZagNative
07-09-2008, 06:49 AM
Okay, I admit it: I've been neglecting my usual reading lineup, including LaRev, which I obviously haven't visited since at least July 1, when LaRev posted this (http://larevblog.wordpress.com/2008/07/01/you-member-that-mega-power-we-were-talking-about-yeah-its-real/):

You ‘member that mega power we were talking about? Yeah, it’s real…
Posted in Pargo on July 1, 2008 by larevblog

In a bored search for something, anything, to write about, I stumbled upon what must be the definative piece of evidence that Jeremy Pargo will one day rule the world. See for yourself in this scholarly article with the title, “Hydrography of the upper Artic Ocean measured from the nuclear submarine U.S.S Pargo.”

Let me get this straight: the United States Navy decided to name not just a submarine, but a nuclear submarine, the Pargo. Red October…Alabama…Pargo?. Son of a gun; this guy’s even greater than I first realized. But wait, there’s more. (More?! I don’t know if I can take more!) After some mild Internet detective work, I discovered this Wikipedia entry for the USS Pargo. According to the entry, the sub spent 1968 searching for the lost submarine Scorpion before eventually being decommissioned in 1995.

“Where is the Pargo these days?” one might ask. According to its Wikipedia entry, “on 15 October 1996, it ceased to exist.” So, if I’m hearing this correctly, the sub wasn’t lost, it wasn’t sunk, it wasn’t put in a museum. It merely ceased to exist. Call me Oliver Stone, but this seems like a vast governmental conspiracy designed to cover up the fact that they turned a once-fully functioning nuclear submarine into a humanoid with eventual orders to single-handedly bring the rogue nations of the world to their collective knees.

Don’t believe me? Currently laughing to yourself at my crazed hysteria? Well, do you know where Jeremy Pargo was prior to 1996?If I'm not mistaken, this post presents a great opportunity to post a pic of our own nuclear option. Do you remember this image?

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Pargo/2006-01-27Jeremy-USF-Attemptshandsh.jpg

Caption: "Jeremy Pargo laughs and reaches out to shake the hand of San Francisco's Armondo Surratt with about 25 seconds left in a college basketball game in Spokane, Wash., on Saturday, Jan. 27, 2007. Gonzaga won 72-56."

I'm planning to savor every moment of every game we have this guy on the floor this year, because I think he's carved out a solid niche in Gonzaga lore, and we'll still be talking about his years as a Zag long after he's no longer suiting up as a Bulldog.

BobZag
07-09-2008, 05:18 PM
http://gordonlightfoot.com/wreckoftheedmundfitzgerald.shtml

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
of the big lake they called "Gitche Gumee."
The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
when the skies of November turn gloomy.
With a load of iron ore twenty-six thousand tons more
than the Edmund Fitzgerald weighed empty,
that good ship and true was a bone to be chewed
when the "Gales of November" came early.

The ship was the pride of the American side
coming back from some mill in Wisconsin.
As the big freighters go, it was bigger than most
with a crew and good captain well seasoned,
concluding some terms with a couple of steel firms
when they left fully loaded for Cleveland.
And later that night when the ship's bell rang,
could it be the north wind they'd been feelin'?

The wind in the wires made a tattle-tale sound
and a wave broke over the railing.
And ev'ry man knew, as the captain did too
'twas the witch of November come stealin'.
The dawn came late and the breakfast had to wait
when the Gales of November came slashin'.
When afternoon came it was freezin' rain
in the face of a hurricane west wind.

When suppertime came the old cook came on deck sayin'.
"Fellas, it's too rough t'feed ya."
At seven P.M. a main hatchway caved in; he said,
"Fellas, it's bin good t'know ya!"
The captain wired in he had water comin' in
and the good ship and crew was in peril.
And later that night when 'is lights went outta sight
came the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Does any one know where the love of God goes
when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
The searchers all say they'd have made Whitefish Bay
if they'd put fifteen more miles behind 'er.
They might have split up or they might have capsized;
they may have broke deep and took water.
And all that remains is the faces and the names
of the wives and the sons and the daughters.

Lake Huron rolls, Superior sings
in the rooms of her ice-water mansion.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams;
the islands and bays are for sportsmen.
And farther below Lake Ontario
takes in what Lake Erie can send her,
And the iron boats go as the mariners all know
with the Gales of November remembered.

In a musty old hall in Detroit they prayed,
in the "Maritime Sailors' Cathedral."
The church bell chimed 'til it rang twenty-nine times
for each man on the Edmund Fitzgerald.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
of the big lake they call "Gitche Gumee."
"Superior," they said, "never gives up her dead
when the gales of November come early!"

ZagNative
07-09-2008, 05:22 PM
The gales of November can't come early enough for this Zag fan. ;)

Rangerzag
07-09-2008, 07:37 PM
I'm not sure Jazzy is ready for this news ;)

MDABE80
07-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Bob..that's one of the most spectacular odes from the 70's or ever. Good call on posting that one.
Superior never gives up her dead is true. Lake Michigan does but never Lake Superior. I lived there for a bit. It's a nasty bastid.....both lakes are impossible to predict in the Autumn.

ZagMD
07-10-2008, 06:21 AM
If the Pargo is a decommissioned nuke sub, then odds are the center section that contains it's "heart and soul" is sitting in a pit about 100 miles south of Spokane at Hanford. I'll salute him next time I drive by.
md

Zag79
07-12-2008, 02:39 AM
I think he's carved out a solid niche in Gonzaga lore, and we'll still be talking about his years as a Zag long after he's no longer suiting up as a Bulldog.

damn straight. and not only will be one of the best ever, he will be the first of his playing style as well. i love it, and im going to enjoy every minute hes tearing it up this season.