PDA

View Full Version : Ronny Offered by Golden State

SLOZag
07-08-2008, 11:20 PM
4 years, $17m. So, what will the Lakers do now? :)

SLOZag
07-08-2008, 11:21 PM
http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2008/07/turiaf-agrees-t.html

ZagNut08
07-09-2008, 01:03 AM
:( = me
:D = ronny

As a huge Lakers fan, I would be sad to see him go. It is obviously great for him. This contract will set him up financially for life. He deserves it.

I have a hard time seeing the lakers match. They may explore a s/t possibly, who knows.

I am guessing if Ronny is commanding this type of offer, Sasha will require even more to retain, so who knows how it will play out.

thebigsmoove
07-09-2008, 01:22 AM
Ronny will be a nice addition to the warriors if the lakers choose to not tender him a offer...he will be a force on the frontline and a high energy defender, i see a bright future...

ZagNative
07-09-2008, 05:04 AM
Wow, I'll miss seeing him in a Lakers uniform, if that's the way it turns out. I sure hope the Lakers match the offer and that he stays.

Here's another story, in the Long Beach Press Telegram (http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/lakers/stories/PE_Sports_Local_S_turiaf_09.47b3657.html), with this great pic:

http://www.pe.com/imagesdaily/2008/07-09/lakers_kings_basketball_400.jpg

englishzag
07-09-2008, 05:36 AM
I must preface this by admitting I am a Warriors fan, but I think that is will be great for Ronny. He will get plenty of playing time and the warriors have a good , young, super athletic team that doesn't need a scorer, but a hardworking enegizer bunny ............. I think it will work out well for both parties if he goes to the Ws

zagfan24
07-09-2008, 06:18 AM
Even as a big Lakers fan, I just can't help but be really really happy for Ronny. If you would have told me this a few years ago when he was fighting back tears at the podium, announcing his heart condition, I would have taken it in a second. The Lakers will miss him greatly if they don't match, but he more than rewarded their loyalty already with his gritty play.

Awesome job, Ronny. Couldn't happen to a better guy...:D

ZagManFan
07-09-2008, 07:46 AM
http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2008/07/turiaf-agrees-t.html

If you read the comments below the article, Ronny seemed to have made a very nice impression on the Laker fans. Of course there is this one comment....

"Gee guys, thanks for the heart surgery and all o' dat, but I must pay me bills. Guess that's the last I'll be seeing of the playoffs for a while..."

-R.Turiaf

Zagpower
07-09-2008, 07:53 AM
Good for Ronny. Couldn't happen to a better and more deserving guy.
The Warriors have an exciting up and coming team and I'd like to see Ronny remain on the West Coast for my own selfish reasons.

gamagin
07-09-2008, 07:55 AM
if he moves on, it will be the Lakers deciding to let him go rather than Ronny deciding to leave. My guess is there are a number of players who played behind Ronny on the same team making as much much as the warriors offered.

BobZag
07-09-2008, 09:09 AM
Good for Ronny. I couldn't be happier for him and his family. 4.25 mil per year. Well done, Ro Ro.

MDABE80
07-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Ronny moves to GS and he won't be heard from again. Laker exposure for him has been nothing short of sensational. If I was Ronny, I'd angle for some more money from the Lakers but they give him something he just won't get up north. He's a star to the fans in LA. How that translates to more money in a "showtime" town is unclear.........but it counts for lots in LA. GS......hey, when's the last time anyone even noticed a GS player? Isn't it a bit like getting on the boat on the River Styx?...or Milton's "Paradise Lost"?

It's a nice compliment..this offer, but if I was Ronny, I'd figure out a way to get some money but I'd try hard to stay put in LA. Just my opinion.

VinnyZag
07-09-2008, 09:37 AM
With Bynum, Odom and Gasol coming back to L.A., Turiaf will have to leave if he wants more playing time. He'll get plenty of run in Golden State, I would think.

BroncoZAG615
07-09-2008, 09:39 AM
Ronny moves to GS and he won't be heard from again.

It's the NBA, guys are always heard from and Ronny is not the type of personality that just disappears.

This contract is more than a nice compliment, it is security for a guy that wasn't sure if he was going to even be playing basketball after college because of his heart.

Well done, Ronny. You'll fit in very well at Golden State, it's an exciting, young team.

nonzagzag
07-09-2008, 10:04 AM
unfortunately, if he goes, I won't be seeing him on TV anymore :(

ZagNut08
07-09-2008, 10:11 AM
I guess since I will be living in Sacramento next year that I will be able to catch more of his games on tv if he is with the warriors

Abe, I don' think at this point he can accept a deal for less money with the lakers, if my memory serves me. Since he has accepted an offer sheet, they have to match or loose him. I don't believe they can offer him less and he can take it. I may be wrong though

I was a little suprised they didn't try to offer him something slightly less and lock him up, but oh well...great for Ronny

MDABE80
07-09-2008, 11:51 AM
NonZag...you're so right. NO TV but local for GS. Lakers are seemingly on TV all the time. Plus given their record this past year, media will blow em up whether they deserve it or not.

ZagNut........I honestly don't know how those things work. I was thinking more strategy in getting our boy his money but keeping him in the limelight of a bigtime LA media.

And Bronco...lol....if a tree falls in the forest does anyone know? Sure it falls and sure.....Ronny has that spectacular colorful demeanor....but who'll know if he's hidden away? Thats was my point... a smaller market team with good youngsters but a middlin record and minimal sports media.

zagco
07-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Zagco can think of two Warrior players off the top of his head: Rick Barry and Chris Mullin.:D

Das Zagger
07-09-2008, 12:11 PM
He'll get plenty of run in Golden State, I would think.

Thats GS' bread and butter. Where a track meet happens.

BroncoZAG615
07-09-2008, 12:23 PM
And Bronco...lol....if a tree falls in the forest does anyone know? Sure it falls and sure.....Ronny has that spectacular colorful demeanor....but who'll know if he's hidden away? Thats was my point... a smaller market team with good youngsters but a middlin record and minimal sports media.

Is it possible to get hidden away in California? :D

You're probably right Abe, but I think the Golden State fans will embrace him and honestly, we have the internet, directv, radio and all the fix-ins. If we want to see Ronny we can.

Ronny signed Golden State's offer...he must think the media coverage is just fine for him.

xjzico
07-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Zagco can think of two Warrior players off the top of his head: Rick Barry and Chris Mullin.

Nate Thurmond and Wilt Chamberlin played there. Then there was Run TMC, composed of Tim Hardaway and Mitch Richmond, along with Mullins.

And don't forget Billy Owens & Latrell Sprewell.:lmao:

Outside of the raise, I don't know what GS's front court looks like to decide if this is a good move.

sittingon50
07-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Al Attles.

theothegreat21
07-09-2008, 01:12 PM
The Warriors have Brandon Wright (UNC) and Andris Bierdins (restricted free agent). The also drafted Richard Henrdix and Anthony Randolps. In my opinion, Ronny will be the 1st big off the bench for the Warriors

RenoZag
07-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Mitch Richmond, Nate Thurmond. . .World B. Free. . .

77Zag
07-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Keith "Silk" Jamal Wilkes, Chris Webber & Robert "The Chief" Parrish

75Zag
07-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Has Ronny been contacted by the GU Alumni / Development Office yet? I understand they have may have one or two "giving opportunities" still available, but only if he acts fast!

DenDiegoZag
07-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Has Ronny been contacted by the GU Alumni / Development Office yet? I understand they have may have one or two "giving opportunities" still available, but only if he acts fast!

Between Turiaf, Morrison, and Dickau they should be able to come up with a cleverly named facility to attach those guy's names to...

I can see the sign now..."Welcome ot the Dickauirafson Honorary Wing of Sports Management..." That sounds like a winner for somewhere in Jepson...If they have not named every wing in there yet...and they were close when I was back there about a year ago...

jpwils
07-10-2008, 06:18 AM
GS has Al Harrington (whom Don Nelson isn't enamored with), Brandon
Wright, and the two rookies-Hendrix and Randolph....Ronny is the type of player Nelson likes- high energy and rebounder...to compliment the
Monta Ellis' and Corey Maggettes (scorers) they have accumulated.
I don't think Harrington is long for the Warriors plans, so Ronny should play alot.

a13coach
07-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Nate Thurmond and Wilt Chamberlin played there. Then there was Run TMC, composed of Tim Hardaway and Mitch Richmond, along with Mullins.

And don't forget Billy Owens & Latrell Sprewell.:lmao:

Outside of the raise, I don't know what GS's front court looks like to decide if this is a good move.

Mitch Richmond, Nate Thurmond. . .World B. Free. . .

Keith "Silk" Jamal Wilkes, Chris Webber & Robert "The Chief" Parrish

Joe Barry Carroll aka "Joe Barely Cares" :D
Sleepy Floyd

SLOZag
07-10-2008, 09:55 PM
The Warriors have made their offer to Ronny formal -- they just signed him to the deal that is reputed to be 4 years, $17M., and the Lakers have until July 17 to match the offer. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/07/10/SPS511NA6B.DTL

Zagineer
07-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Good for Ronny!

It's such a comforting and warm feeling to hear about good guys winning.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

gueastcoast
07-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Don't forget that Darnell Hillman played his final season for GS...sometimes I think Ronny channels him :)

(in a Pacers uni, granted, where he spent most of his career)

RenoZag
07-13-2008, 06:37 AM
74-75 World Champions (http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/GSW/1975.html)

Franchise leaders

Games – Chris Mullin (807)
Minutes Played – Nate Thurmond (30,729)
Field Goals Made – Wilt Chamberlain (7,216)
Field Goals Attempted – Rick Barry (14,392)
3-Point Field Goals Made – Jason Richardson (700)
3-Point Field Goal Attempts – Jason Richardson (2001)
Free Throws Made – Paul Arizin (5,010)
Free Throw Attempts – Paul Arizin (6,189)
Offensive Rebounds – Larry Smith (2,709)
Defensive Rebounds – Larry Smith (3,731)
Total Rebounds – Nate Thurmond (12,771)
Assists – Guy Rodgers (4,855)
Steals – Chris Mullin (1,360)
Blocked Shots – Adonal Foyle (1,090)
Turnovers – Chris Mullin (2,110)
Personal Fouls – Paul Arizin (2,764)
Points – Wilt Chamberlain (17,783)

Zagpower
07-13-2008, 07:56 AM
74-75 World Champions (http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/GSW/1975.html)

Franchise leaders

Offensive Rebounds – Larry Smith (2,709)
Defensive Rebounds – Larry Smith (3,731)
Total Rebounds – Nate Thurmond (12,771)

New Math?

LoveMyZags
07-17-2008, 12:36 PM
I believe today was the deadline for the Lakers to match...has anyone heard anymore information?:confused:

Akzag
07-17-2008, 01:04 PM
The latest (http://lakers.freedomblogging.com/2008/07/16/clock-continues-to-tick-on-turiaf/) I found ...

Clock continues to tick on Turiaf…
July 16th, 2008, 3:53 pm · 4 Comments · posted by JANIS CARR, OCREGISTER.COM
The clock is ticking…

Less than 48 hours remain before the Lakers either match the four-year, $17 million offer Ronny Turiaf got from the Golden State Warriors or let him walk. Team officials had seven days from when they first received the offer sheet to decide.

The Lakers need to notify Turiaf and/or his agent by Friday afternoon of their intentions, and as of 4 p.m. Wednesday there wasn’t anything to announce.

“No decision yet,” agent Mark Bartelstein said in an email.

“Nothing to report,” said Lakers spokesman John Black.

Akzag
07-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Thought this (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/kupchak-lakers-offer-2089451-ronny-free) was interesting as well - from the 9th ...

Turiaf hasn't told Lakers of Warriors offer
By JANIS CARR
The Orange County Register
Comments 2| Recommend 4

General Manager Mitch Kupchak has heard the rumors that Lakers forward Ronny Turiaf received an offer sheet from the Golden State Warriors.

He hasn't seen proof, though.

Kupchak said Wednesday that he has not received by fax or registered mail notification that Turiaf, a restricted free agent, has signed with another team.

"A lot of times where there's smoke, there's fire and I don't know if that's the case here," Kupchak said Wednesday

"I'm aware of the rumors, but my understanding of the process is that we have to be notified with a document, and there's been no document or notification — written or verbally."

Turiaf reportedly agreed to a four-year, $17 million offer from the Warriors late Tuesday, the first day free agents could sign offers. The Lakers have seven days from the time they receive notification to match the offer.

According to the article in the previous post, they had through Friday, (Mitch hadn't seen anything by last Wednesday) which might mean that it took a couple of days for the Lakers to be notified, and as such, gave them a couple more days by our time schedule. We should know for sure soon.

ZagNut08
07-17-2008, 02:59 PM
Correct, the offer was extended, but the week starts from when the offer sheet it signed by Ronny and delivered to the Lakers, which was several days later

SLOZag
07-17-2008, 11:11 PM
"The Warriors won't find out whether they get power forward Ronny Turiaf until [Friday]. The Los Angeles Lakers have seven days to match the four-year, $17 million offer sheet Turiaf signed with the Warriors on June 10. The Lakers didn't get the offer sheet until Friday, so they have until midnight tonight to match."

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_9917607

SageOfZagville
07-18-2008, 09:11 AM
Franchise leaders

Offensive Rebounds Larry Smith (2,709)
Defensive Rebounds Larry Smith (3,731)
Total Rebounds Nate Thurmond (12,771)

New Math?

They didn't start keeping offensive and defensive rebound stats until the 1973-1974 season. Nate was one great rebounder.

Akzag
07-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Interesting trade rumor floating around has Odom being traded for Artest. Would that open up enough room for the Lakers to re-sign Ronny ... ?

Gasol, Bynum, Mihm ...