PDA

View Full Version : OT - WSU vs UW

tobizag
03-08-2007, 10:12 PM
Rochestie is a stud! He is pushing the Cougars to victory right now. In the last three minutes he has made two free throws, a three pointer, and a two point jumper.

21 seconds to play, WSU up 72-64.

zagfan08
03-08-2007, 10:15 PM
wow i was very impressed with rochestie

TheBeast
03-08-2007, 10:16 PM
Congrats to the Cougs!!!

tobizag
03-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Congratulations Cougars!!!

I think UW is officially out of the NCAA Tournament.

zagster318
03-08-2007, 10:20 PM
I think UW is officially out of the NCAA Tournament.

Seems like a safe assumption.:D

zag944
03-08-2007, 10:27 PM
Making the tournament would have been a better way to get national exposure than canceling the series with the Zags :D

TM27
03-08-2007, 10:43 PM
That was a well played game for both teams, everyone did their job except the refs and the announcers....coincidence that Libbey was lead ref tonight?

Both teams executed extremely well. UW is much improved, it will be interesting to see if Hawes declares. WSU is a force to be reckon with (did I just write that?) With their guard play, post presence and most importantly their defense - this team actually has a shot at making some noise and if all goes well playing in Atlanta.

Tony Bennett is the coach of the year...I so hope that he does not leave the northwest.

bayzag09
03-09-2007, 12:21 AM
Hawes is going nowhere...not after the year UW had

GreenStreetElite
03-09-2007, 12:59 AM
With regards to the scheduling comment, old Loro is just trying to get his team ready for the NIT by playing all the cup cakes.

thickman1
03-09-2007, 05:11 AM
With regards to the scheduling comment, old Loro is just trying to get his team ready for the NIT by playing all the cup cakes.
:lmao:

Birddog
03-09-2007, 06:35 AM

UW is no lock for the NIT either. Here is a snippet from another site I found re. the criteria for an invite.

Just take a look at some the NIT's selection guidelines.

There are two basic lists of criteria, one evaluating the win-loss record, and another to be used mostly in the case of tiebreakers.

This second set of criteria was outlined in an e-mail attachment sent by Shaheen. It included having a strong second half of the season, outstanding performers, injuries, potential "Cinderella" teams and margins of victory over quality opponents.

In other words, it's not just RPI or conference records that the committee uses in the selection process. The committee is actually able to access a secure Web site at 5 a.m. every day in order to view a variety of statistics.

Most of that information is used for the opening criteria, where a team's record is taken into account first and foremost.

According to the attachment, "In evaluating records, such consideration is given to the number of home games, wins at home, road record, strength of conference, common opponents, and in close calls between potential invitees, games vs. each other."

Although strength of conference weighs on the decisions of the committee, Shaheen said conference affiliation doesn't necessarily matter. It's who the wins come against.

For instance, if you're a member of the Big East and finish with a 15-10 record but 11 of those wins came over non-conference creampuffs and several conference wins came from pushovers like South Florida and DePaul -- you wouldn't have a strong case for the NIT.

Birddog

GPZagFan
03-09-2007, 06:45 AM
I don't think Hawes is going anywhere, either...especially after Robbie Cowgill held him to 6 points in one of the Dawgs most important games this season!

Being drafted as a "project" doesn't always work out well...

The guy is a horse, though, and will mature into an awesome big man.

roxdoc
03-09-2007, 06:50 AM
Hey they beat UCLA late in the season and almost beat the cougs - they will be in NIT despite the early cream puffs.

devod
03-09-2007, 07:19 AM
I don't think Hawes is going anywhere, either...especially after Robbie Cowgill held him to 6 points in one of the Dawgs most important games this season!

Being drafted as a "project" doesn't always work out well...

The guy is a horse, though, and will mature into an awesome big man.

Hawes has better footwork and low post moves then some NBA players right now. He has zero guard support. He will be a top-5 pick based on skill set alone. 1-2 years he'll be a regular contributor on the correct team once his strength and comfort level catches up.

Another year at UW could be a potential huge regression for him. He's ready for the pro's. He needs to be banging against bigger guys and getting paid to get stronger and develop his game. Every year at UW will drop his value more because their guards are just so mediocre and his skill set will virtually stay stagnent (basically he'll stay the same high level and everyone else will get better).

You stay in college if you need to improve on fundamentals that will prevent you from being successful in the pro's. That is not Hawes. He needs strength, quality guards and better players to push him every day. Spencer is already over the hump of being a flop, he has a sound fundamental game, is somewhat smart, can pass as well as anyone, has a deadly arsenal of low post moves and can finish with either hand.

There is nothing that the college game is going to teach him at this point. If he needs experience and strength, why not get paid to focus solely on both.

FuManShoes
03-09-2007, 08:35 AM
Hawes should have come to GU. It's not like he had Will Conroy to pass him the ball. Dentmon regressed like a mofo this year and Apples never could pass. Had he been a Zag, Hawes coulda been getting fed by Bouldin and Pargo and enjoying the kind of success JP had on an even bigger stage against Duke, UNC, Texas, UW, Stanford, etc. Can you imagine Josh and Hawes together with Bouldin, Pargo and Raivio? Well, what's done is done. Hard to say if Hawes is coming out. Maybe he likes school and wants to achieve something at UW. He's gotta feel like this year was a dud, but maybe he's not ready to pack it in. Who are next year's studs? OJ Mayo? Kevin Love? If Hawes stays another year and actually gets the ball, he could go No. 1.

CDC84
03-09-2007, 09:08 AM
If some team can guarantee that he'll be picked in the top 7, I think he's gone. If he's viewed to be at the back end of the lottery, which NBAdraft.net is projecting (less credible than draftexpress.com, IMO, which has him at #6), it wouldn't shock me to see him come back for another year.

23dpg
03-09-2007, 09:12 AM
Hawes has potential. He is very good offensively. He needs some work on defense and with strength.

Although he isn't as highly regarded by the NBA, the better college player is Brockman. The guy is a horse. When he goes after a rebound, he usually gets it. He also has a decent shot, but can't seem to make FTs.

BobZag
03-09-2007, 09:16 AM
I just want one more Burger Boy so my Zags can be just as great as UW. Two wins outside Hec Ed, both against ASU... Oh, nevermind. :lmao:

Rochestie is a fave. Good game, Cougs.