PDA

View Full Version : Honeycutt Headed Elsewhere?

MississppiZag
07-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Tyler Honeycutt now has out of his top 5, with us replaced by Arizona State and USC. Have to feel like Few has not contacted him enough. Guess he is focused on others. Not for certain but it seems like we lost out on our only options at the Wing? Hill and Honeycutt. I am not saying it is over for those two by any means.

Oh Well, now we can focus on our bigs-Bak, Dower, Burton and others. Hope Theo does not mind, but i am now on the Anthony Marshall bandwagon.:D
I am 100% sure Few will get the right players, he always does. I like the idea of Marshall and Goodson in the back court. Hope that works out.

I am changing my pick on TKR from Honeycutt to Marshall. LOL

MississppiZag
07-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Forgot to add, that my post was based from Scout's article about the 5IVE Classic. Honeycutt said that he had been contacted by UW, USC, Arizona, UCLA, and Arizona State.

BroncoZAG615
07-08-2008, 01:39 PM
There is plenty of room on the Anthony Marshall bandwagon I'm sure. But he is as wide open as it gets as far as recruiting.

Bak Bak, Dower, Anthony Marshall would be excellent. Sub in Joe Burton for Bak Bak and I am jumping through hoops with excitement

MississppiZag
07-08-2008, 01:51 PM
I keep forgetting about Burton. I used to love the idea of Burton, then Bak came up in Bob's "the greatest PF" post. I guess i forgot. Bronco have you heard anything about our recruitment of Burton? Him and Anthony seem to be wide open, and i can't keep up with them. I would love both of them, like you said. Not to jinx it, but Dower seems like as close to a lock as it gets, wouldn't you say?

75Zag
07-08-2008, 01:51 PM
My vast network of under-informed and heavy-drinking sources tell me that Burton's improved prospects and profile have moved him beyond the reach of GU. Is he still an active option for the Zags? Hope so as I like his size and (reported) skills, but as always, I will happily accept whatever talent Few & Co can bring to the party.

BroncoZAG615
07-08-2008, 02:09 PM
I keep forgetting about Burton. I used to love the idea of Burton, then Bak came up in Bob's "the greatest PF" post. I guess i forgot. Bronco have you heard anything about our recruitment of Burton? Him and Anthony seem to be wide open, and i can't keep up with them. I would love both of them, like you said. Not to jinx it, but Dower seems like as close to a lock as it gets, wouldn't you say?

I still hold some reservations about Dower just because he is a midwest boy. There is no rhyme or reason, it's just a gut feeling that Dower's recruitment may not be over yet. It sounds like his recuritment is really starting to take off and you can bet he is hearing from some of those Big-10 schools. He made it clear that Gonzaga and George Mason are his top 2 but if Bo Ryan or any of the Big-10 coaches come calling and made serious strides, Dower could have a whole new thought process.

As far as Burton goes, I think we are a definite player. Unless he is blindly interested in the Pac-10 and thats it he has to give us a fair shake. We're not little sisters of the poor, we have a proven track record and will be a top ten team next year. But maybe Burton, like Honeycutt is looking to be out of reach for the staff and they are on Bak and Dower. I wouldn't mind any of the guys we have listed but getting Burton would be special.

Like it has been mentioned before...a deep tournament run and some big wins would eliminate a lot of the "out of GU's reach" comments from ever happening.

BobZag
07-08-2008, 02:24 PM
I wouldn't count out the Zags for anyone based on one or two articles. GU was top-3 for Honeycutt in May. Recruiting fluctuates and is as fluid as anything can possibly be. Just go with the flow, enjoy the ride and know that when Few turns it on for recruits, he does pretty good.

ZagNative
07-08-2008, 02:31 PM
I think the LOI period starts something like November 14. Last year, Meech made his verbal in early October, after his visit. He wanted to verbal on the way home after his visit, but his coach persuaded him to hold off a few days.

Tons can happen between now and LOI time. Kids are entitled to take their five visits and get a flavor for the campus and their team mates and the environment and get courted a bit.

I do feel as if some of the early Zags buzz has worn off, but I'm thinking the staff is up to their own brand of mischief, mining gold fields we haven't even thought of yet, while the thundering herd are off chasing the high-profile kids.

http://www.beckerfilms.com/Treasure.gif
Ray Giacoletti, Mark Few, and Leon Rice on the recruiting
trail, preparing to organize a search party for Tommy "We-don't-
got-to-show-you-no-steenkin'-badges" Lloyd.

I ain't skeered, and I ain't hopping on no steenkin' bandwagon yet, nor ruling out any of the usual suspects.

theothegreat21
07-08-2008, 02:49 PM
There is always room on the Anthony Marshall bandwagon :)

As for some of the other recruits.....I dont have a good feeling about Burton. I feel like with his recruiting blowing up, he will lean towards a BCS school. For Dower....he had an incredible visit here and as long as the coaches stay in touch, I really believe he will be a Zag. Honeycutt is interesting to me, because although he gets all of these Austin Daye comparisons, he is ranked outside the top 100 on rivals, while Daye was ranked 25th in a much more talented class. I think Honeycutt is good, but I dont think we are missing out on the next Austin Daye if we dont get him

As I have mentioned numerous times, my ideal class is Dower, Bak Bak/Hill/Honeycutt, Marshall, and Arop. I really believe that we have as good of a chance as anyone with both Dower and Marshall.

MississppiZag
07-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Everyone is right that Few will find the best players that suit our needs. Can not wait to see who they are. It is exciting and brings the season here faster. If Honeycutt is in our plans, great, if not there will be others out there for the taking. Any combination that involves TWO bigs will lead to a great class. Arop has played good recently, and has been called a stud. Great to see that he can be a legit scorer for us as well as for the canadian national team.

BobZag
07-08-2008, 03:11 PM
I think the LOI period starts something like November 14. Last year, Meech made his verbal in early October, after his visit. He wanted to verbal on the way home after his visit, but his coach persuaded him to hold off a few days.

Tons can happen between now and LOI time. Kids are entitled to take their five visits and get a flavor for the campus and their team mates and the environment and get courted a bit.

I do feel as if some of the early Zags buzz has worn off, but I'm thinking the staff is up to their own brand of mischief, mining gold fields we haven't even thought of yet, while the thundering herd are off chasing the high-profile kids.

http://www.beckerfilms.com/Treasure.gif
Ray Giacoletti, Mark Few, and Leon Rice on the recruiting
trail, preparing to organize a search party for Tommy "We-don't-
got-to-show-you-no-steenkin'-badges" Lloyd.

I ain't skeered, and I ain't hopping on no steenkin' bandwagon yet, nor ruling out any of the usual suspects.

Ahhh, one of my all-time favorite movies. Let's hope none of our coaches goes the way of Bogart did in this.

zag67
07-08-2008, 03:33 PM
I think that you also have to remember that Few does not know (for sure) what wings will be here in 2009. Will Daye stay? Will Kong make it to the U.S.? If both happened and we bring in another wing, then this could mean that we have too many for one position. I think that after they know what the final status is on Kong, then they can put together a wing plan. But until then, like everyone has been saying "THINK BIG". :)

pbriz
07-08-2008, 03:37 PM
I think that you also have to remember that Few does not know (for sure) what wings will be here in 2009. Will Daye stay? Will Kong make it to the U.S.? If both happened and we bring in another wing, then this could mean that we have too many for one position. I think that after they know what the final status is on Kong, then they can put together a wing plan. But until then, like everyone has been saying "THINK BIG". :)

I agree with this thinking zag67. Perhaps Daye is thinking he will wait around to leave until his junior year when he will be the big star on our team. No more Pargo, Heytvelt, Downs. Daye will be the guy. Also, good point on Kong because from everything spyzag has said Kong sounds like the real deal. Furthermore, someone with a 7'1" wingspan like Arop can play time at the 3 and Gibbs along with Bouldin can play the 2 and even the 3 if needed. I am ten times more concerned about these big men than wings at this point.

zag67
07-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Well said PBRIZ. Even if you assume that Daye goes and we do not get Kong. We have Bouldin, Goodson, Gray, Gibbs, Sacre, Polling, Foster and Arop. That is a pretty good set of 8 players to start building around.

If we add Kong to that group, then the only other major piece would be a big.

MississppiZag
07-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Speaking of Kong, when is the latest he can arrive to GU this year? If the VISA issues get corrected?

He would be a good wing and like stated before, we would not have any real need for a wing.

BobZag
07-08-2008, 04:49 PM
No later than Sept. 1st, I'd think.

MississppiZag
07-08-2008, 04:56 PM
Is it still 50/50? I hate seeing this good of a player not being able to capture his lifetime dream. I am hoping to see him here at GU and excel. It is sad to see this going on.

BobZag
07-08-2008, 05:04 PM
The government, visas, embassy decisions, bureacrats, they are impossible to predict in these cases. Common sense rarely applies.

75Zag
07-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Pardon my failing memory, but didn't Duke land Luol Deng from the Sudan under circumstances very similar to Kong? I think I recall that all the North Carolina politicians got behind Duke's effort to get Deng a visa and a visa magically appeared.

Recognizing that the current administration is not likely to bend over backwards to grant favors to a Catholic school in a "leftie" state like Washington (with 2 women Dem Senators), does anybody know what sort of political pressure is being brought to help Kong get a visa? Doesn't Spokane have a Repub congressman (or woman)? Is he/she helping out? Should we be writing letters or sending political donations to somebody?

sittingon50
07-08-2008, 05:27 PM
I'll have to disagree with you folks that think wing is set. I think the opposite; wing will be wiped out.

You can argue that Bouldin, Gibbs & Arop can play wing. Sure they can, but they're not wings. Zags will have 5 guards (Pargo, Bouldin, Gray, Gibbs, Goodsen), 4 bigs (Heytvelt, Sacre, Foster, Poling) & 3 wings (Downs, Brown [suspect] & Daye).

1 guard, 1 big & 2 wings will graduate. 1 wing will leave early. That leaves 4 guards, 3 bigs & ZERO wings.

Best case scenario, Kong gets here & redshirts. That leaves 1 wing with no D-1 experience. 09-10 would then have 5 guards (add Arop) 3 bigs & 1 wing.

4 open scholies. Needs= 1 big & 3 wings. JMO.

MississppiZag
07-08-2008, 05:51 PM
1 Big? I disagree. At the very least 2. Dower will be a PF, but he can shoot and is athletic. I like the idea of Dower, Bak, and/or Burton, along with Marshall. If we get a wing i won't complain it just seems like the need being addressed most is at the 4 and 5 position. I see Arop playing at the 3 and some 2. I don't know it is just so hard to see into the future in '09. I'll see what happens in '08 first. Hopefully Daye stays, who knows though?

Sacre and Poling will be good contributors, but we could use some more size at that particular position. Sacre will obviously start, but we need some more athleticism and D down low. This is where we need Dower AND Bak IMO.

freezer12
07-08-2008, 07:05 PM
Pardon my failing memory, but didn't Duke land Luol Deng from the Sudan under circumstances very similar to Kong? I think I recall that all the North Carolina politicians got behind Duke's effort to get Deng a visa and a visa magically appeared.

Recognizing that the current administration is not likely to bend over backwards to grant favors to a Catholic school in a "leftie" state like Washington (with 2 women Dem Senators), does anybody know what sort of political pressure is being brought to help Kong get a visa? Doesn't Spokane have a Repub congressman (or woman)? Is he/she helping out? Should we be writing letters or sending political donations to somebody?

If they can't get a damn arena for the Sonics, do you honestly expect them to help get a Visa for a Zag recruit?

You're giving the politicians of the state WAY too much credit.

CDC84
07-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Deng moved from England to New Jersey when he was a young teen and ended up playing 4 years of HS ball at Blair Academy. Duke wasn't even aware of who he was before he touched ground in the U.S.

spudzag
07-08-2008, 08:12 PM
I'll have to disagree with you folks that think wing is set. I think the opposite; wing will be wiped out.

You can argue that Bouldin, Gibbs & Arop can play wing. Sure they can, but they're not wings. Zags will have 5 guards (Pargo, Bouldin, Gray, Gibbs, Goodsen), 4 bigs (Heytvelt, Sacre, Foster, Poling) & 3 wings (Downs, Brown [suspect] & Daye).

1 guard, 1 big & 2 wings will graduate. 1 wing will leave early. That leaves 4 guards, 3 bigs & ZERO wings.

Best case scenario, Kong gets here & redshirts. That leaves 1 wing with no D-1 experience. 09-10 would then have 5 guards (add Arop) 3 bigs & 1 wing.

4 open scholies. Needs= 1 big & 3 wings. JMO.

Nice rund down. I would go 2 bigs & 2 wings ( 0 guards), but I agree with your approach.