PDA

View Full Version : Article about Adam and his recovery

Radbooks
07-08-2008, 08:52 AM
This is from today's Charlotte Observer. Here's the link (http://www.charlotte.com/bobcats/story/703861.html) to the whole article. Having recently gone through knee surgery I can sympathize with Adam, though my injury was NOTHING like his! :)

Posted on Tue, Jul. 08, 2008
Morrison mending from knee injury
By Rick Bonnell

It was the simplest little gesture; a boss telling an employee that a hospital stay wouldn't cost him his job.

But to Adam Morrison, that phone message from Charlotte Bobcats managing partner Michael Jordan – “Everything is going to be fine. You're still a part of us.” – got him through six months of knee rehabilitation.

Those six months for the Bobcats small forward occasionally were excruciating, continuously tedious and intermittently frustrating. His left knee shredded from a freak accident in an exhibition, Morrison had to remove himself from basketball for the first time since grade school.

Maybe – just maybe – the injury that tore ligaments in his knee granted something else in compensation: perspective.

“I should have grown up more than I did,” Morrison said Monday of his center-of-attention rookie season.

That was back in 2006 when the Bobcats selected Morrison third overall in the draft. Instead of a sense of entitlement, being the third pick burdened Morrison with a sense of obligation. Every time some season-ticket holder yelled, “Shoot!” Morrison felt obliged to deliver, often clanging long jumpers off the rim.

He played dramatically better on the road than at home, a clear sign his head was spinning with expectation. So the summer between his first and second NBA seasons, he promised himself he'd slow down and stop hearing the voices.

That led to a strong preseason, right up until he made a simple move on Los Angeles Lakers forward Luke Walton at the Staples Center. His left calf went one way, his left thigh went the other, and it was obvious immediately his knee was injured.

That's where this story picks up in the present: Morrison is with the Bobcats' summer-league team, which will begin practice today on UNLV's campus. He'll participate in non-contact drills this week, working toward a clearance to scrimmage in September, a month before training camp.

The knee is fine, he's told. His head seems healed, too. Difficult as this has been – he'd never been seriously injured before – there have been positives in the experience.

“I let stuff bother me, and I've learned to let it slide,” said Morrison, who was at times painfully self-conscious as a rookie. “I've got to let wins slide and I've got to let losses slide. Just keep an even” temperament.

It sounds like his forced absence has granted Morrison an appreciation for basketball he never would have had with a healthy body. He's not thinking contracts or playing time or the overabundance of wing players on the Bobcats. “I simply want to play basketball again,” Morrison said. “I miss it.”

He's had time to miss it. First it was two weeks of bed rest, following the November surgery. Then it was the incessant rehab, which started with a kind of torture machine that flexed his knee for nine hours a day.

Morrison couldn't stand the monotony, so he hooked it up at night, trying somehow to sleep through the movement, noise and pain.

“It's one of the worst things,” he recalled, “just constant motion the whole night to break up the scar tissue.”

ZagNative
07-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Thanks, Radbooks. It's good to hear from Adam. And this is excellent news, as I'd heard he wouldn't be playing in the summer league:

hat's where this story picks up in the present: Morrison is with the Bobcats' summer-league team, which will begin practice today on UNLV's campus. He'll participate in non-contact drills this week, working toward a clearance to scrimmage in September, a month before training camp.

MBZags
07-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Here's hoping that Adam can have a breakout season.

Radbooks
07-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Thanks, Radbooks. It's good to hear from Adam. And this is excellent news, as I'd heard he wouldn't be playing in the summer league:

I was glad to finally hear something about him too. I keep checking the Charlotte papers and anytime there's been any little note it's mostly been some little negative innuendo - like when Brown was hired. *sighs* I do think he'll do well this year if his knee is fully recovered and they really give him a chance to play.

ZigZagSoCal
07-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Fantastic news! The best I can ask of Ammo is for him to be himself. Looks like his drive to succeed allowed folks to get inside of his head and affect his game. I'm just glad he's regrouping and hope he gets a chance to enjoy basketball the way he did growing up. GO AMMO!!!!

Thanks for this update

StocktonIsMyHero
07-08-2008, 02:09 PM
ZagNative - reading that quote more closely, it sounds like he's not yet cleared for full-contact play and won't start scrimmaging (hopefully) until September. So that means he won't be playing in the Summer League.

Still a good sign that he's with the team though!

ZagNative
07-08-2008, 02:32 PM
I think you're right. Boy, that's been a tough, tough injury and a steep hill to climb coming back.

ZagNative
07-08-2008, 08:15 PM
From the-dispatch.com (http://www.the-dispatch.com/article/20080708/APS/807081075&cachetime=5):

New-look Morrison happy to return to the court

By MIKE CRANSTON AP Sports Writer

Just to torment you, I'm not going to post the first paragraph here. You need to look at the story (http://www.the-dispatch.com/article/20080708/APS/807081075&cachetime=5) to see how Adam's look has changed.

M-hmm. I bet you were all thinking, "What does Ammo need, looks-wise???" Um-hmm. Thought we'd all agree ..
Yet after major knee surgery, Morrison was most proud of his wardrobe change Tuesday. He finally shed the blazers he wore while sitting at the end of the bench last season for shorts and a jersey for the start of the Charlotte Bobcats' summer minicamp.

"It felt good to be out here and be a basketball player again," Morrison said.

Morrison isn't completely back from the torn anterior cruciate ligament he suffered in his left knee in an exhibition game on Oct. 20. He didn't participate in contact drills in new coach Larry Brown's first workout. He won't play in the team's summer league games starting Saturday. Brown targeted Labor Day for when Morrison will be without limitations.

And Morrison has a long way to go to disprove the critics who contend Bobcats managing partner Michael Jordan made a bad decision taking him with the third pick in the 2006 draft.

"He's got a high basketball IQ. He's a gym rat, which I love," Brown said after watching Morrison consistently hit jumpers in drills at UNLV's Cox Pavilion. "We have just got to coach him up."

Morrison's role is one of the many issues Brown must tackle as he begins his record ninth NBA head coaching job. Morrison averaged 11.8 points as a rookie in 2006-07, but the former Gonzaga star shot just 38 percent, struggled defensively, and acknowledged he felt enormous pressure from fans after Jordan selected him ahead of Brandon Roy and Rudy Gay.

Morrison was more relaxed in the preseason last year before he felt his knee pop while playing defense against the Los Angeles Lakers, wiping out his season.

"I had a good camp and felt comfortable with what my role was going to be," Morrison said. "It was disappointing. It was boring. Going to games and stuff, it's fun supporting your teammates, but it's tough knowing you're not going to have a chance to play anytime soon."

With fellow wing players Jason Richardson, Gerald Wallace, Matt Carroll and Jared Dudley, Morrison faces plenty of competition for playing time. Plus, Morrison's biggest weakness, defense, is one of Brown's top priorities.

It's perhaps why Morrison's name was mentioned in numerous trade rumors before last month's draft.

"That's stuff that's part of the NBA deal, trade rumors and whatnot," Morrison said. "We have a lot of wings and we just have to see how it plays out."

Before flying to Las Vegas, Morrison spent nearly every day rehabbing his knee at the team's training center. He said he feels little pain, but is still fighting the psychological effect. Despite having diabetes, Morrison never missed a game in high school or college and played in 78 of 82 games as an NBA rookie.

"That's the biggest thing for me, to trust the knee," Morrison said. "It's healthy, it's there. The doctors did a great job, I rehabbed right. It's just all up here."

Morrison pointed to his head, which is perhaps where Brown has been aiming, too. When Brown was introduced as coach in April, he was asked if he had met any players. He listed a few names before bringing up Morrison.

"And the kid with the long hair, I didn't know his name," Brown deadpanned. "He wasn't dressed like a basketball player."

Brown didn't mention the hair Tuesday, but did comment on Morrison's slim physique, compounded by the time spent on crutches following surgery.

"He even got a little calf muscle now," Brown said. "When I first saw him he had none."

Sounds like Morrison has some work to do to win over the Hall of Fame coach.

"He's got a great basketball mind and he loves to teach," Morrison said. "That just plays right into the hands of a young team. I think that's something we need - somebody to teach. I think it's going to be great for us."

Ezag
07-09-2008, 11:36 AM
I really hope Morrison can come back and make an impact to prove all the naysayers wrong, man already labeled a bust.

7ICoug
07-11-2008, 07:43 AM
July 9 – 11:15 a.m. (PST)
"We’re here at Cox Pavilion as the Bobcats begin their second day (and third overall practice) of Summer Camp.

Morrison looks good – he’s making his cuts, planting his feet without hesitation and seems to have a confidence to him that says he’s ready to go again. He doesn’t scrimmage and won’t be playing in the NBA Summer League as his rehab continues, but this is definitely a positive sign for Bobcats fans. "

From a Bobcat blog.