PDA

View Full Version : College Game Day

Angelo Roncalli
07-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Digger Phelps mentioned on ESPN that the GU/Memphis game will be a College Game Day.

Props to GoZags for quick reporting of the news.

theothegreat21
07-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Thats great news.....it should be a great atmosphere for that game. Hopefully the game itself and the atmosphere at the game will match the classic we got to see 2 years ago

SageOfZagville
07-07-2008, 12:45 PM
This should be a great day for the fans and especially the students at Gonzaga. It should be a recruiting tool as well.

haMarlin
07-07-2008, 12:46 PM
you forgot the !!!! at the end of the title!!!:D

zagfan24
07-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Thats great news.....it should be a great atmosphere for that game. Hopefully the game itself and the atmosphere at the game will match the classic we got to see 2 years ago

That was the only time I have seen the Zags lose and not walked away devastated. I was unhappy, obviously, but the game was so incredible I couldn't be too down. I just hope this game can come close to matching that.

And, for what it's worth, I think this is the first time when we should be the overwhelming favorite to win. I know Memphis is getting high rankings, but I can't see them losing Rose, Dorsey, and CDR and not taking a pretty big step back.

MBZags
07-07-2008, 01:31 PM
This game is at the Arena, correct? Hopefully The Kennel Club will be given a lot of seats.

BobZag
07-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Digger Phelps mentioned on ESPN that the GU/Memphis game will be a College Game Day.

Props to GoZags for quick reporting of the news.

I was robbed, I tell ya, I was robbed!

GoZags
07-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Digger is at the Moyer Foundation golf outing at Suncadia today, and "Ian" had him on the radio. I was in the car and called the Pontiff with the news.

Digger went on to say they love visiting Spokane -- and that Monson and Heathcote hold court and that the ESPN gang hang on their every word.

BobZag
07-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Jud has a hilarious sense of humor. He probably has those ESPN guys rolling on the floor.

sittingon50
07-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Great news.

VaBeachZAG
07-07-2008, 05:25 PM
It probably will not happen, but it would be fabulous if the students could be set up in a side-court floor section similar to that in the Kennel. It would lend that on-campus atmosphere to the game that I am sure ESPN Game Day would love to see. Also, that seating arrangement in the Memphis game would be the best recruiting tool for the Zags this side of a very deep run in the tournament!! Also, it would likely garner interest by ESPN for future Game Day matchups in Spokane (and, therefore, would help us pull big-time games in to Spokane).

Once and Future Zag
07-07-2008, 05:35 PM
So would this make 2 for 2 for College Game Day west of the Mississippi being hosted by Gonzaga?

gbnyba17
07-07-2008, 06:13 PM
soooooo stoked to hear this... i agree with vabeachzag that they should give us students side court seats in the arena but chances are that wont happen. i do think it would give the game a better atmosphere that ESPN strives for with gameday, but either way thats gonna be a great weekend and good exposure for our zags! can the season be here yet!?

Just A Zag
07-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Not too crazy about this. Being in the kennel for gameday was amazing, but in the Arena for it? No offense to the Spokane Arena but isn't weird that it would be college gameday and not even held in the college's home court? I just picture people on the east coast confused thinking that's actually where we play our home games.

rich
07-07-2008, 07:24 PM
And, for what it's worth, I think this is the first time when we should be the overwhelming favorite to win. I know Memphis is getting high rankings, but I can't see them losing Rose, Dorsey, and CDR and not taking a pretty big step back.

At this point, I don't think any team can be considered an "overwhelming favorite" over this upcoming Memphis squad. CDR and Dorsey will surely be missed. Yes they lose Rose -- 5th highest '08 recruit according to ESPN. They gain the '09 #3 and McDonald's All-American MVP in Tyreke Evans. Dozier and Anderson will be back, and '08 Top-50 recruit Jeff Robinson will now have room to showcase his skills. You may recall that Robinson was always on the heels of Daye in terms of SF rankings out of high school. They still have serious talent at PG in 4-Star Recruit Willie Kemp. He had 5 ppg last year at about 13 min/game. They are joined by prized '09 recruits 6'8" Wesley Witherspoon and 6'10" Angel Garcia.

Yes they are down from last year's 38-2 team, but they have reloaded as well as anyone. I think our experience (not to mention home court advantage) should tip the scales in our direction. Talent-wise its a toss up at best. In accordance with the pre-season consensus, this should be our most difficult contest.

GoZags
07-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Not too crazy about this. Being in the kennel for gameday was amazing, but in the Arena for it? No offense to the Spokane Arena but isn't weird that it would be college gameday and not even held in the college's home court? I just picture people on the east coast confused thinking that's actually where we play our home games.

The atmosphere for the most recent Memphis game in the Arena far surpassed any atmosphere in the Kennel last year (with the exception of the SMC game).

ZaggyStardust
07-07-2008, 08:04 PM
The atmosphere for the most recent Memphis game in the Arena far surpassed any atmosphere in the Kennel last year (with the exception of the SMC game).

Agreed! We just have to MAKE SURE someone donates towels for that game... What a difference that makes in the big arena!

GonzagaLove
07-07-2008, 08:28 PM
I was at the Memphis game in the Arena, and it rocked in there. It looked very impressive on tv, too. Best part, I have a chance to get tickets. I agree it does take away something not having it in the Kennel, however.

Zag79
07-07-2008, 08:41 PM
have to agree. the memphis game 2 years ago was one of the loudest games ive been to, and im a season tix holder. i will admit many games in the arena are dully lit and craving noise but if we are as loud this time against memphis as the last it will be and amazing GameDay.

MDABE80
07-07-2008, 09:18 PM
WOW!! This'll be one showcasing the CIty and GU. Steamy river..snow......huge throng of fans. This will be one for the ages. Nothing like the MAC. SOme don't like the Arena and I have to agree....for many reasons. One thing's sure though. 2 years ago.........well...it just doesn't get any better. Disadvantaged and everyone knew it. Derek, etc did some amazing work to keep us in that one. Electric place that day..........really not matched by many college games I've ever seen.......anywhere.

229SintoZag
07-07-2008, 09:49 PM
soooooo stoked to hear this... i agree with vabeachzag that they should give us students side court seats in the arena but chances are that wont happen. i do think it would give the game a better atmosphere that ESPN strives for with gameday, but either way thats gonna be a great weekend and good exposure for our zags! can the season be here yet!?

This would not be a problem if we just hosted the darn game at K2--our home court, which we all chipped in to build, so we could have big games like this there. --WHAP--Thank you sir, may I have another!!---WHAP!!!

I know I am a broken record. It is cool to have Gameday. But for me there is something a bit embarassing about having to host it at the gym downtown rather than in our brand spanking new arena on campus. And I don't apologize for that embarrassment one bit. We are not Memphis's little brother and they need us as much as we need them. What are we paying to rent the arena? What are we losing in terms of revenue for not having the game on campus? Can you imagine Duke hosting Gameday at greensboro coliseum? Or UConn having to host it in the Hartford Civic Center? Neither can I.

Hopefully this is the last such ignominy and we can get back to hosting Gameday on campus next time.

I am going to be REALLY upset if this game is not broadcast in HD. Don't even get me started......

aka the new "scheduling" Jazz of the board.

zagfan07
07-07-2008, 10:52 PM
So would this make 2 for 2 for College Game Day west of the Mississippi being hosted by Gonzaga?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe UCLA hosted a college game day last year against Arizona. But 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Larryzag
07-08-2008, 02:28 AM
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/2658/p2172026pd1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/9024/p2172035yb9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/3079/p2172040kn0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/434/p2172061jr7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Just A Zag
07-08-2008, 08:32 AM
This would not be a problem if we just hosted the darn game at K2--our home court, which we all chipped in to build, so we could have big games like this there. --WHAP--Thank you sir, may I have another!!---WHAP!!!

I know I am a broken record. It is cool to have Gameday. But for me there is something a bit embarassing about having to host it at the gym downtown rather than in our brand spanking new arena on campus. And I don't apologize for that embarrassment one bit. We are not Memphis's little brother and they need us as much as we need them. What are we paying to rent the arena? What are we losing in terms of revenue for not having the game on campus? Can you imagine Duke hosting Gameday at greensboro coliseum? Or UConn having to host it in the Hartford Civic Center? Neither can I.

Hopefully this is the last such ignominy and we can get back to hosting Gameday on campus next time.

I am going to be REALLY upset if this game is not broadcast in HD. Don't even get me started......

aka the new "scheduling" Jazz of the board.

Amen. Though it can get loud and offers a chance for people to snag a ticket, why would we ever move a gameday game off campus? Part of the fun of the first gameday was being about to camp out and such. This just seems kind of awkward to me.

mnzag24
07-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Amen. Though it can get loud and offers a chance for people to snag a ticket, why would we ever move a gameday game off campus? Part of the fun of the first gameday was being about to camp out and such. This just seems kind of awkward to me.

i was a sophomore for that game, and it was insane. camping out on mulligan, before the turf, sleeping in 35 degree weather, couldn't have gotten much better. i'll never forget it. Dookie V should be back too, give him an earful!

J-Mac Zag Forever
07-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Lets call the Tigers and explain to them that the contracts that were signed several years ago are null and void. Break the contracts and move the game to the Kennel! It will might be the last game we schedule with them and make other teams think twice about agreements with the Zags,
but what the heck we certainly showed the athletic deparment they better never do something like that again.

And aside from that, who are these Spokane people that bleed Zag blue do we really care about those fans anyway. They deserve nothing,zippo! This is College Game Day!

75Zag
07-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Do any of you Inland Empire insiders have suggestions on how somebody like me gets good seats to the Memphis game without using Stubhub and paying scalper prices? I think my Bulldog Club membership is paid up, but I am at the "pond scum" level of membership which does not give me access to any special ticket rights or other privileges. So when and where do tickets go on sale? How do I get into the first 20 rows in center court? I might be willing to donate something to Ronald McDonald Charity or whatever, but they don't seem to give us much information down here until all the good seats are sold.

scrabble08
07-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Maybe if you "New School" Kennel Clubbers weren't absolutely brutal it would make a difference. Knowing how disinterested most of you were all of last year I feel better about it being in the Arena, at least we have an excuse if our crowd is embarrassing...and the bogus talk of "toughest place to play in America" can go on unchallenged by those who haven't been to the MAC in awhile.

Prove me wrong students.

ZagNative
07-08-2008, 09:32 PM
... started by AkZag here (http://ncaabbs.com/printthread.php?tid=304693). I've said it before, I'll say it again: the fans on that Memphis MB are just the best. They're also great when they come here on guboards to visit. I love this description of a poster of his/her experience at the Arena:

he atmosphere in the Arena in 07 was electric, we were very lucky
to eke out a win. One thing they do is start playing music at about 4 minutes til the first horn blows and at 3 minutes the anoouncer very
loudly " 3 minutes,3 minutes to ZAGS basketball" and at 2 minutes.
1 minute all the while the music from that Fort Minor song we used at intro 2 yrs ago plays. Each time the crowd gets louder waving the towels til
it hits a 00:00 on the clock " It's time for Gonzaga Basketballllllll.....
CROWD GOES WILD.
Pretty intimidating and bears a look by us , gets everybody, not just
students but blue hairs pumped too.
Good town, good folks I'm going back.

Just A Zag
07-08-2008, 10:10 PM
Maybe if you "New School" Kennel Clubbers weren't absolutely brutal it would make a difference. Knowing how disinterested most of you were all of last year I feel better about it being in the Arena, at least we have an excuse if our crowd is embarrassing...and the bogus talk of "toughest place to play in America" can go on unchallenged by those who haven't been to the MAC in awhile.

Prove me wrong students.

Ok well that's a little harsh I would say. But you have a point, and compared to my previous two years it was pathetic. My argument, along with some others, is what college gameday event has ever not been on the school's campus? I have no problem with the game being in the Arena, yet putting the College Gameday stamp on it changes it imo. Cameras scanning muligan when it was full of tents, or scanning the Spokane Arena parking lots? What feels more "college"? And I don't doubt that the Arena full of Spokane faithful can sometimes be more electric than k2. I just don't like the way this feels

ZagNative
07-09-2008, 02:28 PM
It's in print now, over on Jim Meehan's blog (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=7940), posted at 2:14 pm today, so it must be true:

On the schedule...

--Gonzaga will have some special guests for its Saturday, Feb. 7, game against Memphis at the Spokane Arena. The contest is on ESPNís GameDay schedule, though there hasn't been an official release. The GameDay crew (typically Rece Davis, Digger Phelps, Jay Bilas and company) broadcasts from the host site before and after the game, which is also televised by the ESPN network.

--A contract hasnít been signed, but it appears Gonzaga will meet Arizona as part of a doubleheader in Phoenix. Arizona State will take on Alabama-Birmingham in the other contest.

JLGutrocks
07-09-2008, 04:12 PM
I think the plan is to do the morning broadcast from campus, then move stuff to the arena fo the actual game.

Zagdawg
07-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Now scrabble -- you would't want some of us old farts to break a hip.

I can see it already --not enough defibrillators to keep everyone up and functioing, do you have my nitro?--wigs being flung through the air-- wait are those your dentures or mine-- !!

Woohoo Go Zags!!!

gbnyba17
07-09-2008, 06:04 PM
i was a sophomore for that game, and it was insane. camping out on mulligan, before the turf, sleeping in 35 degree weather, couldn't have gotten much better. i'll never forget it. Dookie V should be back too, give him an earful!

i was a freshman, and will NEVER forget that weekend. mulligan literally turned into woodstock, no exageration. music was blaring, a giant tree was being burned in the middle of mulligan with 20 foot flames(in order to burn the cardinal), and a large amount of alchohol was being consumed right on campus. it was everything college is and built up huuuuge excitement for the game. the best part about it was campus security was there and didnt even stop it. they somehow claimed we were "under control". i would kill to have an oppurtunity to re-live this type of weekend, and if it happened, i would suggest everyone in spokane come and join the festivities. not only was it a BLAST but it maade the anticipation for the game was almost unbearable. bring gameday to the kennel!!!