PDA

View Full Version : Austin Daye - CBSSportsline CBB Cover Boy.

23dpg
07-06-2008, 10:15 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10888956

Good article.

Great quote at the end.

"I don't want to just put up big numbers," he said. "I want to win and go deep into the NCAA tournament because I think that would help my stock, too."

Russell Bevan
07-06-2008, 10:31 PM
"I don't want to just put up big numbers," he said. "I want to win and go deep into the NCAA tournament because I think that would help my stock, too." [/QUOTE]

That was the quote that made me scratch my head.

ZagNative
07-07-2008, 01:35 AM
From the story:

True story: I spend every July watching high school kids play basketball, and if I ever saw Daye up close, I honestly don't remember it. That's not to say I never watched him. I might've. I just can't recall. So when I first saw his name pop up on a mock draft, I was intrigued and made a point to watch him, and when I did, I walked away disappointed because I had seen future top-five picks like Derrick Rose and Michael Beasley and O.J. Mayo and Kevin Love up close, and Daye didn't strike me as any of those guys.

Why not?

Because he wasn't one of those guys.

And that's what Daye means when he says the mock draft "can also be bad." Though fun to look at, the whole thing placed unrealistic expectations on a 6-foot-10, 190-pound freshman and had folks wondering why the "future top-five pick" wasn't even starting for his college team or averaging at least 19 minutes per contest. Consequently, that Daye was actually pretty doggone good in his first season -- he averaged 10.5 points and 4.7 rebounds in 18.5 minutes per game -- got lost somehow, mostly because we expect our future stars to be present-day stars from the jump and Daye instead spent last season as just one of a group of high-level players who helped Gonzaga to its 797th consecutive West Coast Conference title.

In other words, Daye wasn't ready to be a star.

But the people who follow mock drafts weren't ready for anything less.
Considering the buildup he got and the pressure of the high expectations we fans place on our kids, Austin did a really good job this past season.

The type of talent we are now recruiting and getting and want to get more of are kids who dream of playing in the NBA. Some of the most talented of the young dreamers come to Gonzaga because they believe it will help them achieve that dream. A tough OOC schedule with a lot of nationally televised games, a deep run in the NCAA tourney, and stellar performances in the limelight will all boost a kid's stock.

Kids learn to mouth platitudes that please alums and fen off the "selfishness" tag, but in the end, it's about the team winning, and they know that to win, they have to help their team and not just expect to have the spotlight on them all the time.

I think Austin has done an admirable job keeping his head on straight, especially in the context of that story. He comes off that Say No Classic in LA last summer, posted about in this thread on guboards (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=58903#post58903) last August, gets a high position in the Draft Express story mentioned in Parrish's piece, and then he comes to Gonzaga, plays well, but doesn't start and doesn't get the number of minutes one might expect, and yet he remained level headed, cheerful, uncomplaining in public, and a good teammate, accepting his role, and ending the season speaking in the locker room of his plans to get to work as soon as possible to improve the chances for the next season, saying, "I just want to make this guy proud," nodding toward Pendo.

He's been doing just what he ought to be doing to achieve his dream, which includes helping the Zags win. I want to see Gonzaga to help him achieve his dream. If they don't make deep runs in the tourney and help boost the stock of players like Austin in the NBA draft, they're just not going to get that kind of quality player in the future and the Zags won't continue their amazing climb.

So again we see Austin high in the Mock Drafts for '09, and I hear rumors here that he wants to go in the '09 draft. I hope he's ready, if that's what he decies to do. Looking back on what he said of Pendo before playing in the WCC tournament,

“I want ‘Pendo’ to play great,” said freshman Austin Daye, who shares the ‘4’ position with Pendergraft and is Pendergraft’s roommate on road trips. “I hope for him that he accomplishes all the things he wanted to do coming to Gonzaga. I just hope Pendo and Kuso have a great game.”I just want the same things for Austin at Gonzaga - that he has a great game and that he accomplishes all the things he wanted to do coming to gonzaga.

kitzbuel
07-07-2008, 05:09 AM
I think if Austin truly uses Pendo and his workman-like approach to the game as a model, he could be phenomonally good. There are so few star players that combine top athletic talent with a dogged work ethic (think Jerry Rice or Marvin Harrison).

I hope Austin still has Pendo in his fave five!

MickMick
07-07-2008, 05:56 AM
The young man really has his head on straight. Good upbringing I suspect.

zagfan24
07-07-2008, 07:12 AM
The young man really has his head on straight. Good upbringing I suspect.

Definitely. Whenever they interviewed his dad at GU games, it was just very apparent how well adjusted Austin was because of how he was raised. He's gonna make a lot of GU people proud...

DenDiegoZag
07-07-2008, 07:40 AM
Daye instead spent last season as just one of a group of high-level players who helped Gonzaga to its 797th consecutive West Coast Conference title.

Keep them coming boys...although I dont want anymore of these "regular season...yes...tournament...no" I suspect not playing in the Slim Gym this year should help with that...

Keep up the good work Austin...

MBZags
07-07-2008, 08:52 AM
That was the quote that made me scratch my head.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm not sure if he meant it that way, but it sounds incredibly selfish.

CDC84
07-07-2008, 08:53 AM
True story: I spend every July watching high school kids play basketball, and if I ever saw Daye up close, I honestly don't remember it. That's not to say I never watched him. I might've. I just can't recall. So when I first saw his name pop up on a mock draft, I was intrigued and made a point to watch him, and when I did, I walked away disappointed because I had seen future top-five picks like Derrick Rose and Michael Beasley and O.J. Mayo and Kevin Love up close, and Daye didn't strike me as any of those guys.

While it's fair to say that Austin wasn't in the same realm (last year) as Beasley, Love, etc., if Parrish didn't notice him in July 2006, he did an extremely poor job of scouting. Austin played with James Harden and Larry Drew Jr. on one of the best AAU teams in the nation, and Daye's play was almost univerally noticed and applauded throughout ths spring & summer. You couldn't help but notice him and his potential. I think most scouts also recognized that any ranking they assigned to Austin was more based on his upside as opposed to what he was going to be able to immediately contribute.

It should also be noted that scout.com gave Daye by far the worst ranking of any major recruiting service. He was at 25 with Rivals, 30 with Hoopscooponline, 28 with Bob Gibbons, 34 with Hoopmasters, etc.

BroncoZAG615
07-07-2008, 09:12 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm not sure if he meant it that way, but it sounds incredibly selfish.

Incredibly selfish? Really?

Believe it or not, playing at Gonzaga is not the only dream Austin Daye has. He, like many other top-tier players wants to be a professional basketball player. Calling him selfish is completely off-base and laughable, Austin Daye is smart and we have seen this with every word that has come out of his mouth and have read in the newspaper. Is it selfish to want to help your team get an NCAA championships? No. And will it effectively help his draft stock if he leads us there? Yes. I don't see anything selfish about that.

Ever since Daye came here people have been trying to label him as "selfish" just because he is a blue-chip recruit and plays with an edge. And god forbid he takes some minutes from Pendo. Stop trying to find flaws in his game and personality because he is an excellent player and individual.

Does Austin text in class too?

KSTATEZAG
07-07-2008, 09:19 AM
Does Austin text in class too?

Ha...touché good sir.

sonuvazag
07-07-2008, 09:57 AM
The quote is an awkward phrasing of: "It's in my best interest to do what's best for the team."

A sign of maturity is to see alignment of team goals in personal motivation. Maybe it's vulgar for Austin to show interest in his own draft stock. <gasp> Pendo would never discuss his own draft stock.</gasp> Pendo never had a draft stock so it was always in his own best interest to make the most of his time and leave it all on the court. In a sense, it was a selfish concern of Pendo to be so tenacious, to make his style of play such a difficult standard for the more talented recruits with more of a career in basketball at stake... and here we have Austin saying he aspires to make Pendo proud... So mission accomplished for Pendo. He has Austin aiming to be more of a team-first guy.

Win-win.

MedZag
07-07-2008, 10:33 AM

Really? Just... really?

Edit: What BroncoZag said. I was going down a much more irrational and immature path with my response.

ZagNative
07-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm not sure if he meant it that way, but it sounds incredibly selfish.And you are incredibly wrong, MBZags, and are, IMO, earning a classic "Consider the source" reputation here, especially after so quickly coming in in a positive post about Matty B to gossip about his text-messaging in class.

Austin doesn't sound selfish at all. It sounds honest and realistic. A deep run in the tourney, coupled with impressive play there by him, will help his draft stock.

23dpg
07-07-2008, 11:23 AM
"I don't want to just put up big numbers," he said. "I want to win and go deep into the State tournament because I think that would help my college prospects."

Does it still sound bad?

MickMick
07-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Doesn't seem to hurt UNC when their players improve their "draft stock."

The Zags play by the same rules as everyone else.

Elite players go to elite schools. Fans of elite schools must endure losing young men to the pro ranks regulalry. You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want Gonzaga to become an elite basketball program then you must expect to send young men to the professional ranks early and often.

Memphis continues without Rose. UCLA continues without Love.

It is just the way it is.

To expect players to stay longer might be considered.....selfish.

KSTATEZAG
07-07-2008, 11:38 AM
[/quote]""I want to lose and go deep into the NIT tournament because I think that would help me recruit on a more national level, too." -Lorenzo Romar"[/quote]

How about now?
Does it sound better now... ;)

sonuvazag
07-07-2008, 11:46 AM
""I want to lose and go deep into the NIT tournament because I think that would help me recruit on a more national level, too." -Lorenzo Romar"[/quote]

How about now?
Does it sound better now... ;)[/QUOTE]

Hahaha its funny cause its true.

HillBillyZag
07-07-2008, 12:59 PM
While I have nothing but the highest regard for my fellow posters, ZN's statement that what we want at Gonzaga are kids who want to play in the NBA is a little one dimensional for this fan. I prefer to hear that a kid wants to be a Zag and then if his success at that warrants it, upon graduating will be able to play in the NBA if he/she desires that. Believe it or not there are a lot of basketball fans who think that College hoops is much more entertaining and competitive than the professional game. I can speak only for myself, but I believe that without a draft plan similar to baseballs, our sport is being turned into merely an NBA developmental league. Upon graduation from high school if a kids talent rates it, they should be able to sign a pro contract right away. However, If they elect to attend College and play they should have at least a three year obligation to the University which offers them a Scholarship. And I also resent the ### shots some of you seem to want to take at Pendo every time you get a chance. For my money I'll take kids like JP & Pendo as my College hoops poster child anyday vs some of the projected NBA draft picks with room temperature IQs, 5th grade reading skills, a rap sheet, and a ME first attitude. And AD was the furthest person from my mind here, the kid is a gem.

BroncoZAG615
07-07-2008, 01:10 PM
When has Gonzaga recruited a player with a room temperature IQ, 5th grade reading and juvinile rap sheet?

I'm not sure I get what you are saying. No one said we are recruiting a player close to this caliber.

I believe we are talking about Austin Daye and up to this point he has done nothing but represent Gonzaga in the best fashion and exhibited supreme talent.

MBZags
07-07-2008, 01:25 PM
I'd like to retract this post, the one I have above, and my comments about Matt Bouldin. I was out of line. http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=234717

ZagMania
07-07-2008, 01:40 PM
The strict, literal interpretation of Austin's quote is that the reason he wants to go deep into the tournament is to help his draft stock. However, this is reading it without context and is obviously not want he meant. Obviously what he meant is that its not about putting up big numbers, but doing everything he can to help Gonzaga do deep into the tournament not only fulfill some of his college goals but help him as a NBA prospects.

We all know what Austin meant and he's always been a class act, there's nothing to really discuss here and I'm sure the few just think that he worded it a little weird.

Gary Parish in another article has Daye as the 15th rated returning college player and Pargo at 27. I think he hasn't watched Daye play enough.

BroncoZAG615
07-07-2008, 02:00 PM
But I can't stand to have people only see one side of a person and laud that person as if they have no flaws, which seems to happen here, on occasion.

As for Daye, I even said that might not be how he meant that comment. If you guys want to pile on me just because of one comment, go ahead. People are allowed to have opinions about others. Yeah, going deep in the tournament will help his stock (obviously), but I would much rather have him talk about how it will help the program and university. Or at least throw that in there in addition to helping his stock.

I'm merely presenting my opinions and also interpreting things how they sound to me. You can disagree with me all you want, but disrepecting me. poking fun at me, etc., on a forum (where opinions are supposed to be given) isn't really going to help anyone involved. I'm just as entitled to be opinionated as anyone else here, and piling on me like I'm some kind of uneducated moron is ridiculous.

As far as Bouldin is concerned, I think that he is one of the most criticized players on these boards since I have started reading them. So I don't think that people believe that Bouldin has no flaws. I personally thought the texting thing was completely unnecessary because until Matt has trouble with his grades or becomes a problem for the team, it doesn't matter. There have been classes where I have texted more than I have listened, but I don't think that means that I do not give off a good image for the university. Regardless, his texting habits are not really worthy of calling him a classless individual.

As for Austin, I always have to stop and think and say...okay this kid is two years younger than me and is going through all this hoopla. Could he have said it better? Maybe. But I do not see one little bit of selfishness in his comment. I think Austin is going to be a great ambassador for this university. He will help spread the Gonzaga name and also attract big-time recruits from California as well as the nation.

MBZags, I did not mean to pile on to you at all. There have been many threads talking about some players on Gonzaga's hearts and attitudes and I feel many of them have been addressed specifically to Austin for no apparent reason other than the fact that he has an upcoming NBA future and is a star recruit. It was more of a general comment that people should stop fishing for something that is just not there.

MedZag
07-07-2008, 02:16 PM
MBZags, I did not mean to pile on to you at all. There have been many threads talking about some players on Gonzaga's hearts and attitudes and I feel many of them have been addressed specifically to Austin for no apparent reason other than the fact that he has an upcoming NBA future and is a star recruit. It was more of a general comment that people should stop fishing for something that is just not there.

Likewise. I just grow tired of the anecdotal "evidence" which somehow gives people the liberty to assassinate players' character on this message board. Opinions are welcome. Painting players as lazy, selfish, and such takes a step beyond an opinion IMHO. But maybe I am just a little more quick to snap because I know many of the players on the team personally, have friendships with quite a few, and see how ridiculously unfair some of the "conclusions" people on this board reach are.

Gozags2
07-07-2008, 02:32 PM
MBZags, maybe we should find out who you are and get your name on this board. Some people might have some goods on you--might be nice to get a dose of your own medicine.

sittingon50
07-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Not piling on MB, but as someone who has been misquoted by a reporter & also had a newspaper edit a letter to the editor so as to make it say exactly the opposite of what was intended, why don't we give the kid the benefit of the doubt. I'll trust him more than what passes for journalism.

JasoninPenn
07-07-2008, 03:36 PM
Hopefully I don't get this thread deleted like the one before.

But since this is getting back to Bouldin and now Daye, let me say again, can we root for these guys, know that we have a generally good bunch, but just allow that some have some flaws and if we are going to hoist them all on a pedastal as soon as they do anything good, then maybe someone might have a valid negative comment as well.

Daye said what he said. And, from the one player that I did talk to, that sounds about right. There is a reason Daye did not play as many minutes as someone with his skill normally would. He is selfish on the court. Sometimes that works (see Morrison, Adam). Sometimes not. And it did not fly with him as a freshman last year.

And, Bouldin keeps his grades good enough to play. 'Nuff said about that without going any further.

MississppiZag
07-07-2008, 03:41 PM
I'll take Daye's "selfishness'' anyday. He is going to be a star, whether or not people like it or not. I hope he shoots twice as much this year.:D

SLOZag
07-07-2008, 04:10 PM
... from the one player that I did talk to ... There is a reason Daye did not play as many minutes as someone with his skill normally would. He is selfish on the court.

OK, lets put that one to the 'ol sniff test:

Lets imagine Coach Few going through that mental calculus. He ignores such things as the closeness of the game, the need to reward Pendo for his efforts for four years, the need to nurture Austin's self-confidence, and all the other players on the team during CY '07-'08 that wanted/needed to get playing time. Instead, for the reason JasoninPenn suggests, Coach Few reaches the conclusion JasoninPenn suggests. And then, to top this story off, Coach Few shares his reasoning with either the "one player" JasoninPenn references, or with JasoninPenn directly.

Does this story pass the sniff test? Does it seem even remotely likely? :rolleyes:

HELLOOOOO!

Once and Future Zag
07-07-2008, 04:21 PM
He was a freshman.

I repeat... he was a FRESHMAN.

Making freshman mistakes that (IMO) came from his used to being a totally dominant player the year before in high school. Getting used to playing with (and relying on and trusting) Zag-level players after playing with other HS players has got to be tough.

Repeat with me...

Freshman.

JasoninPenn
07-07-2008, 04:24 PM
OK, lets put that one to the 'ol sniff test:

Lets imagine Coach Few going through that mental calculus. He ignores such things as the closeness of the game, the need to reward Pendo for his efforts for four years, the need to nurture Austin's self-confidence, and all the other players on the team during CY '07-'08 that wanted/needed to get playing time. Instead, for the reason JasoninPenn suggests, Coach Few reaches the conclusion JasoninPenn suggests. And then, to top this story off, Coach Few shares his reasoning with either the "one player" JasoninPenn references, or with JasoninPenn directly.

Does this story pass the sniff test? Does it seem even remotely likely? :rolleyes:

HELLOOOOO!

or maybe when he does not run the correct play in the game, but instead goes one on one, he gets benched, and without Few having to say a word, everyone on the team knows why.

or maybe he does the same in practice and he gets sent to the sidelines because of that, and it is explained, loudly, to Daye, and all others why he is sitting.

Maybe Daye had a few choice, under his breath but heard, comments about the situation.

That is how it was explained to me last year when I asked why Daye was not playing more.

Daye said something in the press, and, instead of everyone taking what was said as possible, everyone is claiming that he was misquoted. Does that pass the sniff test?

CDC84
07-07-2008, 04:41 PM
All freshmen who were major scoring talents in high school need to understand the idea of shot selection once they get to college. It's a phase that everyone goes through. Especially for a major talent like Daye. But I don't think it has anything to do with "selfishness." It has to do with a programmed instinct to fire away because it's the only way your high school team can win. In college it's different.....you have talented players around you. In college you also have defenders hounding you that are sometimes 4 years older than you and 40 pounds heavier. It's not as easy to make "bad" shots as it is in high school - especially when you're physically underdeveloped. Freshman scorers also need to grasp the idea of time and score in the college game.

The real reason why Daye didn't see as many minutes as some of the more big time freshmen last season was because he simply wasn't physically ready to see major minutes against Gonzaga's huge opponents. He also lacked mental toughness on both ends when teams tried to put a body on him. If he weighed 215 last year, and had the toughness of a Michael Beasley, you would've seen him starting and playing as many minutes as anyone. You would've wanted him hucking up shots, because the majority of them would've gone in due to his immense skill level. It's all a strength issue with him....getting stronger is going to allow him to score in more ways against tough defenses. It will also make his defense and rebounding better. But I also feel that as the season moved along, his shot selection got better, and you saw him display a better understanding of time and score issues in games. You saw him display more maturity by the time WCC play rolled around.

Real selfishness only comes into play when you see a guy hucking up a ton of shots at a low percentage. That's the kind of on court behavior that truly alienates teammates and ticks off a coaching staff. Despite all of his growing pains, Austin still averaged 10.5 PPG last season on 48&#37; shooting and 41% from 3 point land.

oczagfan
07-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Selfish??? Are you joking??? Austin is a kid that should have started last year, but instead played only 18 minutes per game. Project out his stats (if he had started) and you will see that he deserved a starting spot (Pretty much anywhere in the country). He never got that opportunity ... and never once did he pout, talk about transferring, or stop rooting for Pendo. Instead he called Pendo's mother before the last home game to be sure he could wear a "Pendo's Posse" t-shirt in warm-ups ...to honor his mentor ... his teammate ... his friend ... and the guy who started in front of him.

There are many adjectives to describe Austin Daye ... but selfish is NOT one of them.

oczagfan
07-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Oh and ... if those red dots are a representation of some people not appreciating the fact that I defend these kids, then bring on the dots ... the more the better !!!

MississppiZag
07-07-2008, 06:08 PM
He is the most talented kid we have ever had and the highest sought after recruit. Now he is a selfish player, being criticized by some random guy, who supposively HEARD that he was being to selfish with the ball. Correct me if i sm wrong, but didn't Ammo used to take a good amount of shots.

Keep shooting Daye, keep being selfish.

CDC, he will never be a strong guy, and 15 pounds will not be much of a difference. He is a 6'10'' shooting guard.

Was he not our best shooter? Steven Gray does not count, that would not be fair.:D

cjm720
07-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Austin was a tough one for me to gauge last year. His skill and upside are up there with any I`ve seen in any sport yet he did seem quite immature at times. It´s not just that he´s hard on himself but he seemed a bit of a baby at times. This may not be the most proper description but something about his demeanor was a bit off putting at times. Maybe Ï´m wrong, but my point is that I think he needs another couple years under Few to not only be a better player but become a man (and gain about 25 pounds).

Rubbadub
07-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Oh and ... if those red dots are a representation of some people not appreciating the fact that I defend these kids, then bring on the dots ... the more the better !!!

Rub doesn't see any red dots.

MississppiZag
07-07-2008, 07:23 PM
As Few stated, he will be in the NBA before the world sees his full potential. Unfortunately we will never see his true talent, because Few runs a tighter system than most coaches and this will probably be his last year(I hope i am wrong).

CDC84
07-07-2008, 07:44 PM
CDC, he will never be a strong guy, and 15 pounds will not be much of a difference. He is a 6'10'' shooting guard.

He's never going to be a "strong" guy, but I very much disagree that 15 pounds of muscle won't make much of a difference. It could make millions and millions of dollars worth a difference. It made a huge difference for Adam Morrison. He went from being a one on one nightmare at the college level to a guy who could finish near the rim against triple teams against Stanford on College Gameday. If he didn't gain that 15-20 pounds at GU, he wouldn't have been a lottery selection, and he would've been at GU all 4 years. I am certain of that. That extra bulk is what allowed him to transform from a very talented offensive player to one of the best the college game has seen in years. Adam was and still isn't a "strong" guy, but he could do things part way into his sophomore year and all the way thru his junior year that he couldn't even dream of doing as a freshman. Especially when it came to operating in the paint in traffic.

I also don't agree that Daye is a shooting guard. I think of him as more of a point forward. Shooting guards can't rebound like Austin, block shots like Austin, and score over true big men in the paint like he will once he gets a bit more strength. He has too much height, athleticism and wingspan, in addition to low post moves, to just be a guy operating from the perimeter on the offensive end.

There were literally dozens and dozens and dozens of plays last year that would've resulted in points if Daye just had 15 more pounds of muscle on him. Listen to the TV color analysts. They sounded like a broken record:..."that's a lack of strength," "that shot will go down after he lives in the weight room." It's all strength with him. He was so skinny last year that he wouldn't have been a major force even if he was more skilled and naturally talented than he already is. He doesn't need to be a body builder, but he needs to have enough meat on him to allow his skills to have an impact. The strength, combined with his skills, will allow him to make shots against challenging defenses. That hasn't happened yet. Heck, it may not fully happen until well after he leaves the program.

MedZag
07-07-2008, 07:54 PM
He's never going to be a "strong" guy, but I very much disagree that 15 pounds of muscle won't make much of a difference. It could make millions and millions of dollars worth a difference. It made a huge difference for Adam Morrison.

I've been saying for a while that the GU training staff should have Austin on the same work out plan as Mo did between his soph and junior years. If Adam can add that much strength (which he did) with his metabolism and diabetic dietary restrictions, Austin should be able to as well. The rest of his game is already developed well beyond a kid his age.

webspinnre
07-07-2008, 10:26 PM
The only comment I'm going to make about the Bouldin texting in class bit is to mention that I was a pretty decent student (3.3ish), who, depending on the class, would sometimes spend more time solving the crossword puzzle than listening. Maybe this makes me a bad person, and yeah, I probably could've worked a bit harder in school, but I imagine most of us didn't work as hard at GU as we could or should have.

Lets try not to be too hard on these GU students for comments they make, or actions that we happen to see small bits of when we don't know the full stories behind any of them. Certainly there's no need to try to tear either Austin or Matt to shreds on the internet, right?

DenDiegoZag
07-08-2008, 08:05 AM
Lets try not to be too hard on these GU students for comments they make, or actions that we happen to see small bits of when we don't know the full stories behind any of them. Certainly there's no need to try to tear either Austin or Matt to shreds on the internet, right?

Not to mention the fact that 99% of us have no idea how difficult it is to be a Student-Athlete. The time demands alone are more than most of us can comprehend while we were students at GU. Matt is a great basketball player, a great friend (I know this straight from the mouth of one of his best friends since high school), and a stand up guy.

Anyone challenging the fact that Austin is a class act is delirious. Go back and watch any post-game interview with him. Take a look at the entire body of quotes that he made throughout the season. He did exactly what freshman do in all levels of life: he learned. At the end of the day, who cares what his motivations are for the fact that he really wants to win basketball games. All that should matter to the true GU fan, is that he is winning those games while proudly wearing a jersey with the Gonzaga name on it.

GO ZAGS!

BoltZag
07-08-2008, 08:24 AM
I can't believe some of you people went to Gonzaga. :rolleyes:

Gozags2
07-08-2008, 08:42 AM
FYI, according to sources, Matt is extremely well read, probably reads as many books as any avid reader. Should pay attention in class. All these guys are just average joe's playing basketball on an above average joe basketball team. If anyone sees it different, I think they are the ones with the problem.

As far as the comment of a "Free Ride" through school--nothing is so far from the truth. These guys schedule is so demanding--hours and hours of workouts, practices, meetings, injuries, volulnteering, camps, booster functions, 2 to 3 days off for Christmas, no spring break, no thanksgiving break, "the game". They go year round...plus trying to enjoy the college experience while staying focused and current in the classroom while having an unbelievable travel schedule. The "cherry"...putting up with constant insults. There are probably easier ways to get a so called "free ride"

Phones/messaging should be off or not allowed in the classroom but that is a whole different subject. Goes for crossword puzzles, too. Lol

BobZag
07-08-2008, 09:06 AM
I think Shakespeare wrote a play about this thread.

"Much Ado About Nothing."

BroncoZAG615
07-08-2008, 09:56 AM
I think Shakespeare wrote a play about this thread.

"Much Ado About Nothing."

I think a nice bloodbath of Shakespearean tragedy fits this thread better.

Maybe Hamlet ;)

ZagNative
07-08-2008, 09:57 AM
I really hope that when/if players families and friends read these boards, they understand that the negative posters are a vocal minority segment of the Gonzaga fan community.

Increasingly, I pause before posting a link here to a story about a Gonzaga player or former player, because I anticipate the seemingly inevitable negative posts.

Missing from the discussion here is that fact that Austin Daye is one of a handful of college players at LeBron's Skills Academy. Included on the list shown in this pdf file (http://inside.nikebasketball.com/news/wp-content/2008/07/08_lebron_college_roster.pdf) from the camp's website (http://inside.nikebasketball.com/news/eliteyouth/lebron-skills-academy/):

4 Al Fisher Guard 6’01 185 Sr. Kent State
31 Austin Daye Forward 6’10 190 So Gonzaga
15 Curtis Jerrells Guard 6’01 205 Sr Baylor
10 DaJuan Summers Forward 6’08 250 Jr Georgetown
33 Demar DeRozan Guard 6’05 195 Fr Southern Cal
35 Derrick Brown Forward 6’08 225 Jr Xavier
44 DeShawn Sims Forward 6’08 235 Jr. Michigan
9 Devan Downey Guard 5’09 173 Jr South Carolina
55 Hasheem Thabeet Center 7’03 265 Jr UCONN
6 Jack McClinton Guard 6’02 214 Sr Miami
2 James Harden Guard 6’04 218 So Arizona State
11 Jarvis Varnado Forward 6’09 210 Jr Mississippi State
34 Jerome Jordan Center 7’00 235 Sr Tulsa
7 Jonny Flynn Guard 6’00 190 So Syracuse
5 Kalin Lucas Guard 6’00 180 So Michigan State
12 Kyle Singler Forward 6’08 220 So Duke
25 Manny Harris Guard 6’05 180 So. Michigan
8 Patrick Christopher Guard 6’05 215 Jr CAL
14 Ryan Thompson Guard 6’06 210 Jr Rider
20 Sam Young Forward 6’06 215 Sr PITT
13 Terrence Williams Forward 6’06 215 Sr Louisville
32 Tyler Smith Forward 6’07 215 Jr Tennessee
42 Tyreke Evans Guard 6’04 205 Fr Memphis
So, nothing to talk about there, huh? Austin gets invited to LeBron's skills camp, and no one says, "Good for Austin!"? "Go get 'em Austin!"? Or even, "Take advantage of a great learning opportunity, Austin, and come back and fire up the Zags this fall!"?

No, the post devolves to one minor aside from a story that some here find a perceived negative on the kid .... What is it about that eagle eye for the negative that some here seem to have?

75Zag
07-08-2008, 02:21 PM
As other people have said more eloquently than I can, if you want to attract elite kids and use their skills to become an elite program, you need to have a program (and a fan base) which accepts the reality that elite kids spend 1 or 2 years in college on their way to the NBA. I have never visited a UCLA fan site, but I can't imagine they are whining because Kevin Love "only" spent 1 year at UCLA. I suspect they are kissing the ground over the fact that he came to UCLA at all, regardless of how long he stayed.

Lots of GU fans are used to the "old way" where a kid comes to college, spends 4 or 5 years, graduates, and then goes off to seek his fortune in the NBA or in Europe or wherever. I think those days are over, just like the days of $3.50 gasoline and Windows XP.

I welcome Austin and any and all other elite kids to GU. I hope the GU program can give every elite kid what he needs during his 1 or 2 years here, and I wish all of them a fantastic future.

Go, Fight, Win

BroncoZAG615
07-08-2008, 02:25 PM
As other people have said more eloquently than I can, if you want to attract elite kids and use their skills to become an elite program, you need to have a program (and a fan base) which accepts the reality that elite kids spend 1 or 2 years in college on their way to the NBA. I have never visited a UCLA fan site, but I can't imagine they are whining because Kevin Love "only" spent 1 year at UCLA. I suspect they are kissing the ground over the fact that he came to UCLA at all, regardless of how long he stayed.

Lots of GU fans are used to the "old way" where a kid comes to college, spends 4 or 5 years, graduates, and then goes off to seek his fortune in the NBA or in Europe or wherever. I think those days are over, just like the days of $3.50 gasoline and Windows XP.

I welcome Austin and any and all other elite kids to GU. I hope the GU program can give every elite kid what he needs during his 1 or 2 years here, and I wish all of them a fantastic future.

Go, Fight, Win

My favorite post in many months, you could not have said it any better.

23dpg
07-08-2008, 03:23 PM
WOW,

When I posted this little blurb, I expected a reply...maybe up to five replies about Austin.

Some of you are getting a wee bit nutty.

The most probable cure? The season to start!

HillBillyZag
07-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Guess I'm part of the "old way" and don't care to change, I hope there is room for us too.Go Zags!

CDC84
07-09-2008, 09:50 AM
I have never visited a UCLA fan site, but I can't imagine they are whining because Kevin Love "only" spent 1 year at UCLA. I suspect they are kissing the ground over the fact that he came to UCLA at all, regardless of how long he stayed.

Unfortunately, there was some whining on their scout.com board when Kevin decided to leave early. This is despite the fact that the whiners knew going in that he was basically one and done. His Dad had hinted at it repeatedly. Howland himself knew what they were getting into. It was just a small percentage of people, but a small percentage of people who should've known better.

I really feel there is a distinction between a promising talent who enters a college program with no pre-set expectations, but who leaves early for the pros because his potential and performance has yielded a guarantee of money that is just too much to pass up, and a kid who enters a program with a cocky "I'm out of here no matter what" type attitude. I don't view a guy like Austin as being the latter. Then again, I also didn't view Derrick Rose or Greg Oden as being like that, despite being obvious one and done candidates. Austin will only leave Gonzaga at a time when his stock is so overwhelmingly high that it would almost be insane to not leave early. I don't think this any different than the countless number of kids who have left college early without graduating to join an internet start-up company or what not.

What is a problem for me is when someone thinks they're hot stuff entering a program, when in fact they haven't proven anything. Austin chose Gonzaga because of its ability to develop players. And he also chose the school for the academics.....his Dad has been very public about that.