PDA

View Full Version : adidas "It Takes 5ive" Classic

freezer12
07-06-2008, 05:02 PM
In my boredom today, I decided to head on over to the AAU tourney that's going on at the University of Cincinnati. Originally, my main reason was to check out 2009 SCU recruit Niyi Harrison and his Bay Area Hoosiers, but I decided to check out some Zag recruits that you guys talk about all the time on here. I'll be the first to admit that my opinion doesn't mean much, but I figured some of you might appreciate an update on the action from today (and maybe MississippiZag will become slightly more sane :p). Here goes:

Bak Bak, Double Pump Elite: First of all, the team they played looked like a bunch of midgets (tallest was 6'3" maybe). They even had some kids that looked like they were going to be freshmen in HS. DP Elite won (plus or minus) 95-35. Ok...Bak is skinny as all get out. Definitely more of a bean pole than the first time I saw Micah Downs at Leavey. And I'm not just talking about his upper body, his legs too. That being said, you can see the potential. He has great hands and good feet. He played in the high post a lot and passed out of it well, especially with Stover. He also drained 2 threes, one in rhythm at the top and one from the corner. Using my "rabbit ears," I found out that he grew 2 inches in 9 months (now 6'9"). His dad is 7 feet apparently, so I wouldn't be surprised if he grew more. Oh, and Manute Bol is his 2nd cousin.

Anthony Stover, DP Elite: He's definitely more of your classic low post player than Bak is. He has huge feet, but can still run well. It appeared that he had a good strong base, but he needs to hit up the "beach workout." Yes, he's slight up top. He dunked pretty easily on the smaller team. His best play was off of a block. He kept going down the floor and once a teammate corralled the loose ball, he was waiting for the dunk. To be honest, it was kind of hard to get a good sense of what he could do because of the opponent. DP Elite is playing as I type this, but I'm back at home.

Anthony Marshall, Las Vegas Prospects: I didn't have a roster, so I found a picture of him using my Blackberry and matched it with a face, so there is a chance it's the wrong person. I doubt it, though, because I can't imagine any other guard on his team being a top prospect. Anyways, this is about #12 on the LV Prospects. Marshall should definitely play the PG position in college, but he also played the SG. He reminded me a lot of Steven Gray. He could stroke it, but also taken any defender to the rack. He finished with both hands. He was easily the "go to" player on his team, especially during their 2nd game, when they won by 2 or 3. I did notice that he'd show a lot of emotion, either getting disappointed at himself for a missed shot or when a teammate turned the ball over. All in all, I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being some team's answer to not landing Peyton Siva or whomever.

Josh Smith, Seattle Rotary Select: First of all, this team is ridiculously good. The talent was stunning and I'm not just talking about the top players (Siva, Smith, Wroten). Alright, so as some were saying earlier, they thought that Smith shouldn't get all the hype he's gotten. After seeing him today, I disagree. Yes, he takes plays off and sometimes lackadaisically jogs down the floor, but what college coach won't change that? The kid is a force defensively. He had maybe 10 blocks or more in the first game. By the end, the other team was afraid to go inside. He had a pretty good offensive game, but there's a lot of potential in it. He has great hands, as well, and was an excellent rebounder. He's also an extremely wide body and in time, I imagine he'll get rid of the fat and add the muscles.

I'd tell you about Siva and Wroten, who were simply outstanding, more in depth, but I think everybody here knows who they are and how good they are. I wouldn't be surprised if Siva holds down a PG spot as a frosh where ever he ends up. Wroten is such an impressive athlete. He's a beast defensively and can knock down shots. I kept thinking about how good of a WR he'd be if he chose football instead.

Also, here's a list of coaches I recognized that might be of interest that were in attendance: Kerry Keating, Ben Howland, Donny Daniels (UCLA assistant), Lute Olson, Rick Pitino, Jim Shaw (UW assistant), Craig Robinson, UP assistant Eric Jackson (who else would wear a purple polo with a "P" on it?), a LMU coach, a Cal assistant (not Jay John), red headed Arkansas coach, Butler's head coach, and many, many more (my head is starting to hurt).

This was my first AAU tournament and the one thing that would describe it best for me: meat market. Pretty self explanatory, I think. 6 courts, games 8am-9:20pm. It was definitely eye opening.

Ok, so now you Zags can't ever hate me again. This took too much effort. :D

75Zag
07-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Thanks for all the work. As a recent attendee at a Portland (Rose City) AAU event, I share your pain.

So is Bak Bak is a poor man's version ( or perhaps more accurately a WCC version) of Kevin Love?

I have been praying for GU to have a giant slab of meat at low post, and several have suggested that Bak Bak is our savior. Does not sound like he is, which does not surprise me in light of the non-attention that Bak Bak has been receiving on the recruiting forums, etc.

freezer12
07-06-2008, 05:30 PM
So is Bak Bak is a poor man's version (or perhaps more accurately a WCC version) of Kevin Love?

Hypothetically, if KLove is 12 inches thick, Bak is 3 inches thick. Not even close to being a "banger." They don't play the same position, but Big John would break him.

Bak wore a t-shirt underneath his jersey and when I see that, I believe that the player is embarrassed by how weak/skinny he is. See Autstin Daye (and yes, I know he's really freaking good).

MississppiZag
07-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Good Job and Thanks freezer, i think my heart rate is th lowest it has been in a while. This is the first year i have been into recruiting so you are going to have to cut me some slack. Maybe next yr won't be so bad.lol:D

Again thanks

CDC84
07-06-2008, 08:39 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Siva holds down a PG spot as a frosh where ever he ends up.

Siva is headed to Louisville to play for Pitino.

zag buddy
07-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Thanks for all your effort and info. It made an enjoyable read.

BobZag
07-07-2008, 08:58 AM
From Scout--

Josh Smith, C, Seattle Rotary Select The 2010 class is full of quality post prospects, at least at the top, and Josh Smith is right there with the best of them. Hes got a huge frame and stands 6-foot-9, 275-pounds. Hes got a nice set of hands, creates space inside and can score around the tin. Word is that he shot over 75-percent from the field during the high school season, and thats not a surprise, as he takes high percentage shots and gets a lot of tip opportunities.

From Rivals--

Josh Smith simply had a block party during his two games with Seattle Rotary Select. Easily in double figures for blocks over the course of the two games, Smith was quick off his feet to go along with impeccable timing. Best of all is that he corrals most of his blocks in his big time hands.