PDA

View Full Version : Another pop culture Gonzaga mention

23dpg
07-01-2008, 10:16 AM
This is from the Bill Simmons article on ESPN.com.

Actually, that was the initial idea for this column: my new list of sports dreams now that my three Boston teams have come through. For instance, I still can dream about another heavyweight as unstoppable as Mike Tyson. Or about Holy Cross, my alma mater, pulling a Gonzaga and making it to the Sweet 16.

It is amazing how often I come across a completely non-basketball related article that mentions Gonzaga.

ZagNative
07-01-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm telling you, Gonzaga - special niche in the lexicon ... (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=3987).

My favorite from that thread,

Film Director Roberto Benigni, THE Gonzaga OF THE Academy Awards. Off-line now, but that one was from 1999, and it cracked me up!

I have noticed, though, I've been seeing fewer of those non-bball references in the past year. Got to win a couple of games in the NCAA's before they start up again, I think, or maybe we're too established as a national power by now to have "Cinderella" come so quickly to mind. :( ;)

siliconzag
07-01-2008, 10:55 AM
This town where the venerable Kdoggy once got into a scuffle in his youthful past. (Kdoggy confessed on this forum). Anyway it has a pizza joint named, "Egisto". Egisto played hoops for Siena professionally and stands about 6 ft. 9 inches. Anyway, I gave him a Gonzaga flag to fly over the bar when I visited in June. Don't know if it is still up or not. But if you go to Montecatini you will see it at Egisto, and if you don't, be sure to complain. I forgot to get it autographed by Mark Few. Next time.

Sili

Akzag
07-01-2008, 02:19 PM
There's a Gonzaga flag ...? How did I miss that?