PDA

View Full Version : Late Night Pick Up Games

BobZag
07-01-2008, 09:01 AM
Usually around 9pm during team camps you can find pick-up games going on in K2. Has anyone sat in on one or two? I'm hearing Bouldin is buffer and leaner than ever.

theothegreat21
07-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Matt is much more lean then the past couple of years

Meech and Gibbs are very impressive....Poling has a great skill set but is still a couple of years away

Downs and Sacre both have improved a ton

bigfoot3
07-01-2008, 11:32 AM
I went and watched last night. Micah looked good, definately added more muscle. Goodson is unbelievably fast. Bouldin was not playing. Whats up with heytvelt's foot?

Areyoukiddingme
07-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Do you think they will be playing tonight? I would love to go and watch some of it. Do I need to buy tickets off the internet for $500.00?

spudzag
07-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Josh had the walking cast, assume he is recovering from the earlier surgery.

I believe it was Josh Smith who joined the team for a while Sunday night. He had a couple of nice stuffs over Foster and Sacre. Gray was hot seemed like nearly everything he put up went in. Grant was there, quite a shooter. No one was playing with too muc intensity so more entertaining than revealing how they have developed.

NEZAGFAN
07-01-2008, 01:20 PM
I thought I recall reading that Matt was in Denver for the entire summer working with a Nuggets trainer? I'm actually going to the Pro-Am League next Monday in Denver and I was told by my friend who plays in it that Matt has been there. I'll be sure to report if Matt is there.

BobZag
07-01-2008, 02:12 PM
Austin is the only missing Zag. Matt is here, I'm pretty sure.

It's very likely the guys play tonight again.

MDABE80
07-01-2008, 04:17 PM
Hope you're right BZ. I hope to go have a look this very night.YES!!!

GonzagaGurl08
07-01-2008, 08:56 PM
All this talk of pick-up games makes want to back to Spokane. I wish I had done summer school up there once in 4 years. I hope to get back during a summer, maybe see Hoopfest, or go to the Dan Dickau Charity game. That all depends on what I end up doing for a job.

tyra
07-01-2008, 09:32 PM
That's scarey good news. Our only Burger Boy has improved a ton? Heck, I thought he was pretty darn good last year. :)

23dpg
07-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Pick up games are fun and I'm jealous of all of you that can go watch, but they really don't mean a thing. There is no way you can equate success in the pick up games to the real ones.

As an example, last year many Huskies watched Wolfinger play in their summer games and pegged him for stardom.

Spokanicoug
07-01-2008, 11:05 PM
As an example, last year many Huskies watched Wolfinger play in their summer games and pegged him for stardom.

Then again, many Huskies are complete idiots.

2011Zag
07-02-2008, 01:34 AM
Pick up games are fun and I'm jealous of all of you that can go watch, but they really don't mean a thing. There is no way you can equate success in the pick up games to the real ones.

Many Huskies actually think Romar can coach.

Schmitty
07-02-2008, 07:03 AM
Then again, many Huskies are complete idiots.

Spot on.:lmao:

bigfoot3
07-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Ya, Matt is here as of right now. not sure if he will be leaving or not for the summer but i talked with him for a bit at hoopfest.

ZagAccountant
07-02-2008, 12:44 PM
do you think the guys will be playing tonight? if so, how does one get into THE k2? which door? do they mind? how many people are watching normally?

Thanks!

HoopinJeff
07-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Matt in better shape. Micah even better. Watch out, things arw going to be fun next year.

Areyoukiddingme
07-02-2008, 03:02 PM
do you think the guys will be playing tonight? if so, how does one get into THE k2? which door? do they mind? how many people are watching normally?

Thanks!

I would love to know to!!

skan72
07-03-2008, 12:18 PM
I was a coach of a team that attended team camp this week and here is what I saw:

Matt Bouldin - he looks to be in extremely good shape right now, having leaned out since last year when I attended team camp. His jumper is more consistent than I remember and he threw down a nice 360 dunk when the defense parted completely. Other than that I didn't see him participate in the scrimmages too much.

Micah Downs - way more muscular and bigger than last year, his offensive moves this summer just seem ridiculous. He does whatever he wants out there, shooting from everywhere on the court and then using his very impressive ballhandling skills for a 6'8" fellow to get to the rack. In my opinion he was the best player by far out there.

Will Foster - ho hum, he doesn't do much for a 7'4" guy, had a couple dunks in total over all the scrimmages I saw and just appears to be the same player as the last two years I've been to team camp.

Grant Gibbs- he did not impress me too much, he hit a ton of shots when he was at the side practising, but in the games he could just as easily not have been there and it wouldn't have made too great of a difference.

Demetri Goodson - ATHLETE!!! my goodness is this young man fast/quick/has amazing leaping ability/strong. He has very good handles which he utilizes well and passes the ball extremely well. He got to the rim whenever he wanted but he had a fair amount of trouble actually finishing in contact, his jumper needs some work but it is still quite good. He certainly asserted himself as the best frosh out there.

Steven Gray - I don't think he missed a shot while I was watching all camp. No, but seriously he can absolutely bomb and seems to have put some more muscle on. He gets to the rack nicely and uses his body well to finish, but scored the vast majority of his points running of screens for catch-and-shoot 3s.

Jeremy Pargo - can't say too much about him as he didn't really try all that hard in most of the scrimmages. His handles are quite impressive but most of the time he was just joking around or distributing the ball for other guys, I assume he was working on making himself an even better point guard.

Andy Poling - nice soft jumper, but he really needs to put some weight on. Bullied in the post and only scored from about 10 feet out as he never really got to the rim.

Robert Sacre - vastly improved from just standing around doing nothing last year. He had some nice post moves, sealing his man and then making a move at the hoop faking his defender and shooting it over him. His post moves are definitely coming along and it seems he has put some more muscle on as well, which was inevitable.

Andrew Sorenson - love the guy, he just works so hard and has a wonderful jumper. Obviously he wasn't close to being one of the best out there, but what can I say he worked his butt off to make the team and continues to do so.

on a side note Petteri Koponen was there and was very quick with a superb handle and great distributing and leadership skills, not that this matters at all to Gonzaga's future as a basketball program

NontradZag
07-03-2008, 01:00 PM
What link does Petteri Koponen have with the GU Program? Does anyone know if he is playing internationally this summer or, more likely, in the NBA Dev. league?

skan72
07-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Well, Zack is an international player and he was at most of the pick up games so I can only assume he knows Koponen from overseas and invited him to scrimmage. Now that would seem like a very small reason to come over from Finland but then that leads me to assume he also had a good reason to come to the Northwest this summer; such as, Portland (who own his rights) were working with him for awhile and then he got sometime off.
All of this is speculation.

tenniszag
07-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Demetri Goodson - ATHLETE!!! my goodness is this young man fast/quick/has amazing leaping ability/strong. He has very good handles which he utilizes well and passes the ball extremely well. He got to the rim whenever he wanted but he had a fair amount of trouble actually finishing in contact, his jumper needs some work but it is still quite good. He certainly asserted himself as the best frosh out there.

Sounds exactly like Pargo when he was a frosh.

Zag79
07-03-2008, 02:27 PM
Micah Downs - way more muscular and bigger than last year, his offensive moves this summer just seem ridiculous. He does whatever he wants out there, shooting from everywhere on the court and then using his very impressive ballhandling skills for a 6'8" fellow to get to the rack. In my opinion he was the best player by far out there.

what should have been known is just now being seen? hmm i think PT boost is in order this season. hopefully.

hockeyzag
07-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Thank you for the post Skan, I've been waiting awhile for a breakdown like that. I was glad to see the honest critiques of all the players.

BobZag
07-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Thanks, Skan.

I've heard Micah looks like the best player out there, and that Sacre has really improved, as Skan said. Meech will get minutes, I hear, but he is only 5'10"ish and not as bulky as Pargo.

I also hear that we may all be surprised by Poling when he's done redshirting. Hitting that 10-12 foot jump shot can be bread and butter for a big, ala Matthew Knight of LMU. Some bulk is needed, though, so he can be more effective around the rim.

CDC84
07-03-2008, 03:11 PM
I am not surprised by Sacre's improvement. He works as hard as anyone on this team. He is just going to get better and better. If you're a coach, he's the kind of guy you want to teach the game to.