PDA

View Full Version : Fallout in the WCC

FuManShoes
03-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Are you guys surprised by the coaching changes / firings / forced resignations in the WCC this year? Was this bound to happen, or is it the result of a "down" GU again winning the conference? Perhaps that's a bit arrogant to say, but it does seem that at some point WCC members have to realize they can't go on playing second fiddle to GU forever. Of course, simply shuffling the deck chairs won't matter unless they start throwing some resl money into their programs to attract quality coaches and recruits.

sittingon50
03-08-2007, 08:15 PM
WCC was what, #14 Conference this year? Long way from the #7 of a few years back.

Beginning next year:
M. Few 8 yrs.
R. Bennett 6 yrs.
J. Evans 3 yrs.
R. Tention 2 yrs.
V. Wahlberg 1 yr.
E. Reveno 1 yr.
SCU Rookie
USD Rookie

I remain doubtful that Evans will ever get it going & Tention's team was built to win it this year; injuries derailed him. They might finish last next year. That's 2 established teams next year. Even if most of these guys turn into great coaches & stick around, it's gonna' be stinky for some time IMO.

ZagNut08
03-09-2007, 01:35 AM
I have hopes for pepperdine in the coming years...he has 9 recruits I believe coming in next year. Some of which are highly touted or rather solid. A handful fit walbergs mold of 6'6-6'8 wing players. They may be a year or two out still, but I think they could make some noise in coming years

McZag
03-09-2007, 05:59 AM
we've been waiting for. From what I've read out here and heard elsewhere, it's critical for the advancement of GU basketball that the WCC raise their game-literally. The other teams need to schedule tougher, win more non-conference games, raise their RPI's and in turn elevate the status and ranking of the conference. This could be a two seed league every year and a 3 seed league periodically with the right scheduling and wins. Hopefully a new generation of coaches who truly want to win big games in big venues will make this happen. One way to ensure that our GU coaches stay and are happy is if, by winning, the league makes it easier for the NCAA committee to take 2 or more teams from the WCC EVERY YEAR. That will eleviate the pressure to win the regular season AND the conference tourney in order to secure a bid.

We don't want the "Next Gonzaga" to come from the Horizon Leaugue or the Colonial Conference. We want it to be another WCC program and turn all eyes to the West Coast as the new hot bed for college basketball.

gonzagulous
03-09-2007, 08:27 AM
I'm excited to see Pepperdine's progress in the next few years. Walberg got some national attention for his hyperspeed offense, and if he can start pulling in quality players that work in his system, they could very well be a force to deal with in the WCC and maybe even nationally.

To the WCC: Somebody! Anybody! Pleeeeease take that beat-the-Zags energy you always bring against us and win some big games against somebody other than us - I promise it will be just as sweet (well maybe not quite as sweet) as beating the Zags!