PDA

View Full Version : U.c.l.a.

BobZag
06-30-2008, 08:29 AM
"I’ve been to every day of the camps since Coach Howland arrived at UCLA and Friday was by far the worst in terms of intensity, focus, toughness and just overall competitiveness. It’s very interesting to watch the reaction of high school players when they’re put in an environment that approximates (very roughly) what goes on in a UCLA practice. The vast majority of the kids are just not used to the level of intensity demanded and the attention to detail. They’ve all been to many camps and workouts before, where coaches put them through some drills. And usually they go through those drills somewhat half-assed and it’s just something to do until they get to play games. But it’s a little different at this camp and most of the players weren’t ready to perform at the level the UCLA staff demands." --Greg Hicks

KSTATEZAG
06-30-2008, 11:35 AM
I only wish we are at the level of Howlands UCLA teams in terms of prestige. He could run "5 star" recruits through the ringer and they would still be lining up for an offer. I'm not sure we'd be able to make the same demands with equal expectation. IMO of course.

sonuvazag
06-30-2008, 12:50 PM
I only wish we are at the level of Howlands UCLA teams in terms of prestige. He could run "5 star" recruits through the ringer and they would still be lining up for an offer. I'm not sure we'd be able to make the same demands with equal expectation. IMO of course.
Good point. Chicken/egg. Which came first? The do-no-wrong prestige or the hard-nosed commitment to excellence. Clearly, not every coach at UCLA has been able to produce...

CDC84
06-30-2008, 02:40 PM
The UCLA brand name, as well as the school's location, is going to bring in the players no matter who is coaching there. Even Lavin's bad coaching didn't deter players from signing on. In fact, a few of Lavin's teams had a greater amount of highly recruited players on them than last season's UCLA team.

The difference with Howland is that these kids are now being properly coached. He's also going after guys who will fit his style of play. Sometimes he misevaluates (see Chace Stanback), but he's on target more often than not.

siliconzag
06-30-2008, 05:09 PM
I hate UCLA? At the risk of perseverating, I really hate UCLA. More than Stanford. More than Washington Huskies. More than the Cougars. I would venture to say that I hate them more than the sum total of all three of those others. Just sayin.

Sili

wiszag
06-30-2008, 06:25 PM
I'd have bet my last dollar that you didn't hate anyone more than Stanford. I'm, quite frankly, amazed.

229SintoZag
07-01-2008, 11:13 AM
.?