PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Marshall Update..Rivals.

NEZAGFAN
06-28-2008, 01:51 AM
Anthony Marshall just wants to be known as a ballplayer. He may be listed as a shooting guard, but Marshall's all-around game and playmaking skills make him a strong candidate to handle the point guard duties as well. The 6-foot-3, 195-pound hooper currently holds offers from six schools, including Washington. He gave Husky Digest the latest on his recruitment just after he put his array of skills on display at the NBA Players Association Top 100 Camp in Charlottesville, VA.

Anthony Marshall has the skills to play either guard position at the college level.
At the NBA Camp, Marshall received strong reviews for his ability to get the rim and create on offense along with his ability to influence a game on defense. That critique wasn't far off from Marshall's own description of his playing style.

"I would say my biggest strength is being able to penetrate. That allows me to score and then once the defense starts to step up on me, I can create for my teammates," explained Marshall. "And I think I play good defense and rebound well for my size."

As a junior this past season at Mojave High School (Las Vegas, Nev.), Marshall certainly illustrated the completeness of his game, nearly averaging a triple double (19 points, nine rebounds, and eight assists). He was a first team all-state, first team all-conference, and first team all-league selection.

"I like to get up and down the court, pushing the ball or running the wing. And I like getting other players involved," Marshall said.

That style of play seems well suited to the type of basketball currently employed at Washington under head coach Lorenzo Romar. Marshall, who also holds offers from Colorado State, Miami (FL), UNLV, Virginia, and Gonzaga, said he is interested in the Huskies, but is keeping his options open overall.

"Washington has a good tradition of getting players to the next level and I'm looking for (a program) that can help me get to that elite level," he said. "I'm pretty much wide open I'm not really close to choosing a school yet but I think the Huskies have a good program."

Marshall received his offer from Washington a couple of months ago and said that he has been talking to the Husky coaching staff ever since. However, he said he will wait a while before he narrows down his list of favorites.

"I want to keep looking at my options and take advantage of my official and unofficial visits before I decide anything," said Marshall, who noted that UCLA, Florida, and SMU have also been talking to him recently.

As far as his visits go, Marshall's trip to the NBA Camp in Virginia was one of several unofficial trips he is taking care of. Last weekend (June 14-15), he made a stop in Miami and said that he also has plans to attend Elite Camps at Marquette and UCLA in the coming weeks. There is also a chance Marshall will check out Gonzaga, though he noted has yet to schedule anything with Washington.

Marshall added that he is not really getting recruited specifically as a 2 guard. Although he is currently rated as Rivals.com's No. 29 shooting guard prospect for the class of 2009 (No. 109 overall), Marshall says he is confident he can play either guard position once his college career begins.

"I'm comfortable playing the point and shooting guard I just think of myself as a ballplayer. Whatever needs to be done on the court, that's what I'm going to do," he said.

spudzag
06-28-2008, 05:59 AM
There is also a chance Marshall will check out Gonzaga, though he noted has yet to schedule anything with Washington.

I don't thing Marshall is a priority. I don't remember any memtion of Few & Co. being after him, like the comments he has about Romar, in past articles. We have several guards that will serve us well for years to come, including an '09 commitment.

The focus seems, to me any way, to be on adding a wing and three bigs. Look at the roster, that's where the real need is.

BobZag
06-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Not sure about three bigs in 2009. Two bigs, certainly. I'm thinking two bigs and a tall wing (combo forward) to go with Mangisto Arop. That leaves one more opening (if Daye leaves) which could be used for 1) a guard like Marshall, 2) to leave open for transfer or 11th hour surprise..........

I hate to be a party pooper but I just don't see all three of Burton, Bak and Dower signing on with GU. :o

theothegreat21
06-28-2008, 08:56 AM
I don't thing Marshall is a priority. I don't remember any memtion of Few & Co. being after him, like the comments he has about Romar, in past articles. We have several guards that will serve us well for years to come, including an '09 commitment.

The focus seems, to me any way, to be on adding a wing and three bigs. Look at the roster, that's where the real need is.

If you check out Marshall's rivals page, he mentions that the GU coaches have been recruiting him since the start of his junior year....its mentioned in one of his older links.

I have to believe and hope :) that there is interest both ways, because Marshall continually mentions Gonzaga in every interview, and he is would be a perfect fit for GU.

As Bob mentioned, I think we only sign 2 bigs. Im not holding out hope for Burton, so I think we are looking at an 09 class of Arop, Bak Bak, Dower, Marshall/Hill/Honeycutt (any of those 3)....and hopefully an eligible Kong. Thats a pretty incredible class if the coaches put it together

ZagNative
06-28-2008, 08:57 AM

The focus seems, to me any way, to be on adding a wing and three bigs. Look at the roster, that's where the real need is.There was a mention in one article that they visited his school in Las Vegas early last fall and offered after the Cactus Classic this year. I think either Theo or Bronco would be much aggrieved to hear that the staff isn't after him, because as I recall he's one of The Kennel Report's faves. But he has a ton of schools after him. I've gotten kind of discouraged about the thundering herd of high profile coaches after him making offers, though.

Oops! Theo and BZ beat me to it, while I was checking for where I saw the reference about Few & Co.'s visit to his school.

Here's a pic of the Mojave's #33 that I better post now before he gets scarfed up by some mega school:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/Anthony%20Marshall/AnthonyMarshallMojaveHighcropped.jpg

BobZag
06-28-2008, 09:08 AM
There was a mention in one article that they visited his school in Las Vegas early last fall and offered after the Cactus Classic this year. I think either Theo or Bronco would be much aggrieved to hear that the staff isn't after him, because as I recall he's one of The Kennel Report's faves. But he has a ton of schools after him. I've gotten kind of discouraged about the thundering herd of high profile coaches after him making offers, though.

ZN, you need the attitude of: "Bring 'em on." :)

ZagNative
06-28-2008, 09:15 AM
ZN, you need the attitude of: "Bring 'em on." :)Don't you even be talkin' to me, Mr. Bak-Bak's-Going-to-be-a-Zag-Any-Minute-Now .....

"Oh, MississippiZag, BZ's missing your tantrums. Better get over here quick while he's still on line!"

http://www.eye-q.co.za/eyeq/images/ani_man_tantrum.gif

theothegreat21
06-28-2008, 09:27 AM
I cant deny the passion that both Bronco and I share for Anthony Marshall. I haven't been that interested in a recruit and what he could potentially bring to the table since Austin.

And just from everything I have read about Anthony, apparently he is a great kid and great student, I think that the fact that the Zags have been there since the beginning recruiting him will pay off big in the end. As long as the staff stays on him until the end and continues to display interest we should be in the hunt

And ZN....have faith in Bob ;)

MississppiZag
06-28-2008, 10:10 AM
i have adopted a calmer approach to the off seaeson. i was headed in the wrong direction, and losing yrs off my life. NIce to hear that the mystery recruit was Bak. i hope he continues to have interest in us as well as anthony

MickMick
06-28-2008, 10:19 AM
Rotnei Clarke burned me out on this sweepstakes stuff.

ZagNative
06-28-2008, 10:26 AM
And ZN....have faith in Bob ;)I'm just giving him a bad time ... because he's lovely when he's angry and his eyes flash so (Maureen O'Hara style - he's a spitfire, that one).

That whole last post was tongue in cheek, including the reference to Bak Bak. Unfortunately, I have no inside dope at all but am patiently waiting beneath BZ's table, looking up with anxious eyes, like everyone else, waiting for some crumb of information to fall my way.

And, yes, MississippiZag, I've certainly noticed how remarkably calm you've been this off-season, except for the six-times-a-day tugging on BZ's skirt with entreaties for just one more clue. ("Is he bigger than a breadbox?")

theothegreat21
06-28-2008, 10:30 AM
I know you were just messing around with bob :)..

and to everyone else as ZN said, just remain calm and have a little bit of patience....it will pay off!!!

spudzag
06-28-2008, 01:37 PM
Okay, okay, so their isn't going to be a spot for me on the chat board recruiting staff. On the bright side my post got everyone engaged. :)

So here is what I was thinking about when I say three bigs. Looking at the 09 roster hears is what we see (right know anyway);

Guards (5)
Boulding
Gray
Goodson
Gibbs
Arop

Wings (1)
Kong -maybe
Daye - NBA most likely

Bigs (3)
Sacre
Foster
Poling

Clearly a need at the wing, could take 2 really or maybe Arop plays moves there. 2 bigs would balance with the number of guards, but I just don't see the need to add another. And don't get me wrong, I think Marshall has tons of promise. (don't think our changes of landing him are that good, but that's another thread)

For me, it's simply a matter of numbers and keeping balance on the team. 13 scholarships equates to about 2.6 players for each position. So some spots, will get 2 and some 3. Makes sense, allows for development and potential injuries.

If the 13th spot isn't left open, which isn't a bad idea, (only 2 spots availabe in'10). But if the 13th spot is going to be filled, I think it makes more sense to take a PF or C than a PG or SG. We had discussed many times that bigs just take more time to develop. And more likely injured.

The weakness in my earlier post (at least one of them) is that a second wing probably makes more sense if it isn't held open.

Back to my arm chair. (as a sidelight center court at Hoophest is pretty nice this year,I caught Pendo's game this morning)

MississppiZag
06-29-2008, 06:40 AM
ZN, calm down, your kind of snapping at everyone. Don't subscribe to 8 different recruiting websites like you, so i am left in the dark when it comes this time of the yr. I just like to know whats the status is with some of the young recruits. Can't find anything out without the help of the board, mostly from Bob. He seems to know more and find it quicker more than anyone else. If that bothers you sorry, but get over it:D

As far as Anthony goes, he is a great young player, that would be a great help and fit to the program. If Honeycutt, Hill, and one of the bigs fall out, then he would be a great pickup. Our focus should be on bigs, wings, then guards. We got Arop, so Bak, Dower, and Hill/Honeycutt, would be great.

OT, but what's up with Hill, he still has us listed but have not heard anything from him lately. Hope he's still interested.

Reborn
06-29-2008, 06:56 AM
The wings last year were Bouldin and Gray. Boulding is a Junior and Gray only a Soph. Yes, they are guards but they play the wing. So I see us pretty set at the Wing for quite awhile.

Downs was first off the bench last year as a wing. He is in his last year, so we will need some more help in 09 class.

Everyone sees Daye as a wing, and of course Few could change things us next year. Last year Daye played at the #4, and with Pendo gone I expect Daye to start at the 4 next year. Of course he'll be gone next year so we will need help there starting in'09 as well.

I know that many of you will disagree with my assessment, but this is just how it was last year. In my opinion Few doesn't make a lot of changes in what he wants to do vs what the board here would like him to do.

Here is my guess. Sacre will not start. Poling will Red Shirt. Sacre will back Josh up. If Josh gets hurt again Poling will not red shirt.

I don't know a lot about Gibbs but I see him red shirting. Meech will play.

MississppiZag
06-29-2008, 07:32 AM
I agree, it would be nice to see Sacre start at the beginning and prove some people wrong, but i just don't see it happening. Same goes for Downs, but i too see Bouldin starting. I hope Daye stays for his junior yr, but lets face it we are lucky to have him back this year. Can't wait for the season to start, only 4 more months.:)