PDA

View Full Version : How does the Zag Home record stack up?

MickMick
06-27-2008, 11:01 AM
Apparently not very well.

link (http://community.prepticket.com/photo/photo/show?id=823292%3APhoto%3A55524&context=album&albumId=823292%3AAlbum%3A55525)

tenniszag
06-27-2008, 11:07 AM
The only place I have first-hand experience of on that list is Mckale Center. I have been to several games there and it does not come close to the home-court advantage K2 has. Granted, their non-students are much more into the game than ours.......but that doesn't even come close to the effect our student section usually has on a game.

pbriz
06-27-2008, 11:09 AM
I have been to the Dean Dome and while the seemingly endless banners that hang from that place can be intimidating, the crowd isn't. No real student section (only a couple rows of risers) and the alumni and students are mixed together by sections. No real cheers can get initiated because of that and it is nowhere near the atmosphere in the kennel.

Once and Future Zag
06-27-2008, 12:09 PM
Funny - all BSC conference schools

ETA: yes I missed BYU...

duper
06-27-2008, 02:37 PM
I have been to Arkansas game durring Nolan R's time and it was impressive but I was also relatively young. Other than that I have been to d-1 games in 8 different venues and Gonzaga was at the upper end of those 8 if not the best. In all honesty however I have always thought this was the only aspect of GU basketball that possibly was overrated (because of our win streak at home.) Fact is they give us no respect in other areas they kind of owe us something.

Sarenyon
06-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Only one non-BCS school and that was BYU. We used to be on this list when we had a 25+ home winning streak going... hopefully we'll be back to that soon.

I'm surprised that the FedEx forum that Memphis plays in wasn't listed. I went to see GU - Memphis there and that place was rocking. GREAT home team fans too.

So I'd have to disagree. K2 and FedEx should be on this list...

GoZags
06-27-2008, 07:11 PM
I believe the Zags are something like 202 - 11 at home, in the Kennel (K1 and K2) the last decade and a half.

That's a home winning percentage of .948. Thus, why would our gym (with our opponents winning percentage in the Kennel over the past 15+ years at 0.052) be considered tough?

I can certainly see why the Zags aren't listed.

ZagNative
06-28-2008, 11:03 AM
These are the only games the Zags have lost in the Kennel or K2 since November 13l, 1998:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/Zags%20Win%20Loss%20Records/2008-06-28Win-LossintheKennel.jpg

(The numbers in Parenthesis are RPIs)

Caveat: KenPom considers games in the Veteran's arena as home games rather than semi-homes and games like at Memphis FedEx Forum also a home game, even though it's not on Memphis campus.

I adjusted for the Memphis loss at the VA but did not take any W's in the VA out. One of these days maybe I'll get around to doing that.

With the Wins at the arena included, the loss percentage at "home," as KenPom defines it, is 3.88%.

The source is KenPom RPI schedules, which I copied and pasted into a spreadsheet. I've compared the numbers to those I've seen elsewhere, and I think they are accurate.

GoZags
06-28-2008, 11:10 AM
FWIW, the New Mexico loss was at the Arena, and not on the Zag's home court (K1/K2).

theothegreat21
06-28-2008, 11:11 AM
We also lost to WSU last year at K2

ZagNative
06-28-2008, 11:27 AM
Yup. I found that the official record book has the game location, so it should be easy to fix that. Great way to learn some history, BTW. I'll update the numbers, hopefully before too long. The EWU games were at the Arena from 2003 through 2005, for example.

Edited to add: See if this is better. At the bottom, I also included all the games played in spokane away from the Kennel and K2, both wins and losses from 1998-1999 through March 2008.

Looks like a 96% wins in K2 and the Kennel, 82% at the Coloseum or Arena, and 95% in Spokane overall. If you see any mistakes, let me know. I did find some anomalies in the way Kenpom classified games as being at home or semi-home.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/2008-06-28Win-LossintheKennelandAre.jpg

Gee, that Prairie View A & M game must have packed 'em in at the Coloseum or whatever. 314 RPI? I have to check that out ...:confused: Yup. We played them in the Arena, per the GU record book.