PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga Defense

MississppiZag
06-26-2008, 12:51 PM
Kind of random, but... why don't we run a 2-3 zone like we use to. It is effective with the height that we have, and it can lead to fast break opportunities. If our lineup had Sacre/Downs, Heytvelt, and Daye, that would be one of the tallest frontcourts, and one of those combinations would be at the bottom of the zone. At the top we would have Pargo or Gray ready to push the ball in transition. It's an idea that i think would be pretty effective with this year's team. Just a suggestion.

MickMick
06-26-2008, 01:03 PM
My rules of coaching.

1) Master a few things instead of being adequate at many things.
2) Do what you do best. In other words, adapt the style to your players instead of adapting players to your style.
3) Focus on forcing the other team to adjust to you...as opposed to adjusting to them.
4) Find the matchups that work and keep going back to them until the other team can prove they can beat them. Quickly abandon the matchups that are not working.

You can interpret how the Zag defense fits into this any way you like. ;)

mdZag23
06-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Everytime we step close to a 2-3 zone or a 2-3 matchup zone, the natives go crazy about people 3 point shooting us to death!

Then we get to the tournament and we play man to man and we run into someone that we can't guard and we go to a zone, a la Jameson Curry who gets 40, and the natives crucify the staff and the players for not being able to play man to man.

My opinion is that you have to adjust what defense you are playing to your opponents and you have to have athletes that can play both styles of defense cause if you can't mix it up teams are going to figure out a way to beat you anyway. I think our staff does a good job of mixing up defenses. We've seen them play both of the above, as well as some 1-3-1 stuff, and just about everything else under the sun and there was vast improvement last year in our defensive statistics.

This year, I believe, you will start to see more teams play more 2-3 with the 3 pt line being moved back. It was way to close for this level of competition and has been since they instituted the 3 pt line.

just my 2 cents.

BobZag
06-26-2008, 01:58 PM
Stephen.

spotucky
06-26-2008, 02:09 PM
Mississippi Zag, I agree with you. I think we need to run this often with our length that we have. If it worked for Syracuse it could work for us. ;)

DenDiegoZag
06-26-2008, 04:53 PM
How about we just play some kind of defense consistently. I don't care if it is man-to-man, full court press, half court trap, the 1-3-1, or even the triangle and two. Let's just get the team to commit to playing consistent defense throughout a game, not to mention game-in-game-out.

If you are looking for an example of what I am talking about, take a look back on the DVR of Kansas' defense in the Big 12 Tournament, as well as, the NCAA Tournament...

GO ZAGS!

VinnyZag
06-26-2008, 11:52 PM
I'll preface this by saying I'm prejudiced against zone defenses. Especially the 2-3.
GU doesn't have to play zone any more because Few gets more athletic kids now. Part of the reason they ran zone so much was to cover for kids who weren't good on defense -- Morrison, Mallon, even Batista to a certain extent. The current crop -- Downs, Pargo, etc. -- can guard the guy across from them. They don't need to hide in a zone.
Zones are vulnerable against good shooters and tend to allow a lot of offensive rebounds. We should run screaming from them.

siliconzag
06-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Is a bit of an ephemeral entity at GU. Does anybody remember Al Brightman besides me? I actually don't remember him, but I heard about him from my father. He was quoted as saying the best way to play defense is to score more points than your opponents. He was one of the original disciples of race horse basketball at Seattle U with the O Brien twins. Hank Gathers had a similar philosophy when he was at LMU.

A modicum of defense however would appear to be essential in doing well in the tournament. And it would seem to me that the Zone vs. Man to man argument may be less important than a tenacious vs. a loose defense. As I watched in agony at the Newell Classic in Oakland a few years ago, as Josh Childress bombed away at will, I must admit that I joined those who called for man to man defense. And to this day, it seems that the most storied programs have used MTM.

Whatever defense the coaches use, I think it is important to keep a little of the Al Brightman, Hank Gather's school of thinking in mind. And at the same time, there are times in a game, (especially crunch time) when the D has to lock down. And the absence of that has been our Achilles heel in the tournament.

There might be something in us fly fisherman that make us vulnerable during tournament time. Especially in this barbless, let them off the hook era.
Sili

VinnyZag
06-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Hank Gathers, RIP, was a player at LMU. Paul Westhead is the coach with the crazy offensive philosophy. I believe he's now an assistant with the Sonics.
I agree to an extent with the idea that an aggressive, trapping zone can be effective. But I'm definitely from the Bob Knight school in this: Man-to-Man is better.

siliconzag
06-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Hank Gathers, RIP, was a player at LMU. Paul Westhead is the coach with the crazy offensive philosophy. I believe he's now an assistant with the Sonics.
I agree to an extent with the idea that an aggressive, trapping zone can be effective. But I'm definitely from the Bob Knight school in this: Man-to-Man is better.

Thanks for the correction. I am really getting old, as my quoting Al Brightman shows. Didn't Paul W eventually end up coaching the Denver Nuggets? I agree with your comments about MTM being superior. The Wizzard used a full court zone press, if I remember correctly.

The key is to adopt a defensive scheme that works, and then practice it. Neither Al Brightman, nor Paul W took their teams very deep in the tournament.

VinnyZag
06-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Didn't Paul W eventually end up coaching the Denver Nuggets?

Yes. It was highly entertaining but completely unsuccessful form of NBA basketball that made a star out of Michael Adams but didn't win many games for the Nuggets. I believe he coached in the WNBA, too. He's actually got quite the coaching resume.

zagco
06-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Zagco won't be satistfied until we run an Amoeba Defense and execute it like UNLV did back in the day. :D

wccobservor
06-27-2008, 10:29 PM
just an observation with respect to the defense thread. the zags didnt get it done in wcc tourney last yr and were set up lose in 1st round due to a big lack of defensive intent in san diego. they looked as though they felt they were grandfathered in to the championship and didnt get after it. nba like. cant win that way