• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Bulldogs

As the Cinderella Fresno State Bulldogs put a whupping on the Georgia Bulldogs to earn College World Series Champions, I'm wondering if Gonzaga can make a similar run in basketball. According to the reporters, FSU being champions is the equivalent to a 14 seed winning it all in college hoops. Yet I think we can all agree that there's just no way a 14 seed is going to ever do this in basketball.

Question is: If the Zags get incredibly hot, get a little lucky, earn a 1, 2 or 3 seed, could they do what FSU just did in baseball?

What's the difference (odds wise) between what the baseball Bulldogs from Fresno just did and the basketball Bulldogs from Spokane can do?
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • MontanaZag
    Kennel Club Material
    • Nov 2007

A great reminder!

A great reminder of just what our bulldogs need . . . . the underdog mentality, us against the world! If we play with that chip on our shoulder there is NO reason why our bulldogs cant do the same thing . . . .WIN IT ALL!

Comment

• MDABE80
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

If the Zags can pull off an Elite 8 in the manner done nearly 10 years ago, they can que up a FF. It's the luck, the talent, the injuries, the timing, a few cm's here and there..and the talent (again). It's manageable.

I'd rather see a power run to the title but I'd settle for a nice proportion of luck. It's how legends develop. Think Loyola of Chicago in 1963 facing the big "O" and Cincy. Ramblers had no chance but they won it all. Not to be heard from much in the future but they won and shouldn't have been anywhere near the tournament. Cincy was in it's 3rd straight Final Four (they won the two previous). 60-58 and there they were......the CHAMPS!

Comment

• 229SintoZag
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

One problem

Basketball is a zero-tolerance postseason proposition.

One loss, show's over.

If that had applied to Fresno, they would not be where they are.

The hoops accomplishment is much more difficult.

Comment

• freezer12
          Not Zag Material
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by 229SintoZag View Post
          Basketball is a zero-tolerance postseason proposition.

One loss, show's over.

If that had applied to Fresno, they would not be where they are.

The hoops accomplishment is much more difficult.
          Georgia lost too. What's your point? Apples and oranges.

Comment

• B Wayne
            Kennel Club
            • Nov 2007

In all due respect to Freezer, Sinto's made the first "apples to oranges" analogy when he argued that the comparison between Fresno State in baseball and GU (or any other team) in basketball is not valid. For as much "surprise" as we hear about Fresno, the media has short term memory about the "surprise" over the beleagured Oregon State sports program winning 06 and then again 07 in NCAA baseball. Not only was it a surprise because of the nature of OSU's sport program, but it was the first non warm weather team to win a NCAA baseball title in decades.

This factual history corroborates Sinto's point that basketball to baseball is "apples to oranges" rather than Freezers contention, that baseball is like basketball and that an underdog is equally likely to prevail in basketball as in baseball. Ironically it is Freezer who is making the "apples to oranges" argument.

Comment

• MickMick
              Zag for Life
              • Apr 2007

Florida bullied their way to a title two seasons ago. Will UNC?

It doesn't always happen. Phi Slamma Jamma (University of Houston) looked unstoppable. NC State stopped em.

It is simply too early to tell. Going on last year I don't think UConn is a top 10 team. If they are, then you must put San Diego up there with them (returning the same squad that beat them). Notre Dame was manhandled by WSU, yet is highly regarded for next year. The press is just too quick to gush over a handful of teams.

The teams I think will be very, very tough:

UNC, Louisville (the emergence of Clark), and Memphis (they are at "reload" status like UNC typically is).

The team that will surprise everyone:

UAB (Alabama Birmingham) will be next year's Davidson.

Zags have some good players. I just can't get past their last two games. Loss to Davidson. Loss to San Diego. We are, after all, talking about a single loss elimination tournament. I'm not complaining as I love the Zags. At this early stage, I just can't seem to drink the Kool Aid though. I'm going to have to wait and see the three sophmores. How much will Gray, Daye and Sacre improve?
              I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• freezer12
                Not Zag Material
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by B Wayne View Post
                In all due respect to Freezer, Sinto's made the first "apples to oranges" analogy when he argued that the comparison between Fresno State in baseball and GU (or any other team) in basketball is not valid. For as much "surprise" as we hear about Fresno, the media has short term memory about the "surprise" over the beleagured Oregon State sports program winning 06 and then again 07 in NCAA baseball. Not only was it a surprise because of the nature of OSU's sport program, but it was the first non warm weather team to win a NCAA baseball title in decades.

This factual history corroborates Sinto's point that basketball to baseball is "apples to oranges" rather than Freezers contention, that baseball is like basketball and that an underdog is equally likely to prevail in basketball as in baseball. Ironically it is Freezer who is making the "apples to oranges" argument.
                Not sure what you're talking about. I agree that you cannot compare hoops and baseball. That was my point.

Also, OSU's athletic achievement aren't only centered around basketball, as you seem to think. Football has finished 3rd in the Pac10 the last 2 years, despite being the 2nd (WSU) least attractive Pac10 destination. The softball team missed the playoffs for the first time in more than a decade due to a young team. They'll be back next year. They had a national champion in swimming. Gymnastics won the West Regional and has been consistently a top 10 team. Sure, the Beavs aren't UCLA or something, but not many programs are (actually nobody else has over 100 team championships). A Gonzaga fan should be one to talk. You finished last in the WCC Director's Cup this year. Sorry, but you hit my "button" with the OSU comment. I'm a Beaver fan.

Comment

• B Wayne
                  Kennel Club
                  • Nov 2007

Hey Freezer

Not a problem. I often pull for the Beavers.
                  They're one of my favorite teams. I even purchased a Beaver windbreaker when I was in Oregon last year. Maybe their basketball program will get back on track with the new coach. I'll be pulling for them.

We agree that basketball is a bit more predictable than baseball. In MLB, often a team that very few expected wins the WS, such as the White Sox a couple of years ago ( and many more examples). Not so in the NBA. You can usually pick about 4 teams in the NBA at the beginning of the year and be sure one of them will win the title. It's much the same in college, where one can pick 5 to 10 teams in basketball at the beginning of the year and often pick the NCAA champion. It's much more tricky and random with college baseball.

Go Beavs.

Comment

Working...
                  X