PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day concept for CBB

BobZag
06-25-2008, 05:07 PM
ESPN has been working on an "Opening Day" concept for college basketball. It is being met with mixed results. Schools out west face the biggest problem. ESPN wants to have 24 hours of games to start off the season, similar to Opening Day in MLB or the first day of the NFL season. The trouble is, teams out west would have to tipoff as late as 11pm or 1:30am, etc., to make the 24-hour hoops-a-thon possible. ESPN wants to try to bring more attention to the sport right from the get-go instead of the season kinda trickling into gear with every school kinda doing their own thing and casual fans not really able to get into it.

But for the late logistics reason, I doubt it will fly. Perhaps a scaled down version (morning to night on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU) but not the big 24-hour extravaganza.

The Zags could be involved in this if it flies. There was early word that LSU would come to The Kennel for an 11pm tipoff but that fell through. It was simply too late.

So, stay tuned. Something could happen but it's looking like more ideas are needed because who wants to tipoff at, say, 4am PST? Not me.

Your thoughts? Ideas?

CDC84
06-25-2008, 05:32 PM
I would still like to see a team like LSU come to K2 for a non-league game this season. Maybe not opening night, but at some point during the season.

It would be nice for college basketball to have a grand opening day, but for the Zags, I am perfectly happy with an opening game involving a Big Sky team. If the Zags weren't involved in a holiday tournament as tough as the Old Spice Classic is going to be, I might feel differently.

jbslicer
06-25-2008, 06:22 PM
BZ: What's wrong with a 4:30am start? You could be in Dave's Tavern by 6:45 for breakfast and a Bloody Mary.

75Zag
06-25-2008, 06:25 PM
If this post is going to deteriorate into a criticism of early morning drinking, I think it should be banned.

VinnyZag
06-25-2008, 06:43 PM
maybe if they got the tournaments in Alaska and Hawaii (the "offer not available in" club) involved, that might help. A 10 p.m. tipoff there would be 1 a.m. (or midnight?) here.

mnzag24
06-26-2008, 08:10 AM
If this post is going to deteriorate into a criticism of early morning drinking, I think it should be banned.

agreed. nothin better than watching a game early in the morning, drink of choice in hand. i.e. memphis