PDA

View Full Version : Get to know Andy Poling...

BroncoZAG615
06-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Our last freshman player breakdown on The Kennel Report (http://thekennelreport.blogspot.com/) is Andy Poling.

We are also close to securing an interview with Andy very soon.

Keep voting!

Nevtelen
06-25-2008, 03:08 PM
I know it's been said a lot around here, but TKR is absolutely fantastic. I really appreciate all the work you guys must put into it - esp the interviews and profiles.

TimZag
06-25-2008, 03:20 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the mystery illness a gluten allergy?

75Zag
06-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Rumor has it that Andy has celiac (sprue) disease, which is ugly and maybe life-threatening if undiagnosed, but absolutely treatable and more or less meaningless once you know that you can't eat gluten. I would rather eat steak than bread anyway.

Andy's strength has been increasing since his ugly junior year. He may not be the 1000 pound gorilla that GU needs for 2008-2009, but I am confident he will be a great player. This kid is not just another of the unfortunate string of 7'0' bench warmers that GU has dabbled in recently - he is the real deal.

Go Andy, and Go Zags!

BroncoZAG615
06-25-2008, 03:24 PM
I read an article with that in it but I read it as them saying that throughout all the testing the only thing they found out was that he was allergic to gluten. There's a chance I misread it but I would like to believe I didn't :)

Theo and I are also throwing up our Mock Drafts tonight...so this should get interesting!

Thanks for the reads, Go Zags..

Salsageek
06-25-2008, 04:08 PM
5 stars!!!

zag67
06-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Thanks from all of us. I really appreciate the time that has been spent putting the information into these reports.:) :)

azzagfan
06-25-2008, 08:25 PM
It seems to me, you guys need a logo (http://bp0.blogger.com/_c_Vj6v6u_jg/SGMZFwG0aoI/AAAAAAAAAEI/t65f6yZF8B4/s1600-h/thekennelreport.gif) as the reports have been great. Just a first look...not perfect.

dim4sum
06-25-2008, 08:32 PM
Has Poling been working out with any of the players? Has anyone here seen the workouts--if so, what are your impressions?

dnj116
06-25-2008, 09:49 PM
Great work!! I cannot wait to see how Polling progresses through his time at Gonzaga. His profile on gozags.com says he's 230 lbs. which is what I believe his weight was before his illness. Whether this is his actual weight or not we can't say but if he is indeed 230 he's well on his way.

Areyoukiddingme
06-26-2008, 07:58 AM
A logo where you cant see Gonzaga's logo?

theothegreat21
06-26-2008, 08:39 AM
Im loving the idea for a logo on the Kennel Report. If anyone else would like to submit some ideas, im sure Broncozag and I would love to thrown one of those up on the blog

Mr Vulture
06-26-2008, 10:14 AM
Let me start by saying the reviews y'all do on the incoming players are great. I had a pretty good idea about what Woodson and Poling would bring but I didn't really know a ton about Gibbs other than he was supposed to have a real good basketball I.Q.

I agree that Poling should redshirt, as I have said before, and that Woodson should allow Pargo to stay fresher throughout the season. Also, I like that he is a true PG that can play should Pargo get in foul trouble during the season. My question is how do most people see Gibbs fitting in this year. Personally, without seeing him play, I don't see why we wouldn't use a redshirt on him this year. We have plenty of guys who can play the Guard/Wing positions and it just seems like we would be wasting a year of his development. Then again, maybe some playing time would ease his adjustment to a larger role the next season. What do y'all think?

Finally, I think the logo idea is a good one. In fact, I like the layout of the first draft. If I had any computer skills I'd show you a couple of changes but maybe someone could try this with the current layout.

Take the TKR and move the "T" to the midleft, the "K" at the top, and "R" to the midright. Perhaps take the Bulldog logo and have it busting through the fence, although I kind of like it behind the fence as well. Just thinking a metaphorical reference to the Kennel Report busting out...

Just my 2 cents....

MedZag
06-26-2008, 12:08 PM
I read an article with that in it but I read it as them saying that throughout all the testing the only thing they found out was that he was allergic to gluten. There's a chance I misread it but I would like to believe I didn't :)

The medical term for gluten allergy is "celiac disease" (also known as "celiac sprue" and "gluten-sensitive enteropathy"... physicians can never agree on anything). It's just like any other type I hypersensitivity condition except it occurs in your intestine against gluten, a common protein of wheat and rye, instead of in your airways or skin like most other common allergies. The chronic inflammatory response in the person's small intestine causes a condition called villous atrophy where the lining of the person's intestine changes in response to the inflammation and cannot absorb nutrients as well as before. Hence the weight loss, fatigue, and diarrhea commonly seen as presenting symptoms in people with celiac disease.

TheReasonableZag
06-26-2008, 12:54 PM
Not to get tooo far off-topic, but I'm curious: do people with Andy's condition totally abstain from eating gluten? Can they have it small doses and be okay, or are they condemned to a life without any gluten at all?

MedZag
06-26-2008, 01:24 PM
Not to get tooo far off-topic, but I'm curious: do people with Andy's condition totally abstain from eating gluten? Can they have it small doses and be okay, or are they condemned to a life without any gluten at all?

The medical standard is complete avoidance of gluten. The level of gluten that is safe to consume widely varies among people with celiac disease, hence why a zero-tolerance policy is enforced. Available evidence suggests that although almost no individuals with celiac disease show signs or symptoms of relapse while ingesting as much as 10-20 mg of gluten per day, most react to ingestion of more than 100 mg per day. Since wheat and rye are such ubiquitous products in our culture's diet, its difficult to completely avoid it, and most patients can probably get away with "cheating" a little bit. But this is a lifelong illness... the immune system never forgets, so any person with a gluten allergy will react to gluten again whether its been 50 hours or 50 years since the last time they had it. Patients with gluten allergy are taught to track their weight continuously to make sure their current diet is working and they aren't losing nutrients.

gamagin
06-26-2008, 02:20 PM
and I was shocked to learn it is fairly common. He told me many people have an intolerance for wheat-based products and are not aware of it.

He showed me all kinds of labels on household staples that showed they contained gluten, too, so there is quite an awareness issue involved.

There is literally a whole, large, growing, industry built up around gluten-free products and the food selection shelves at many grocery outlets are pretty amazing. There seems to be a substitute for everything.

MedZag, is this a relatively now phenomena, or has it been there all along but mostly misunderstood or not diagnosed ? I'd never heard of it before my friend.

zaguarxj
06-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Huckleberry's Market has all kinds of gluten free products, including baked goods from Petit Chat bakery (local bakery that produces excellent gluten-free baked goods).

thespywhozaggedme
06-26-2008, 06:27 PM
Mr. Vulture,
It's Goodson, Demitri (Meech) Goodson. Just a heads up. ;)

Let me start by saying the reviews y'all do on the incoming players are great. I had a pretty good idea about what Woodson and Poling would bring but I didn't really know a ton about Gibbs other than he was supposed to have a real good basketball I.Q.

I agree that Poling should redshirt, as I have said before, and that Woodson should allow Pargo to stay fresher throughout the season. Also, I like that he is a true PG that can play should Pargo get in foul trouble during the season. My question is how do most people see Gibbs fitting in this year. Personally, without seeing him play, I don't see why we wouldn't use a redshirt on him this year. We have plenty of guys who can play the Guard/Wing positions and it just seems like we would be wasting a year of his development. Then again, maybe some playing time would ease his adjustment to a larger role the next season. What do y'all think?

Finally, I think the logo idea is a good one. In fact, I like the layout of the first draft. If I had any computer skills I'd show you a couple of changes but maybe someone could try this with the current layout.

Take the TKR and move the "T" to the midleft, the "K" at the top, and "R" to the midright. Perhaps take the Bulldog logo and have it busting through the fence, although I kind of like it behind the fence as well. Just thinking a metaphorical reference to the Kennel Report busting out...

Just my 2 cents....

Areyoukiddingme
06-26-2008, 06:58 PM
http://bluesparkspokane.com/kennel.jpg

MedZag
06-27-2008, 09:45 AM
MedZag, is this a relatively now phenomena, or has it been there all along but mostly misunderstood or not diagnosed ? I'd never heard of it before my friend.

I think its more the latter than the former. Type I hypersensitivities can also range from asymptomatic to very severe. Think of it like your typical allergies. The majority of the population has some mild allergy symptoms in the spring months with itchy eyes or runny nose when all the pollen and seed starts floating through the air. But then theres some people who are absolutely miserable in the spring months. And then there's some people who are absolutely miserable with ANY contact to grass at all, and have to plan where they live around it. And then there's some people who have dangerous and life threatening symptoms when contacting grass. The same is likely for gluten allergy. The diagnosis is made when people cross that threshold from asymptomatic to symptomatic, and that can happen for any variety of reasons.