PDA

View Full Version : We May Be Out of the Gaddy Sweepstakes

NEZAGFAN
06-25-2008, 01:58 AM
The highest-rated point guard on Arizona's radar in the class of 2009 is a player who Wildcat fans are plenty familiar with in Abdul Gaddy.

GOAZCATS.com
Abdul Gaddy says that Arizona is his top school.
The 6-foot-3, 170-pound Tacoma (Wash.) Bellarmine Prep standout committed to the UA last year and then decommitted early in the summer due to the uncertainty surrounding the coaching situation and the program in general.

Despite the turmoil and decommitment, Gaddy still says that Arizona is his top school but that he is taking his time with the recruitment process.

"I don't really have a favorite right now but I just say that Arizona is still my number one school and I'm getting to know the new coaching staff right now," he said. "They're number one but I'm just taking it slow right now."

The 14th ranked player in his class, Gaddy is a very hot commodity right now and is hearing from almost everyone in the country with a list of offers that he says he can't even count.

"A lot of people have been calling and it seems like everybody's been calling me," he said. "There's been a lot of offers; I can't even count how many right now."

Even with so much attention and so many new coaches and recruiters to remember, Gaddy has recognized some programs that have contacted him more frequently than others.

"Arizona, Wake (Forest), Marquette, Washington, Memphis, Texas, Cal and a lot of schools have been calling but I would say those are the ones who have been on me the most," he said.

The Wildcats have gotten some good news lately with the slated return of Chase Budinger and the recent commitment of center Greg Smith and the five-star prospect has taken note.

"The commitment and the coaches are all positives, everything sounds good and that just helps me a lot with my situation," he said. "I'm trying to look at it and get a good feel for the coaching staff and build relationships. I'm taking it slow and there are a lot of coaches trying to build relationship with me right now."

Most of that relationship building has taken place with new UA assistant Reggie Geary and the No. 2 point guard in the country said he is happy with how everything is progressing.

Icon SMI
Gaddy would like to decide around August.
"(Coach Geary) has been talking to me a lot and I think everything is going well," he said. "He showed me a lot of things and told me a lot. We're slowly building our relationship.

"We just talk about my situation and basketball. We talk about academics and stuff and how he can help me get to the NBA, his background and everything."

Geary will have some time to work with as Gaddy said he would like to make a decision around August but that he hasn't thought about any visits yet.

"I haven't set up any visits yet and I haven't even really been talking about it with my parents at this point," he said.

Playing at Bellarmine, Gaddy has obvious close ties with fellow five-star prospect Avery Bradley and it had previously been reported that the pair were a package deal. While that wasn't totally correct, the two still would like to play together at the next level.

"It's more kind of a do what's best for me thing at this point," Gaddy said. "If (Avery) decides to go to the same school, that's great. I'm going to do what's best for me and go to the best situation for me."

Another player with whom Gaddy has close ties is 6-foot-8, 200-pound forward Mike Moser, who also holds an Arizona offer.

"Mike goes to a lot of tournaments with me," Gaddy said. "I've been playing with him since we were freshmen. He is one of my really close friends and he likes Arizona a lot too. But same thing (as with Bradley), I'm going do the best thing for me and he's going to do the best thing for him."

Gaddy has confidence in Moser's ability to finish and highlighted a few things that stand out about the Portland Grant prospect.

"(Mike) plays real hard the whole game, he's a good rebounder and he's real long," he said. "I'm a pass-first point guard and I know if I give it up to him that he's going to finish. I know Mike's going to put the ball in the hole."

GOAZCATS.com will continue to stay in touch with Abdul Gaddy as he goes through his second recruiting process.

JAGzag
06-25-2008, 04:13 AM
Sounds about right. Although it is an AZ article, I would think Few and company have realistic visions about Gaddy becoming a Zag.

spudzag
06-25-2008, 06:41 AM
I didn't get the sense we were ever really on his list. Other than attending a camp when he was a Sophmore I haven't heard in any of his published statements that he did much more than include GU on his list. Maybe I missed something.

MickMick
06-25-2008, 06:46 AM
Meech! Meech! Meech!

BroncoZAG615
06-25-2008, 07:04 AM
Matt has two years
Steven has three years
Meech has four years

We are perfectly fine for now. Having Meech and Steven for three years together seems like a perfect fit. Throw in Bouldin for two more and it is going to be a beautiful future at the guard spot.

It would have been nice to get Gaddy but realistically we had a good a chance to get him as we did Alexis Ajinca and John Riek (remember when the boards had a glimmer of hope for these two :) )

Give me Anthony Marshall, I'm still heavily situated on that bandwagon.

MDABE80
06-25-2008, 09:23 AM
Anthony Marshall is about as good as it gets for the Zags.

We need continuity of our talent. Stability. My sense is that Anthony does both. The other one simply doesn't. If it's the different between a 3* or 5* kid, on this one (for our purposes) , 3* Anthony might be the better fit.

BobZag
06-25-2008, 09:34 AM
Grant Gibbs, too.

MickMick
06-25-2008, 09:49 AM
Grant Gibbs, too.

Yes....Grant too :)

BroncoZAG615
06-25-2008, 09:52 AM
Grant Gibbs, too.

And I call myself a Gonzaga fan :o

Hmm...Meech and Bouldin starting in two years backed up by Steven Gray, Grant Gibbs, and Anthony Marshall.

I think we will be seeing lots of three guard lineups.

spudzag
06-25-2008, 10:00 AM
Let's not for get Manny Arop.

BobZag
06-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Mangisto is a scoring machine. I'm eager to see how he does in Argentina this summer. It'll give everyone a better idea of what he can do.

spudzag
06-25-2008, 10:45 AM
It appears that Mangisto will be great. I'd be happy if he was the only guard we take in the '09 class and focus on our real need for bigs and a wing. I've listed in my 4 favorites in my signature block. Let's get a great responce from the camp this weekend!