PDA

View Full Version : Possible Zag Prospect in Vancouver?

NEZAGFAN
06-24-2008, 03:19 PM
I was browsing through Rivals and found an interesting prospect from Vancouver. Steven Bjornstad is a 6'10 and growing center from Columbia River high school. While he isn't listing interest from the Zags he appears to be a guy we could get. He recently had an update on Rivals, here's the link: http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=79288

ZagNative
06-24-2008, 03:44 PM
Yeah, I was intrigued by reports of that guy a while back. There's more stuff about him, with pics, and links to stories about him in The Columbian here (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=222044#post222044).

tyra
06-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Pretty much the graduates of Columbia River High School are the best athletes around. :D

spudzag
06-24-2008, 06:44 PM
I wish he weight in at 225 or so. :(

applezag
06-24-2008, 06:50 PM
I've seen this guy play many times and have long considered where he fits in the scheme of college ball. He is tall and not a stiff, but I don't think he's a guy GU should go after unless there just aren't other options. Part of the problem is he plays in a system that rarely utilizes him in the low post. He spend much of the time in the high post and top of the key area as a relay man in their offense. He'll get his points on cuts to the hoop, a few post ups, and offensive rebounds. I've hardly ever seen him take a shot, other than a free throw, from farther than 8 ft. He shoots an insanely high percentage from the floor. Defensively he's solid and has pretty good timing.

The thing is, though, he is not skilled enough to overcome his lack of strength inside when people get physical with him. I've seen games where he really gets taken out of things by 6'5" meatheads. I think he's a decent Big Sky type of kid. Another Columbia River product, Zach Moritz, is on the Boise St. roster and I see them as very similar players. But it's just hard to really know because they play such a rigid system that does not utilize their advantages. If you compare Bjornstad to Andy Poling, it's not even close skill-wise. I would just say if we need a long body, we could do worse, but I have to think we could do better too.

As I always say when evaluating talent, though, I didn't think Adam Morrison would amount to much either. So what do I know?

tyra
06-24-2008, 10:06 PM
I guess Columbia River has come a ways since 1965-66 when it advanced to state on the back of its really tall and talented center -- Danny Johnson -- who was all of 6'3"!