PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Results Today

BobZag
03-08-2007, 03:21 PM
Miami knocks off the hottest ACC team Maryland in Round One of the ACC Tourney.

Clemson loses and likely will miss the NCAA's, after starting out unbeaten longer than any team in the nation, and playing good.

Oregon impressively defeats Arizona (sorry, stardust).

I doubt Cal will beat UCLA but Cal is ahead well into the 2nd-half...

What does all this mean?

Maryland and Oregon and Arizona could all be 1st-round opponants for the Zags, depending if Gonzaga receives a 9 or 10 or 11 or 12 seed.

stevet75
03-08-2007, 03:40 PM
With our RPI, I don't see how we can hope to get better than an 11 seed.

Bulldog
03-08-2007, 03:50 PM
RPI means nothing if they don't compare the schedule the Zag's played compared to rest of the NCAA. We did what they wanted teams to do so according to that we should be at least an 8 seed, but it won't happen because the selection committee sucks.

jaszag
03-08-2007, 03:51 PM
My first thought BZ was, "No way." Then...

Well, current RPI rankings have Maryland at 12, Arizona at 13 and Oregon at 28, which puts them at 3, 4 and 7 seeds, respectfully. They'll each slip a bit, but likely not too much, being as the games have a 1.0 rating (neutral court) and carry the upward pressure of their respective in-conference games. Now, the RPI "is just a tool," but methinks the Committee won't stray too far from it for the higher seeds (Gonzaga at an RPI of 60 will get higher than a 15 seed). This suggests Maryland will be a 4/5, Arizona a 5/6 and Oregon a 7/8/9. Gonzaga, at a 10/11/12 which, as BZ opines, pencils out.

In the end per jaszag, Maryland will be seeded to high to be a Zag 1st-round opponent, Oregon too low, and they won't pit two upper tier west-coast teams in the first round, leaving Arizona off our list as well.

LongIslandZagFan
03-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Tied at 61 and going into OT.

ZagSlug
03-08-2007, 04:12 PM
So annoyed with Cal, Braun will do just enough to get another year and fail miserably.

BobZag
03-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Wow. The Bruins are on a downward trend. Despite what the TV pundits say, 1 seeds don't lose two in a row to the end the season.

LongIslandZagFan
03-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Can't see how they could possibly get a 1 now.

jaszag
03-08-2007, 04:24 PM
Don't tell me free throws don't win games. Cal hit for 80% (20-25), the Bruins shot 51.7% (15-29).

Afflalo only had 3 points on 1-for-7 shooting and 1-for-4 from the FT line.

Concur. #1 seed for the Westwood boys is gone.

Gonzdb8
03-08-2007, 04:27 PM
agreed. a one seed should be out of reach now, but it won't be. they'll get it.

Go Bears. great win by my favorite of the pac-10 schools.

Akzag
03-08-2007, 04:51 PM
At least with 'Zona and the Bruins, they are locks. Along with Butler and Maryland.

Air Force might very well take up another at large after losing to Wyoming.

RebornZag
03-08-2007, 04:52 PM
I think UCLA losing, will provide UW enough hope to beat WSU tonight. WSU has also been on the downslide, imo. Wouldn't that be wierd if UW wins the conference tournament and makes it to the Big Dance again...I doubt it though, even if they beat WSU. If they do, I say they'll lose to Standford- if Stanford wins. If USC wins, I think the Huskies can beat USC. That then put's them in the finals with Oregon/Cal winner....

jonesed
03-08-2007, 05:03 PM
How bout that air-tight WVU defense? Snatching OT from the jaws of victory.

siliconzag
03-08-2007, 05:19 PM
Actually the PAC 10 tournament has a topsy turvy history. Its almost as if they don't care about winning the tournament, like they consider it an allstar game or something. This is not a new trend. Stanford has done the same when they won the conference title, and Arizona too. Very odd goings on. Some of the same stuff goes on in the ACC. I think UCLA is going to be a might tough team to beat when the tournament starts. It is almost like they are playing possum. Cal had a couple of good games this year. One at Maples where they blew the Cardinal away, and another against Santa Clara where they buried the Broncos.

I believe that this year's champion might be a surprise. Memphis is looking pretty good right now. And likewise with Georgetown. Kansas has had fewer lapses recently, but they are inconsistent too. Looks more wide open this year than most to me.

Sili

BobZag
03-08-2007, 05:22 PM
Drops another seed or two.

RebornZag
03-08-2007, 05:37 PM
Things are looking better and better for Gonzaga I think. I've said it before. I don't think there is a dominant team in College Basketball. And I think we will see records this year for the earliest #1 teams lose. I think so far I think it's in the round of 8. #2's have had a tendency to get beat earlier, and they will once again. Who knows? Maybe this year two of the final four teams will be mid-majors!!! Gonzaga and Creighton. That would be kool.:D

Gonzaga may now finally move up to the #11 spot. I think that would be good for us. 11 or 10??? Heck who knows?? We've done well at that 10 spot.

TM27
03-08-2007, 06:30 PM
With our RPI, I don't see how we can hope to get better than an 11 seed.

We need to remember that the RPI is not the end all....the committee uses many variables to determine seed. Some examples are: how hot the team is.....and in GU's case 'did they do all they could'? The committee has said before and proves year in year out, that it is very important that teams not duck their competition....every year there are teams that are rewarded, and converseley, teams that are penalized for their OOC schedule. GU fits the classic example of a team that did absolutely everything they could in their OOC schedule - I will be shocked if the committee does not reward GU for this. As I mentioned at the start of the WCC tourney, our biggest fans are the committee members and now that we have locked up the auto bid - they can hit us with a 9 or 10 seed and then explain to EVERYONE - GU deserves it because they did what we told them to do....we are the perfect example for the committee to use. However, reward can come in two forms: lower seed or location - I fully expect GU to be compensated through one of these.

Now that I have spoken all of this logic ;) GU will probably get a 15 seed :)

TM27
03-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Things are looking better and better for Gonzaga I think. I've said it before. I don't think there is a dominant team in College Basketball. And I think we will see records this year for the earliest #1 teams lose. I think so far I think it's in the round of 8. #2's have had a tendency to get beat earlier, and they will once again. Who knows?

LOL.....What? I think I know where you are headed with this.....i think ;)

Ziggy
03-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Gee, when was the last time that Coach K lost 10 games in a season. I really wish we could have that game back!

RenoZag
03-08-2007, 07:57 PM
I was at LAX waiting for a plane and was able to watch the UCLA fans in the bar cry in their beers as the Bears beat the Bruins. . .there were two guys in the cormer rooting on Cal; the three of us made a lot more noise than the smug Yoo Clans. . .

The thing about sports ( strictly from a win / loss POV, not injuries, off the court problems, etc ) is that is socially acceptable to take delight in the misfortune of others.

I was happy to see UCLA choke away a #1 seed.
:D :D :D

And yes, I'm glad Stanf--k lost too.

Jabber
03-08-2007, 08:50 PM
I heard a long story today on PBS radio about tanking in conference tournaments. Not intentionally by the players, but by the coaches. No way to prove anything, but some teams that are locks may not be as intensely coached, not as focused. UCLA for example, they are assured a high seed. Why kill themselves, risk injury etc. The "expert" who studied this stuff suggested having the dance include 256 teams - virtually everybody. Adds 2 more games but they really mean something. What is the big deal that UCLA or Maryland lost today. Does it really matter in the end? Only if a cinderella wins the conference championship as bounces a bubble team. Food for thought.

sittingon50
03-09-2007, 07:58 AM
Coming into the season only 2 programs had not experienced double digits in losses over the last 8 years; Duke & GU. Both have gone by the wayside.