• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Interesting Results Today

Miami knocks off the hottest ACC team Maryland in Round One of the ACC Tourney.

Clemson loses and likely will miss the NCAA's, after starting out unbeaten longer than any team in the nation, and playing good.

Oregon impressively defeats Arizona (sorry, stardust).

I doubt Cal will beat UCLA but Cal is ahead well into the 2nd-half...

What does all this mean?

Maryland and Oregon and Arizona could all be 1st-round opponants for the Zags, depending if Gonzaga receives a 9 or 10 or 11 or 12 seed.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • stevet75
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Feb 2007

With our RPI, I don't see how we can hope to get better than an 11 seed.
    “People have an uncanny ability to make me think I am smarter than I really am. Human Beings bring me back to reality.” S.T.

Comment

• Bulldog
      Bleeds GU Blue
      • Feb 2007

RPI means nothing if they don't compare the schedule the Zag's played compared to rest of the NCAA. We did what they wanted teams to do so according to that we should be at least an 8 seed, but it won't happen because the selection committee sucks.
      "The Tipping Point - How little things can make a big difference" Malcom Gladwell

When you're playing for the national championship, It's not a matter of life and death, it's more important than that.

Comment

• jaszag
        Bulldog Fan
        • Feb 2007

Interesting Indeed

My first thought BZ was, "No way." Then...

Well, current RPI rankings have Maryland at 12, Arizona at 13 and Oregon at 28, which puts them at 3, 4 and 7 seeds, respectfully. They'll each slip a bit, but likely not too much, being as the games have a 1.0 rating (neutral court) and carry the upward pressure of their respective in-conference games. Now, the RPI "is just a tool," but methinks the Committee won't stray too far from it for the higher seeds (Gonzaga at an RPI of 60 will get higher than a 15 seed). This suggests Maryland will be a 4/5, Arizona a 5/6 and Oregon a 7/8/9. Gonzaga, at a 10/11/12 which, as BZ opines, pencils out.

In the end per jaszag, Maryland will be seeded to high to be a Zag 1st-round opponent, Oregon too low, and they won't pit two upper tier west-coast teams in the first round, leaving Arizona off our list as well.
        Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
        solo deo gloria

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
          • Feb 2007

Ucla-cal

Tied at 61 and going into OT.
          "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• ZagSlug
            Bleeds GU Blue
            • Feb 2007

So annoyed with Cal, Braun will do just enough to get another year and fail miserably.
            sigpic
            I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• BobZag
              Dark Lord of the Zag
              • Jan 2007

UCLA blows a 1 seed

Wow. The Bruins are on a downward trend. Despite what the TV pundits say, 1 seeds don't lose two in a row to the end the season.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                • Feb 2007

Amen to that BZ

Can't see how they could possibly get a 1 now.
                "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• jaszag
                  Bulldog Fan
                  • Feb 2007

UCLA 52% From the Charity Stripe

Don't tell me free throws don't win games. Cal hit for 80% (20-25), the Bruins shot 51.7% (15-29).

Afflalo only had 3 points on 1-for-7 shooting and 1-for-4 from the FT line.

Concur. #1 seed for the Westwood boys is gone.
                  Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
                  solo deo gloria

Comment

• Gonzdb8
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Feb 2007

agreed. a one seed should be out of reach now, but it won't be. they'll get it.

Go Bears. great win by my favorite of the pac-10 schools.

Comment

• Akzag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Down goes Air Force ...

At least with 'Zona and the Bruins, they are locks. Along with Butler and Maryland.

Air Force might very well take up another at large after losing to Wyoming.
                      So many brackets, so little time.

Comment

Interesting Results Today

I think UCLA losing, will provide UW enough hope to beat WSU tonight. WSU has also been on the downslide, imo. Wouldn't that be wierd if UW wins the conference tournament and makes it to the Big Dance again...I doubt it though, even if they beat WSU. If they do, I say they'll lose to Standford- if Stanford wins. If USC wins, I think the Huskies can beat USC. That then put's them in the finals with Oregon/Cal winner....

Comment

• jonesed
                          • Feb 2007

Defense!

How bout that air-tight WVU defense? Snatching OT from the jaws of victory.

Comment

• siliconzag
                            Bleeds GU Blue
                            • Feb 2007

Fascinating

Actually the PAC 10 tournament has a topsy turvy history. Its almost as if they don't care about winning the tournament, like they consider it an allstar game or something. This is not a new trend. Stanford has done the same when they won the conference title, and Arizona too. Very odd goings on. Some of the same stuff goes on in the ACC. I think UCLA is going to be a might tough team to beat when the tournament starts. It is almost like they are playing possum. Cal had a couple of good games this year. One at Maples where they blew the Cardinal away, and another against Santa Clara where they buried the Broncos.

I believe that this year's champion might be a surprise. Memphis is looking pretty good right now. And likewise with Georgetown. Kansas has had fewer lapses recently, but they are inconsistent too. Looks more wide open this year than most to me.

Sili

Comment

• BobZag
                              Dark Lord of the Zag
                              • Jan 2007

Duke bites the dust

Drops another seed or two.

Comment

Working...
                              X