PDA

View Full Version : What is Gonzaga's Starting Lineup Going to Look Like?

MississppiZag
06-22-2008, 06:21 AM
My guess is...

Pargo
Gray
Bouldin
Daye
Heytvelt

I am hoping for either...
Pargo
Gray
Downs
Daye
Heytvelt

or

Pargo
Gray
Daye
Heytvelt
Sacre

If Sacre improves and can average about 7 pts and anywhere from 6-8 rebounds in 20-25 minutes, then he deserves a starting spot.
If Downs becomes the player who can play D, shoot, and drive, then he can be the 5th starter. I would like to see the lineup with downs, for scoring, with Bouldin coming off the bench.

Who knows it could be any five players. What does the forum see our lineup being?:)

zagfan24
06-22-2008, 07:04 AM
I'd love to see us go with that big line-up occasionally - but it leaves us with very little frontcourt depth if we start Daye, Hetyvelt, and Sacre.

My guess is Pargo, Gray, Bouldin, Daye, and Heytvelt. Downs will play almost as much as Gray or Bouldin if his attitude about coming off the bench is positive. Bouldin/Gray will slide down to PG if neither of the freshman are ready.

Meech, Gibbs, Brown, and Foster will all get some minutes. Is Poling going to redshirt? If not, it'll be an interesting battle between him and big Will.

Russell Bevan
06-22-2008, 08:15 AM
When Matt Bouldin brings his A game intenisty he can dominate. This should be a major year for Matt. Last year he was either on fire or not there at all. I would hope that with a year to reflect he can up his intensity level and be a consistent scoring threat. If so watch out.

Pargo
Bouldin
Gray
Daye
Josh

First off the bench:
Downs or Sacre

Russell

MontanaZag
06-22-2008, 08:20 AM
couldn't agree more, and I dont think matt gets enough credit for his vision and feel for the game, he is a great "cog", pardon the pun, for our offense.

GoZAGsMang
06-22-2008, 08:32 AM
I almost think we can revert to the "olden days" where... you adjust the starting lineup to match the team you are playing.

I think it throws the other team off if you mix up the starting lineup.

We have plenty of interchangeable pieces.

GoZAGsMang

spudzag
06-22-2008, 08:42 AM
Pargo
Bouldin
Daye
Heytvelt
Sacre

I'd go with the more traditional 4-5 size this line up provides and slide Daye to the 3. Few loves Gray so it's hard to beleive he won't be on the floor, but from my arm chair, I'd strat with the more traditional line up.

MississppiZag
06-22-2008, 09:01 AM
I like and prefer Gray over Bouldin. Gray plays good D and is one of the better shooters in the country. Bouldin is a good contributor and would be a solid 6th man. I think out of all the players, he would be the most comfortable coming off the bench.

dnj116
06-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Based off of sacre's hard work last year and that he was awarded a starting position for games here's my take:

Sacre
Heytvelt
Pargo
Downs
Daye

MDABE80
06-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Josh, Daye, Sacre, Pargo, Gray for openers. Matt, Micah, Will, Ira, Meech.

It gives speed, power, controls the boards, and allows for great shooters. Matt was so inconsistent last year. Great kid and great player. If he can solve his shooting and ball handling woes, move him back in. He'
ll get his minutes no matter though. I wonder what Matt's been doing this Summer. I hope he sleeps with the ball and makes it his friend. He needs to.

Doesn't really matter who starts though.
Few subs players liberally to fit the situation. I'd like to see a core of 8 kids...9 at the most. Turn em loose and see what happens:)

BroncoZAG615
06-22-2008, 10:59 AM
There's no way Few does not start Matt. It will be Pargo, Bouldin, Gray, Daye, Josh but I would expect to see Sacre in there some too and move Gray out of the starting lineup.

But we've seen with Few that he is very loyal to his starters. Matt will start, no doubt.

VinnyZag
06-22-2008, 01:17 PM
I doubt Few moves Bouldin to the bench; the other four are locks, assuming everybody's healthy: Pargo, Gray, Daye, Heytvelt. Sacre and Downs will play a lot, but remember ... the only reason Sacre started last year was because Heytvelt was hurt and Kuso inexplicably didn't like starting. Meech, Gibbs, Ira round out rotation.

zagfan24
06-22-2008, 01:52 PM
I almost think we can revert to the "olden days" where... you adjust the starting lineup to match the team you are playing.

I think it throws the other team off if you mix up the starting lineup.

We have plenty of interchangeable pieces.

GoZAGsMang

Few doesn't seem to be a big fan of this strategy. He mixes up the starting lineup occasionally to light a fire under someone's ass or due to injury/illness, but I have seen occasions last year (Memphis, Davidson) where I thought Pendo was too undersized, or thought LG would have been a good addition. I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem to be his thing.

azzagfan
06-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Unless someone impresses Few tremendously. There is no doubt that the 3 perimeter players are Pargo, Bouldin and Gray. Daye is a natural fit at the 4 as he and Pendo subbed for each other 70% of the time last year. I think Josh is a shoe in at the 5 if he can play as he did at the conclusion of last year.

I do love our bench of Downs, Sacre, Gibbs (still waiting to see what he can bring as a Freshman after missing most of his senior year...but I think he will be a great Zag) and Meech. I never really saw that Ira found his role on last year's team, but I'm hopeful he will fit better this season. As for Will and Poling, to be honest, they both could use a redshirt year IMO.

MississppiZag
06-22-2008, 04:00 PM
What are the chances that Sacre improves in all the facets of the game, needed, to earn a starting spot? I hope he does earn it, because i think we would be really good on both ends, with Daye as 6'10''. Heytvelt as 6'11'', and Sacre as 7'0''. We would be huge, but is it possible for him to improve his game and start for us next year. If not i hope Downs earns a spot in place of Bouldin. I think Bouldin is more mentally prepared to be our 6th man and Downs seemed better when he was starting. I'm hoping for Pargo, Gray, Daye, Heytvelt, and Sacre(or Downs instead of Sacre), but what ever Few picks, i'm sure will be the best for the team.

Here's hoping that either Downs or Sacre earns a starting spot.:)

GoZAGsMang
06-22-2008, 04:48 PM
The reason Few hasnt done "tailored" the starting lineup in the recent past....

He has never had this much talent and he has been loyal to seniors(I call it the Mallon rule)

You arent going to not start Pendo when he is laying it on the line every play.
(the double negative was on purpose, but you know what I mean)

Now he has the luxury of going big, going athletic, going defense, going run and gun etc. etc. etc.

I think you will see more variety this year even if you start Bouldin, Pargo, and Heytfelt every game.

If I was Few, which everyone is lucky I am not- I would start a different lineup each time I played a team in conference. For example if Daye lights up
Portland in the first game they will focus on shutting him down- so you start Grey in the 2nd game. Then after Grey picks on the mismatch you can switch it up again.

GoZAGsMang

CelticZag
06-22-2008, 05:52 PM
Pargo, Gray, Bouldin, Daye, Heytvelt

Almost a positive on this one....

Against bigger teams:
Pargo, Bouldin, Downs, Daye, Heytvelt

jim77
06-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Tough call...theres a ton of talent to choose from. I do think Few will vary the lineup to suit what we face.

My starters are: Pargo,Heytvelt,Daye,Sacre,Gray. If "BIG ROB" isn't ready for prime time quite yet....I'll slide Daye to the 4 and insert Downs/Bouldin. If the opposing team has puny guards I'll use Bouldin to post up. For me Micah is the "wildcard" guy. The fella can shoot the 3 or play nice "d"...and he's great to have against "long" type players. Its really tough not to start Bouldin/Downs but, these 2 will get plenty of minutes. I think due to the coaches vast selection of talent, Pargo's job will be that much more impotant. Jeremy must keep that cohesiveness steady regardless who's in the lineup.....the kid has a HUGE challenge in front of him but, I think he'll do just fine. Someone needs to send "STOCKTON" videos over for Jeremy to inhale.

NEZAGFAN
06-22-2008, 06:10 PM
While I find it unlikely for Matty B. to be out of the starting rotation I could see it happening. Steven just came on too well at the end of the year not to start him and if you have forgotten Micah was very productive when he was healthy in the later stages of the 2007 season. I have a hunch that the starting lineup will consist of:

C-Josh Heytvelt (He appears to be full strength and back to his old self)
PF-Austin Daye (Makes up for normal PF mass with his length and IQ)
SF-Micah Downs (Probably our best defender along with Steven and finally appears to be at full strength again)
SG-Steven Gray (Again, came on very strong and is poised for breakout year)
PG-Jeremy Pargo (Enough said)

Bench
G/F-Matt Bouldin
C-Rob Sacre
PG-Meech Goodson..In that order

omahazag
06-22-2008, 06:24 PM
While I find it unlikely for Matty B. to be out of the starting rotation I could see it happening. Steven just came on too well at the end of the year not to start him and if you have forgotten Micah was very productive when he was healthy in the later stages of the 2007 season. I have a hunch that the starting lineup will consist of:

C-Josh Heytvelt (He appears to be full strength and back to his old self)
PF-Austin Daye (Makes up for normal PF mass with his length and IQ)
SF-Micah Downs (Probably our best defender along with Steven and finally appears to be at full strength again)
SG-Steven Gray (Again, came on very strong and is poised for breakout year)
PG-Jeremy Pargo (Enough said)

Bench
G/F-Matt Bouldin
C-Rob Sacre
PG-Meech Goodson..In that order

That's the starting lineup i'd like to see, NE. Whether or not Matty B. is actually the odd man out will be interesting. I think Few has a thing for Matty B. and will likely start him over Steven or Micah.

btzag
06-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Really not a fan of any lineup that has Pargo/Gray/Bouldin on the court at once. My opinion is that you should play individuals in positions where they can maximize their talent and strengths, and not just stick the five best players on the court at once.

For example Bouldin is a strong guard who can post up many a SG and also step out and hit a shot. He can physically dominate at the 2 yet does not need to be ultra-quick at the 1 or long and a athletic freak at the 3.

Also I know everyone falls in love with Daye at the 3 because he would create huge matchup problems but he already does that at the 4 and it fits him much better.

Therefore I would like to see strict control on the positions and try to build the rotation the right way this year and not try and mix and match like last year.

Pargo - backed up by Gray
Gray - Bouldin
Downs - Ira
Daye - Heytvelt
Heytvelt - Sacre

Buckwheat
06-22-2008, 08:39 PM
I agree that those that believe that Matt will start but should come off the bench. The most potent group both offensively and defensively, regardless of tempo would be:

Pargo
Gray
Downs
Daye
Josh

Everyone can run the floor
Four 3-point threats with two legit sharp shooters
No defensive weak links
Everyone can board
Everyone can throw down
Jeremy can break down the D any time he wants

Just knowing Few, of course Matt will be in ahead of Downs. But this is definitely my dream line-up.

MickMick
06-22-2008, 08:56 PM
I believe Matt is up to the challenge of starting. He is also going to be the favorite "whipping boy" whenever the Zags lose.

One day we are going to look back and talk about Matt being such a tough minded competitor. He never really had a choice.

GonzagaLove
06-22-2008, 09:15 PM
People from Nebraska must be really smart! I think you guys have the dream team right on:

Josh
Daye
Downs
Gray
Pargo

:)

ZagMania
06-23-2008, 04:42 AM
To those who have Daye, Josh, and Sacre all starting I want to who you have coming in to play in the frontcourt if there is foul trouble? With our lack of depth at the 4 and 5 it doesn't make sense playing Daye at the 3 or we'll end up seeing Foster on the court way more than we would want.

My starting lineup
Pargo
Gray
Micah
Daye
Josh

What Few will do:
Pargo
Matt
Gray
Daye
Josh

I agree that with people that think MattB should get most of his time at the 2 with Micah on the court so a smaller guard is forced on Matt where he can have a field day in the post.

NEZAGFAN
06-23-2008, 04:46 AM
People from Nebraska must be really smart! I think you guys have the dream team right on:

Josh
Daye
Downs
Gray
Pargo

:)

Haha well I certainly hope we are because I agree that it is by far our most potent lineup. :D

rich
06-23-2008, 05:16 AM
Downs presents more of a mismatch. The 6'8" Senior and McDonalds All-American should have a starting position. In my opinion, the question lies at the two: Bouldin or Gray. Either works for me.

To summarize in list format:

Heytvelt
Daye
Downs
Bouldin / Gray
Pargo

ZagNut08
06-23-2008, 05:57 AM
I just feel that one of our great stengths is our versatility and size. If we play pargo/bouldin/steven all at once, we lose that, and imo, are a more vulnerable team.

I don't know if I have seen enough of steven to make a statement that he is better than bouldin, but I don't think bouldin deserves to start simply because he did this past year.

Few has to bring one of either matt or steven off the bench.

I want a starting lineup of:
pargo
steven/matt
downs
daye
josh

long, athletic, versatile, and can stetch the defense and get to the rim

if you add bouldin instead of downs (because I don't think few will bring daye off the bench this year) you lose out on the teams versatility and ability to exploit other teams weaknesses. You also put matt in a position to struggle

BroncoZAG615
06-23-2008, 06:29 AM
I guess this thread kind of confuses me.

Is it, what do we think the GU lineup SHOULD be or what do we think the starting lineup WILL be?

I guess from the title of the thread it seemed like objectivity was the name of the game here. I know Bouldin has had his struggles and Gray is deadly from outside but I am in ZN08's corner here and do not think that Gray has done enough to outshine Matt.

We forget so easily that Matt had so many outstanding games, especially in some big games. UConn, VA Tech, WKU, Tennessee, etc were solid games for Matt. I believe he even led the GUnits for last season, IIRC. Yeah, he struggled in some games but it was just because he was trying to do things that we're not in his skill set. I think some film watching and summer in Spokane will be huge for Matt.

I posted what I thought the lineup WILL be but now I guess I will post what I think it should be. Hopefully its Pargo, Bouldin, Downs, Daye, Josh. I love that lineup. Early subs of Gray and Rob would be great.

I just don't think their is any realistic way Matt is not a starter barring some huge slump/injury/etc.

cjm720
06-23-2008, 06:44 AM
I'd be suprised if it wasn't"
Pargo
Gray
Bouldin
Daye
Heytvelt

That said, last year I had no idea what Few would do with his line-up and rotation. Daye seems like an obvious new starter, but his position and foul troubles need to be worked on or else he won't finish a game. Heytvelt needs to be healthy. Bottom line is that we have the depth to play multiple rotations, I just hope our starting line up get settled early in the season.

LongIslandZagFan
06-23-2008, 07:16 AM
Pargo
Bouldin
Daye
Heytvelt
Sacre

First 2 off the bench
Gray
Downs

Gray coming off the bench should scare most people next year as I feel he will be a very serious scoring threat. If Big Sugar can make that Frosh-Soph jump and contribute, Josh will be better able to play the 4 where I think he will be far more comfortable.

jim77
06-23-2008, 11:10 AM
I just wanted to add something to my post....I had Rob in my lineup because I feel Josh will have a HUGE target on his back...every team will go after him because we have no proven "big" after him. I also think letting Josh play the 4 would be much better for offensive purposes. Many have said Rob is the key guy for good reason cause our achillies heel is our frontcourt. If you go back to the Davidson game we just couldn't snag a rebound to save our butts. (injuries did play a huge role) I just feel better about having 2 "BIGS" to secure the boards...with one setting up camp there.(ROB) It does help with Austin in there as he does a nice job helping out but, we simply need more muscle against the bigger teams. (UCONN type) Rob and Matt's size saved that game last year.

zagster318
06-23-2008, 11:26 AM
The problem with playing Sacre and Heytvelt together is that we have no depth behind them. Suppose one of them gets in foul trouble. Who do you bring into the game? Can Will give the Zags 10-12 quality minutes a game?

jim77
06-23-2008, 11:50 AM
The problem with playing Sacre and Heytvelt together is that we have no depth behind them. Suppose one of them gets in foul trouble. Who do you bring into the game? Can Will give the Zags 10-12 quality minutes a game?

I'm saying the other teams will go after Josh right away. We need to protect him at all costs. I'd rather loose Rob with fouls than Josh. I think Will can come in and give us some quality minute....seems like somebody posted up that Will was looking great in practice. We can also use Daye in a pinch to help out....and Micah also helps out well. I think playing BOTH will divide the fouls as well as improve the boards. Imo

I also hope Josh does not bulk up....I think a bunch of extra weight hurts his game. It should also help his wheels. We have Rob for the wrestling stuff.

zagster318
06-23-2008, 11:58 AM
I think Will can come in and give us some quality minute....seems like somebody posted up that Will was looking great in practice.

I hope you're right. Josh should be playing the 4. Having Sacre and Foster rotate at the 5 would allow Josh to do just that.

SteelCityZag
06-23-2008, 12:03 PM
I'd be suprised if it wasn't"
Pargo
Gray
Bouldin
Daye
Heytvelt

That said, last year I had no idea what Few would do with his line-up and rotation. Daye seems like an obvious new starter, but his position and foul troubles need to be worked on or else he won't finish a game. Heytvelt needs to be healthy. Bottom line is that we have the depth to play multiple rotations, I just hope our starting line up get settled early in the season.

CJM's got it right. I would be very suprised if this is not who starts most games.

However, I don't like this lineup much because it places two guys out of position--Boulding and Daye(a bit). While both can play these positions, it seems that Matt's great advantage is as a big guard, not a small three. Same goes for Austin: as a slasher and self creating wing, he can be special. As a high post 4, he might get muscled around a bit.

Now if Rob spells Josh at the 5, Josh spells Austin at the 4, Austin gets serious minutes at the 3, and Matt and Steven split their time at the 2, I think all is well again.

Mr Vulture
06-23-2008, 12:36 PM
I guess I just don't understand two things about this team. The first thing I don't understand is why so many people are down on Bouldin. The second thing is why people like Downs so much. From what I have seen, Bouldin brings alot of intangibles that others don't. His court vision, understanding, and outside/post up abilities are unmatched by any other guard/wing on this roster. Although there is little doubt that Downs has all the ability in the world, I question why he should be starting. From what I have seen is that he floats around the perimeter on offense, has a tendency to make lazy passes/turnovers, and often times seems disinterested in the game. Not to say that I don't like him, I just don't see what makes him so much better than Matt.

With that said, I think and hope the lineup will be as follows:

Heytvelt, Daye, Bouldin, Gray, and Pargo

I would bring in Woodson to backup Pargo, Downs/Sacre would be first off of the bench, and I would work in Brown/Foster on a need basis depending on the game. I really don't see why we would use Gibbs or Poling this year, barring injury, as we easily have 4 guys that can play the guard spot, 4 guys that can play the wing, and 4 guys that can play inside.

To me, the college game is different in that you don't need to have the perfect fits to each position 1-5...what you need to do is have the ability to adjust during games to matchup or create mismatches for the other team. To that I say we have a great roster. Regardless of who starts, if they all work together this should be the most talented and hopefully the best team we have had....

Mr Vulture
06-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Just wanted to explain what I meant as far as players with the ability to play positions...they way I posted it sounded like I was talking about 12 different players....here is what I meant in relation to not using Gibbs/Poling.

Players who can play guard (1 or 2 spot): Bouldin, Pargo, Gray, Woodson
Players who can play the wing (3 spot): Boulding, Downs, Daye, Brown
Players who can play inside (4 or 5 spot): Heytvelt, Sacre, Daye, Foster

I would just hate to see those two guys lose their redshirt unless they were going to be able to see significant time this year. I don't know how good they are as I haven't seen them in person but it just seems like a wasted year to only use them a handful of times if that is the case. Then again, if they have ability like Gray/Bouldin/Daye had as freshman I can see using them.

MississppiZag
06-23-2008, 01:47 PM
People, you are not understanding the idea of Sacre starting. We start the game with two bigs, and when we get one of them into foul trouble, we THEN go small.

Say our lineup(what i'm hoping for) is:

Pargo
Gray
Daye
Heytvelt
Sacre(if he is proven over the summer, if not back to the small team)

If Sacre or Heytvelt gets into foul trouble, then one plays the 5 spot, Daye moves to the 4, then Bouldin or Downs moves to the 3. It's that easy. We start big, and worry about foul trouble when the time comes.

cjm720
06-23-2008, 02:48 PM
People, you are not understanding the idea of Sacre starting. We start the game with two bigs, and when we get one of them into foul trouble, we THEN go small.

Say our lineup(what i'm hoping for) is:

Pargo
Gray
Daye
Heytvelt
Sacre(if he is proven over the summer, if not back to the small team)

If Sacre or Heytvelt gets into foul trouble, then one plays the 5 spot, Daye moves to the 4, then Bouldin or Downs moves to the 3. It's that easy. We start big, and worry about foul trouble when the time comes.

Dude, calm down. This is a site of opinions and they're not all targeted at you!

Bottom line, going Big or Small isn't going to win you games. Put your best squad on the floor and adapt from there.

MississppiZag
06-23-2008, 03:17 PM
What's your problem, you act like i cussed and criticized people for their opinions. The people who don't see Sacre as a starter, i was showing them what i meant. Someone needs to realize who needs to calm down. Sorry for working you up. Promise to "calm down".:confused: