PDA

View Full Version : Can the Zags earn a 1 seed?

BobZag
06-21-2008, 09:21 AM
What will it take? I think it'll take near-perfection. No more than two losses. Anything more and forget a 1 seed. That would mean--

Win the Old Spice Classic (G-Town, Maryland, Mich St.)
Beat Arizona
Beat Indiana
Beat WSU
Beat UConn
Beat Tennessee
Beat Utah
Beat Memphis
Beat St. Mary's twice/thrice
Beat San Diego twice/thrice

The Zags can still lose two, I predict, and earn a 1 seed, but timing is everything. The losses would have to be spread out, ie, a loss in Old Spice Classic and a loss in WCC or @Tennessee in January.

And no bad losses.

Rangerzag
06-21-2008, 09:24 AM
A big help would be San Diego and St Mary's earning tourny bids and other WCC teams winning some high profile ooc games.

Another perfect storm.

bartruff1
06-21-2008, 09:36 AM
Get real...no way

nonzagzag
06-21-2008, 09:38 AM
it would take the above things - plus some help in the form of some of the other top teams such as UCLA, Duke, Michigan State, UConn, etc. to lose an extra 2 or 3 games more than we do otherwise the comittee will slide those BCS teams ahead of ourselves in a heartbeat

Nevtelen
06-21-2008, 10:02 AM
I'm not even sure 2 losses would be acceptable. Probably 1 max, considering the SoS overall the team will have after WCC play. And that 1 loss would have to be against a very strong team (perhapy UConn or Tenn or maybe Memphis). Even if St Mary's or USD make it into the top 25 again this year, a loss to either would probably be too much. The team basically has to be twice as good as most teams angling to get that 1 seed.

GoZags
06-21-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm still to the point where I enjoy each Zags victory -- during the regular season and post season. And I'm still to the point where I treasure making it to the dance.

I'll let others worry about Final Fours and seeds.

That being said, I still believe the best for GU hoops still lies ahead for our program.

BobZag
06-21-2008, 10:40 AM
In 2003-04 the Zags lost two regular season games, to St. Joe's and Stanford, and got a 2 seed. St. Joe's and Stanford were undefeated for most of their seasons but, overall, the Zags' schedule was not as tough (see link below) as this coming schedule is, plus the WCC was much weaker and a drag on the ol' RPI and SoS.

http://gozags.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/archive/gonz-m-baskbl-sched-2003.html

sittingon50
06-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Better yet, if they play to that level, how many of the players will still be getting ripped on this board?

zagster318
06-21-2008, 11:44 AM
Should we even want a #1 seed? Given the Zags' inherent inability to win as the favorite, especially in the NCAA's, this just seems like an extra target to me.

bartruff1
06-21-2008, 12:55 PM
Should we even want a #1 seed? Given the Zags' inherent inability to win as the favorite, especially in the NCAA's, this just seems like an extra target to me. I suppose everyone likes to be a underdog and the Zags have had some considerable success in that role but....
It is a HUGE advantage to have a #1 seed ....not only do you have "easy" games in the first few rounds, you usually do it at or near home. But, it isn't going to happen short of a perfect season including convincing wins over top 5 teams...

NEZAGFAN
06-21-2008, 01:04 PM
I would say that if we lose 2 or less theres a chance but I still am unsure if thats even possible because just three years back we were something like 27-3 and rated #3 in the nation but still only received a 3 seed. I just don't see the committee giving us higher then a 2 seed but if the Zags can go undefeated or just a loss we can leave the committee no other choice.

VinnyZag
06-21-2008, 01:22 PM
I can't imagine getting a 1 seed. But that's OK, because I don't care that much.

A 1 is nice, because you get a real gimmie game in the first round and it's a neat recruiting/marketing tool. Huskies still crow about their 1 seed from a couple years back ('05?), deservedly so.

But no matter what seed you get, you're playing a pretty good team in the second round and a downright scary team in the Sweet 16. So ... meh, who cares? Win as many games as possible, play your best in March and just try to beat whomever's in front of you.

FWIW, I think the best GU can hope for is a 3 seed, playing the first two rounds in Portland.

Reborn
06-21-2008, 01:23 PM
I don't think we will ever get a #1 seed. Best chance would be to go undefeated.

Gonzdb8
06-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Should we even want a #1 seed? Given the Zags' inherent inability to win as the favorite, especially in the NCAA's, this just seems like an extra target to me.

yes....we want a #1 seed.

pbriz
06-21-2008, 01:32 PM
I don't think we will ever get a #1 seed. Best chance would be to go undefeated.

Lets look at Memphis last year. One loss and they get a 1. Very similar out of conference schedule and our conference RPI this year should be about the same as that of CUSA last year.

I say one loss or undefeated and we get it. 2 or 3 losses and we get a 2 seed.

spudzag
06-21-2008, 02:08 PM
The one loss scenerio seems most likely to me. I'd be very happy with a 2 or 3 seed. A 4, not so much.

zag67
06-21-2008, 02:19 PM
I just hope that we can get a 1, 2 or 3 seed. That would mean we are playing great and winning. Then I hope that we do not have any injuries going into and during the tournament. If those are true, I think that we could make a great run for the roses.

We will need the players playing as a team and attacking at both ends of the court. Cut down the turnovers (including offensive fouls) and get the assists up. If we are getting the ball to the person in the flow, our shooting percentage should go up. Also we need to box out and get a better percentage of the rebounds. Lastly, they need to play super team defense both on and off the ball.

gueastcoast
06-21-2008, 02:27 PM
What a difference a month or two makes...I've been largely off the board lately (started a new job), and it was all gloom and doom post-tourney...now we have a "can the zags earn a 1 seed" topic. It's good to be back ;)

NJZag
06-21-2008, 02:30 PM
Get an early start to that #1 seeding!

Yes, fans, it's time to enter another poll in which FANS can lend weight to eventual outcome with a click of their mouse!

Right now, the predicted 2008 OSC Winner at the voting hotline

http://www.oldspiceclassic.com/poll_1_050608/p1.php

is ...

[drum roll]

are

you

ready

for

this?

Georgetown (30%)
Gonzaga (45%)
Maryland (0%)
Michigan State (1%)
Oklahoma State (0%)
Siena (0%)
Tennessee (1%)
Wichita State (23%)

CHICAGO STYLE - Vote Early. Vote Often! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0wxQNrmLGw&hl=en)

MickMick
06-21-2008, 02:31 PM

I agree with this. Undefeated or one "good" loss will get a #1 seed. Otherwise no dice.

I don't see a #1 seed happening.

spudzag
06-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Better yet, if they play to that level, how many of the players will still be getting ripped on this board?

:) Oh, most of them.

Das Zagger
06-22-2008, 07:22 AM
Billy Packer doesn't understand why anyone would think Gonzaga would be a 1 seed.

Billy is a moron.

ZagNative
06-22-2008, 08:04 AM
I'm still to the point where I enjoy each Zags victory -- during the regular season and post season. And I'm still to the point where I treasure making it to the dance.

I'll let others worry about Final Fours and seeds.

That being said, I still believe the best for GU hoops still lies ahead for our program.Me too!

bartruff1
06-22-2008, 08:24 AM
Billy Packer doesn't understand why anyone would think Gonzaga would be a 1 seed.

Billy is a moron. But even a moron is right once in awhile...

dnj116
06-22-2008, 10:12 AM
We cannot and will not earn a 1 seed. In the 03-04 season we lost just two games and were ranked I believe #2 in the last poll. We then earned a two seed. the committe is so biased it makes me sick. There is no way they're going to let a "mid-major" be a 1 seed regardless of how we perform..look at how they screwed us last year and put mid-majors against one another in the tourny so they would lessen the chance of a "cinderella." The best we can hope for is a 2 seed...

MDABE80
06-22-2008, 11:27 AM
If Romar can politic his way into a No 1 seed with a regular season record of 24-5 like he did in 2004-2005, there's no reason GU can't secure a no 1 seed. We had a no 2 seed years ago and just blew it. Get a big time team on big time TV with a big time record with 3 or 4 losses and GU will be in the money depending on how other teams do. Obviously if there are 4 teams that go 25-0 in regular season, well there will be no 1 seeds for the Zags.

The real issue is how the stars line up for the Zags with a 25/2 or 3 loss season. The WCC limits GU...just does. OOC is breathtaking though. We win all but 2 of those and maybe 1 loss in league..there's a good chance we might see a no 1 seed.

jbslicer
06-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Won't happen.

CDC84
06-22-2008, 04:30 PM
Had Memphis lost to Tennessee AND Gonzaga last season, would they have received a number one seed? Could they have lost 3 games?

C-USA had a RPI rank of 10 last season; the WCC had a RPI rank of 14.
Keep in mind, though, that the WCC put three teams into the NCAA tourney.

Memphis' non-league SoS was 9; Gonzaga's was 12.