PDA

View Full Version : Fact or Fiction: 2 Zags in 1st round next year

BilboZaggins
06-20-2008, 10:48 PM
Commence discussion.

I say fiction. We'll have 3: Pargo, Daye and Heytvelt.

thebigsmoove
06-20-2008, 11:09 PM
If heytvelt is healthy i say we have 2, if not then 1...

However, i believe we have 4 draft picks next year, Micah Downs(Late 2nd), Josh Heytvelt(Late 1st if healthy), Austin Daye(Lottery), and Jeremy Pargo(Early 2nd).

BobZag
06-21-2008, 09:10 AM
If Pargo was in France, he'd easily be a 1st-rounder.

theothegreat21
06-21-2008, 09:20 AM
If both Josh and Jeremy play to their potential for a full season, then they both are top 20 locks. Both have the athletic ability and build to play at the next level and be successful. Of course, if Austin were to declare, then we would have 3, as he is a lottery pick whenever he declares. What would be interesting is if either Josh or Jeremy have All-American type season's....then you might see 2 Zags in the lottery

Nevtelen
06-21-2008, 10:07 AM
If Austin declares, no question that he's in the lottery.

Pargo will have to make a big jump this year like he did last year. Plus the Zags will have to go deep under his leadership to creat buzz. He's capable of it, but that is a lot to ask of anyone. I hope he does it, though.

Josh will have to play at the level he did vs UNC for the whole season. I think he has really hurt himself draft-wise with his past season and a half. He needs to show what he can do in no uncertain terms or it's 2nd round city.

In all likelihood, I'll guess 1. I hope 2 (I hope Austin stays another year).

MickMick
06-21-2008, 11:35 AM
Austin Daye in round one. Thats it.

If Josh looks like the old Josh....maybe.

VinnyZag
06-21-2008, 01:27 PM
I don't buy Heytvelt as a first-rounder ... the 'character concerns' (which I think are bunkum, by the way, he's a kid who made a mistake) and his injury history will deter NBA scouts from gambling a first-rounder on him. I predict he'll get picked in the early second and make a team.

zagfan24
06-21-2008, 02:57 PM
I am guessing that Daye will probably go top 20, Pargo either late first round or early second round, and Heytvelt mid second round. Heyvelt could shoot up the boards with a great season though...he seems to be the type of big man that is really popular in the NBA right now -- athletic, can shoot, etc. I know scouts have said his ball handling is a concern though...

Downs has NBA level talent but coming off the bench in your senior season is a tough way to get noticed. He'll probably end up in Europe.

dim4sum
06-21-2008, 03:13 PM
I disagree that coming off the bench, as Downs might, precludes him from NBA consideration. If the program is strong enough people notice. Marvin Williams came off the bench at UNC and the scouts noticed. Several draftees out of UCLA over a long time span were sixth men and still made the NBA.
Jason Terry didn't start until his senior year. What Downs has to do is prove to the world that there was some merit way back when for naming him a
McCholesterol All-American.

VinnyZag
06-21-2008, 04:19 PM
I disagree that coming off the bench, as Downs might, precludes him from NBA consideration. If the program is strong enough people notice. Marvin Williams came off the bench at UNC and the scouts noticed. Several draftees out of UCLA over a long time span were sixth men and still made the NBA.
Jason Terry didn't start until his senior year. What Downs has to do is prove to the world that there was some merit way back when for naming him a
McCholesterol All-American.

Marvin was top-10 national recruit who came off the bench so some Carolina veterans could start in front of him. He was, arguably, the most talented player on that team ... the only reason he didn't start was because he was a freshman and Jawad Williams was a senior.
That's not a good comparison with Micah Downs.

bartruff1
06-21-2008, 05:16 PM
None

CDC84
06-22-2008, 04:10 PM
You have to keep in my mind that the 2009 draft is going to suck. I have no idea who is going to be a 1st rounder and who isn't it....time will tell.....but it wouldn't shock me to see 4 Zags selected somewhere in the draft. There are only going to be so many top flight prospects in next year's draft, but the teams have to pick players from somewhere.........

mtzaga
06-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Fiction. 0 or 1. The one being Pargo.

whatazag
06-22-2008, 09:04 PM
I am surprised that more people don't think that Heytvelt will be first round. If he stays healthy, I think there is no question he will be first round. Obviously that is a big if since it has never happened, but he is due some better luck. Other than that, Daye will obviously go first round. Pargo will be the bigger question mark in my opinion, just depends on whether he can turn himself into more of a pure point guard. 3 could definitely happen, but I would say a better bet would be 2.

GonzagaLove
06-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Fact. I could even see three if we get to the final four; Austin, Pargo and Josh. Downs could be in the conversation if he gets it going.

jim77
06-22-2008, 09:35 PM
1.Pargo...Gonzo
2.Heytvelt....If josh is healthy he will have a great season. The NBA loves ATHLETES and Josh is an athlete.
3.Daye...If he declares, he will be drafted.
4.Downs...Don't count this guy out,he's a talented fella.

Obviously a lt will hinge on how much success the Zags have...everybody loves winners. Excluding NC, we probably have the most talent in college basketball. The up coming season can only be described as "THE GAUNTLET"...a final 4 appearance (or better) will probably result in at least 3 draftees, Imo.

MDABE80
06-22-2008, 11:02 PM
Big time athletes biting at the same apple. If Josh hits the glass,...no climbs it like he can AND if Jeremy takes a few hints, figures out the turnovers, hits 3's because he's done a Rotnei and shoots ( and pays attention while he's shooting) 800 balls/day..AND if Austin progresses like he can.we'll have 3 in.

Jim points out that Micah still has a shot. I'm confused when it comes to Micah. He should have been putting up major points but he just hasn't. I'm not sure why. He's a good defender. Great leaper and should be doing more. Enough to make it the NBA? Doesn't seem so. What would he need to do to go in the second round??? Points and Defense is about all I can think of. 15/8 should get him the looks he needs. II hope he gets a chance and I hope he earns it. Our first Burger Boy seemingly going in half speed puzzles me.