PDA

View Full Version : Explosive Offense

roxdoc
06-20-2008, 07:00 AM
I, like everyone else on this board, have high hopes that next year will be "the one". There is lots of talk about how terrific our offense will be with all the good players we have. This includes the recent ESPN article. However one thing strikes me when I read various threads. Last year our offense ranged from mediocre to adequate. At times it was painful to watch. We lost some solid contributors and no one is predicting an immediate impact from the new guys. So...same guys next season, and yes they should be better just because they have had another year of experience.

The question I pose is: why do you think we will suddenly have this terrific offense?

BroncoZAG615
06-20-2008, 07:25 AM
The main reason for me, and this is a great question Rox, is because Austin and Steven's minutes won't be so erratic this coming year, I THINK.

Last year we had so many head scratching games where Austin would play 10 minutes and be instant offense but Few would take him out and not play him down the stretch. Now I think Austin will be one of those guys who rarely comes out.

Steven hit his comfort zone in the Davidson game (duh) and I think he is so comfortable now that we should be expecting some outstanding offense from him. I watched Ray Allen in those NBA finals and would love to have Steven just camped out on the three point line waiting for Pargo to find him. I can't wait to watch his shot again.

It's all based on "expected" improvement. Josh was a shell of himself last year but came along pretty nicely. Pargo should be steady once again. Matt should have more consistency being in Spokane all summer.

But you are right, it's all expected but I think it is all very realistic. But I think it's about Daye this year.

zag67
06-20-2008, 07:31 AM
I think that some of the injuries caused some of the offensive woes. So here is why I think we will be better (again IMO):

0. I think that one year more together allows them to understand each other and where each one can help the most and where they might need help.

1. Josh should have his legs back and therefore be a major threat on the boards, mid range game and also at the defensive end (to start fast breaks).

2. Jeremy P. was better as the year went on and should have learned what he needs during the last month. THerefore I see him finding the open person quicker and getting them the ball at the correct time. Also I think that he will work on his midrange game (including freethrows).

3. Austin has a year to become stronger and understand how he can dominate under certain conditions (also when not to try and do too much).

4. I think that with the extra year experience, we should be able to get the ball to the 3 point shooter at the right time and therefore people like Steven, Matt, Austin, Josh, etc. will be shooting in flow.

5. I think that Matt should have learned a lot about when he can post up versus help in other ways.

6. I believe that Micah should be able to show us the other part of his game. I think that last year he did a great job of showing that he can play defense and this year he needs to now practice and improve his offense.

7. Robert S. should be quicker and have learned how he can dominate the boards. The experience he got last year should really help in the transition to more playing time.

8. Lastly I think that Ira, Meeche and Gibbs should be able to fill in if someone goes down or needs a rest.

ZagMania
06-20-2008, 07:36 AM
For me its all about a more stable rotation. Last year, it seemed to me as if Few was having trouble balancing playing the more talented, experienced freshman with some solid veterans to find a rotation. Throw in injuries to Stephen and Josh, and others to Micah, Bouldin, ect. that slowed down players. The result was, of course, inconsistency.

This year, while I like the frosh class I don't see any of them pushing for many minutes. Thats why I think we're coming in with a rotation already set for the most part, and we know all of the individual parts of it are pretty darned talented. So if everyone stays healthy*, the offense could turn into something special.

* cross fingers

siliconzag
06-20-2008, 07:52 AM
When he said, what is needed, is not necessarily individual improvements on individual games. That the most important factor in the development of the Gonzaga basketball team, is whether or not they can rediscover the concept of teamwork. It has been sadly lacking. I remember in Sacramento during the Indiana game when Ravio was wide open and some of the one on one players insisted on taking it to the hole, not finishing, and it resulting in a wasted possesion.

The Celtics, as Gamagin argued, have that tradition and rediscovered it this year. Individual athleticism is important, but individual improvement can does not assure overall improvement. The offense didn't tick sometimes because players (I am not naming names) tried to do too much, when less would have worked. A few more passes (meaning we need to know how to handle the ball as well, and move without it to get open), a little more balance (no go to guy stuff), and finally help on defense to get the transition baskets will go a long way to improving the offense. And it won't be just one guy. It will be the whole team. And it needs to be infectious. And it needs to be the rule. No exceptions.

Sili

Rubbadub
06-20-2008, 07:53 AM
Kuso, Pendo and LG were great players, but they were all more defensive minded. Look at who is going to be picking up a majority of those minutes this year...Daye, JH, Gray, Micah...all more offensively skilled (Sacre's offensive development will be a real wildcard). JH, Bouldin and Micah will all (hopefully) be back to 100%. Pargo should be more determined than ever. Sacre, Gray and Daye will all have a year of college ball under their belts. I don't think there will be any challenge generating offense. Defensive philosophy is going to be what makes this team either shine or have another early tourny bow out.

cjm720
06-20-2008, 08:40 AM
Kuso, Pendo and LG were great players, but they were all more defensive minded. Look at who is going to be picking up a majority of those minutes this year...Daye, JH, Gray, Micah...all more offensively skilled (Sacre's offensive development will be a real wildcard). JH, Bouldin and Micah will all (hopefully) be back to 100%. Pargo should be more determined than ever. Sacre, Gray and Daye will all have a year of college ball under their belts. I don't think there will be any challenge generating offense. Defensive philosophy is going to be what makes this team either shine or have another early tourny bow out.

Rub nailed it!

I'll add that Meech/Gibbs bring additional ball-handling skills and will be pass-first players, further opening up the offense.

pbriz
06-20-2008, 08:56 AM
We were #19 nationally for ppg last year as a team. Granted we were not as charged as when Ammo was here, but still very respectable. We were 181 on ppg allowed. Both these stats courtesy of si.com on our team page.

This being said, next year I think we can crack the top 5 on offensive ppg and hopefully improve our defensive ppg to somewhere between 100 and 125 nationally.

Reborn
06-20-2008, 09:01 AM
Good seeing you Sili. How's your summer?

The key is the team being healthy. That was the factor that was missing last year. If we are plagued by injuries again this season are chances of making it very deep in the tournament are thinner.

If our offense is more explosive this year it will NOT be a surprise to those of us who know our players. They just need to stay healthy. Josh's injury killed us last year. Micah's injury....hurt us a lot. Matt's injury...the same. Pargo's leg definately hurt him some. Steven's broken wrist delayed his offensive game tremendously. These guys were not at full speed last year.
And these guys can all score.

Austin was a Freshman last year, and as all of us know, the difference between the Freshman and Sophomore year at Gonzaga is HUGE. Austin will much better this year and that, I don't think, will surprise any of us.

Good question, roxdoc. Brings back some good feelings about the Zags.

BobZag
06-20-2008, 09:11 AM
When Pendo and Kuso graduated the rotation became more manageable for next season. A more stable and consistant rotation should translate to more confidence and improved performances. A jump by the youngsters will be of great help, too.

Once and Future Zag
06-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Last year may have been "ugly" but we ended up with the 39th most efficient offense per Ken Pomeroy (and 33rd Defensively) - so in line with our historical offensive output - aside from the Ammo/Batista freakshow that was #1 for that year.

PPG is only meaningful in and of itself when every team plays at the same tempo exactly, which we know is not the case.

CDC84
06-20-2008, 09:45 AM
Offense must run thru Austin Daye.

Nevtelen
06-20-2008, 10:19 AM
We were #19 nationally for ppg last year as a team. Granted we were not as charged as when Ammo was here, but still very respectable. We were 181 on ppg allowed. Both these stats courtesy of si.com on our team page.

This being said, next year I think we can crack the top 5 on offensive ppg and hopefully improve our defensive ppg to somewhere between 100 and 125 nationally.

As Once and Future pointed out, I doubt our ppg allowed will get a lot better. All those slow-down, grind-out teams will be ahead of us as well as a lot of teams that like to run but don't do it as well as the Zags. If our defensive efficiency stays about the same or improves slightly, I'll be happy. It's the offense that needs to get a jump-start.

Zag79
06-20-2008, 11:26 AM
minutes. thats why this years team will be better on O. last year with pendo, kuso and matt getting a bulk of the minutes our offense slowed to a drip at times. kuso was a great player but not when it came to scoring. pendo for some reason or other was relegated to limited shots, and matt well he just was inept at being a consistent scorer in the clutch. that leaves 2 other guys on the floor that would score. pargo and austin. now with more MINUTES for daye, gray, and downs they will need to be the scorers and are much mroe capable of that. couple that with pargo, a healthy josh, and matt (who im assuming will have a consistent year) and this is going to be hitting 90s with ease.

Rubbadub
06-20-2008, 11:35 AM
minutes. thats why this years team will be better on O. last year with pendo, kuso and matt getting a bulk of the minutes our offense slowed to a drip at times. kuso was a great player but not when it came to scoring. pendo for some reason or other was relegated to limited shots, and matt well he just was inept at being a consistent scorer in the clutch. that leaves 2 other guys on the floor that would score. pargo and austin. now with more MINUTES for daye, gray, and downs they will need to be the scorers and are much mroe capable of that. couple that with pargo, a healthy josh, and matt (who im assuming will have a consistent year) and this is going to be hitting 90s with ease.

Rub cries plagiarism. :p

finechina2003
06-20-2008, 01:56 PM
Offense must run thru Austin Daye.

I agree 100%! This was my first thought when I saw the title of the thread. Gonzaga very effectively ran the offense through Adam his last year and it paid huge dividends, and Austin has the added bonus of being a much better passer IMHO.

BobZag
06-20-2008, 02:40 PM
Daye needs to be our Paul Pierce.
Gray can be our Ray Allen.
Heytvelt can be our Kevin Garnett.
Pargo can be our Rajon Rondo.
Sacre can be our Kendrick Perkins.

Etc., etc...

MickMick
06-20-2008, 04:49 PM
As Once and Future pointed out, I doubt our ppg allowed will get a lot better. All those slow-down, grind-out teams will be ahead of us as well as a lot of teams that like to run but don't do it as well as the Zags. If our defensive efficiency stays about the same or improves slightly, I'll be happy. It's the offense that needs to get a jump-start.

Best post in the thread. Hit the nail squarely on the head.

The offense only looked explosive twice last season. Once against Pepperdine and once against LMU. The Zag offense looked good (but hardly explosive) against Davidson. The rest of the season ranged from mediocre to good. Compare that to the season prior where the Zag offense exploded against the likes of Texas and UNC. D Ravio added a lot more spark than people give him credit for...and Josh was playing like a lottery pick. And the Zags ran, ran, ran....

It was great defensive effort (not great defense....but great defensive effort) that propelled the Zags into post season last year. When the defense broke down (ala San Diego in the WCC title game), the Zags fell apart with little offense to get them back into the game.

This is center stage for Daye/Gray. We are in dire need of those points.

KitsapZag
06-20-2008, 06:02 PM
Last season, I generally reached the GU Boards from the Zag team page on SI.COM. I always checked out the Zag's rating as far as points scored vs points allowed. The average did not change from before the first game of the 2007-2008 season thru the tournament. I think those numbers are from the 2006-2007 season.

I just went to the team page on Fox Sports. For the 2007-2008 season, they list:
PPG Scored: 76.5 Rating = 43
PPG Allowed: 63.8 Rating = 61

CDC84
06-20-2008, 06:23 PM
The Zags on defense last year were the best they've been since the early part of this decade, if not the late 90's. I know it didn't seem like that from under the right wrist of Stephen Curry, but if you look at the whole season, and assess most of the key stats, GU made significant improvements. It still needs to get better and more consistent, but the Zags are on the right path.

I would really like to see Gonzaga have a season where they were in the top 10 in offensive and defensive efficiency. Teams who do that sort of thing are so well equipped to make major runs in the NCAA tournament. I don't know if GU can get into the top 10 in defensive efficiency though. That's a tall task. Kenpom.com had them at 33 after the national title game.

Reborn
06-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Hey Mich Mick. HOw about Santa Clara at home, last home game of the year. I thought that offense was pretty explosive. I really thought after that game that we were ready for post season play. After that in the WCC tournament we really fell flat.