PDA

View Full Version : Free Agency Watch for Ronny

ZagNative
06-20-2008, 12:54 AM
The next few weeks should be interesting ones for Ronny, as he becomes a restricted free agent and can begin negotiating with other teams and the Lakers on July 1. Big guy definitely deserves a large raise, though he didn't have as significant a role or as much success in the final series as I would have hoped going into free agency. I'm sure hoping he'll still be wearing a Laker uniform next season. It just seems to have been a great fit for him and for them.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/NBA/Turiaf/Rony%20in%20NBA/2008-02-23RonnySpursgametwo.jpg
Ronny celebrates as he returns to the bench in the final moments of the Lakers win over San Antonio in game two
of the 2008 Western Conference finals.

From The Los Angeles Daily News ...

Turiaf, Vujacic hope they're part of Lakers mix next season
By Ramona Shelburne Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 06/19/2008 10:14:35 PM PDT

EL SEGUNDO - What would the "Bench Mob" be without Ronny Turiaf or Sasha Vujacic?

That's the question the Lakers will have to answer this offseason as both of their colorful, energetic young reserves become restricted free agents July 1.

The Lakers can match any offer another team makes them, and while both Turiaf and Vujacic said Thursday that they would like to stay in LosAngeles, the financial reality could change things.

"I know I'm going to be next year with a team that wants and needs me the most," said Vujacic, coming off a career season where he established himself as a premier outside shooter and pesky defender. "Who it's going to be, I'm not sure right now.

"But we are a great team, we have great chemistry. Who wouldn't want to keep that together?"

Vujacic made $1.8 million this season, Turiaf $770,610. This is a relatively tight free-agent market, so it's unlikely either would land an exorbitant contract, but each should be in line for a substantial raise nonetheless. How big that raise is will likely determine whether the Lakers decide to match it.

"If they want me here, I for sure would be more than happy to keep on going on this journey I started about three years ago with all my teammates," Turiaf said. "I built relationships here that are very strong and it would be tough for me to say goodbye to that.

"But when it comes down to it, this is a business decision for both sides. They have to worry about salary-cap issues and I have to find the best situation for me as far as playing time, also as far as the financial situation."

Turiaf said that he would only play for France in the Summer Olympics if his contract status is resolved in time. From The Press Enterprise:

Lakers Notebook: Vujacic, Turiaf will explore options

By BRODERICK TURNER
The Press-Enterprise

EL SEGUNDO - There was a time when Sasha Vujacic and Ronny Turiaf would never think about playing for anyone but the Lakers.

When the subject was broached about them becoming restricted free agents, both Vujacic and Turiaf would get looks of disdain in their eyes, as if to say how dare you ask that question.

But after Vujacic and Turiaf had their exit meetings Thursday with Lakers coach Phil Jackson and general manager Mitch Kupchak, both talked about how it is a business and how they would do what was best for them and their families financially.

Both said they want to remain with the Lakers, but both left the door open to leaving.

Vujacic, a 6-foot-7 guard, and Turiaf, a 6-10 forward/center, can begin negotiating with other teams and the Lakers gon July 1, but can't sign a contract until July 9.

Because both are restricted free agents, the Lakers can match any offers they receive.

It's believed that Vujacic's representative will be seeking the full mid-level exception of $5.8 million.

"I'm going to be with the team that wants and needs me the most," Vujacic said. "Who it's going to be, I can't say right now at this point. But we'll see."

Turiaf had to play out of position at times this season at back-up center. That may make him valuable on the open market.

"Of course as far as my personal preference, it would be to be here," Turiaf said. "But, is it the best situation for me? That would have to be discussed in the summer time."

VinnyZag
06-20-2008, 11:29 AM
I'm a Laker-hater going back to the mid-80s, but even I have to admit they were good to Turiaf back when he had his heart trouble. I wonder if that will have any effect and his decision.

ZagNative
06-20-2008, 12:05 PM
Doubtless it will make a difference, but I just got a feeling, considering what I gathered to be kind of a somber mood for both Ronny and Sasha, coming out of ".... their exit meetings Thursday with Lakers coach Phil Jackson and general manager Mitch Kupchak," with both of them talking about how " ... it is a business and how they would do what was best for them and their families financially." Previously, both had dismissed any discussion of leaving. I tried to imagine the conversations they might have had with Jackson and Kupchak that might provoke the types of comments they made afterward. I think they were both sending a message that they mean business and won't be anyone's patsy.

We'll see within a couple of weeks ...

VinnyZag
06-20-2008, 02:33 PM
True. And with Bynum and Gasol coming back, Turiaf will need to leave if he ever hopes to crack a starting lineup. LA may want to go in a cheaper direction for a backup big guy.
This much is certain: Turiaf's about to get paid, it's just a matter of by whom.

2011Zag
06-20-2008, 02:35 PM
I'm hoping Ronny gets a good offer from another team so I can go back to disliking the Lakers at 100%

ZagNut08
06-20-2008, 05:04 PM
I think they want to bring him back, but I have a feeling he won't be back. Just a hunch. I think they are going to go after some proven veteran bangers who are in search of a ring, and won't require a lot of minutes.

The only reasons I see them keeping Ronny is for his presence on the team and in the locker room.

Sasha, meanwhile, has said he will go to the team who wants him the most (pays him the most). His agents have said he will be looking for at least the full MLE which is 5.8$ mil I believe. I don't know how much the lakers are willing to shell out to keep either of them on the team. But, if Sasha leaves, I could see them throwing a 3 year 4.5-6$ million contract at Ronny.

gamagin
06-20-2008, 05:33 PM
<<Doubtless it will make a difference, but I just got a feeling, considering what I gathered to be kind of a somber mood for both Ronny and Sasha, coming out of ".... their exit meetings Thursday with Lakers coach Phil Jackson and general manager Mitch Kupchak," with both of them talking about how " ... it is a business and how they would do what was best for them and their families financially." >>

Well said. I think the Lakers have to shop for some instant talent to fill out the roster.

the "new" old motivation is to pick up some players like the Celtics did, seasoned and good enough to pick up the pace and be comfortable in the playoffs. Versus developing talent.

Since they have reached the finals, the next goal is to win the finals.

Ronny has developed well, but if there is some player who can step in and step up quicker, I think he's trade bait. I also think he could be a great pickup for a team 1-3 seasons away from making it to the playoffs.

In a perfect world (my world), he might wind up with Ammo somewhere.

ZagNative
06-20-2008, 06:41 PM
NBA team salary comparisons at Hoopshype (http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm)
Top 15 Team payrolls
1. New York Knicks $90,991,250
2. Dallas Mavericks $79,817,214
3. Portland Trail Blazers $79,672,295
4. Cleveland Cavaliers $79,601,862
5. Denver Nuggets $76,906,392
6. Los Angeles Lakers $75,330,112
7. Boston Celtics $74,831,989
8. Phoenix Suns $70,398,830
9. Indiana Pacers $69,526,339
10. Houston Rockets $67,469,940
11. Sacramento Kings $63,103,015
12. Milwaukee Bucks $62,387,203
13. Detroit Pistons $60,650,129
14. Utah Jazz $60,489,926
15. New Orleans Hornets $59,820,969Gassol's arrival pretty much seems likely to have wiped out the chance of a nice raise for Ronny (http://hoopshype.com/salaries/la_lakers.htm) ...

TexasZagFan
06-20-2008, 07:08 PM
The Dallas Mavericks could use the energy he brings. I think I'll send Mark Cuban an email.

ZagNative
06-20-2008, 07:19 PM
The Dallas Mavericks could use the energy he brings. I think I'll send Mark Cuban an email.While you're at it, put in a plug for Richie:

From the Dallas News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/061708dnspomavsshort.425f9fc.html) a couple of days ago:
he Mavericks also brought in Richie Frahm, a respected shooter who has bounced around the league for several seasons and played 10 games for the Los Angeles Clippers last season.