PDA

View Full Version : The 09 schedule is incredible

theothegreat21
06-19-2008, 09:09 AM
http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodmanonfox

We are participating in 4 of the top 20 non-conference games this season according to Jeff Goodman

TheSpokaneClan
06-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Those are some great games. I like the fact that we could potentially play Tennessee twice in the same year, once in the Old Spice Classic, and then at Tennessee.

ZagNative
06-19-2008, 09:53 AM
http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodmanonfox

We are participating in 4 of the top 20 non-conference games this season according to Jeff GoodmanWow!

1) North Carolina vs. Michigan State at Ford Field on Dec. 3.
2) UConn vs. Gonzaga in Seattle – Dec. 20
3) Notre Dame at UCLA – Feb. 7
4) Duke at Purdue – Dec. 2
5) Gonzaga at Tennessee – Jan. 7
6) Michigan State vs. Texas in Houston – Dec. 20
7) USC at Oklahoma – Dec. 4
8) Marquette at Tennessee – Dec. 16
9) Memphis at Tennessee – Jan. 24
10) UCLA at Texas – Dec. 4
11) Gonzaga vs. Arizona in Phoenix – Dec. 14
12) Memphis vs. Gonzaga in Spokane – Feb. 7
13) Kentucky at Louisville – Jan. 4
14) Kansas at Michigan State – Jan. 10
15) Georgetown at Duke – Jan. 17
16) Memphis at Georgetown – Dec. 13
17) West Virginia at Ohio State – Dec. 27
18) Kansas at Arizona – Dec. 23
19) Davidson at Duke – Jan. 7
20) Texas at Wisconsin – Dec. 23

theothegreat21
06-19-2008, 10:10 AM
This is truly a great job by the staff and the AD to put together a schedule of this caliber.I really love how both Few and Calipari put together such difficult out of confernce schedules. If they can somehow pull off a BCS opponent in K2 then I think they will have put together the perfect schedule. Just to add....I also really like how the games are spaced out throughout the season, as there are great games in November, December, January, and February, it is not overly front loaded

ZagNative
06-19-2008, 10:35 AM
The schedule is gradually becoming less amorphous. I wonder how much else has become clarified. The table below shows 11 OOC games pretty solid, plus a number of less solid possibilities. Last year, we had 16 OOC games, so do we just need to firm up four or five more, presumably at home?

I also wonder if we can figure out tentatively when some of these games might be scheduled, i.e., games to get ready for Orlando, timing of the WSU game, etc.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/2008-06-19Schedule.jpg

That chart was gleaned from various mentions on this board over past weeks and likely contains redundancies. Maybe BZ can help weed out the obsolete stuff ...

I've lost track about whether the Zags Classic is not a go for this year ...

JAGzag
06-19-2008, 10:44 AM
Wow. I'd venture a guess that we'll either sink or swim with this beast. Hope the kids bring their paddles!

Akzag
06-19-2008, 11:02 AM
and yet, that does not count the potential match-ups in the Old Spice.

The Big East is going to retain the Beast form this year. A W over G'town would go a long way. A game against Maryland would be our only ACC opponent.

kitzbuel
06-19-2008, 11:15 AM
I've been pricing train tickets to Orlando. Hmmmm....

229SintoZag
06-19-2008, 11:15 AM
If you live in Seattle, Phoenix, or Knoxville you get to see the Zags play a top tier opponent.

In Spokane you can go to the Arena and see Memphis.

Why did we build K2 again?

sittingon50
06-19-2008, 11:31 AM
I think it was for those 6 "Luxury Boxes", Sinto.;)

BroncoZAG615
06-19-2008, 11:37 AM
Those big name games are fun and are a blast to watch on TV but when USD and SMC come calling, I'll be glad I'm in Spokane.

Those games in that gym are a thing of beauty.

Nevtelen
06-19-2008, 12:01 PM
If you live in Seattle, Phoenix, or Knoxville you get to see the Zags play a top tier opponent.

In Spokane you can go to the Arena and see Memphis.

I agree with BroncoZAG that some of the WCC games will be fantastic this season. St Mary's and USD should both provide Top-25 caliber competition.

OTOH, I'm not a scheduler, but from everything I've ever heard about scheduling, I don't think it's possible to get a BCS team to come to K2. Ever. Its a money thing - they can make so much more money elsewhere. Unless there's a Gameday in it like there was for Stanford that one time, I just don't ever see it happening. I think the strategy of brining in top-level mids (who will take the game in a second) with home/home games, like Utah and St Joe's is pretty good. It'd be nice to see another good mid in K2 this year, but with all the tremendous games on the docket this season, it might have to wait until next year.

It certainly will be a monster schedule - similar to Memphis's sched last year, the schedule will either give the team the opportunity to seriously prove they're one of the big boys or drown a developing team under tough competition.

Edit: BTW, the Zona game on teh 14th: would that be right after finals week? Please tell me no. the team ALWAYS plays horribly the week after finals.

229SintoZag
06-19-2008, 12:25 PM
OTOH, I'm not a scheduler, but from everything I've ever heard about scheduling, I don't think it's possible to get a BCS team to come to K2. Ever.

This is false.

UCONN played AT Pepperdine last year. IIRC, Carolina played AT Santa Clara a couple years back (and lost, to boot).

We have had good BCS teams come to Gonzaga as well over the years (Oregon State, Stanford, WSU). We have also had UW come--not a marquee team or anything by any stretch, but they at least play in a good conference.

We have been close on USC, LSU, Georgetown, etc, etc.

This can and should happen. Gonzaga and Memphis, at this point, are BCS caliber teams when it comes to hoops and we should be using our leverage to draw decent home games.

Now that Dick Davey is at Stanford Few needs to get on the horn and get a ten year home/home inked pronto.

BobZag
06-19-2008, 12:26 PM
The schedule is gradually becoming less amorphous. I wonder how much else has become clarified. The table below shows 11 OOC games pretty solid, plus a number of less solid possibilities. Last year, we had 16 OOC games, so do we just need to firm up four or five more, presumably at home?

I also wonder if we can figure out tentatively when some of these games might be scheduled, i.e., games to get ready for Orlando, timing of the WSU game, etc.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/2008-06-19Schedule.jpg

That chart was gleaned from various mentions on this board over past weeks and likely contains redundancies. Maybe BZ can help weed out the obsolete stuff ...

I've lost track about whether the Zags Classic is not a go for this year ...

Idaho is iffy. It's vacation week this week so not much info to be had. Oh, I expect another good game, plus Big Skys, Big Wests, etc., to fill it out. The two-game Zags Classic is 50/50 last I heard. WSU-GU is always around December 1, give or take a week.

kitzbuel
06-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Looking at this schedule makes one think that this is getting to be a lot of road time. Hopefully not shades of the season before last.

MDABE80
06-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Schedule is fantastic. I'm wondering if it isn't enough as it sits though. I hope we're not going to wear the kids out with too much travel. We did that a few years ago and it really exhausted the players. Something to think about.....

madness
06-19-2008, 12:54 PM
This is false.

UCONN played AT Pepperdine last year. IIRC, Carolina played AT Santa Clara a couple years back (and lost, to boot).

Actually, North Carolina was upset by Santa Clara at Oakland as part of the Pete Newell Classic:

http://santaclarabroncos.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/112004aaa.html

FYI

ZagNative
06-19-2008, 01:11 PM
How it looks on a calendar so far ... This helps me get a feel for spacing ... When you see it on a calendar, does it still look like too much traveling? Doesn't look too tough to me so far. The opponents are obviously tough, but there seems to be adequate spacing in the time to recover.

Not sure about that date for the first game allowed. I saw Nov. 5 mentioned some place, but is it more likely it will be on Friday night?

And we're going to be playing WCC games Thursday/Saturday still, right (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/breaking/story.asp?ID=15021)?

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/CalendarNov08.jpg
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/CalendarDec08.jpg
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/CalendarJan09.jpg
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/CalendarFeb09.jpg

Nevtelen
06-19-2008, 01:21 PM
This is false.

We have had good BCS teams come to Gonzaga as well over the years (Oregon State, Stanford, WSU). We have also had UW come--not a marquee team or anything by any stretch, but they at least play in a good conference.

We have been close on USC, LSU, Georgetown, etc, etc.

UConn didn't play at Pepp last year AFAIK. The point is not that this never ever happens, but that there is always some other sort of mitigating factor. UNC stopped at SCU to give the team a warm-up game before a tourney (SCU happened to be on the way). Oregon came to SMC because SMC honored Kent and his SMC team. Stanford came to GU because of game day. Without these extraordinary circumstances, none of these game happen (Oregon got particularly suckered, IMO - masterful job by SMC). Not only that, but 90% of the time, the BCS team is expecting a blow-out win over weaker compeition when they go to a mid's home court, which is clearly not the case at GU.

It might be realistic for a BCS team (other than WSU, who will hopefully remain strong) to play at K2 every 3 or 4 seasons, unless UW ever finds their balls and slinks back to the series. If wouldn't hold my breath for anything more than that.

This can and should happen. Gonzaga and Memphis, at this point, are BCS caliber teams when it comes to hoops and we should be using our leverage to draw decent home games.

Now that Dick Davey is at Stanford Few needs to get on the horn and get a ten year home/home inked pronto.

The caliber of the team has little to do with it. There are tons of teams who would play a N site game against GU in an instant, but who would never come play at K2.

ZagNative
06-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Does no one speak for people like me, and the other 12,000 Spokane fans who might never get a chance to a Zags game in Spokane were it not for the fact that a couple of games a year might be seen in the Veteran's arena?

I would gladly take your place in the line for those season tickets. But for the generosity of some great Gonzaga fans who were willing to share their tickets for a couple of games, I would never have been able to see a game - any game - in K2.

This repeated kvetching about home games and begrudging fans like me who have no real chance at scoring a season ticket a chance to possibly see a couple of games at the Arena is really getting my goat. Are you being ripped off, season-ticket holders? According to a story I saw a few days ago in the Reno Gazette, a whole lot of other western shools think you're getting a pretty good deal.

What will it cost you?

Nevada first introduced premiums in 2004 and promised not to raise the premium prices for five years.

The school made good on its promise, but financial pressures have led to an increase in the premium prices for the 2009-10 season.

Courtside seat premium prices are rising from $1,500 to $3,000; premier seats (rows 1-6) from $1,000 to $1,500; and center section seats from $500 to $750. The next three sections all jump $100.

Nevada's premiums compare more closely with Pac-10 schools than Western Athletic Conference schools. Nevada's overall prices are markedly higher than another mid-major power, Gonzaga, which plays in a 4-year-old stadium.Clearly, this is a seller's market. You are getting to regularly see one of the country's best teams play on their home court, for what many consider a bargain price. There are a whole lot of people standing in that line behind you for those season tickets, including ZN.

2011Zag
06-19-2008, 03:52 PM
The issue of not being able to get BCS schools to come and play at K2 is sad but seems to be true without extraordinary circumstances. (i.e. Gameday, personal relationships, ect) This is why we need to look to the Missouri Valley and the A10 for home and homes. Southern Illinois, Western Kentucky, Saint Joes, Xavier, Dayton are schools that will usually help our RPI and would be willing to come.

I would love to see a home and home with Butler EVERY year. It seems like it’s a match made in heaven. I don’t think ButlerGuy would disagree either.

nonzagzag
06-19-2008, 05:28 PM
do you think his list of top 20 ooc games is in order with #1 being the best game, etc.?

it's obviously very arbitrary but that would put us in 2 of the top 5 games and 4 of the top 12 games.

sittingon50
06-19-2008, 05:37 PM
Would really like to see Jeremy get a game in/near Chicago. I have NO idea what has been tried but there are plenty of opportunities. Depaul is the longstanding name there, last year's RPI 158 (3-17-07). Northwestern probably an unacceptable 223. Ill-Chicago a very acceptable 136. Marquette & Notre Dame are "in the area" but I'm sure Few is "happy" with the current strength of schedule.

I know we've discussed this at times before but I think it's is very important to do this for Jeremy. Any thoughts?

BobZag
06-19-2008, 05:41 PM
do you think his list of top 20 ooc games is in order with #1 being the best game, etc.?

it's obviously very arbitrary but that would put us in 2 of the top 5 games and 4 of the top 12 games.

That's how I read it.

Zag79
06-19-2008, 07:45 PM

to make money off people that want to be seen, and be seen talking on there phones, eating, and drinking for free all the while missing the game. :lmao:

229SintoZag
06-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Does no one speak for people like me, and the other 12,000 Spokane fans who might never get a chance to a Zags game in Spokane were it not for the fact that a couple of games a year might be seen in the Veteran's arena?

I would gladly take your place in the line for those season tickets. But for the generosity of some great Gonzaga fans who were willing to share their tickets for a couple of games, I would never have been able to see a game - any game - in K2.

This repeated kvetching about home games and begrudging fans like me who have no real chance at scoring a season ticket a chance to possibly see a couple of games at the Arena is really getting my goat. Are you being ripped off, season-ticket holders? According to a story I saw a few days ago in the Reno Gazette, a whole lot of other western shools think you're getting a pretty good deal.
Clearly, this is a seller's market. You are getting to regularly see one of the country's best teams play on their home court, for what many consider a bargain price. There are a whole lot of people standing in that line behind you for those season tickets, including ZN.

It's a fair point ZN. I understand that there are many fans who would love to take my place as a season ticket holder.

The problem I have is that Gonzaga is better than this and can draw better games. We can use ESPN to our benefit. We can do better and should.

Pardon my bluntness, but we are not Arizona's little beotch. Or UConn's. Or Memphis's. Or anyone's, for that matter.

We need to start demanding and obtaining these home dates now. We have a preseason top 10 or top 15 team, with four guys who are projected to be NBA draft picks someday. We need to leverage that and get better home games. ESPN loves us and promotes our games, and we need to have them use that leverage to get us home games, whether it be Gameday or something else. But not at the Arena. It would be a paramount indignity to be known as the one school ever to "host" a Gameday not on campus, but at the gym downtown, because, well, who knows why. Just because. (As far as I can tell).

Sure, it is nice to have one game a year in the Arena so that those, like you, who don't have season tickets can see the Zags. But we built K2 to host not only the Portland State's of the world, but to host good quality OOC opponents. Let's start hosting them.

We are not a mid major anymore those days are long gone. If we called some bluffs with our opponents I am sure we could get some teams to do home-and-home deals with us. Not neutral-neutral. Not two-for one. Not we play them there, they play us at the arena or at the BIS.

Home. And home. I.e., campus. I.e., College Basketball, the way it is meant to be played. On Campus.

ZagNative
06-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Thank you for your generosity in conceding ZN should be able to see one game a year on her own dime, even if at the Veteran's Arena, not dependent on the generosity (and availability) of a season-ticket holder.

I also see the point of scheduling impressive home games to prove "We're good enough, we're powerful enough, and, dongonne it, people like us!"

However, we have a small 6,000-seat arena. Gonzaga could have built it twice as big as they did, but at an extravagant cost, and what would the point be of burdening donors or the school, when just a mile or so away sits a building that is available for the exceptional big-time game, especially when we look at the high-school gym environment some of our WCC opponents play in.

The Zags belong as much to the people of Spokane, all the people, as to the latte-sippers who go to see and be seen as much (some would say more) as to cheer on the team and support them.

The Zags' motto from the beginning has been, "Anytime, anywhere, anyone!" Nobody is going to disrespect us because we're inclusive, or pragmatic, for that matter. Year after year the staff has put together an OOC schedule that makes us the envy of schools like Southern Illinois who complain bitterly that Gonzaga gets great teams to play them, "Why can't we?"

So, you know, you can expect that everytime I see complaints from season-ticket holders that they don't have the market cornered on seeing the Zags play in person, I'm going to just let you know you're getting my ...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/beta376.gif

Nevtelen
06-20-2008, 10:24 AM
Pardon my bluntness, but we are not Arizona's little beotch. Or UConn's. Or Memphis's. Or anyone's, for that matter.

It's not like we're going to play these teams in their home area and not getting a home visit in return. We're playing them at N sites and getting N site returns. That's pretty far from being anybody's beotch. The only quasi-exception is Memphis, but Memphis's 'homecourt' is, basically, a N site in that it's the Grizzlies arena, not on-campus in any way.

roxdoc
06-20-2008, 10:31 AM
Atta Girl ZagNative ......I'm with you!

229SintoZag
06-20-2008, 12:16 PM
It's not like we're going to play these teams in their home area and not getting a home visit in return. We're playing them at N sites and getting N site returns. That's pretty far from being anybody's beotch. The only quasi-exception is Memphis, but Memphis's 'homecourt' is, basically, a N site in that it's the Grizzlies arena, not on-campus in any way.

We have an N-site return game for Arizona? I missed that. Last I heard was that it was a "possibility." Nothing confirmed.

We played basically at Memphis during Ammo's last year and never got a return game on campus. It's unconscionable.

I generally have no problem with a few good neutral site OOC games a year, particularly if they make sense. Maui Invitational was good. UConn last year was good (even if just in exchange for a game in Seattle). The years we played Stanford and Cal in the Pete Newell Challenge were good.

What I have a problem with is us traveling throughout the entire country, taxing our players and fatiguing them, and not getting ANY good OOC teams to come to K2 for the ENTIRE season. Not a single one.

Our arena is plenty large. Our team is likely to be a protected seed next year. We can and should do this.

ZN your ire is misdirected. Whether you or anyone else can get tickets to K2 is a separate issue. As a Zag fan we should all want what is best for the team. And what is best for the team is (1) more games at home, on campus; and (2) that at least a couple or a few of those games every year be against good quality competition.

Last season we had a total of 30 games before the WCC tournament. Of those 30, 14 were at K2. 7 of those 14 were our WCC brethren. The other 7 OOC opponents who came to K2? WSU (good). The rest? Montana. Idaho. Riverside. Northridge. Northern Colorado. Utah. (Utah semi-respectable; the remainder are also rans). Not one of our OOC home games was nationally televised. Not a single one. (ESPNU does not count.)

I realize I may seem to be a spoiled, irreverant, ungrateful whiner. But really I am not. We can drop the Riversides, the Idahos, the Northern Colorados of our home schedule and put decent teams in their stead. We should also be playing at least the majority of our games at home, rather than on the road.

I see no reason why anyone should not be supportive of both 1 and 2 above if that person is a Zag fan--regardless of whether you can get tickets or not.

NEZAGFAN
06-20-2008, 12:24 PM
Amen 229SintoZag! The guys deserve to be rewarded with some good OOC games in K2. I would love to see the likes of Xavier, Butler, SIU, and Creighton become regulars in the OOC.

SteelCityZag
06-20-2008, 01:13 PM
Sinto,

much respect for your point, but allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment. If we have the clout, the tools, the team, and the capability, what, in you estimation is holding the coaching staff back from scheduling these higher profile home games? Are they not trying hard enough as you see it?

It seems to me that Few and Co. would get these games if they could. Plus, there have been several "almosts" that we've heard about on this board for potential home-and-homes. Could it be that playing in Spokane at K2 is a deal breaker for some programs...an almost certain loss that they aren't interested in adding to the sched?

I don't know the answers, I'm just asking.

cjm720
06-20-2008, 01:18 PM
The Zags belong as much to the people of Spokane, all the people, as to the latte-sippers who go to see and be seen as much (some would say more) as to cheer on the team and support them. [/IMG]

ZN, sorry I have to disagree. Not to take anything away from your personal zeal, as well as many fans in the Spokane area, but the Zags belong to faculty, students, and alumni. Don't get me wrong there's a community element that should not be overlooked, but when you're talking about tickets for an on campus sporting event, the spokane citizens come second. I went to every home game when I attended ('91-'95, except my junior year in Florence) and there were plenty of seats available. What does this tell you? There are more fairweather fans than not. The thing is, this magical "run" has not ended creating the "hottest ticket in town."

So, the real issue has to do with $$$$ and ticket availability. I think ZN's real real point is whether those with $$$$ represent true fans and are deserving of their seats. There have been a few healthy threads on this board with varying opinions and we can debate this all day but until the season ticket policy changes or our "magical run" fades and dies, it is what it is.

I have a proposal: Gonzaga should offer "half-season" tickets so twice as many Spokanites can attend games. This could be a win win for everyone!!!

ZagNative
06-20-2008, 01:56 PM
ZN your ire is misdirected. Whether you or anyone else can get tickets to K2 is a separate issue. As a Zag fan we should all want what is best for the team. And what is best for the team is (1) more games at home, on campus; and (2) that at least a couple or a few of those games every year be against good quality competition. As Mark Few said (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/zags/archive.asp?postID=3534), after UW announced it had decided it had had enough losing to the Zags on the Zags' home court,

“Our guys know we’re going to play a lot of big-time games in big-time arenas on national television when they come here,” he explained. “And that’s certainly going to be the case for the years to come, as long as I’m here.”Big-time games, in big-time arenas ... Like this one in Banknorth Gardens in Boston, with freshman Austin Daye standing next to Jeremy Pargo as he hoisted the trophy for the win over UConn above his head,

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Austin%20Daye/2007-12-01Jeremy-Uconn-ZagInPhillyp.jpg

Or a freshman Matty B in Madson Square Garden against Duke ...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Matt%20Bouldin/MattinMSG.jpg

Or maybe Steven, going up against Tennessee at the Battle in Seattle ...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Steven%20Gray/2007-12-29StevenTennessee.jpg

We get the types of kids we do because they want to play against the best in big time venues, with more national TV exposure than almost any team in the west.

From that Meehan blog linked about, about UW's decision to quit playing the Zags,

Few, during a Thursday afternoon conference call with reporters from the Seattle area, said he understands the difficult scheduling demands coaches face each year and refused to criticize UW for severing ties with the Zags in 2007-08 because of a proposed schedule that Husky coach Lorenzo Romar described as “just too crowded.”

UW, in recent years, has loaded it early season non-conference schedule with home games against mid-major conferences and will be playing its first road game of the 2005-06 season when it invades McCarthey Athletic Center on Saturday for a 7 p.m. showdown against Few’s Bulldogs.

Gonzaga, on the other hand, has opted to travel nationwide in an effort to secure games against big-name national powers.

“It’s the toughest part of the business right now, even tougher than recruiting,” Few said of scheduling at the major college level. “And there’s a lot of different ways to do it.

“Washington’s way certainly worked terrifically the last couple of years and got them at-large bids (in the NCAA Tournament). They gained a lot of confidence and really got the home arena rockin’ over there.

“But our way has worked, also,” Few added, noting that his “national schedule” approach, which has, perhaps, garnered the Bulldogs more national television exposure than any team in the western part of the country, has “really served us well.”Do I think you sound spoiled? In a word? Yes. More important, I think you are wrong.

Any time you feel so disappointed in the prospect of a game in K2 to as to decide it's not worth a trip to the MAC, please feel free to pm me and I'll be lad to take your tickets off your hands for that game at face value, or even at a premium.

2011Zag
06-20-2008, 02:19 PM
ZN I agree with your point about our ability to get marquee games against high profile opponents but 229's point is about where these games are played.

Our OCC games at the K2 are a joke. I feel we are getting the short end of the stick from the big schools we agree to play in "neutral sites" that are really off campus home games. We have reached the point where we disserve to play some of our difficult games at home, I mean at least one!

Lastly, all the complaints about the diminishing environment at K2 is directly related to having poor teams playing in our gym. Top tier mids like Butler, Creighton, and Xavier should be on our schedule every year.

229SintoZag
06-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Sinto,

much respect for your point, but allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment. If we have the clout, the tools, the team, and the capability, what, in you estimation is holding the coaching staff back from scheduling these higher profile home games? Are they not trying hard enough as you see it?

It seems to me that Few and Co. would get these games if they could. Plus, there have been several "almosts" that we've heard about on this board for potential home-and-homes. Could it be that playing in Spokane at K2 is a deal breaker for some programs...an almost certain loss that they aren't interested in adding to the sched?

I don't know the answers, I'm just asking.

I am supremely confident we can improve our home schedule.

It does not have to all be BCS teams to do it. Drop Montana, play Creighton. Drop Idaho, play Xavier. Keep Memphis going, but insist it be on campus. Memphis needs us as much as we need them now that the cream of C-USA is part of the Big East. Get Few on the phone and talk Calipari into it. Make it happen. Enlist Katz, ESPN. Whatever. Push, push push.

Plus, we can get BCS teams to come, it just takes some fenagling. But it is doable. We should leverage our Jesuit contacts to press Marquette and Georgetown for a series or two. That that has not happened yet puzzles me. DePaul should have come last year, so we could play there this year for Pargo. We should explore home-and-homes with BCS schools like Arkansas and Mississippi State, which are located in towns in the middle of BFE where nobody will go, and offer to play there in exchange for a return game. Offer up Colorado for Bouldin and ask them to take the short flight up to Spokane for a return game. This isn't that hard folks. It is doable. It is jut not being done. It appears we are content to simply fill out the schedule for home games with cupcakes, knowing that the games will all be sellouts at K2 no matter if we are playing Duke or the Sisters of the poor, and get our RPI boost on the road since that is the easier thing to do (and actually a bit better for our RPI in doing it.)

I am convinced one of the reasons we have so few home OOC games against good teams is because the fans don't demand it. Instead, they just show up, pay, and watch blowouts in an arena that is getting quieter and less hostile, year after year.

zag67
06-20-2008, 04:38 PM
I think that many of the BCS teams would require money to come. They can get games closer to home and not have the expenses that they would incur coming out here. Also they do not want to play a mid major team that they do not think they can beat or at least have a good chance to win.

Now because of these expenses, GU plays those games in bigger places like Seattle or the Spokane arena. That was a decision that was made when they built K2.

I do think that the coaches and staff are trying to get more high profile teams, but it is not easy. And when they do, there are probably guarentees that have to be paid. Also at the beginning of a season, it is not bad to have one or two games against teams like Montana. Not every year do you have the returning team that we have this year. Many times you need to have a couple of games to mold the players and find out what they can do in game situations. To do this you must schedule teams in an order that allows your team to grow.

I have trouble looking at this years schedule and see people write that they should replace some of the easy games. They are playing Indiana, Utah, Tennessee, Memphis, Arizona, U. Conn, WSU and Spice tournament (3 games). Not to mention possibly 1 or 2 other major games. That is about 10 games against major competition before you go into league play. I do not think that you would find one other team in the nation that is playing that type of schedule. But again that is IMO.:)

sittingon50
06-20-2008, 05:24 PM
I appreciate the different points of view in this thread & certainly see the merits of all. There is another facet to consider that has not been mentioned.

Speaking as a coach (baseball), I have a # of goals in the pre-season. Primary is getting to see the kids that I've not coached before, what they can & can't do & how they react under pressure situations. On the other hand, I don't want the new kids going up against future major leaguers all the time & having little to no success.

It is not imperative for me to win all my games (no RPI considerations) & I don't try to. But Few & staff have to balance both (winning & teaching). They have a fair amount of heavy hitter's already scheduled so I'm not sure more are required. And I do believe that it is important to keep some of the regional "rivalries" going (at least on an every other year basis). But I would agree that some of the 200+ RPI hits should disappear for teams that are in the 80-130 range. Based on the things we've heard from Coaches Krause & Few, easier said than done.

zag67
06-20-2008, 06:28 PM
I agree with Sittingon50. "preseason" is to learn about your team as well as have a good set of wins for the RPI. I also would agree on trying to get the other teams in the 80 - 130 range.

ZagNative
06-20-2008, 07:08 PM
I want to be a little mouse in the corner when Coach Few and Co. convince schools like Georgetown, Xavier, Creighton, DePaul, and Marquette that a home and home series makes sense for them economically, traveling across country to a pretty remote location, to take a chance at getting beaten on the Zags tiny on-campus arena. Compare the size of their home courts to ours, and consider that, as far as I've been able to discover anyway, only one of them, Xavier, has its home court on campus, especially when three of them play in the Big East, and their SOS already looks plenty tough with their regular conference opponents (except for Creighton):

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/Comparisonofhomearenas.jpg

If I've gotten any of that wrong, feel free to correct me.

I would be delighted to see any of those teams in a home and home with the Zags, and maybe Few & Co. will be able to work some magic one of these days. I'd just rather it would be in a venue where I might have a chance to see it as a non-season-ticket-holder.

MickMick
06-20-2008, 08:55 PM
“It’s the toughest part of the business right now, even tougher than recruiting,” Few said of scheduling at the major college level.

ZagNative nails it with this quote of Mark Few.

If season ticket holders want better K2 games, they better start pulling for the WCC to become the second best conference on the west coast.

Nevtelen
06-21-2008, 08:07 AM
We have an N-site return game for Arizona? I missed that. Last I heard was that it was a "possibility." Nothing confirmed.

We played basically at Memphis during Ammo's last year and never got a return game on campus. It's unconscionable.

That's because Memphis "home" arena is an NBA arena, not on campus. The return to Spokane Arena is a similar venue.

I generally have no problem with a few good neutral site OOC games a year, particularly if they make sense. Maui Invitational was good. UConn last year was good (even if just in exchange for a game in Seattle). The years we played Stanford and Cal in the Pete Newell Challenge were good.

What I have a problem with is us traveling throughout the entire country, taxing our players and fatiguing them, and not getting ANY good OOC teams to come to K2 for the ENTIRE season. Not a single one.

Our arena is plenty large. Our team is likely to be a protected seed next year. We can and should do this.

Whether or not the program can get games in K2 has very little to do with how good the team is. There are tons of teams that are fantastic that don't get any great home games except in conference. Very few get other major BCS schools to visit. Those that do play in arena and generally have some other kind of incentive, too. And it still doesn't happen every year. Basically like the Zags.

ZN your ire is misdirected. Whether you or anyone else can get tickets to K2 is a separate issue. As a Zag fan we should all want what is best for the team. And what is best for the team is (1) more games at home, on campus; and (2) that at least a couple or a few of those games every year be against good quality competition.

Last season we had a total of 30 games before the WCC tournament. Of those 30, 14 were at K2. 7 of those 14 were our WCC brethren. The other 7 OOC opponents who came to K2? WSU (good). The rest? Montana. Idaho. Riverside. Northridge. Northern Colorado. Utah. (Utah semi-respectable; the remainder are also rans). Not one of our OOC home games was nationally televised. Not a single one. (ESPNU does not count.)

I realize I may seem to be a spoiled, irreverant, ungrateful whiner. But really I am not. We can drop the Riversides, the Idahos, the Northern Colorados of our home schedule and put decent teams in their stead. We should also be playing at least the majority of our games at home, rather than on the road.

Look at any program's OOC schedule, major or mid. What program doesn't bring in weak teams to play? The team needs some easy games for a variety of reasons. If we played all tough teams, our strength of sched would be insane (it's already generally very strong) but the W/L wouldn't be very good. That's not the way to build a winning season. Every team brings in cupcakes to play because it's necessary. Now, do I wish we would stop with the 300+ RPI teams like Idaho? Yes. It's terrible for the SoS and just as easy of a game could be had against Montana or something and it would be much better for the schedule and at least slightly more competitive.

I don't want to keep harping on this, but you seem to feel like Few could just wave a magic wand and get any team he wants into K2. If he could, don't you think he would? What coach wouldn't love to give his team that extra advantage of playing at home against a major opponent?

MickMick nailed it with the quote and the prediction. The reason other teams get good home games is because their conference forces home/homes. The WCC is improving - if GU wants regular solid home games, fans should hope that St Mary's and USD stay good (and others keep closing the gap).

229SintoZag
06-23-2008, 09:18 AM
That's because Memphis "home" arena is an NBA arena, not on campus. The return to Spokane Arena is a similar venue.

I don't want to keep harping on this, but you seem to feel like Few could just wave a magic wand and get any team he wants into K2. If he could, don't you think he would? What coach wouldn't love to give his team that extra advantage of playing at home against a major opponent?

As for Memphis playing in an NBA arena, that's their choice. Point is, we played on their home floor--not some arena down the road. They should reciprocate and play on our home floor. The fact they don't play on their campus is not our problem. We do play on our campus. And we should expect that if they want the privilege of playing us year in and year out (and it is a privilege, which they enjoy, to assist their SOS in a desperately needed way in the depleted CUSA), they they get to play us at K2 when we play in Spokane. Period.

As for scheduling, I do understand the difficulty and I do see your point. My point is that difficult is not impossible, and the Zags are uniquely situated in the college hoops landscape at this point to draw these games. We had a home and home with Virginia--an ACC team. We had one with Stanford. It may not be easy, but it is doable.

And there is no reason we cannot get other good Jesuit schools to play us, whether BCS level (Marquette, G-Town) or a step lower (Creighton). Get the Jesuits to lean on their brethren and make it happen. Whatever it takes.

Finally, we don't need more than one or two "gimme" games in our OOC. We get plenty of gimmes in the WCC every year. The BCS schools of the world can sometimes get by on the cupcake+conference approach. We cannot. I am of the firm opinion, for example, that we should never play the likes of Northern Colorado again.

CDC84
06-23-2008, 09:51 AM
Finally, we don't need more than one or two "gimme" games in our OOC. We get plenty of gimmes in the WCC every year. The BCS schools of the world can sometimes get by on the cupcake+conference approach. We cannot. I am of the firm opinion, for example, that we should never play the likes of Northern Colorado again.

I also feel that scheduling "gimme games" can be accomplished without having to play regular 270+ RPI type teams like Northern Colorado and Texas-San Antonio. A perfect example of this was scheduling CSU-Northridge last year. The Zags beat the Matadors by 26. They got to work on things, give their subs lots of PT, etc. The game basically served the same purpose as the Northern Colorado game. The difference was that Northridge was a good enough team to end their season with a RPI of 111 and a 19-10 record.

It seems to me that Gonzaga needs to bypass Northern Colorado and schedule more Northridge type teams for their "gimme games." The 270+ RPI teams just kill Gonzaga's power ratings. They need to avoid those teams like a plague because the WCC, every year, is going to provide 2 or 3 of them.

sittingon50
06-23-2008, 12:05 PM
here, but I think N. Colorado is one of those unique ones. Coach Krause got his Master's & Doctorate there & was inducted into their Distinguished Alumni Hall of Fame. A step removed from some of our "regional" rivalries, but a tie in none-the-less.

And I do think they are going to get better. Pretty new to D1 plus a new Coach & conference affiliation; hopefully they'll climb to respectability.

229SintoZag
06-23-2008, 12:30 PM
here, but I think N. Colorado is one of those unique ones. Coach Krause got his Master's & Doctorate there & was inducted into their Distinguished Alumni Hall of Fame. A step removed from some of our "regional" rivalries, but a tie in none-the-less.

And I do think they are going to get better. Pretty new to D1 plus a new Coach & conference affiliation; hopefully they'll climb to respectability.

All well and good, but personal ties to Krause do not justify a game against an RPI 300 team on our schedule.

If they ever improve enough to be a decent sub RPI 150 game, perhaps it makes sense.

sittingon50
06-23-2008, 01:06 PM
I won't argue with you TOO much Sinto, but loyalty/friendship seems to be valued quite highly by Few & his staff & I think it's just one of those deals.

I applaud them for that.

cjm720
06-23-2008, 01:36 PM
Plus, we used to be that 150+ ranking.

I think overall it's a good balance in college hoops to afford the less talented teams the shot at playing a more visible program.