PDA

View Full Version : Ammo tidbits

Pleasant Peninsula
06-17-2008, 03:38 PM
F Adam Morrison was at the practice facility Monday as he continues to recover from knee surgery. Higgins said Morrison and F Sean May (knee) are not likely to play in the Las Vegas summer league. F Jared Dudley and F Jermareo Davidson are expected to play.

http://www.theledger.com/article/20080616/APS/806161011

Chad Ford (who has little credibility, IMO) posits that the Pistons might be interested in Morrison, along with Gerald Wallace and Sean May. The deal could, according to Ford, be for Rasheed Wallace and/or Tayshaun Prince.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NBA&id=786&line=98725&spln=1

And then there's this gross little nugget, from our friends at nbadraft.net

Itís safe to say that Adam Morrison has been a complete bust. After a sketchy and underwhelming rookie season, Morrison missed his sophomore year with a torn left knee ligament. The moustache is going to find it extremely difficult to do anything in this league and he might go down as one of the worst selections in draft history.

http://nbadraft.net/2008stateofthecapcharlotte001.asp

SDUQ
06-17-2008, 04:34 PM
No way he beats Sam Bowie

RenoZag
06-17-2008, 05:00 PM
No way he beats Sam Bowie

QFT

Zagdawg
06-17-2008, 05:11 PM
If injury= bust what does that make Oden?

I would give Adam a bit more time before the "bust" is engraved near his name in the draft record books.

ZagNut08
06-17-2008, 05:33 PM
maybe there is a reason agents are recomending that their players don't accept workout invitations in charlotte

it's not the best place to go to have your carreer take off

zagfan24
06-17-2008, 06:23 PM
This stuff has been all over espn.com (especially Hollinger) and it drives me nuts. The guy played one year and was hurt this year -- WAY too soon to be a bust.

While his defense was suspect his stats certainly weren't terrible. His shooting percentage wasn't much worse than AI's during an MVP year, and while he didn't get a lot of rebounds or assists - the same could be said about a lot of rookies. The few games I saw he appeared to be getting off good shots, just not hitting with confidence.

Ammo will never be an all-star, in my opinion, but he certainly could become a serviceable scorer off the bench.

4EVERaZAG
06-17-2008, 06:26 PM
To call him a bust is ridiculous he's only played in the league for one year averaging 12pts game in 30 minutes of action and the next season decimated by injury. Those numbers won't make anybody scream all-star. But you can't take one season and say that is the player he will be for the rest of his career, and that he can't improve and find a way to excel at the NBA level. I believe that Adam will prove these people wrong and find a way to become a productive NBA starter.

gamagin
06-17-2008, 06:37 PM
but Adam has the ability and moxie to play in the NBA and play well.

Otoh, a very high draft pick like Ammo can expect this kind of criticism from those who expect a first rounder to step in and play, or at least be an impact player, out of the chute.

Fact is some do and some don't. I don't think there is any scientific study that a bust comes after one season and an injury, so this guy is just shooting from the hip. Filling out his column.

Ammo will improve and play IF larry brown likes his game and comes to believe in him. If not, I hope he gets a chance with a team and system that sees his talent and gives him his head.

But first, I hope Ammo gets and remains healthy and strong. the rest will follow.

Coug Tracks
06-17-2008, 07:32 PM
"Ammo will never be an all-star, in my opinion, but he certainly could become a serviceable scorer off the bench."

Too early to call him a bust but Zagfan, the #3 pick in the draft needs to do a litte bit more than become a "serviceable scorer off the bench".

MDABE80
06-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Brandon Roy had a spectacular rookie year..in every category. I suppose some people will hold Adam (or other rookies) to that standard. Back up for a minute and think if you would be reasonably happy with 12 ppg from a rookie. Hardly "bust" territory. Adam will be mocked and discounted as long as he continues to avoid playing defense and become more of a complete player.

As I recall, 3 years ago Adam was regarded as simply a shooter. Well, he shot and shot and shot his way to a pretty lousy %. No matter that he's pretty one dimensional, who's to say he won't blossom when/if he figures out that he must do other things besides shoot.

I don't know if he'll wash out and be a bust but I do agree that Adam's NOT a Roy. I also agree it's way too early to define Adam as a complete bust. Author sounds like he was hungover when he wrote.

englishzag
06-18-2008, 05:40 AM
Steve Nash was considered a bust at onetime......... just saying

LongIslandZagFan
06-18-2008, 06:24 AM
Kwame Brown?? The dude was the number 1 pick and he has been nothing but a bit of dog turd under the NBA's shoe.

Lets see:

7.5 ppg
5.7 rpg
1.45 TOs a game

Please note he "peaked" at 10.9ppg/7.4rpg back in 03/04 its been a steady decline since then. And after 1 season and an injury season Adam is a bust??? I guess he forgot all about Mr. Brown and his worthless contribution to the NBA.

ZagNut08
06-18-2008, 06:35 AM
adam has a long ways to go before his name can be mentioned in the same breath as kwame...I mean, ammo hasn't ever stolen someones birthday cake and smashed it back in their face

exiledhusky
06-18-2008, 11:59 AM
F Adam Morrison was at the practice facility Monday as he continues to recover from knee surgery. Higgins said Morrison and F Sean May (knee) are not likely to play in the Las Vegas summer league. F Jared Dudley and F Jermareo Davidson are expected to play.

http://www.theledger.com/article/20080616/APS/806161011

Chad Ford (who has little credibility, IMO) posits that the Pistons might be interested in Morrison, along with Gerald Wallace and Sean May. The deal could, according to Ford, be for Rasheed Wallace and/or Tayshaun Prince.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NBA&id=786&line=98725&spln=1

And then there's this gross little nugget, from our friends at nbadraft.net

Itís safe to say that Adam Morrison has been a complete bust. After a sketchy and underwhelming rookie season, Morrison missed his sophomore year with a torn left knee ligament. The moustache is going to find it extremely difficult to do anything in this league and he might go down as one of the worst selections in draft history.

http://nbadraft.net/2008stateofthecapcharlotte001.asp

Seems to me, I read the same things and worse about a fromer #3 pick named Donyell Marshall. Thirteen years later, any GM in the league would gladly take a player with the kind of double double numbers Marshall has put up.

I didn't like the set up for Morrison when he went to Charlotte and I like it even less now. However, going to Detroit could be from the fire to the frying pan since the firing of Saunders and the Joe Dumars' promise to right the ship.

Making Morrison a key piece in a trade for Wallace or Prince can only end in a feast or famine for Adam. While the pressure to be the guy would be off Adam due to the presence of crowd favorites Hamilton and Billups, nothing short of a ring would satisfy Dumars. Ring and all is good, no ring and Adam is primed to be the scapegoat.

CDC84
06-18-2008, 02:06 PM
I have to admit that it would be cool to see Adam Morrison and Rodney Stuckey playing for the same team. I would certainly make an effort to tune into more Piston games......

SunDevilGolfZag
06-18-2008, 06:41 PM
I was working in Mesa, Arizona at the time of the 1984 NBA Draft. The next day, a sportwriter from the Mesa Tribune said in an article that John Stockton was a pick that the Jazz would regret for years to come. I won't repeat the writer's name, although I wish I would have saved that article. Maybe the Ammo detractors will eat their words too. I hope so.

zagfan24
06-18-2008, 06:43 PM
"Ammo will never be an all-star, in my opinion, but he certainly could become a serviceable scorer off the bench."

Too early to call him a bust but Zagfan, the #3 pick in the draft needs to do a litte bit more than become a "serviceable scorer off the bench".

I agree, Coug Tracks, but lets look at the last few #3 picks

Raef LaFrentz
Baron Davis
Darius Miles
Pau Gasol
Mike Dunleavy Jr.
Carmelo Anthony
Ben Gordon
Deron Williams
Adam Morrison
Al Horford

A mixed bag indeed. Did Morrison warrant that high of a pick? Obviously, not unless he improves a great deal. However, is he is as good as the starting forward for the 2nd best team in the league (Vlad Radmonovic)? Probably.

Mostly, I would just like him to have more than one year of play before calling him a bust. A freak injury shouldn't count against you. If it becomes a trend, then I understand it.

mendiant
06-18-2008, 06:47 PM
Go Adam!!!

I Believe!!!

love,
mendiant

ZagNut08
06-18-2008, 09:28 PM
Also, it is important to keep in mind how weak a draft class that was. It was not like he was taken before many great players

thespywhozaggedme
06-18-2008, 09:34 PM
I was working in Mesa, Arizona at the time of the 1984 NBA Draft. The next day, a sportwriter from the Mesa Tribune said in an article that John Stockton was a pick that the Jazz would regret for years to come. I won't repeat the writer's name, although I wish I would have saved that article. Maybe the Ammo detractors will eat their words too. I hope so.

Why not? That's kind of silly to intentionally make something mysterious when the guy's a public figure. Who was it?

Zagpower
06-19-2008, 06:02 AM
John Stockton's first season

5.6 Points
5.1 Assists
18% 3-point %

John's 3-point % his first three years

18.2 %
13.3 %
18.4 %

He ended his career as a 38% 3-point shooter. Good thing nobody gave up on him after his first year.

ZagManFan
06-19-2008, 07:30 AM
I have to admit that it would be cool to see Adam Morrison and Rodney Stuckey playing for the same team. I would certainly make an effort to tune into more Piston games......

That would be fun to watch. Then we just need a Pistons/Lakers matchup in the finals and all is complete.:D

finechina2003
06-19-2008, 12:56 PM
The big difference between Adam entering the NBA and Stockton entering the NBA is EXPECTATIONS. When John was selected in 1984 by the Jazz, he was selected with the expectation of being a backup point guard to Ricky Green and slowly mature to the starting role. Ricky Green was an NBA allstar the year that Stockton was drafted and led the league in steals. John was able to come into the league and slowly develop and learn. Adam had the expectation of being an impact player from day one.