PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee game date and time set

theothegreat21
06-17-2008, 03:30 PM
http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2008/jun/17/gonzaga-memphis-game-days-set/

It appears we will be playing Tennessee, January 7th, so right before conference play. I love the date of this game, especially if we can get Memphis during the middle of conference play

BroncoZAG615
06-17-2008, 03:35 PM
Tennessee will be featuring very late commit Emmanuel Negedu, one of the best power forwards in the 2008 class.

Negedu decided to jump off Arizona's sinking ship and go elsewhere.

I love the Tennessee-Gonzaga series, definitely my favorite, what a win it would be if we could steal one there.

CDC84
06-17-2008, 04:01 PM
What's crazy is that Gonzaga and Tennessee might be playing each other two times next season.....it will all depend on how the Old Spice Classic shakes out.

MississppiZag
06-17-2008, 04:16 PM
I would not call it a steal, even though it will be in Knoxville. We should be the favorites. Negedu is not exactly a top recruit, he is just getting recognition due to his late commitment. He is undersized and i have been told that while he is a good low post scorer, he can't create for himself. They lost five key pieces:Lofton, R. Smith, J. Smith, Crews, and Howell. I am pretty sure that we will win that one. They have good potential, but i see a big win for the Zags.

I really think the only games we can and might lose are: Memphis, UCONN, one in the Old Spice Classic, and one in conference. Don't get me wrong we could lose two in the classic and in the conference, but all in all i see us going something like 27-5 and winning the conference and being a 2-3 seed in the tourney.

MontanaZag
06-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Amen brother

thespywhozaggedme
06-17-2008, 08:11 PM
Knoxville is a 3 hour drive from my house, so if I'm in town I will be there in my brand new Gonzaga hoodie that Mrs. Spy got me for my b'day last week. Anyone know how I can get a ticket, btw?

BroncoZAG615
06-17-2008, 08:26 PM
I would not call it a steal, even though it will be in Knoxville. We should be the favorites. Negedu is not exactly a top recruit, he is just getting recognition due to his late commitment. He is undersized and i have been told that while he is a good low post scorer, he can't create for himself. They lost five key pieces:Lofton, R. Smith, J. Smith, Crews, and Howell. I am pretty sure that we will win that one. They have good potential, but i see a big win for the Zags.

I really think the only games we can and might lose are: Memphis, UCONN, one in the Old Spice Classic, and one in conference. Don't get me wrong we could lose two in the classic and in the conference, but all in all i see us going something like 27-5 and winning the conference and being a 2-3 seed in the tourney.

I generally consider top recruits to be players in the top 50. Negedu is a big time tweener but I think he will fit the bill at Tennessee so well because the Vols are used to playing small and athletic and getting up and down the court.

We might be catching Tennessee at the perfect time next year because with the recruiting class they pulled in this year they are going to be dangerous down the road. Scotty Hopson has skyrocketed.

Steal may have been a bad word to use but I do not see us cruising by the Vols whatsoever. Bruce Pearl will just simply not let that happen in the Volunteer state.

cjm720
06-18-2008, 07:44 AM
Steal may have been a bad word to use but I do not see us cruising by the Vols whatsoever. Bruce Pearl will just simply not let that happen in the Volunteer state.

Exactly, Pearl's developed his program to win. He does this with relentless practices and ruthelss defense. This will be a challenge for the Zags and we better be ready. It would be a huge win - on the road and would provide momentum heading into conference play.

CDC84
06-18-2008, 10:32 AM
The way GU's guards turned the ball over last season, any game versus Tennessee is a headache waiting to happen. The Vols may not be quite as good this year, but that won't stop Pearl's players from pressing all game long and playing as hard as possible.

Loftonfor3
06-20-2008, 03:59 PM
BUMP

FYI: This isn't to flame, just to update. Tenn will likely move into the preseason top 10 for next year as they already have in a few polls.

Additions:

Bobby Maze-PG-JUCO All American
Daniel West-PG-***
Emmanuel Negedu as already mentioned-PF-40th best player in 2008-****
Scotty Hopson-SG-5th best player in 2008-*****
Phillip Jurick-C-68th best player in 2008-****
Renaldo Woolridge-SF-53rd best player in 2008-****

Returners:

Tyler Smith
J.P. Prince
Cameron Tatum-medical redshirt last year
Wayne Chism
Brian Williams
Ryan Childress
Josh Tabb

Losses:
Chris Lofton-Hopson, Cameron, and Renaldo can fill his shoe (not really gonna miss this guy)
Jajuan Smith-Hopson Cameron, and Renaldo can fill his shoe(miss him as well)
Ramar Smith-Maze will make us all much more happy:D (kicked off for drugs)
Duke Crews-Chism has much more upside than Crews and now we have Negedu(kicked off for drugs)
Jordan Howell-Maze anyone??????

The last piece:

Tenn has won 32 games in a row at home

MickMick
06-20-2008, 05:09 PM
The way GU's guards turned the ball over last season, any game versus Tennessee is a headache waiting to happen. The Vols may not be quite as good this year, but that won't stop Pearl's players from pressing all game long and playing as hard as possible.

This is the game where Meech proves his big value to the Zags. Hand slapping is not an answer for great speed. They may give Matt fits, but I look for Meech to blow by them....finding Austin at the top of the key or Josh down low.

Meech! Meech! Meech! Turn em' loose in this game coach ;)

bigblahla
06-20-2008, 05:52 PM
MickMick hit the nail on the head. Speed kills and it's about time we end someone elses home winning streak. In 08-09 it's take no prisoners time.

Go!! Zags!!!