PDA

View Full Version : Early odds

MDABE80
06-15-2008, 11:40 AM
http://www.bodoglife.com/sports-betting/basketball-futures.jsp

Just A Zag
06-15-2008, 12:21 PM
hmm, davidson has a better shot than us? ok...

MickMick
06-15-2008, 12:27 PM
hmm, davidson has a better shot than us? ok...

Why not? They beat the Zags...didn't they?

We fans need to collectively stay grounded. Forget all the other stuff. The WCC will not be a cakewalk.

Rangerzag
06-15-2008, 05:18 PM
I see it as an investment opportunity ;)

pbriz
06-15-2008, 05:30 PM
I think the biggest shocker was St. Mary's at 200 to 1.

I may put five on them for the small chance that it gets turned into 1000.

75Zag
06-16-2008, 02:41 PM
For those of you who are insulted by the 50:1 early odds on GU winning the national championship, I will give you 10:1 odds. Cash only please.

thebigsmoove
06-16-2008, 03:04 PM
Lol...i dont mind the 50:1 odds in the least, let us be an underdog, we all know how that turns out for us usually, Elite 8 anyone? Final 4??? I think its high time we take a look at this team and realize it is far more talented than any team in Gonzaga History, Heytvelt, Pargo, Downs, Daye, Gray, and Bouldin all have a legitimate shot to be professional basketball players, whether thats in the NBA, Europe or the NBDL remains to be seen...

Just A Zag
06-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Why not? They beat the Zags...didn't they?

We fans need to collectively stay grounded. Forget all the other stuff. The WCC will not be a cakewalk.

I think I'm pretty grounded. Grounded in the belief that we will be a far better team than Davidson next year. I mean that's like saying because we beat UNC 2 years ago the next year we should have had better odds at the ship. And you are right, the WCC will not be a cakewalk. But what does that have to do with odds in march. Like are we not going to the big dance?

Reborn
06-16-2008, 04:15 PM
I like the 50-1 odds. For once in a long while I am NOT going to start out this season with high expectations. I am starting with low ones. The 50-1 odds will help me stay grounded. On paper, last June I allowed my expectations to soar. On paper, last year we looked really, really good. Pendo's Senior year. Kuso being a Senior. The Freshmen were highly touted. Josh coming back. Look what happened.

ON PAPER we look good again. I think it is now time for the Zags to step up and begin to show the qualities that made the Zags a household name across North America. I think a whole lot of guys need to begin to "walk their talk." And I sincerely hope that I begin to hear that they are on campus and practicing togther, bonding. So far I haven't heard a single word about that. And frankly I've been disappointed.

MickMick
06-16-2008, 04:20 PM
I think I'm pretty grounded. Grounded in the belief that we will be a far better team than Davidson next year. I mean that's like saying because we beat UNC 2 years ago the next year we should have had better odds at the ship. And you are right, the WCC will not be a cakewalk. But what does that have to do with odds in march. Like are we not going to the big dance?

I am as big of a Zag fan as they come. I don't share the belief that Gonzaga will be "far better" than Davidson next year.

What were the results of Gonzaga's last two games?

Loss to Davidson
Loss to San Diego

Not close losses. Not "the refs blowing a call" losses. Not "last second shot" losses.

No flukes.....Just losses.

And people are thinking the Zags are a "shoe in" for pre season top 5.

That is why I say stay grounded. There is a very real chance the Zags don't make the big dance. It is not out of the realm of possibility.

75Zag
06-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Yes the Zags are wonderful. God's team is what I call them. But the upcoming year will offer no new "franchise players" coming to GU, and the team will be relying on pretty much the same guys who provided us with two consecutive one-and-done appearances in the NCAA tournament.

Perhaps the individual improvements of each individual player at GU will offset the McDonald's All American players that are being added to other NCAA teams, such that GU will rocket to the top of the NCAA. My heart says yes, my brain (and wallet) says no.

MississppiZag
06-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Your crazy. Who is going to beat us. Remember your going to have atleast ten teams that will beat us for us not to make it to the dance.. We will at the maximum, lose 6-7 games, and that's with some very questionable losses. That's the dumbest thing i have heard in a while. Sorry that is just sad and pathetic. Can't believe you think there is a chance we won't make it. That blows my mind. Only teams i can see us losing to are Memphis, UCONN, Tennessee, one at the most in the Old spice classic, and maybe two in the conference, maybe one more(fluke). Seriously if you can show me a scenario where we lose in between 9-11 games , i will believe you. Until then i'm looking forward to GU showing you why they are preseason top 10. Sweet 16 for sure, elite 8 maybe

75Zag
06-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Mississippi, you have won me over. I now agree that the Zags should be at 1:1 odds for winning the 2009 NCAA championship.

Now we need to turn our attention on how you get your money to my account to confirm our new understanding and your wager. Hopefully - given your screen name - you are related to various fortunes from tobacco, rice, cotton, riverboat gambling, etc. I will waive my normal upper limit on gambling to accommodate your wager. I assume we will start at a million or more?

MississppiZag
06-16-2008, 05:37 PM
Who said National Championship? Can you read?

MississppiZag
06-16-2008, 05:42 PM
Don't believe Kansas had any All Americans? I think they played pretty well.:confused:

75Zag
06-16-2008, 06:07 PM
Hello Mississippi

The whole point of this thread - please refer to first post - is to discuss the proper Las Vegas odds on GU winning the NCAA national championship in 2009. Early posters were offended by the 50:1 odds that Vegas posted. GU fans argue that GU should be given more respect. I suggest that odds are whatever you can get. As a loyal GU alum I am just offering a friendly home for those many, many fans on this forum who would like to wager a few thousand dollars that GU will win the NCAA championship in 2009, but who refuse to be insulted by 50:1 odds. As a loyal GU alum, I am generously offering 1:1 odds for those who want to show their support for GU.

Go Zags!

Zag79
06-16-2008, 06:49 PM
think I'm pretty grounded. Grounded in the belief that we will be a far better team than Davidson next year. I mean that's like saying because we beat UNC 2 years ago the next year we should have had better odds at the ship.

we have a winner! davidson was not the better team overall, they were for that game. davidson wasnt the better team when they played gtown either. thats what makes march so neat. teams who are not as good or talented coming together to defeat those that are. yes it s a L straight up, but no way will they be better than GU this season. sorry to get off track but i had to agree.

zagsfanforlife
06-16-2008, 06:50 PM
I am as big of a Zag fan as they come. I don't share the belief that Gonzaga will be "far better" than Davidson next year.

Loss to Davidson
Loss to San Diego

Not close losses. Not "the refs blowing a call" losses. Not "last second shot" losses.

That is why I say stay grounded. There is a very real chance the Zags don't make the big dance. It is not out of the realm of possibility.

Not a very good chance that we wont make the big dance. Way too much talent coming back. I believe even if this team has some fluke injury (i.e. Heytfelt last year), they have the depth to sustain a high level of basketball and certainly make the Big Dance.

Scotto
06-16-2008, 06:58 PM
UNC at 4 to 1 is a steal right now. It's only going to drop as we approach basketball season. Bet the farm!

Just A Zag
06-16-2008, 09:04 PM

Loss to Davidson
Loss to San Diego

I still don't know your huge fascination with the past. It was last season. I don't believe Gonzaga is a shoe in for top 5 but they are definitely a good enough team on paper to be mentioned. Your pessimism goes too far in my opinion. Every year Gonzaga has a real chance to not make the dance. But with this years team coming back (for the most part) and a year of presumed maturity and growth, I am just not on board with not being a little too excited. But you are right, nothing is really out of the realm of possibility.

p.s. I know you are just as big of a fan as anybody so don't take these words as nothing more then me stating what I think. Sometimes this board gets a little carried away personally, and I don't mean it like that.

MickMick
07-15-2008, 08:18 PM
Not a very good chance that we wont make the big dance. Way too much talent coming back. I believe even if this team has some fluke injury (i.e. Heytfelt last year), they have the depth to sustain a high level of basketball and certainly make the Big Dance.

I guess we will see.

Nevtelen
07-15-2008, 09:11 PM
I think that with the talent we currently are sure will be playing in a GU uniform next season, GU has a pretty good chance of getting to the Big Dance but a pretty bad chance of making the second weekend. The strength of sched is high enough that even with a few unexpected losses to some of the teams on the schedule, the team would get an at-large if they don't win the WCC (and, yes, I realize this is insanely early speculation).

HOWEVER, I do see what (I believe) MickMick is saying (don't want to put words in his mouth) and I mostly agree with him - yes, this team is pretty strong on paper, but, really, what have they actually accomplished together on the court? Since the UConn game, very little in terms of real results against quality competition. People are counting on so many what-ifs to make this a great team - Josh needs to get back to where he was, Sacre needs to improve, Micah needs to step up big now, Pargo needs to continue his evolution at PG, etc, etc. If all these fantastic improvements being hoped for don't materialize (which could easily happen) or the players just never really gel, this team could *easily* be the weakest GU squad in a decade.

Not only that, but the team is only 1 injury to a big man away from having a possibly abyssmal season. With Austin out, what would happen if Josh doesn't recover 100% (let alone if he gets reinjured)? Nothing good, that's for sure.

Just A Zag
07-15-2008, 09:33 PM
we suck and are doomed

TimZag
07-15-2008, 10:15 PM
If all these fantastic improvements being hoped for don't materialize (which could easily happen) or the players just never really gel, this team could *easily* be the weakest GU squad in a decade.

:lmao:

MississppiZag
07-16-2008, 03:19 AM
You do realize that this is a top 10 team with Daye, and assuming his leg did not fall off, he will be back for the tournament.

Not making the tourney, don't kid yourself. Funny though.:lmao:

Nevtelen
07-16-2008, 06:25 AM
You do realize that this is a top 10 team with Daye, and assuming his leg did not fall off, he will be back for the tournament.

Not making the tourney, don't kid yourself. Funny though.:lmao:

I really don't think that it can be assumed that Daye will be back for the tourney. Even if he is, he'll be missing very significant time with respect to becoming a part of the team and that's without the psychological effects of still perhaps not totally trusting that knee. I just don't think anyone should plan on Austin necessarily making significant contributions next season. His position and the Zags dearth of bigs makes that doubly problematic.

cjm720
07-16-2008, 07:12 AM
Making the tournament is a privlege not a right. We have to earn it. We're on the bubble if we have more than 7 losses and don't win the auto-bid. That's the fact being affiliated with a weak conference.

MickMick
12-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Nevtelen was spot on.

People are counting on so many what-ifs to make this a great team - Josh needs to get back to where he was, Sacre needs to improve, Micah needs to step up big now, Pargo needs to continue his evolution at PG, etc, etc. If all these fantastic improvements being hoped for don't materialize (which could easily happen) or the players just never really gel, this team could *easily* be the weakest GU squad in a decade.

Bump