PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga Non-Conference Schedule 2008-09

TheSpokaneClan
06-14-2008, 08:32 PM
I haven't been on here for awhile but I was wondering what our non conf schedule looked like for next year.

What I do know :
Old Spice Classic (loaded next year)
vs. Indiana in Indianapolis

What I don't know:
Memphis again?
Whos the battle in seattle?

Please any info would help! Thanks a lot.

MickMick
06-14-2008, 09:17 PM
Going off the top of my head.....

Battle in Seattle is against UConn

Not sure about Memphis, but I think in Spokane Arena for another Ronald McDonald House benefit.

MississppiZag
06-15-2008, 05:23 AM
Washington State @Pullman Probably at the beginning of December
@Utah Dec.31
@Tennessee
Uconn- Battle in Seattle- Spokane Arena Dec.20
Memphis@ Spokane Arena Feb?
@Indiana Dec6
Potland State, Montana, Idaho, UC Riverside all possibly at K2

I've heard that LSU could be a College Gameday event as well as the Memphis

BobZag
06-15-2008, 09:17 AM
A real legit shot at a Gameday vs Memphis in Spokane Arena.

A possible Arizona game.

A possible four-team, two-day, two games tourney in K2.

I feel like I'm missing some.

Nevtelen
06-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Washington State @Pullman Probably at the beginning of December
@Utah Dec.31
@Tennessee
Uconn- Battle in Seattle- Spokane Arena Dec.20
Memphis@ Spokane Arena Feb?
@Indiana Dec6
Potland State, Montana, Idaho, UC Riverside all possibly at K2

I've heard that LSU could be a College Gameday event as well as the Memphis

Battle in Seattle is in Key Arena. Wouldn't quite work the same in the Spokane Arena. Just sayin'. ;)

I really wonder if we'll play Idaho this year after the new coach's 'only-home-and-home' ideas. My guess is he'll be disabused of the notion quickly and we'll play them anyway. I wouldn't mind if we didn't have to put up with their RPI drag on the schedule, but whatever.

We've been playing Portland State for a few years, too (just a scrimmage last season, though) - perhaps them, also at some point.

Is the Riverside just your assumption, or do you have info about it? I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Big West or one of the better Big Sky teams, but I don't know why we'd specifically play Riverside again.

One would hope that there is something in the works to get Pargo a home game, but who knows.

Rangerzag
06-15-2008, 09:46 AM
You can look here (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=12534&highlight=schedule)

I figure it should be stuck to the top of the forum.

everybodycougsit
06-15-2008, 10:27 AM
what happened to possible LSU matchup?

CDC84
06-15-2008, 04:58 PM
The LSU matchup is still possible. I'm not sure where ESPN is with this college basketball "opening day" thing that they are supposed to be putting together.

brian_sun
06-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Now that Pargo is coming back, maybe Few can go for a tougher schedule to pop up the RPI by the end of the season.

MississppiZag
06-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Kind of late for that. Scout said the schedules should be complete by the middle of July, except for tiny details, such as times and specific dates. The only adjustments we could see would be the LSU game and the inclusion of a couple of home games.

NEZAGFAN
06-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Now that Pargo is coming back, maybe Few can go for a tougher schedule to pop up the RPI by the end of the season.

No offense but I think UConn, Memphis, Tenn, Washington St., and the Old Spice Classic is plenty tough already..

cjm720
06-16-2008, 01:04 PM
No offense but I think UConn, Memphis, Tenn, Washington St., and the Old Spice Classic is plenty tough already..

That's only 5 quality non-conference games guaranteed. (The Old Spice is loaded and no game is a gimme). I'd like to add a couple more quality teams - ideally Pac-10 schools. Particularly, it would be great to see a long-term Gonzaga-Stanford series begin.

It seems plausible that we could add another game or two before the season starts, right? I want to say the Stanford game two years ago was in the middle of conference play because it was a late edition to the schedule, but I could be wrong.

GO ZAGS!

Reborn
06-16-2008, 04:20 PM
I love the The Big East conference, and I'd love to see a game against West Virginia......I REALLY DO. I think it'd be a great match up.

Reborn
06-16-2008, 04:21 PM
I love the The Big East conference, and I'd love to see a game against West Virginia......I REALLY DO. I think it'd be a great match up. Didn't we used to play Cincinnatti when Huggins was there?

zag70
06-16-2008, 07:20 PM
Don't we play St Joes at home this season?

CDC84
06-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Don't we play St Joes at home this season?

The series is over, for now......I suspect the two teams will pick it up again once St. Joe's gym gets fully renovated.

The game at Utah is going to be tough. The Utes have knocked out several top 10 opponents over the years on campus. It wouldn't shock me to see all 15,000 seats sold out as the Utes figure to have a good team this year. GU might also be highly ranked going into their place.

mnzag24
06-17-2008, 08:58 AM
I love the The Big East conference, and I'd love to see a game against West Virginia......I REALLY DO. I think it'd be a great match up.

not as much anymore as Alexander has stayed in the draft. I'm pulling for a marquette match-up at marquette, since i'll be there for law school!

TheSpokaneClan
06-17-2008, 09:23 PM
Oh God I don't know what I would do if there was a Marquette vs. Gonzaga game at Marquette. I would cry tears of joy (since I live in Milwaukee and have season tix to MU)

However, Marquette usually plays a terrible non-conf schedule, so I doubt it will play out.

MDABE80
06-17-2008, 09:25 PM
New coach....never know...things change;)

exiledhusky
06-17-2008, 11:35 PM
I haven't been on here for awhile but I was wondering what our non conf schedule looked like for next year.

What I do know :
Old Spice Classic (loaded next year)
vs. Indiana in Indianapolis

What I don't know:
Memphis again?
Whos the battle in seattle?

Please any info would help! Thanks a lot.

Have you seen the roster for Indiana next year? Definite drag on Gonzaga's RPI. The promoters should do Indiana and the NCAA a favor and let them opt out.

Memphis is here. UConn is in Seattle.

exiledhusky
06-17-2008, 11:39 PM

You know, playing Huggins and WV would actually be a very good game for Gonzaga. Huggy doesn't preach physical play, he lives by it.

229SintoZag
06-18-2008, 08:50 AM
Or are we looking at a total of zero quality OOC opponents in K2 this year?

Am I missing something?

If not, it looks like we will have a total of 1 quality OOC game at K2 in two seasons (WSU last year). And getting the Cougs to drive an hour and a half up from the Palouse isn't exactly a coup.

This. Needs. To. Improve. Many season ticket holders I know are too polite to complaint, but I know I am not alone in speaking up on this issue.

Zag79
06-18-2008, 04:35 PM
i complain. u better believe i want better games at home for my money.

MickMick
06-18-2008, 05:38 PM
Quality games in K2 must typically come from within the WCC. It is just the way it is. This season shouldn't disappoint.

Every once in awhile a good BCS opponent may visit, but I wouldn't habitually expect it.

2011Zag
06-18-2008, 08:42 PM
229 I cannot agree with you more. During the season there were many people here that were unhappy with the current state of the Kennel Club and as spoiled as it may sound, it is hard to get up for UC Riverside game or Idaho when the game is over by halftime. I agree the KC needs some reform but the easiest way for improvement is to have some big games in the MAC.

zagzilla
06-18-2008, 09:14 PM
The good news is that the OOC has at least 3 pre-season Top 25 teams-U Conn, Memphis and Tennessee as well as some big names like Utah, Indiana and Wazzu who may or may not play up to their reputations.

However, do not forget that the WCC schedule has 4 games vs. SMC and USD who are potential Top 25 teams so our RPI should be fine as long as we win those games. Last year, we never really got a big win to hang our hats on in the OOC. UConn/St. Joe's sweep looked better as the season went on but we need to beat 2 or 3 Top 25 teams and win the WCC out right to avoid putting ourselves at the mercy of the committee (i.e. road game at another ranked team in round 1)

I'd love to see LSU or another Pac 10 team but I'm not holding my breath.

Also does anybody have the invite list for Old Spice? Haven't seen it anywhere yet.

See you at the BIS in December!

TheSpokaneClan
06-18-2008, 10:30 PM
Old Spice Classic: Tennessee, Michigan State, Maryland, Oklahoma State, Siena (returns all 5 starters from a team that won a first round game), Georgetown, Wichita State, and Gonzaga.

sittingon50
06-18-2008, 10:31 PM
1. Georgetown
2. Gonzaga
3. Maryland
4. Michigan State
5. Oklahoma State
6. Siena
7.Tennessee
8. Wichita State