PDA

View Full Version : Burton Takes in Corvallis..Rivals Article

NEZAGFAN
06-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Joe Burton is definitely a unique talent. At a robust 6-foot-7, 270-pounds, he certainly takes up plenty of real estate in the lane and does damange in the paint and on the boards. But the Hemet (CA) West Valley post isn't just a football player masquerading as a hoopster. Burton is a skilled big man and the Beavers are trying their best to stay fresh in his mind on the recruiting trail.

Burton considers the Beavers high on his list, but isn't ready to make the call yet.
[Currently, Burton is playing with an all-star outfit called Team Reebok USA that is competing at the Rose City Showcase in Portland. His selection to the team comes off a stellar spring where he was able to show off his skills at a high level.

"It's been going good," Burton said. "I've been getting up and down the court and my all-around game is coming along good. I'm trying to improve my mid-range shot and I've been putting in the work."

If you want an image of how Burton plays, envision Kevin Love about two inches shorter or for you old-school folks, hall-of-famer Wes Unseld. Burton understands positioning to grab rebounds, but has the ability to snare a board and immediately turn around and throw an accurate outlet pass. He also has abnormal ball-handling ability for a young man his size, and it's allowed him to pick up fans from many college programs.

The majority of calls to Burton have gone through his step-father, an assistant junior college coach, but Burton is well aware of who's interested and has an impressive list of schools.

"I'm hearing from Marquette, Villanova, Florida, Arizona, and Oregon called the other day," Burton said. "Also, San Diego State, Utah, Gonzaga, Oregon State, and Utah. I've gotten offers from Marquette, Utah, Gonzaga, San Diego State, Peppedine, Central Florida, and Oregon State."

Burton notes that he's pretty open with his choices at the moment, but does admit that Utah holds some allure since that's where his father lives.

"I'm open, but my coach and my family keep telling me to narrow it down, so that's what I'm trying to do," Burton said. "First of all, I want to graduate and second, I would like good coaching. Also when I am going to start - I'd like playing time - and where I'm going to touch the ball. I also want to be around people who like to have fun."

Oregon State has been one of the many schools on Burton's list, and the Beavers got a chance to impress the big man on a recent unofficial visit.

"It went great," Burton said. "We toured the campus, saw the gym, and visited with the coaches in their offices. They've got a pretty nice setup. I like how, not small, but compact the campus is - you don't have to go all over the place to travel, it's all right there. And I was impressed with the workout facilities - they have a lot of new stuff and things that are being built, like a new basketball workout center where the Beavers will practice."

With such an extensive litany of schools, was Oregon State able to get Burton thinking more about the Beavers?

"They were always high on my list, but now they've moved up a little bit more," Burton said. "I'm taking it into consideration about probably going there."

Burton will be playing with Team Reebok USA the rest of this weekend along with fellow Beaver-recruit Xavier Thames.

Stay tuned to BeaverBlitz.com to see if Oregon State can stay on Burton's short list.

All three can be found in Spokane.

MississppiZag
06-14-2008, 02:29 PM
Well i guess all of our big man prospects are going to go to Oregon State. Burton, Stover, and Bak have all expressed interest this week. Why don't we ever have reports on recruits on our websites. It seems like every team is interviewing and talking to recruits, except us. Will we be talking to some of our big men in the next couple of weeks? I just don't want Few to get to far behind. I'm sure he knows what he is doing. I'm just a curious fan.

ZagNative
06-14-2008, 02:55 PM
"I'm open, but my coach and my family keep telling me to narrow it down, so that's what I'm trying to do," Burton said. "First of all, I want to graduate and second, I would like good coaching. Also when I am going to start - I'd like playing time - and where I'm going to touch the ball. I also want to be around people who like to have fun."[/B]

Funnily enough, I was just watching the Youtube of the post-game press conference (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gu2FqVYDY0) after the Zags' first-round game in the NCAA tournament from March 21, 2008, and was surprised to see who the Zags chose to answer questions from the media, along with Jeremy Pargo and Coach Few:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Steven%20Gray/2008-03-21-aStevenDavidsonpost-game.jpg

Coming off an early season broken wrist, this young freshman, Steven Gray, not only got lots of playing time but started most games and definitely got the nation's attention in the Zag's tenth straight NCAA tournament bid, a record matched by only seven other schools in the 2008 tournament field. (Oregon State, during that time, hasn't made the Dance once. It would take a huge leap of faith to think the new coach will break that streak his first year in Corvallis. After all, he didn't spend the last 16 years at Gonzaga, like Bill Grier did.)

Warning: The announcer uses the "Gun-zah-gah" word in the linked Youtube video. That part's over pretty quickly, and then I was proud of the maturity shown by both our players and the usual excellent performance by Coach Few.

We'll see if young Mr. Burton is good enough to suit up with the likes of Steven Gray. ;)

dnj116
06-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Gotta say i'm a bit dissapointed. I had high hopes of picking up burton. we are in dire need of a strong big man like him. someone sorta like batista. when i was a freshman we had violette, turiaf, etc. where did our recruiting go for these solid big men?

ZagNative
06-14-2008, 03:30 PM
People, people, people! Can we please act like we've been there before?

Maybe get a guboards valium group rate? Still waiting for that Cinderalla slipper to drop?

Just because we don't know here what's going on doesn't mean great things aren't happening behind the scenes. Chill!

Meech didn't commit until October last year. Grant committed mid-July. The staff will get the best players available to fit within the Zags' system, and Burton may or may not turn out to be in the mix.

I am far, far from being worried. What we are seeing here is a classic case of an over-watched kettle not boiling.

NEZAGFAN
06-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Gotta say i'm a bit dissapointed. I had high hopes of picking up burton. we are in dire need of a strong big man like him. someone sorta like batista. when i was a freshman we had violette, turiaf, etc. where did our recruiting go for these solid big men?

Don't worry my friend, the staff will land the big were looking for soon. We have many available options with the likes of Burton, Dower, Bak, and possibly Stover. I am confident the staff will land at least one if not two of these guys.

spudzag
06-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Yesterday it was Stover who was seriously interested in OSU. And he was going to talk to Bak Bak about it.

Let's take a deep breath, they are not all headed to OSU. Other than the coach's personality and a chance to play early on OSU doesn't have much to offer. Their gym is really really TERRIBLE and they are going to get kicked around the PAC-10 for years to come. Best case scenerio they get in the top half of the league in 3-4 years and maybe make it to the dance once. I can take being aced out by UCLA but OSU, please.

I think we are hearing the thoughts of a 17 year old leaving a campus after a couple days of coddling. I think Few has much more to offer.

BobZag
06-14-2008, 04:49 PM
Zags are sittin' pretty. You have to take non-neutral/bias/slanted interviews with leading questions with grains of salt. Few wants two big men. He'll get them.

Patience, young Jedis.