PDA

View Full Version : ESPN 360 in Spokane

Spokanicoug
06-14-2008, 11:35 AM
During BB season, someone had posted a way you could 'fake' your way into getting ESPN 360 online.

Does anyone remember how to do this or recall the thread?

haMarlin
06-14-2008, 01:44 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/espn360/index

75Zag
06-14-2008, 05:31 PM
ESPN360 appears to have changed their technology. None of my old back door access portals continue to work, and a quick check of the usual blog sites does not lead to any new access points. Here at cheapskate central we are working to find a (legal) solution to this problem before the start of the 08-09 season, as no doubt a couple GU games will again be on the 360.

Meanwhile, I found this interesting note in the Wikpedia post regarding ESPN360.

Beginning in 2008, ESPN360.com is also offered free to all high-speed college (.edu) and U.S. military (.mil) IP addresses.

If one of you is using a GU web server to access the Internet, I would be interested to know if you can get ESPN360 directly.

BoZarth
06-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Their High Speed Internet or better yet Fios (Fiber Optics) includes ESPN 360 (free).

My Fios speed is 15/2. Awesome for watching streaming video and that's not even the fastest speed available.

Spokanicoug
06-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Their High Speed Internet or better yet Fios (Fiber Optics) includes ESPN 360 (free).

My Fios speed is 15/2. Awesome for watching streaming video and that's not even the fastest speed available.

Thanks, Bo. Im intriqued. Do you have the fios here in town? What do you meant by 15/2 speed?

thebigsmoove
06-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Speaking as a networking technician, He means 15 Mbps download and 2 mbps upload speed, i have 10 mbps download and 1 mbps upload where i am...

Download refers to the ability of the network to send information downstream on fiber, and upload refers to the networks ability to send information upstream on fiber. the faster the speed the faster your connection to the internet and smoother your video or music will stream online.

fyi- For you dial up customers the fastest your speed would ever be is 56kbps which in comparison to 15 mbps is about 267 times slower, or for you DSL customers out there most DSL connections can only get up to 6mbps, with the average customer having between a 1.5mbps connection which is roughly 10 times slower than cable.

So for those of you out there who dont have cable internet, unless your in your twilight years and only use internet for email and this forum, then i strongly recommend improving your online experience with cable internet, you cant get faster, well unless you work somewhere with a T1 or T3 connection, in which case i doubt your reading this right now anyways, lol.

MBZags
06-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Beginning in 2008, ESPN360.com is also offered free to all high-speed college (.edu) and U.S. military (.mil) IP addresses.

If one of you is using a GU web server to access the Internet, I would be interested to know if you can get ESPN360 directly.

We can't. I tried earlier this year.

Birddog
06-15-2008, 07:00 PM
So for those of you out there who dont have cable internet, unless your in your twilight years and only use internet for email and this forum, then i strongly recommend improving your online experience with cable internet, you cant get faster, well unless you work somewhere with a T1 or T3 connection, in which case i doubt your reading this right now anyways, lol.

I'm a complete noob in terms of Internet stuff, but If I understand it correctly, here in this area, that is only partially true. If you had fiber to your house, then you'd be correct, but in this area, the fiber stops out in your yard if you have it there. The coax line to your house is where it gets bogged down. In my area, phone DSL users, usually have better speeds than cable on the whole. I've been told, that in both cases (DSL and cable) the more users in the area, the slower the speeds you will experience. YMMV.
Last year the cable co came through my area and put in new fiber all along the subdivision but didn't replace any lines to the house, they are all 25 yr old coax, and therein lies the rub.

BoZarth
06-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Great explanation by bigsmoove.

Spokanicoug it all depends if Verizon is able to serve your area. Unfortunately, companies like Verizon are still considered telephone companies and not entertainment. Verizon's Fiber Optics is connected directly to your home for phone, internet and TV. With Fiber there's no need to shrink HD programming like cable or satellite and the greater bandwith allows for faster speeds and better quality.

I live in Western Washington and currently have Fios internet. I've been told TV service will be available in August. Just in time for Fall sports.

For us consumers the government needs to allow companies like Verizon greater access to customers. That would give us all more choices when it comes to internet and TV.

MDABE80
06-15-2008, 11:15 PM
It's fine in S Cal. The problem for me is the Spokane house and comcast.which owns the city services. So .....given that many live in Spokane, how do we find our way to ESPN 360 in Spokane?!?!?!?! Quest is the phone service. Speak up those of you who know!!!

Once and Future Zag
06-16-2008, 07:00 AM

If this is true - then I'd see if you can get your alumni email address set up for any actual former Zags - as that has the gonzaga.edu email address domain.

I had mine set up very recently, and rediscovered a bunch of old ca. 2000 spam emails I hadn't deleted before the account was put on standby.

75Zag
06-16-2008, 09:06 AM
I am not a top level tech guy, but having a GU email address is not the solution. The ESPN360 server checks your originating IP address and either accepts or rejects your incoming service request based upon whether you are sending from a "participating" IP address (Comcast being a non-participating IP address). There are ways to "spoof" your IP address (not all of which are legal, and I am not advocating the illegal methods). We here at cheapskate labs are continuing to work on this. Meanwhile, if anybody on the GU campus right now can tell me whether you get service at www.espn360.com or whether you merely get the login screen, I would appreciate it.