PDA

View Full Version : Bainbridge 63 North Thurston 29

SageOfZagville
03-07-2007, 10:39 PM
Gray with 14 points in the blowout win.

They held North Thurston scoreless in the first half.

21-0 at the half. A case of nerves?

Tomorrow Bellevue

VinnyZag
03-07-2007, 11:03 PM
It wasn't so much that Bainbridge held NT scoreless. It was that North Thurston went into the ol' Villanova offense, hoping to stall their way into a big upset. It was 32-2 at one point in the third quarter.

bulldogshawn
03-08-2007, 12:15 AM
Can you imagine the halftime speaches from each coaching staff?

Bainbridge: Great job with the defense so far guys, really doing an excellent job. Keep it up in the 2nd half and it doesn't matter how much we score, we'll win.

North Thurston: Good job on defense guys, really keeping them in a low scoring affair. Let's try to be a little more productive on the offensive end though.

23dpg
03-08-2007, 06:00 AM
HS Boys hoops needs a shot clock. I don't understand why it doesn't have one yet. It's the only type of BB that doesn't as far as I know.

Angelo Roncalli
03-08-2007, 07:19 AM
Gray: 14 pts and 9 boards in a little over a half of play:

http://www.kitsapsun.com/bsun/sp_preps/article/0,2666,BSUN_23496_5403279,00.html

CDC84
03-08-2007, 07:57 AM
They won't be easy...Bainbridge won an OT nailbiter last time against those guys.

BobZag
03-08-2007, 09:00 AM
If the girls have a shot clock, it makes no sense for the boys not to have one.

jonesed
03-08-2007, 09:31 AM
Wow. HS BBB still does not have a shot clock. The State of WA Athletics Yahoos have been chasing their tails on that one at LEAST since my Dad (yes. he's one of the Athletic Yahoos) started up as an AD back in '84. EIGHTY FOUR. I thought they were close when I was a Junior in '93 and just assumed it would get passed w/ in a couple years.

anyway, to read that is a surprise. great to hear about WA hoops way out here in the Windy City. HS hoops is a different animal here. And yes Pargo is still held in high esteem.

holdin it down in chicago

Lydia

ZagDaddy
03-08-2007, 11:01 AM
HS Boys hoops needs a shot clock. I don't understand why it doesn't have one yet. It's the only type of BB that doesn't as far as I know.

I think most HS coaches would disagree. I'm glad as heck there wasn't one when I was coaching. It's hard enough to try and get kids to think the game and run the offense without a shot clock. Try and get them to do it with a shot clock ticking? Forget it!

Play and game understanding would degrade at all levels IMO if high school players weren't allowed to learn the game without one. For most players at that age the game moves very quickly for them already. Speeding it up would benefit the fans and not the players IMHO.

CDC84
03-08-2007, 11:22 AM
How about a 48 second shot clock then?

Part of learning the game is learning how do deal with situations when the shot clock is clicking down and a play has to be made. A 48 second clock would allow for more time, but keep the game looking like it does at higher levels. What are kids actually learning if a underdog high school team just sits with the ball for 2 minutes in an effort to bore the other team to death?

ZagDaddy
03-08-2007, 12:20 PM
That might be OK but I think teams holding the ball for an inordinate amount of time is a rare exception and not the rule. I think end of game situations provide ample opportunity to teach making a play as the clock is winding down.

Instituting a shot clock in HS would encourage more one on one play and I believe learning to play team ball is one of the greatest lessons kids learn in the HS game. It's an important life lesson that HS sports can and should teach.

Remember, far and away the majority of HS ballers will not play beyond HS. HS ball is a whole other beast than college or pro ball. I hate to see the line blurred between HS and college. I don't want high school to only be viewed as the college minor leagues. All student athlete's needs should be considered not just the rare college athlete, but that might just be me.

23dpg
03-08-2007, 01:41 PM
I think most HS coaches would disagree. I'm glad as heck there wasn't one when I was coaching. It's hard enough to try and get kids to think the game and run the offense without a shot clock. Try and get them to do it with a shot clock ticking? Forget it!

Play and game understanding would degrade at all levels IMO if high school players weren't allowed to learn the game without one. For most players at that age the game moves very quickly for them already. Speeding it up would benefit the fans and not the players IMHO.

ZagDaddy,

Then are girls just that much smarter than boys? They have a shot clock. The boys in HS are the ONLY level of basketball that don't employ a shot clock. We had a game down here in Oregon that had both teams scoring in the teens. The underdog just delayed all game until the end of the quarters. That is not basketball.

I respect your opinion, but I, along with most players and fans (I think) would disagree.

ZagDaddy
03-08-2007, 02:03 PM
ZagDaddy,

Then are girls just that much smarter than boys?

Everyone knows the answer to that question: Yes!

I don't know why your state did that but I know I've heard some are experimenting with it. I can see why you would want one and maybe a long one is a good compromise. Long enough to teach patience and team play but still there to prevent the occasional excruciating stall.

Cavebear33
03-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Having been involved with high school basketball on the local level, I can tell you the 30 second clock for the girls doesn't seem to affect the game that much. You really don't see it go off that often during the course of a game, if at all. Sometimes when a really good team is playing a weak squad that struggles on offense, it might come into play a little more. Most of the time it's not even something they worry about.

fedwayzag
03-08-2007, 06:57 PM
23dpg:

I would disagree. Holding the ball over an extended period of time is takes more basketball talent then run and gun. You have to have great fundamentals and disciple. I for one am very happy boys high school basketball does not have a shot clock.

23dpg
03-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Like I said before, I truly respect the dissenting opinion here. I see your points but think the positives of a shot clock out weigh the negatives. Thanks for your input.