PDA

View Full Version : Stover Looking Elsewhere?

NEZAGFAN
06-13-2008, 03:33 AM
Here is a new article on rivals about Anthony Stover, it doesn't even mention us as a team showing interest.

At a very long 6-foot-9 and 210-pounds, Anthony Stover certainly makes an impact on the defensive end.

But the Renaissance Academy in La Canada, California post also excels on the offensive end, with some nice passing and ball-handling skills for a big man which brings back old school memories of John Salley.

An injury cut short his spring a little, but Stover impressed enough during the April evaluation period to get much of the West Coast interested and other parts of the country intrigued.

"The spring went pretty well even though I dislocated my finger while playing in Kansas, so I was out for four-to-five weeks," Stover said. "But I'm not just getting back to playing with my high school team and AAU is coming up pretty quick again. I'm going to start off at NBA Top 100 camp and right when I come back I might be going to go play in France."

Before injuring his finger, Stover was performing well for Pump N Run at tournaments in Denver and Las vegas and plenty of college coaches were watching intently.

"Recruiting is going pretty good," Stover said. "There are different schools every other day and a lot more schools are popping up. I'm looking at the Pac-10 and Oregon State is at the top of the list, and then there's UCLA and Arizona. Outside the Pac-10, Boston College is up there, Marquette is interested, and Creighton has been talking to me a lot lately."

Stover noted that his offer list currently consists of Oregon State, Washington, Washington State, USC, and Stanford, and Arizona State could be close to offering. As indicated, the Beavers currently lead for his services and Stover went into more detail why.

"Their new coach, Coach (Craig) Robinson, he has been recruiting me since he was over at Brown," Stover said. "Everything is cool with him. He came down to watch me practice and I really like talking to him. They're also recruiting two of my (AAU) teammates, Bak Bak and Keegan Hornbuckle, and trying to get all three of us together."

"I'm going up there (on an unofficial visit) on Monday and I want to see what the campus is like," Stover continued. "And while school is out so I can't see campus life, I want to see how the area is and see the facilities."

Stover is still getting a closer look at all the schools recruiting him to see if they have what it takes to remain on his short list.

"I want to major in business or economics, so that's big," Stover said. "Also, I want to come in and start playing right away and get good playing time as a freshman. I also want to play in the NCAA Tournament."

Don't look for Stover to make any rash decisions. He's taking his time investigating all of his options and will be sure to look in every nook and cranny before finalizing anything.

"I'm probably signing right around letter-of-intent day (in the fall)," Stover said. "I want to take all my visits."

BeaverBlitz.com plans on touching base with Stover after his unofficial visit so be sure to stay tuned.

MississppiZag
06-13-2008, 04:18 AM
I really hope that they don't get Bak. I feel like he will be a great fit to our team, and bring something to our team that we have been lacking(a long athletic power forward, who can dominate on D). Why is no one talking about visits with us or our camps. I have noticed that most teams are having camps at the same time we are. Is that going to take away some of our top recruits that we are looking at?

Honeycutt is going to UCLA and Minnesota is having a camp at the same time- Dower might be going to that. I hope Bak and Burton, as well as Hill come along with others. The camp would be a great way to get the attention of some of our top recruit prospects.

I scratched Stover off our list a while ago. He just seems to have Pac-10 on his mind. I feel that Dower, Burton, Cunningham, and now Bak are a lot more within our grasps. Anyone think we still are going to get our two bigs? I hope so! I'm shooting for Bak any of the othre three. Bak has really grown on me and i just love the way he plays the game, and his D.

BobZag
06-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Keep in mind it's a Beavers article. That said, as I've already said, watch out for this new OSU coach. He's using his popular political relationship to the max because, face it, Oregon State itself has nothing to sell but Pac-10 affiliation. Gill is a dump. The program is Big Sky level. Minimal TV on FSN. Etc. It's all about Obama's brother-in-law. Robinson won two more games than he lost at Brown. But he is smooth.

spudzag
06-13-2008, 09:42 AM
Also keep in mind that Stover has shown up on and off but has never appeared to be a focus of the staff like Burton has.

The enlightened members on the board have spent time to show us all the positives that Burton brings, he doesn't fit the profile that the "high profile" programs are locked in on. I take the Stover article as a distraction with no real impact on Few's recruiting efforts.

StocktonIsMyHero
06-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Keep in mind it's a Beavers article. That said, as I've already said, watch out for this new OSU coach. He's using his popular political relationship to the max because, face it, Oregon State itself has nothing to sell but Pac-10 affiliation. Gill is a dump. The program is Big Sky level. Minimal TV on FSN. Etc. It's all about Obama's brother-in-law. Robinson won two more games than he lost at Brown. But he is smooth.

Meh, I'm not buying that Bob. Robinson isn't going to win over recruits by saying he is the bro-in-law of the president. He's going to win them over by promising them playing time. I already posted this, but I'm pretty much 99% sure that an incoming freshman is going to be a LOT more interested in getting solid minutes and maybe even starting for a Pac-10 team than in the coach's family relations.

Depth is great and wonderful, but it can be an obstacle too. Austin Daye didn't even start last year. So I can definitely understand a big-time recruit preferring to go to a place they know they are going to get big minutes.

Robinson is no dummy and I'm sure he'll use his bro-in-law connection wherever he can, but let's not forget that several coaches turned down Oregon State before they settled on Brown. And even then, it's ludicrous to think they brought him in just because his bro-in-law was running for president.

BobZag
06-13-2008, 10:32 AM
OSU took him for his coaching prowess.

freezer12
06-13-2008, 01:55 PM
OSU took him for his coaching prowess.

OSU chose him for his personality. The guy is engaging, extremely intelligent, and very disciplined. Players see this. Read Stover's quotes again. I recommend you watch his introductory press conference. I came away highly impressed.

Leave Obama out of it, BZ. Don't let the media hype fool you.

Full disclosure: I'm a part of Beaver Nation.

BobZag
06-13-2008, 02:17 PM
OSU took him for his personality.

:)

MississppiZag
06-13-2008, 02:24 PM
BZ, do you subscribe to ESPN, as an Insider?:)

BobZag
06-13-2008, 02:48 PM
BZ, do you subscribe to ESPN, as an Insider?:)

Yes. It's inexpensive and a pretty good deal, plus you get ESPN The Magazine to boot.

MississppiZag
06-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Could you post the article by Andy Katz, dealing with Jarvis Varnardo of Mississippi State? I would appreciate it. It's from today:)

Bighouse Gains
06-14-2008, 11:24 AM
Does Stover have a scholarship offer from the Zags yet?

MickMick
06-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Does Stover have a scholarship offer from the Zags yet?

Welcome aboard Bighouse

GDaleZag
06-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Anybody know Stovers summer schedule? Being down in the socal area I would like to catch a game or 2 of his

NEZAGFAN
06-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Could you post the article by Andy Katz, dealing with Jarvis Varnardo of Mississippi State? I would appreciate it. It's from today:)

Mississippi State is done with Jamont Gordon.

As soon as Gordon announced he was declaring for the NBA draft, coach Rick Stansbury thanked him for helping lead MSU to the SEC West title this past season.

But Stansbury and the staff aren't fretting Gordon's decision.

They have another ticket to the NCAA tournament on the horizon, and they know who will finally get a chance to have his day: Jarvis Varnado

Varnado isn't a sleeper. He did block an NCAA-best 157 shots last season. "Nobody has been better in the past decade in the SEC at blocking shots,'' said Alabama coach Mark Gottfried. "He's a long kid, who has a knack for timing for blocking shots. He's good at it and changes the game around the basket. He got better and better last year."

Given the track record of Mississippi State players who leave early for the NBA, it is a surprise that Varnado didn't bolt, too.

But he stayed because he's likely to be the focal point of the Bulldogs next season. Stansbury said he'll be the go-to guy and will have a real chance to blossom without forward Charles Rhodes inside and Gordon on the perimeter.

He'll have to after the Bulldogs lost three of their top five scorers: Rhodes (senior), Gordon (leaving early) and Ben Hansbrough (transferring to Notre Dame). Guard Barry Stewart (11.5 ppg) and Varnado (7.9 ppg, 7.8 rpg) are the top returning scorers.

Assistant coach Phil Cunningham raved about his basketball IQ and how well he was scoring over the past few months of the season. Varnado will work out at the Amare Stoudemire big man camp in Phoenix and then at the LeBron James Nike camp in Akron in late June and early July, respectively. With plenty of NBA scouts and media watching the games. Varnado has a shot to really increase his IQ rating among those two parties. The key will be his strength. When he first got to Mississippi State, there was a sense that he couldn't hold his position in the post because of a lack of strength. But he changed that by adding 20-plus pounds to his lanky frame. "He's not getting tossed around as much and not shoved out of the paint, and he's really quick,'' Cunningham said.

Stansbury admits had Rhodes and Gordon not gotten all the attention last season, Varnado would have been the headline player. That will change this time next year when it will be hard to keep Varnado from declaring for the 2009 draft.

Bighouse Gains
06-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Welcome aboard Bighouse

Thank you,

Bighouse Gains
06-14-2008, 01:06 PM
Brendan Lane committed to UCLA last night.

BobZag
06-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Anybody know Stovers summer schedule? Being down in the socal area I would like to catch a game or 2 of his

At the end of July there is the Best of Summer Tourney at LMU. I'll let you know if I find out more.

ZagNut08
06-14-2008, 06:23 PM
GDale, see you there

Dreness
06-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Beaver fan here also. From the one I saw him in person, and from the things I keep hearing him say, Robinson is sharp. He's not going to deny any connection to Obama, but that's just not hs schtick. I think he's the real deal. Be sweet if got that threesome.