PDA

View Full Version : Solomon Hill June 6 Story on GOAZCATS.COM

ZagNative
06-12-2008, 08:15 AM
This Josh Gershon story about Arizona's recruitment of Solomon hill was published June 6th on Arizona's Rivals site, GOAZCATS.com (http://arizona.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=815028). , but I don't think I've seen it posted here. (Not sure if this story is subscription or not ...)

One of the fastest risers in the country in terms of national ranking is 6-foot-6, 195-pound Los Angeles Fairfax small forward Solomon Hill. In the past month, Hill has gone from a completely unranked prospect to Rivals.com's 27th ranked player nationally and 3rd ranked small forward.
While Hill is listed at small forward, he could just as easily play the one or two in college and his future in basketball might be at the point guard spot with his high level ball handling ability for his size.

Arizona has recently picked up its recruitment of Hill and the Wildcats aren't expected to back off any time soon.
Hill told GOAZCATS.com at last weekend's Pangos All-American Camp that he likes what the UA program has to offer.

"Especially with my game changing now and me looking to play guard, that's a big guard school and wing school," Hill said. "That would be a nice school. I'll be taking major interest in Arizona.Says, of Arizona, he really likes the heat.:( Hope he likes four real seasons as much as he likes the heat in AZ ... He says the coaching changes at AZ won't affect his decision.

BobZag
06-12-2008, 08:52 AM
All of their recruits say the coaching changes don't matter.

Go Solomon.

ZagNative
06-12-2008, 09:16 AM
BZ, you posted this on Kevin Noreen's thread:

Not sure exactly who will for certain be there, but the staff is trying for--

Kevin Noreen
Bak Bak
Solomon Hill
Anthony Stover
Tyler Honeycutt
Josh Smith
Joe Burton
Sam Dower
Abdul Gaddy

--and probably a few more bigs and wings with some guards.Any idea when we might have an actual list, if ever? Camp would be just a couple of weeks away now. Are they likely to keep the list private, so the only way we'll know who's coming is if a kid says so in a published story?

I may have asked this before, but if I did, I've forgotten the answer.

I wonder if elite camps are normally free for the kids. It's got to get spendy for them to do all the traveling these kids do. I assume the shoe-sponsored AAU teams get their trip expenses paid to play in AAU tournament games, but I don't know that to be a fact, and I assume that's just for the AAU games the team plays in.

BobZag
06-12-2008, 09:36 AM
Unless it's published, or a recruit names names in an interview, I won't know who all is attending until shortly afterwards or during the camp. But my list is close. Add a Canadian or two, as OZZag indicated, and that's likely it.

I'd bring in John Stockton, Dan Dickau, Ronny, etc., for this camp as well.

ZagNative
06-12-2008, 09:58 AM
I may have found the answer about the cost issue, in this story and I believe the answer is that the college cannot waive fees or pay any costs associated with a PSA attending the camp. It's got to be difficult for some of these kids' parents to handle the costs of attending camps.

duper
06-12-2008, 09:58 AM
is this camp open to the public, so we could see some of these kids first hand and compare them against other recruits we are after?

BobZag
06-12-2008, 10:08 AM
www.gonzagabasketballcamps.com

It's not listed but the camp runs at the same time as the team camp at the end of June. If I were to guess, I'd say it'll be held in K2 and will likely be closed to the public. Just my guess.

ZagNative
06-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Found this interesting tidbit on the NCAA rules websites, when

13.12.1.3 Recruiting Calendar Exceptions.

The interaction during sports camps and clinics between prospective student-athletes and those coaches employed by the camp or clinic is not subject to the recruiting calendar restrictions. However, an institutional staff member employed at any camp or clinic (e.g., counselor, director) is prohibited from recruiting any prospective student-athlete during the time period that the camp or clinic is conducted (from the time the prospective student-athlete reports to the camp or clinic until the conclusion of all camp activities). The prohibition against recruiting includes extending verbal or written offers of financial aid to any prospective student-athlete during his or her attendance at the camp or clinic. Other coaches wishing to attend the camp as observers must comply with appropriate recruiting contact and evaluation periods. In addition, institutional camps or clinics may not be conducted during a dead period. (Revised: 4/3/02)It doesn't appear that the coaching staff would be allowed to offer during the camp, if my reading of this rule is correct.

I read elsewhere that the camp must provide instruction and can't simply be used for skills testing and evaluations and there are rules from mentioning student athletes' names in brochures, etc., promoting the camp.

I don't pretend to understand the NCAA rules I read, however, so I'm just guessing that there's a rule against pretty much everything we'd like to do or be able to have the coaching staff do. :( Of course, those same rules are great when they frustrate schools like Kansas and Arizona from scooping up all the goodies at elite camps, etc., but they're not so great when they also limit the Zags.

spudzag
06-12-2008, 12:07 PM
However, an institutional staff member employed at any camp or clinic (e.g., counselor, director) is prohibited from recruiting any prospective student-athlete during the time period that the camp or clinic is conducted (from the time the prospective student-athlete reports to the camp or clinic until the conclusion of all camp activities).

Just having a camp is about the most obvious legal recruiting activity I can think of. I'm no legal eagle but the statement I bolded above would appear to leave the door open to make an offer after the "conclusion of camp activities". So camp ends at three. PSA takes an "unscheduled" walk around campus with the coach and receives an offer. Within or outside the rules?

ZagNative
06-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Spud, I wondered about that too, but the camp ends during a quiet period on the recruiting calendar, so I wasn't sure how that worked and was too lazy to look further, but having done so, seems like it would be okay to talk recruiting once the camp is over and before the kid leaves the campus.
During a quiet period it is permissible to make in-person recruiting contacts only on the member institution's campus. No in-person, off-campus recruiting contacts or evaluations may be made during the quiet period.

spudzag
06-12-2008, 01:03 PM
Ah, good point, missed that. I think the message will be conveyed without the offer. Maybe something like agreeing to get together after the quiet period. Not an offer but a message.

Back on topic a bit, love the this line about Hill;

While Hill is listed at small forward, he could just as easily play the one or two in college and his future in basketball might be at the point guard spot with his high level ball handling ability for his size.

Soloman makes more sense to me than another guard in 09. The the other three schollies for bigs. ;)

ZagNative
06-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Just to be clear, it looks, to my untrained eye, like the staff can talk recruiting after the camp but before the kid leaves the campus, assuming that time could be counted as an unofficial on-campus visit which would be outside the camp recruiting rule.

Fingers crossed we'll get some big news right after the camp, like where Meech called his coach from an airport en route home after his visit to announce he was going to be a Zag and didn't want to waste any further time before committing. (I think that visit and his visit was in October '07.)

Nice pic from that story on GOAZCATS about Solomon Hill:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/Solomon%20Hill/2008-06-12SolomonHillGoAzcatsstory.jpg