PDA

View Full Version : OT: U.S. Open Predictions

RenoZag
06-11-2008, 07:33 PM
The spotlight's on Phil & Tiger, since they're paired together for the first two rounds. . .but it has been 4 years since a Yank won the USGA's biggest prize.

Who do you like to hoist the trophy come Father's Day afternoon at Torrey Pines ?

How about one of these 3 ?

Stewart Cink (Duluth, Ga), Sergio Garcia (Spain) Vijay Singh (Fiji)

zag67
06-11-2008, 07:38 PM
In a lunch pool I have Tiger, Cink, and VJ. So I am hoping one of them win.

krozman
06-11-2008, 08:06 PM

And you're the same person who probably voted Big Brown to win too. Tiger = big brown?, being the popular (yet mysteriously injured) choice.

MedZag
06-11-2008, 08:07 PM
My gut tells me an underdog wins this one, one of the young guns. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Tiger come out and have a vintage performance because he loves statement wins.

I'm just not feeling all the optimism around Lefty. Tiger knows the course as well as he does and has played significantly better golf the past year, knee scoped or not.

zag67
06-11-2008, 08:26 PM
No I did not bet on Big Brown, but it is hard to go against Tiger. Even after the surgery and in his first tournament back he does have certain edges. He has won the last 3 or more times at Torey Pines. He also has been in the top 10 in almost every tournament he has been in for the last 6 months. When he is playing bad, he still comes in 2nd or 3rd. That is hard to bet against.

If you compare the WCC to the Open, then GU would be Tiger and then there is the rest of the field. Can they win, yes, but if you had to make a bet now for next year, who would you put your money on. Mine would be on G.U.

DenDiegoZag
06-12-2008, 06:54 AM

After watching Garcia and VJ finish their practice round on 18 where they took several approach shots from about 100 yards out, I was pretty impressed with how well they were hitting the ball. That said VJ ended up skulling one into the bunker and took several shots from the bunker back onto the green. Garcia sank about a 25 footer as well. The contitions were getting firmer and faster than they had been earlier in the week as the sun dried out the course.

Immelmen also looked very good.

My money is on Adam Scott as the dark horse after listening to some of the guys in the office talk about his practice rounds.

On a side note, you could probably host a medium market football game inside the merchandise tent...it is that big...I mean the thing is huge.

GO ZAGS!

Dogman
06-12-2008, 07:08 AM
I have to pull for the very very very big dark hoarse in this one...

KYLE STANLEY!!!!

What's not to like about this guy? He's a bellarmine alum and he might be the smallest guy at there at 140lbs, but he has some serious game. Plus its been over 70 years since an amateur won, don't you think we're about due?

ZagManFan
06-12-2008, 07:42 AM
To much to ask for Tiger coming off the bumb knee. Two that I like are Adam Scott and Jim Furyk. Also watch out for Phil Mickelson. Kinda being overshadowed by Tiger, but this could be his year.

zzzjag
06-12-2008, 07:51 AM
Wearing my Gonzaga windbreaker.

In addition to hearing "go Zags!" about 15 times, the beer concession guy saw me walk up and said..."Gone-Zaga! Basketball powerhouse! I love that team!"

The other big observation to me was that the rough didn't appear to be any where as difficult as promised. We will have to see how that turns out.

The course is looooooonnnnnnngggggg though and the greens were lightening quick.

CarolinaZagFan
06-12-2008, 09:33 AM
CZF is taking Adam Scott.

cjm720
06-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Adam Scott

krozman
06-19-2008, 07:16 AM
And you're the same person who probably voted Big Brown to win too. Tiger = big brown?, being the popular (yet mysteriously injured) choice.

OMG, you won't believe this. Some idiot on this board thinks that Big Brown is a metaphor for some racist message. Take a look at this.

http://i27.tinypic.com/rtly1f.jpg

Big Brown is a HORSE!, and the comparison would have been fine not because of skin color but because of injury prior to the biggest event of their professional lives? I got a big chuckle.

ZagManFan
06-19-2008, 07:20 AM
Wow, and even Negged ya. That means getting negative reputation just to clarify.