Benayad-Cherif, Hichem Forward Quebec 6'5
Bibeau, Simon Guard Quebec 6'2
Bigby, Alwayne Guard Ontario 6'5
Burnatowski, Murphy Forward Ontario 6'6
Christie, Ryan Forward Ontario 6'6
Dewar, Rob Centre Ontario 6'11
Dugas, Roger Forward Quebec 6'8
Gagliardi, Rob Guard Ontario 6'2
Joseph, Cory Guard Ontario 6'2 (brother of Minnesota's Frosh Devoe Joseph)
Kabongo, Myck Guard Ontario 5'10
Lufile, Chadrack Forward Ontario 6'9
Manigat, Jahenns Guard Ontario 6'2
Mitrovic, Nemanja Guard Ontario 6'5
Nurse, Ty Guard British Columbia 6'0
Olynyk, Kelly Guard British Columbia 6'9
Thompson, Tristan Forward Ontario 6'8 (some rank him #1 in 2010 class) Texas commit
Trasolini, Marc Forward British Columbia 6'8 (SCU Frosh)
Walker, Maurice Forward Ontario 6'9
Watson, Tyrone Guard Ontario 6'4

Bolded players could be of interest.....

Schedule

Training camp July 2nd-9th.

Jack Donohue International Classic Exhibition Games Toronto, ON July 4, 5 -
(playing against University Allstar side)

FIBA Americas World Championships Qualifying Tournament Formosa, Argentina July 14-18 -

British Columbia's, Kelly Olynyk is listed, a smooth shooting guard from Kamloops, in the BC Interior. @ 6'9" (he has grown 3" over the last while) and playing the guard position he poses an interesting matchup problem for opponents. Along with being on the training camp roster of this team, he is also one of the stars of the BC under 17 side, and may end up being at the bulldogs camp which I believe is at the end of June.

There are several other interesting players on the BC U17 side including; Guard Andrew McGuiness and youngsters (U16 age group) Forward Mike Lewandowski and Guard Colby Maier.

MississppiZag
06-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Does anyone know how serious we are about Alwayne Bigby or any of the Canadians for that matter? Bigby looks to be a great talent and there was some players with great size on that list.

Interested to see how interested we are in Rob Dewar, Mike Allison, and Kelly Olynyk, as well as other Canadian bigs. Seems that we might be forming a pipeline.

ZagNative
06-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the great post, OZ, and for picking up that link (http://www.basketball.ca/en/hm/inside.php?sid=1&id=2069) for us!

I'm jacked!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Emoticons/party048.gif

We've got some basketball coming up in July, in addition to US AAU. Hooray!

OZZag
06-09-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the great post, OZ, and for picking up that link (http://www.basketball.ca/en/hm/inside.php?sid=1&id=2069) for us!

I'm jacked!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Emoticons/party048.gif

We've got some basketball coming up in July, in addition to US AAU. Hooray!

There is also a chance that some of these players will be part of the Canadian team at the Portland tournament in August.

BobZag
06-09-2008, 05:28 PM
I read that Olynyk has a good back-to-the-basket game. Is he still a guard or wing-guard, or has he grown into a forward? He must not be what we consider to be bulky. If he's a 2009 kid, he could be in competition with Honeycutt, et al., if he is still a guard or wing-guard.

ZagNative
06-09-2008, 06:47 PM
So, dumb question: Will they come out of training camp and pick a traveling roster of a smaller number of players, (i.e., 15 players, with 13 on the roster and two reserves?)

OZZag
06-09-2008, 07:10 PM
So, dumb question: Will they come out of training camp and pick a traveling roster of a smaller number of players, (i.e., 15 players, with 13 on the roster and two reserves?)

My educated guess is that they will narrow down the roster to 14-15 after the training camp July 2-9th and choose the final 12 after the two trial matches. Keeping in mind that perhaps half of the team will be made up of NEDA players who have played a lot together, my guess is that the following will make the team;

Starters;

PG Gagliardi
SG Manny
SF Bigby
PF Trasolini
C Allison

Bench;

Bibeau
Joseph
Thompson (may start at PF instead of Trasolini)
Walker
Dewar

Then one each of

Nurse/Kabongo (Kabongo will be starting PG for 2010 team)
Burnatowski/Olynyk

NEDA players

ZagNative
06-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Super helpful, OZ! Thanks!

cjm720
06-10-2008, 09:16 AM
My educated guess is that they will narrow down the roster to 14-15 after the training camp July 2-9th and choose the final 12 after the two trial matches. Keeping in mind that perhaps half of the team will be made up of NEDA players who have played a lot together, my guess is that the following will make the team;

Starters;

PG Gagliardi
SG Manny
SF Bigby
PF Trasolini
C Allison

Bench;

Bibeau
Joseph
Thompson (may start at PF instead of Trasolini)
Walker
Dewar

Then one each of

Nurse/Kabongo (Kabongo will be starting PG for 2010 team)
Burnatowski/Olynyk

NEDA players

Wow, you expect Arop to start!! That would be great exposure and experience. For some reason when the topic was first posted, it seemed like he was battling to just make the team but to start!!

GO ZAGS!!

Nevtelen
06-10-2008, 09:36 AM
That would be fantastic if Arop started! Whew!

Also interesting to see Trasolini there - an SCU commit. Keating definitely has an eye for talent, no question.

OZZag
06-10-2008, 03:58 PM
That would be fantastic if Arop started! Whew!

Also interesting to see Trasolini there - an SCU commit. Keating definitely has an eye for talent, no question.

Based on Manny's play for NEDA and his ability to spark the team. He has always been a scorer and that is what the team will need from him.

Bigby and Manny are interchangeable as far as positions go, alot will also depend on who plays C and PF (IE if Thompson plays SF then Bigby may end starting at SG).

Allison was the starting Centre with NEDA and has been very consistent all year, but I hear that he that he might not be bulky enough against some of the tougher South American teams.

Trasolini has show that he can play well against quality opposition (check out the boxscores from last years Nike Global Challenge) He also plays great defence. I think that if Gonzaga had known about Theo and Brock beforehand they might have been more interested in Marc, they certainly got to see him closeup before he comitted.

Tristan Thompson is younger, and can play both Wing and PF. I expect that Thompson will end up being one of the best Canadians ever to play D1.

Maurice Walker is a younger player as well, he has more bulk, but is a good rebounder and scorer. He may end up playing time at both PF and C

Rob Dewar is a wild card, as he is needed for his size, he is quite raw and I am just not sure if he is up to this level yet, again he is younger than some of the other players on the team.

thespywhozaggedme
06-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Bray,
JC wasn't "left off" the roster. He chose not to play for his country and instead to opt for AAU and club ball. Big mistake, imho. Plus he's really chubby and it's hurt his play.

OZZag
06-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Bray,
JC wasn't "left off" the roster. He chose not to play for his country and instead to opt for AAU and club ball. Big mistake, imho. Plus he's really chubby and it's hurt his play.

He didn't play last year either when we could have used him at the U19 championships. Cadougan has got some ground to make up, two years ago he was a top 20 ranked player. I understand that he has shed some weight and is still being considered by some top programs (including Loiusville). He recently played in the GBOA East Tournament against the best AAU teams in the USA, and averaged 17 ppg as Grassroots Canada went 3-1 (lost to NY Gauchos)

We still have a capable tandem in Corey Joseph and Rob Gagliardi, but none with as much experience as JC.