PDA

View Full Version : Potential good news from CBS about Pargo

23dpg
06-09-2008, 10:45 AM
Pargo wants to keep his amateur status

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Gonzaga standout Jeremy Pargo worked out for the Grizzlies on Monday morning alongside Kyle Weaver, Kevin Love, DeAndre Jordan, JaVale McGee and Joey Dorsey. He was solid in spots, OK in others. But a good sign for Gonzaga fans is that he doesn't seem delusional about his position and appears perfectly willing to return to school if he doesn't hear what he wants to hear.

So what does he want to hear?

He wants to hear he's a first-round pick.

But the reality is that such doesn't seem likely to happen, and proof that Pargo understands it came at the end of the workout when director of player personnel Tony Barone gave each prospect a halfcourt shot and promised a Lexus to anybody who could sink one. I'm not sure he was serious, but that didn't stop the players from getting excited. So everybody grabbed a ball and launched a ball, and it was a lot of fun to watch. But before Pargo took his shot he stopped and negotiated a deal.

"I might be going back to college," he said. "So if I make it I'm going to need to put this in my brother's name."

Everybody laughed.

The Pargo shot and missed.

And my guess is he'll be back in Spokane by this time next week.

MDABE80
06-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Tony Barone is one of our old friends from Creighton. Glad to hear Jeremy might be arriving back on earth by next week;) We need him to be outstanding in about 5 months.

mnzag24
06-09-2008, 11:49 AM
good news for us zags, i wish i knew what "spots" they were talking about though.

side note: weaver seems to have dropped far in most mock drafts, i think someone is going to get good value early 2nd round.

gozagswoohoo
06-09-2008, 11:53 AM
hahaha, that's a funny story. (and a good one!)

VinnyZag
06-09-2008, 01:26 PM
side note: weaver seems to have dropped far in most mock drafts, i think someone is going to get good value early 2nd round.

I just don't get the NBA. I think Weaver's going to be a real solid pro, definitely one of the 30 or so best prospects in this draft. Why you wouldn't want a guy like him is baffling to me.

Good news about Pargo, though.

cougs4ever
06-09-2008, 01:48 PM
The knock on Weaver is his outside shooting, which he's improved every year in school. He keeps working on it, and he will keep getting better.

The other thing about Kyle is that his game doesn't jump off the screen and grab you. You need to see his full body of work to appreciate his feel for the game. He really knows how to play on both ends.

theothegreat21
06-09-2008, 03:16 PM
We just put up some quotes on The Kennel Report from both Jeremy and the Grizzlies on his performance today. Also have a couple of pictures up as well

http://thekennelreport.blogspot.com/

Nevtelen
06-09-2008, 03:37 PM
The knock on Weaver is his outside shooting, which he's improved every year in school. He keeps working on it, and he will keep getting better.

The other thing about Kyle is that his game doesn't jump off the screen and grab you. You need to see his full body of work to appreciate his feel for the game. He really knows how to play on both ends.

I've always thought that Weaver will be one of those solid guys that won't get the headlines but will get picked in the 2nd round and will really be valuable to some team. I think teams will see his value more the longer he's around.

In one of the Pargo quotes, the interviewee says Pargo isn't a great jumper. Isn't a great jumper? Seriously? He has some holes in his game, but I'm not sure that's one of them after watching all those nasty dunks last season.

ZagNative
06-10-2008, 05:58 AM
Thanks, Theo! Another great story up on The Kennel Report (http://thekennelreport.blogspot.com/2008/06/pargo-in-memphis.html). I don't think I've seen a link yet to this video of the interview with Jeremy (http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/content/sports/story.aspx?content_id=265a3770-a2dd-477d-aefe-a4ea8b152659) on Memphis TV.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Pargo/2008-06-09JeremyvideoworkoutforGriz.jpg

That's a poised young man. I love that he represents the Zags.

7ICoug
06-10-2008, 06:46 AM

And during the memphis workout he sank 6 out of 10 from the NBA 3 point line which isn't bad.

Zagpower
06-10-2008, 06:47 AM

I agree the NBA is underestimating Weaver. He's not one to stand out in individual workouts. He is a great defender and has a nice well rounded offensive game that wasn't always on display for the Cougs. Improving an outside shot is one of the easiest things for the NBA to fix. He may end up being the steal of the draft.

VinnyZag
06-10-2008, 11:19 AM
This thread wasn't meant to be about Weaver, of course, but I feel strongly about him. If he improves his shooting, he's Raja Bell or Bruce Bowen.