PDA

View Full Version : Take a look into the future

MontanaZag
06-09-2008, 04:23 AM
Since we are about 6 months away from gametime and it is becoming apparent that Mr. Pargo will be coming back, how about some fun predictions on how you think this team will fair.

Preseason ranking: 13? I think the zags, unlike last year, will notch a "marquee" victory or two or three in the non-conference schedule allowing them to sneak into the top 10 as Austin Daye begins to emerge as a first team all-america candidate. There firepower proves too much to handle as they roll through the WCC conference undefeated winning the tournament title in Las Vegas. The zags are awarded a 3 seed in the tournament . . . .

whats your look?

JAGzag
06-09-2008, 06:31 AM
Tough to say. With the mix of talent and experience, this team could very well end up in the top 5 with a 1-3 seed. But we also had talent last year and the team never came together. While Josh could very well blow up this year, I've stopped overestimating his ability to be a game changer. I think it depends on Daye's physical developments this summer whether Few will really run the offense through him; personally, I doubt it.

My prediction? If the Zags learn to play "Zag ball" with this talent, no one will touch them.

spudzag
06-09-2008, 06:45 AM
We start every year with great promise. This years is that promise is as great as any, but all hangs on that elusive word, "potential". Each player has terrific potential but we need to move beyond potential.

Josh needs to stay health, be in shape and have his head in the game. Rob needs to develop his game. Downs needs his shot. Austin needs strenght. Matt needs consistancy and more than a post up game. And so on. Serveral, but not all of those things need to happen.

If there has ever been a year this is it. I'm optomistic that a great year is with in reach. It also looks like that the rest of the NCAA field will be a down a little with the defections to the league.

If they guys can get it together (each in his own way) and play gritty ball we could make a real run.

Reborn
06-09-2008, 06:49 AM
One thing is certain about next year. The NCAA Div I will be very, very tough because it always is. ALWAYS Ive never seen a down year. There are always stars just waiting to happen.

I think the Zags will be better next year. Much better. And I expect to have a lot of fun.

MickMick
06-09-2008, 06:52 AM
WCC is going to be tough.

That is my prediction.

Edit: I recall writing a post shortly after USD hired Billy Grier. I was concerned that knowing the Zag system and players, the Torreros would be trouble for us. My post was followed by multiple confident replies. No matter how well Grier knows our system, the talent differential was far too great for concern.

So for this upcoming season I say:

Talent Shmalent. Can they play as a team?

We will see.

pbriz
06-09-2008, 08:25 AM
Instead of Gonzaga and the seven warfs this year its going to be Gonzaga, St. Marys and San Diego and the five dwarfs, with perhaps SCU being a cut above the other four.

This being said, I think our RPI this year will be the best it ever has been and will allow us to get a very nice seed in the tournament. I think a 3 or 4 seed is reasonable and if everything comes together perhaps a 2. I wouldn't expect us to get less than a 5 or 6.

In terms of marquee wins, I think with the solid core we return we take the Old Spice Classic and/or beat UConn in Seattle.