PDA

View Full Version : Some players summer activities . . .

lawzag
06-07-2008, 10:47 AM
Thought you all might be interested to know.

Yesterday, Friday, June 6, 3 of our Zags (Austin, Jeremy & Will) spent 2 hours at Greenacres Middle School in the Spokane Valley.

They did like a "mini" assembly, where they put on a 10-15 minute shooting show of dunks, jams & what one youngster referred to as the "spider" - (for those of you as ignorant as I: Jeremy grabbed the rim with both hands, swung his feet up to the rim, then pushed off & back flipped....)

The boys then spent the rest of the time playing an informal "pickup game" with the 7th & 8th grade BB team, then interacting & chatting with all the kids....

And this is what our boys do in their spare time - unlike the east coast teams, no DUIs, hip-hop clubs, or shooting at police officers for our team !

ZagNative
06-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Neat, neat post, Lawzag! Thanks!

Interesting to note that Jeremy is in town, and that he's finding time to do volunteer work like this.

And how about Austin? I'm surprised he's in Spokane rather than LA right now. Maybe sticking around to work on his game? Being available to play some pick up games with recruits on summer visits? Giving Jeremy some moral support in the midst of his NBA workout schedule?

Austin! What a gem we got in that kid, not only as a basketball player, but as a person. Remember that great story in The Bulletin (http://media.www.gonzagabulletin.com/media/storage/paper375/news/2007/10/12/News/Clp-Holds.Basketball.Clinic.On.The.Colville.Reservatio n-3028475.shtml) last fall about kids from Gonzaga's Comprehensive Leadership Program traveling to Inchelium, on the Colville Indian Reservation to put on a basketball clinic, focusing on basketball and leadership skills, with Austin and Andrew Sorenson?

(First time I read that story last fall, I missed this great pic of Andrew!

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper375/stills/03zb58bq.jpg)

I've been noticing a recurring theme as I've followed recruiting stories this summer, as demonstrated in this quote from Mangisto Arop in Jim Meehan's blog about his commitment (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=7746):
“Gonzaga is a Top 25 school and academically they have smaller classes so it will be easier to get to know professors,” Arop said. “Their coaching staff was nice. They’re interested in developing players and your character. They care about that more than basketball. That’s a place I want to go to because I want to become a better person to go along with being a better basketball player.”I saw the same type of reference in a story about another recruit recently, and I've come to believe that the coaching staff must be working that angle into their sales pitch, and implementing it in their program, and that the kids who end up coming here are the types of kids to whom "becoming a better person" is important.

Austin certainly seems to have bought into that idea enthusiastically.

Thanks, Jeremy, Austin, and Will, for making us proud, not only on the basketball court, but off the court as well.

MDABE80
06-07-2008, 01:46 PM
It's a pretty good deal at GU ZN. Lots (if not all) serious classes at D1 places have 100's of kids in each class. It's just plain crazy thinking a kid can learn easily in many of those situations. Athlete's have limited time available to go to class and study...similar to students who work 30 to 40 hrs/week while holding down a full load.

GU makes it pretty easy for both non athletes and athletes alike to compete in school by keeping things intense but smaller. In the four years of college, I've alway though it doesn't matter so much where a kid goes ( eg UW, GU UCLA, Harvard, etc) because the courses are about the same in terms of material taught. Teachers matter and so does their availability. GU shines here.
It's a priority.