PDA

View Full Version : Do I dare post this?

ZagNative
06-07-2008, 01:30 AM
You know how rumors race over the internet ... but there's a pretty funny story over on thesporthump.com (http://www.thesporthump.com/2008/06/gonzaga-basketball-linked-to-terrorism.html) , a Syracuse-focused blog, obviously inspired by the NYT story about the verbal commitment of Bol Kong ...

http://bp2.blogger.com/_ta_EPm33qQ4/SEfmWO_xubI/AAAAAAAABhA/ZYV1mA0Ty6s/s400/GONZAGA-MORRISON-BASKETBALL.jpg

Gonzaga Basketball has recently been linked to terrorism by a Federal Investigation enacted by the Department of Homeland Security. The University has not commented on the allegations that have raised some concerns from many campus groups and alumni. Recently, shooting guard Bol Kong has drawn interest from a number of universities and recently received a scholarship offer from the terrorist state known as Gonzaga. It is the defense he has met off the court that has slowed him -- and could prevent him from ever playing for the Bulldogs or anyone else in the United States.

Kong, 20, is originally from Sudan, which is listed by the United States as a state sponsor of terrorism. Many question his affiliation with Gonzaga and after turning down many more prestigious basketball institutions*, people want to know his intentions.

"We all have suspected Gonzaga of being a terrorist threat, but now this really solidifies are initial suspicions," Former NCAA Coach Bobby Knight recently stated. "I have felt this for sometime now, and with the recruitment of Kong, I feel that President Bush has to look at lumping them into the Axis of Evil."

The Sport Hump Disclaimer
We would like to think that we don't need a "disclaimer" on this site...however, in today's coffee-spilling on crotch society, this is here to let you know that the stories that grace this website are strictly a product of the bloggers' creative minds and shall not be construed to be actual representations or beliefs of any of the aforementioned persons, places, entities, blah blah blah and are meant to be read exclusively as entertainment.* So peruse, surf, and enjoy but please, don't sue us ... because this isn't REAL.

* One blogger, who shall remain unnamed, would like to announce her hatred for Ohio State. That IS real.
*More prestigious organizations? Did Syracuse offer? Oooh! ZN is so sensitive to Zag slights! Especially from bloggers favoring a school that hasn't made the Dance the last two years ...

Read the rest of the blog here (http://www.thesporthump.com/2008/06/gonzaga-basketball-linked-to-terrorism.html).

If reading the story leaves you either outraged or confused, even after noting the site disclaimer, you may want to to visit your friendly local mechanic and run a diagnostic on the old right parahippocampal gyrus (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/03/health/research/03sarc.html?adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1212829287-gns3dqMrVDpdeOGAsZwZfw).

spudzag
06-07-2008, 06:37 AM
I guess it just isn't my type of humor.

roxdoc
06-07-2008, 07:12 AM
LOL:lmao:

Nevtelen
06-07-2008, 07:36 AM
I think we do have at least one Weapon of Mass Destruction on the team the coming year (Austin)... I'm sure Kong and Arop (and hopefully Bak Bak) will terrorize the competition when they get to GU. Fun article, thanks for posting, ZN.

CaliforniaZaggin'
06-07-2008, 08:45 AM
I guess it just isn't my type of humor.

Me neither. I think its in poor taste.

ZagNative
06-07-2008, 08:56 AM
From Storming The Floor (http://www.stormingthefloor.com/2008/06/want-to-stop-state-sponsored-terrorism.html) (Bolding added for emphasis):
Want to stop State-Sponsored Terrorism? Punish the Refugees

I'm generally not in favor of bending the rules for a kid just because he can play basketball. But in the case of Bol Kong, a Sudanese national whose family emigrated to Canada at age 7, I think we can apply the rarely used "give-the-kid-a-break-he-survived-genocide" rule.

The New York Times first uncovered the story of Kong (love the name, trying not to let it derail my serious arguments), and STF contributor La Rev forwarded it on to me. Seems Bol is a superstar shooting guard for Douglas College in the Canadian province of British Columbia. As U.S. teams like Marquette and Boise State barnstormed through their exhibition season, Kong seemed able to score at will against the Division I talent he faced.

Obviously, U.S. coaches took notice. Gonzaga has even gone so far as to offer Kong a scholarship. The only problem is, Uncle Sam is not really into green-lighting immigrants from Sudan right now, while Sudan still resides on the official list of states who sponsor terrorism. As rules go, limiting immigration from such states seems like a pretty good one. But we've all seen Sudanese players on U.S. teams, so why are we making an example of a kid who hasn't even seen the land of his birth over the past 13 years?
Don't get me wrong. Canada's a nice place to live. If Kong spends the rest of his life torching defenses in the Great White North, he'll still be one of the lucky ones. But I always hate to see a well-meaning government act throw an indiscriminate net over all who aspire to maximize their talent.

I'm not sure what the future holds for Bol Kong. I find myself idly wondering if he can prove himself to NBA scouts and play for the Raptors some day. I have no idea. It sounds like Kong has it all in perspective:

If this effort fails, Kong said, he will give up. “Then I’m just going to say, You know what, forget it. I’ve tried enough,” he said. “I’m just going to finish my career here in Canada.”

There are worse things in life, eh? But I still wouldn't mind seeing what the kid can do here in the U.S. We'll keep you apprised of any changes in his status.Referring back to the Syracuse-focused blog, the type of judgment about what constitutes bad taste resides, like an appreciation for satire, on the right side of the brain, and therefore what is bad taste to some is not to others, myself included.

HillBillyZag
06-07-2008, 09:55 AM
With all due respect to those whose skin is thin and egos easily bruised I thought ZN's post was hilarious. Political correctness has been pushed way beyond its legitimate bounds. Did you ever hear of satire?, ethnic humor?, Laughing at ones self? We must deal with serious things on a daily basis, we all need to loosen up a little on occaision. My advice to some of you: "Get a life!".

ZagNative
06-07-2008, 10:26 AM
SpudZag and California Zaggin' are both great posters, whose views I respect, and as the title of the thread implies, I figured that the piece might not be as funny to some as it was to me. Satire often pushes the limits of taste. s'okay? s'awright! (Seņor Wences is never in bad taste. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJiYZ6QIAtY))

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Misc/SenorWences.jpg

sittingon50
06-07-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm pretty serious about political correctness. I would rule out HBZ's ethnic humor, yet I find this article humorous rather than offensive. Heck, can't even get everyone here to dislike the huskies!
Well, guess it's O.K. to exercise the brain every once in awhile.

thebigsmoove
06-09-2008, 12:33 AM
Its a Joke people- however i do find it to be a bad joke. In the sense that its really not funny and more than anything a waste of time that some conspirators might actually read and say, "Hey Gonzaga is a terrorist Organization!" Thus begins, like the rumors of Barack Obama as a Terrorist, the false opinions of redkneck hicks and ignorant fools of America! Think I'm reading to much into this, i think not...

Reborn
06-09-2008, 07:04 AM
The good news is that if Senator Obama is elected president, that Kong will have a much better chance of getting in because Obama is a bball player folks. I think we may need to write to him soon if this continues.

thebigsmoove
06-09-2008, 07:22 PM
tu chez!

CaliforniaZaggin'
06-09-2008, 08:00 PM
The good news is that if Senator Obama is elected president, that Kong will have a much better chance of getting in because Obama is a bball player folks. I think we may need to write to him soon if this continues.

Barack has seriously got some game!! It's a freshing to see a presidential candidate that spends his free time shooting hoops rather than shooting birds (no offense to any hunters out there).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_-3ROv_MsNs&feature=related

chirguy
06-10-2008, 11:50 AM
As if there is something wrong with shoot birds or poiticians.;)

MickMick
06-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Political correctness will be the ruin of this country. A fancy term for politics.

Think I'm joking?

For example, why are hydroelectric dams not considered to be a renewable energy resource? How is flowing water different than flowing air? Is it different to "chop up" fish than it is to "chop up" birds? Where is the "carbon footprint"?

This is about the same level of logic used in labeling Bol Kong as a threat to American security. Politics can overcome these obstacles. We just have to collectively make it a political issue.

Write your congressman

ZagNative
06-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Politics can overcome these obstacles. We just have to collectively make it a political issue.

Write your congressman
thanks for the nudge, MickMick. I took your advice and sent the following e-mail to the members of my congressional delegation, Maria Cantwell, Patty Murray, and Cathy McMorris Rodgers:

I am a Gonzaga University basketball fan and as such have been following the story of Bol Kong, a refugee of the genocide in Sudan, whose family fled to Canada as a 7-year old child. He is now 20 years old, and Gonzaga has accepted a verbal commitment for him to play basketball here in Spokane.

However, as outlined in the attached story from the New York Times, he has been denied a Visa to enter the United States three times and is nearing despair that he will ever be able to enter the country.

Could you exercise your good offices to do what you can to help this young man to get the Visa he needs to be able to be on the Gonzaga campus in time for the start of the fall semester? This isn't about Gonzaga basketball so much as it is about helping to overcome a system that punishes a refugee for fleeing genocide as a little boy 13 years ago.

If you are kind enough to reply to this message, I would hope to be able to post your message on the Gonzaga fans' message board, so my friends there can thank you personally.

Here's a link to a website which contains links to e-mail (http://www.webslingerz.com/jhoffman/congress-email.html) for all the members of Congress. I can't vouch for the site, but the links look legit.

Edited to add: Cathy McMorris Rogers' site doesn't look as if she's willing to touch immigration issues with a ten-foot pole. Her site was enough to discourage me. Good luck, Bol.

HillBillyZag
06-10-2008, 04:09 PM
As TexasZag said so well, if you hav'nt got guts enough to initial your rep awards, either pro or con, you should perhaps, not utilize that particular function. And sorry, I will not take your advice and quit posting. You seem to be like an onion sandwich, just keep coming back.

MickMick
06-10-2008, 11:07 PM
Nice work Zag Native