PDA

View Full Version : Don't be surprised!

HillBillyZag
06-06-2008, 10:23 AM
With all of the well deserved accolades being given to our 09-10 prospective recruits, I beg to remind you our present big man problems may be resolved right here at home. I am sure that Rob Sacre & Will Foster have been hard at work both in the weight room and on the court since seasons end and will continue throughout the summer. If you never seen Andy Poling, you are going to be surprised. This young man has the most polished offensive moves of any freshman big we have seen here at Gonzaga. If not for his unforunate health problem and the accompanying weight loss, Andy would probably be up around 240# or more and may still be near that when practice starts. At any rate, I am confident in the talent evaluations of Mark Few and our coaching staff. If they saw enough in these three lads to bring them to Gonzaga,and work with them, IMHO we will be both able & deep in the paint this season and for the forseeable future. And don't forget, Josh will be hopefully healthy and will have a big chip on his shoulder, as will Micah, and AD will be much stronger. So forgive my PollyAnnaness, but boys, we should be "bad to the bone" up front and with Jeremy coming back, and Matty,Steven, plus G.G. and "Meech'", this is arguably the deepest most talented Gonzaga team to ever hit the hardwood. I am "pumped"! Lets play some hoops!!

zagster318
06-06-2008, 10:48 AM
With all of the well deserved accolades being given to our 09-10 prospective recruits, I beg to remind you our present big man problems may be resolved right here at home. I am sure that Rob Sacre & Will Foster have been hard at work both in the weight room and on the court since seasons end and will continue throughout the summer. If you never seen Andy Poling, you are going to be surprised. This young man has the most polished offensive moves of any freshman big we have seen here at Gonzaga. If not for his unforunate health problem and the accompanying weight loss, Andy would probably be up around 240# or more and may still be near that when practice starts. At any rate, I am confident in the talent evaluations of Mark Few and our coaching staff. If they saw enough in these three lads to bring them to Gonzaga,and work with them, IMHO we will be both able & deep in the paint this season and for the forseeable future. And don't forget, Josh will be hopefully healthy and will have a big chip on his shoulder, as will Micah, and AD will be much stronger. So forgive my PollyAnnaness, but boys, we should be "bad to the bone" up front and with Jeremy coming back, and Matty,Steven, plus G.G. and "Meech'", this is arguably the deepest most talented Gonzaga team to ever hit the hardwood. I am "pumped"! Lets play some hoops!!

I thought the coaches were going to redshirt Poling next year, no?

HillBillyZag
06-06-2008, 11:02 AM
I'd guess it would depend on the other big mens progress & health. But the fact remains the kid "has game"! and I'm still pumped!

TreeLover
06-06-2008, 11:14 AM
I'd guess it would depend on the other big mens progress & health. But the fact remains the kid "has game"! and I'm still pumped!

I have heard that Poling was told to feel free to continue to look at other options before he officially signed. He contacted Stanford, be they took a pass immediately. Not only that, from what I understand, ex-Cardinal Reveno said he was not interested in him either when he was contacted. I give Few credit for honoring his early commitment to the guy, but all signs point to him being nothing more than a career backup, at the very best.

KSTATEZAG
06-06-2008, 11:36 AM
"tree lover"= Stanford lover.
I guess you got tired of getting your "u know what" handed to you by the Zags.
Keep trolling.

75Zag
06-06-2008, 11:55 AM
I have watched Andy closely for the last few years. He was a very sick puppy during his junior year, which raised a lot of questions, but from what I can tell from the Portland media and gossip around town he has recovered. His senior year was strong.

Andy has tremendous potential especially if he can get to red shirt and gain a year of muscle building, strength training and coaching by the GU staff. His basketball IQ is excellent and his passing skills are B+ to A- coming into D1. He is not going to be a monster inside due to his long lean frame but he should be able to play as a high / low post player who can move pretty well and who can pass or shoot (think Bill Walton).

Hopefully GU will recruit a monster enforcer type to join Andy under the basket (think Mo Lucas or Karl Malone). Combine that with the good guards and wings that GU already has, and things could get interesting.

Go Bulldogs!

TreeLover
06-06-2008, 11:57 AM
"tree lover"= Stanford lover.
I guess you got tired of getting your "u know what" handed to you by the Zags.
Keep trolling.

I've made no secret that I am a Stanford guy. And, that is only what I have heard from someone that I know and trust at Stanford, that is no longer there. He has no reason to be for or against Poling. I do not think I qualify as a troll putting up second hand information. The fact that Few kept his word and Poling is sounds like a solid individual is a positive. Not every player recruited can be a difference maker. It was just the fact that the original poster was making Poling sound like a Kevin Love lite was what I was trying to debunk.

Nevtelen
06-06-2008, 12:05 PM
Whether or not Poling actually ends up being a good player, I would seriously doubt your information simply based on the Reveno comment. I cannot believe that if Reveno had a chance at Poling that he would pass. UP, like most mids, can use all the height it can get as well as the fact that Andy is a local kid.

Once and Future Zag
06-06-2008, 12:20 PM
I've said it for a while - Rob Sacre is the key to this upcoming season.

While if Pargo leaves for the draft that's a huge impact, I think we've got a better plan-B for PG than we do for Center - since Rob holding down the center means we can play Heytvelt more as a PF, where he seems more comfortable and can really dominate.

duper
06-06-2008, 12:23 PM
I have only seen Poling play once and that was at a Northwest shoot out. Casto dominated the game including Poling, but Poling does have good skill and may not be totally healed yet. I think he will red shirt and gain strength and end up a fine player but probably not a star. Also needs a jump hook in a bad way but that won't take the coaches long to correct.

TreeLover
06-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Whether or not Poling actually ends up being a good player, I would seriously doubt your information simply based on the Reveno comment. I cannot believe that if Reveno had a chance at Poling that he would pass. UP, like most mids, can use all the height it can get as well as the fact that Andy is a local kid.

That was total second hand info, so I would not take that to the bank as 100%. Although I would vouch for the info straight from Stanford as true. I'll stop now so I don't loook like a troll.

HillBillyZag
06-06-2008, 01:04 PM
Plus educated guesses. I just do not understand the lack of faith that some of you display for many of our current players. There is no Coach in Div.1. who has accomplished more overall in the last ten years or more than Mark Few so I will yield to his judgement on the players he wants to recruit. He values players with high basketball IQ, & blue collar work ethics who are willing to submerge individual ego to the team concept. In doing that they suceed at the Collegiate level and if their ability warrants it, are prepared to turn professional. I am convinced that Coach Few & the administration know the type of young men that they want to represent Gonzaga University athletics and for myself, thats good enough.

MississppiZag
06-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Billy Donovan, Roy Williams, or maybe John Calipari? As a true Zag fan, i hate to say it, but he can't be mentioned in the same breath as these and some other coaches, until he takes us to a Final Four and maybe beyond. I can say that he does the best with what he's got in Spokane and does the best all around job as far as coaching goes. But Final Four's don't lie, or National Championships.

Can't complain with the 2nd half of your post. I appreciate what he has done for the program. Just saying a national championship or final 4 would be nice.

BobZag
06-06-2008, 02:44 PM
I have heard that Poling was told to feel free to continue to look at other options before he officially signed. He contacted Stanford, be they took a pass immediately. Not only that, from what I understand, ex-Cardinal Reveno said he was not interested in him either when he was contacted. I give Few credit for honoring his early commitment to the guy, but all signs point to him being nothing more than a career backup, at the very best.

I'm sorry. Debunk away, but this is 100% false. I have enough first-hand contacts to know this is just false. Few and his staff do not do this, not even to a kid like Mammery Diallo who had very little skill. You may have heard this. But it's false. Few (and GU) would lose all respect from PDX coaches if he did this. Just silly false. Sorry.

HillBillyZag
06-06-2008, 05:44 PM
Good big men are hard to come by. They can't teach you to be 6'10" to 7" +. But hard work and good coaching can turn the proverbia "sows ear" into the "silk purse". Two quick examples that come to mind are the Big redhead pivot that graduated form MSU a season or two ago, tripped over his own feet as a frosh but he was a monster as a senior. Closer to home I watched Robby Cowgill when He ws a frosh at WSU and wondered what in hades the kid was doing out there. He turned into a dependable, useful and steady wing on a darn good team. Never say never, its all up to the kids in question and the coaches giving them the chance to excell.

MickMick
06-06-2008, 06:21 PM
I'm sorry. Debunk away, but this is 100% false. I have enough first-hand contacts to know this is just false. Few and his staff do not do this, not even to a kid like Mammery Diallo who had very little skill. You may have heard this. But it's false. Few (and GU) would lose all respect from PDX coaches if he did this. Just silly false. Sorry.

Way to call him out BZ.

I am really pulling for Polling. I would love to see him prove a few folks wrong. Some people are inspired by adversity. I hope this young man has that demeanor.

jake
06-07-2008, 05:52 PM
If you never seen Andy Poling, you are going to be surprised. This young man has the most polished offensive moves of any freshman big we have seen here at Gonzaga.

Have you seen Poling play in person? I'm no where close to having the same opinion as TreeLover (and I think Zag75 makes some very solid pionts), but I've seen Andy play a couple of times each year since his sophomore year. I may be in the minority, but while I do see potential, I don't agree with many on this board that imply he is a polished offensive machine. He's more coordinated on the offensive end than Sacre or Foster, but I think he's far from having the most polished moves we've seen. As I've said before, I think Andy is a good recruit, but I also have the impression that a lot of people think Andy would have been a top-10 recruit if not for his illness junior year. That sets up very unrealistic expectations in my opinion.

GoZags
06-07-2008, 06:18 PM
......I also have the impression that a lot of people think Andy would have been a top-10 recruit if not for his illness junior year. That sets up very unrealistic expectations in my opinion.

While that might be, it wasn't Gonzaga fans that had Andy one of the Top 3 big men in the nation in his class just 2 years ago. It was Scout.com
--------------------
Heels Watch Poling

By Evan Daniels
Inside Carolina
Posted Apr 26, 2006

With over 300 college coaches on hand, it’s no surprise that the Kingwood Classic could be overwhelming for some players -- but not Andy Poling. The 6-10, 200-pound center played in the Houston event this past weekend and showed high major coaches that he is one of the best big men in the 2008 class.

“I’m used to it,” Poling said of playing in front of high profile coaches. “It makes me play harder. I’ve played before in the big tournaments last year so it wasn’t as big of a deal to me this time.
“There was a bunch of coaches in the gym and stuff. I thought I played well on the block and outside a little bit as well as running the floor that’s pretty much what I do best.”

While he is used to the attention, that didn’t make the experience any less exciting.

“I thought it was pretty cool and pretty special,” he said. “It’s pretty awesome when you see almost every Pac-10 school in the gym. Plus guys like Gonzaga and some other schools, it was pretty special.”

Poling said Ben Howland (UCLA), Lute Olson (Arizona) and Lorenzo Romar (Washington) were the coaches that he noticed the most this weekend. He also noticed an ACC coach at one of his games.

“Roy Williams came to our second game,” said Poling, who averaged 18 points and 10 rebounds for Portland (Ore.) Westview last season.

At this point North Carolina hasn’t shown a substantial amount of interest, but the Tar Heel staff was in touch with Poling’s high school coach prior to Kingwood.

“A little bit through email through my high school coach but not so much with me, maybe soon,” Poling said. “I would consider them.”

Scout.com’s 3rd ranked center in the class of 2008 mentioned Gonzaga, Washington, UCLA and Arizona as the schools that are showing the most interest.

spudzag
06-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Scout had Andy listed as the 3rd best big man in the west last summer, after his illness.

2008 West Coast Rankings: Centers

Jeff Withey By Greg Hicks
West Coast Recruiting Analyst
Posted Jun 22, 2007

The 2008 class of centers in the west is a fairly talented group,
although the depth is just fair. Withey gets the nod for the top spot
after he showed dramatic improvement in the last year. Withey had been somewhat slow to develop, but his skills and approach to the game have gotten much better during the course of his junior year. Gordon's skills have also improved in the last year and he's much more effective scoring around the basket than he was a year ago. He still needs to work on his overall ball skills, but he's easily the best athlete on this list and he has a tremendous upside. Poling is coming along, but his progress has been somewhat slow as his body is still maturing. Once Poling fills out and gets stronger, he should be a very effective player at Gonzaga. Williams is a good-looking young prospect with a very good body. His offensive game is still very raw, but his length and size are very intriguing. He's also an outstanding student, which bodes well for his ability to work hard and improve. Garibay has a great frame and a very nice touch to the stripe. His commitment to the game and his focus on the court, however, are not where they need to be if he is to reach his potential. If Garibay does improve in those areas, he has a chance to be as good as any player on this list.

1) Jeff Withey, 6-11, San Diego (Calif.) Horizon
2) Drew Gordon, 6-8, San Jose (Calif.) Mitty UCLA
3) Andy Poling, 6-10, Portland (Ore.) Westview Gonzaga
4) Tim Williams, 6-8, Antioch (Calif.) High
5) Edgar Garibay, 6-10, Compton (Calif.) High
6) Justin Hamilton, 6-9, Lone Peak (Utah) High
7) Taylor Rohde, 6-8, Phoenix (Ariz.) Pinnacle Arizona State
8) Deangelo Casto, 6-8, Seattle (Wash.) Franklin
9) Corbin Moore, 6-10, Los Alamitos (Calif.) High
10) Daymon Warren, 6-8, El Cerrito (Calif.) High

jake
06-08-2008, 05:42 AM
While that might be, it wasn't Gonzaga fans that had Andy one of the Top 3 big men in the nation in his class just 2 years ago. It was Scout.com

I don't want to beat this issue up, and this is the last time I'll clarify my point. As I've said before, I like the fact that Andy is going to be a Zag. I like his upside. To me that sophomore year ranking (right or wrong) isn't relative to where he's at today. It' like saying he was the fastest kid in his class in junior high so he'll definitely win a state title in high school. I don't think he'll be a bust, I'm only saying that from seeing him play the last two years he is light years away from being one of the top 3 big men in his class. Part of that is due to the illness, but I also think part of that is either due to an inflated ranking as a sophomore or an unrealized (at this point) development curve. Either way, I wish him the best and hope he develops into a solid big man for the Zags.

GoZags
06-08-2008, 06:44 AM
...... I wish him the best and hope he develops into a solid big man for the Zags.

Wholeheartedly agree.

HillBillyZag
06-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Aside from the various opinions offered on individual players roles in the system, I have noticed an increased amount of negative comments and indeed an implied lack of confidence in several present and prospective Zags. These kids may or may, or may not visit this web site, but I am sure some the negativity has reached their ears. I'm not saying that one cannot critque
their game play, that is only part of being a FANatic, but to say that they should resign their scholarships, to tell them that they just don't have what it takes to get us where we need to be, that is just nonproductive and wrong.
This program was built on the backs of quality kids who are for the most part, with a couple notable exceptions, truly student athletes. Speaking only for myself, if what it takes to win a National title demands that we recruit like many of the "Big State U"s and BCS schools that seem to contend on an annual basis, the winning of such a championship would be diminished. I have complete confidence in Coach Few and the Gonzga system, enough to believe that we will get the results we all hope for in the near future. So lighten up on the "negaive vibes", Morriarity!

thebigsmoove
06-09-2008, 12:50 AM
Despite the most hopeful efforts of some of the best Zag fans, I dont think Andy Poling, Will Foster or Robert Sacre will amount to more than roll players on this team. Josh Heytvelt has far and away the most talent of any Zag player in the post and maybe on the entire team, if he can stay healthy and get his energy back, he will be one of the most dominant players in GU history this year, mark my words. Remember the UNC game and how he ate Hansborough and Brandin Wright for lunch? HE DOMINATED! that is the talent level of Heytvelt when his is running on all cylinders. That is the only hope for a post game this year.

BroncoZAG615
06-09-2008, 06:22 AM
I would be sorely disappointed if Sacre did not wind up being a starter and solid contributor for Gonzaga in the coming years.

Although he did only play a few minutes a game, he must have been doing something right to get a spot in the starting lineup game in and game out. He showed some flashes of why he was a 4 star recruit in some games including a pretty solid game against UConn if my memory serves me correct.

I have yet to see Poling play live so I'll reserve judgment and my ship has all but sailed in Will being a big contributor but I think Rob has all the tools and the physicality to be a force in the WCC. He was a freshman last year and was one of the more highly recruited big men in his class. Comparing him to Will is not valid because Rob came in a little more polished and with all the physical tools to dominate.

Don't cast off Rob as a role player this early in his tenure. He has three more years. Except for the rare phenoms like Oden and some others, big men are rarely studs their freshman year. I think he will be a great force for Gonzaga and I say that with complete confidence and very little "Zag colored glasses"

MickMick
06-09-2008, 06:49 AM
Rob Sacre is going to be a beast.

zag67
06-09-2008, 07:28 AM
I agree with Hillbilly.

Just because we do not have anything for spectacular news, does not mean we have to keep with negative comments. We need to put trust in the coaches to pick the right players for our system. Then we also need to give them time to develop.

I think that trying to judge these kids when they are freshmen and sophmores as to their contributions to the program is very harsh. Are they going to make errors and do some bad judgement decisions - YES. Are they going to try and do too much - YES. But at the same time, they need time to grow. These are not the Loves, Mayos, and Durants. They are not the players that are pro ready as freshmen. They are the types of players that the coaches will work with and in "some" cases make them pro ready. In other cases they will be team players that may not be able to make it at the next level. But will contribute to the team.

The GU system is a very team oriented offense and defense set of patterns. Players need time to recognize all of the different options and when to use them. When a player does not feel comfortable with the sceme then they are not going to be as fluid and use their natural ability to its fullest. I think we want to see the players working as a team, finding the open person, and getting them the ball. On defense, knowing where their position is, when to gamble, and how to play "help" defense.

But again this is my opinion. Let the kids play and learn. Let the coaches learn what works best for the players that we have.